Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mark Robbins at Coventry is a fantastic manager 08:08 - Sep 16 with 1530 viewsunstableblue

They play a fantastic style of football, that is entertaining, but also effective

3-4-1-2 but morphs continuously

Beating and carving open Cardiff last night

He and Appleton where my preferred managers, technical, they get more than the sum of parts of their team

Cook was still a good choice, but concerns on his tactical/technical acumen grow and he needs to gel the 19 and fast and get the mind set right

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Mark Robbins at Coventry is a fantastic manager on 08:44 - Sep 16 with 1431 viewsChrisd

Mark Robins gets on with the job quietly with minimal plaudits and invariably proves successful in his managerial roles. Naturally, all managers have a shelf life for one reason or another, but he seems like he has done a good job wherever he's been. The fact Coventry are now in top 6 of the Championship is a terrific effort especially with all the problems they have had off the field too. They were the best side when we faced them in L1 recently and deservedly won the title, they seemed better equipped to stay up and so it proved.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Mark Robbins at Coventry is a fantastic manager on 08:53 - Sep 16 with 1402 viewsBiGDonnie

Wouldn’t have been difficult against a defensive, rigid, one sided MM side though I would have thought.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 9:37]

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

I think beating Mick's physical Cardiff side is an achievement on 14:12 - Sep 16 with 1193 viewsunstableblue

Mark Robbins at Coventry is a fantastic manager on 08:53 - Sep 16 by BiGDonnie

Wouldn’t have been difficult against a defensive, rigid, one sided MM side though I would have thought.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 9:37]

Mick has made them effective, so to out pass and play more attractive style, AND beat Mick's Cardiff is a real achievement.

Stick to a technical passing game in the face of a narrow physical team.

The problem for Cardiff fans is they have to endure the style, worry about how their more technical youth can be brought into it, but know that it is probably keeping them higher up the table on their lesser means.

Its the conundrum Town fans faced; 80% could stand it no longer, but that would probably be lower if you knew the consequences of not replacing Mick with someone effective like Robbins, but with Hurst's and Lamberts, and who know Cook.

Cardiff fans know their squad is underfunded, but there is a price to pay in Mick's style:
https://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223767
https://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223766

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Mark Robbins at Coventry is a fantastic manager on 18:14 - Sep 16 with 1034 viewstractorboy1978

He would come here and be sh!t, you should know how it works by now.
Mark Robbins at Coventry is a fantastic manager on 01:00 - Sep 17 with 834 viewspointofblue

Mark Robbins at Coventry is a fantastic manager on 18:14 - Sep 16 by tractorboy1978

He would come here and be sh!t, you should know how it works by now.

He has a bit of a chequered history - great at Coventry, decent at Rotherham, hit and miss with Barnsley, poor with Huddersfield and struggled at Scunthorpe. Not the role of successes that Cook has had up to us. Sometimes it’s a case of the right manager with the right club.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Mark Robbins at Coventry is a fantastic manager on 08:00 - Sep 17 with 757 viewsOldboy

We have tried all types and none have worked so far. I reckon a total unknown foreigner with no record to compare to in this country.
Mark Robbins at Coventry is a fantastic manager on 08:36 - Sep 17 with 715 viewsChrisd

Mark Robbins at Coventry is a fantastic manager on 01:00 - Sep 17 by pointofblue

He has a bit of a chequered history - great at Coventry, decent at Rotherham, hit and miss with Barnsley, poor with Huddersfield and struggled at Scunthorpe. Not the role of successes that Cook has had up to us. Sometimes it’s a case of the right manager with the right club.

Your points are very valid Point of Blue, I wrongly thought Robbins had been successful in most/all of his managerial roles, but as you say he has struggled at certain clubs. However, his record at Coventry (in two spells) and Rotherham are very impressive:

Rotherham - 43% win percentage
Coventry (1st spell) - 51%
Coventry (currently) - 58%!!!

A 58% win percentage as a Town fan would be rather nice, sadly we can only dream of a that stat like that currently. 😩
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 10:24]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Mark Robbins at Coventry is a fantastic manager on 08:43 - Sep 17 with 693 viewsDanTheMan

Mark Robbins at Coventry is a fantastic manager on 08:00 - Sep 17 by Oldboy

We have tried all types and none have worked so far. I reckon a total unknown foreigner with no record to compare to in this country.

Can't do that anymore because of Brexit.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Mark Robbins at Coventry is a fantastic manager on 08:49 - Sep 17 with 675 viewsOldboy

Mark Robbins at Coventry is a fantastic manager on 01:00 - Sep 17 by pointofblue

The fact he has so many clubs for a relatively young manager would put me off. Like someone else said, perhaps right person right club. We may have found ours but still to show it.
I think beating Mick's physical Cardiff side is an achievement on 12:44 - Sep 17 with 560 viewsSwansea_Blue

I think beating Mick's physical Cardiff side is an achievement on 14:12 - Sep 16 by unstableblue

Mick has made them effective, so to out pass and play more attractive style, AND beat Mick's Cardiff is a real achievement.

Stick to a technical passing game in the face of a narrow physical team.

The problem for Cardiff fans is they have to endure the style, worry about how their more technical youth can be brought into it, but know that it is probably keeping them higher up the table on their lesser means.

Its the conundrum Town fans faced; 80% could stand it no longer, but that would probably be lower if you knew the consequences of not replacing Mick with someone effective like Robbins, but with Hurst's and Lamberts, and who know Cook.

Cardiff fans know their squad is underfunded, but there is a price to pay in Mick's style:
https://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223767
https://www.cardiffcityforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=223766

They're looking a bit iffy at the moment. Forest were battering them before Kieffer Moore cae on to turn the game the other day, and that's a team at the bottom of the table who've just sacked their manager.

Mind you, they're just off the PO positions so he can't be doing that badly with the resources he's got.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024