Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maybe what we all need to do.... 12:01 - Sep 16 with 1491 viewsOriginalMarkyP

...is take some pressure off and apply a bit of honesty.

And say OK. We aren't going to win the league this season. We probably aren't going to get into the playoffs. Can we start winning games? Can we start playing a brand of football that gets us many more positive results than negative ones? Can we start playing a brand of football that's good to watch?

Can we build to promotion next season?

If we can do all that, you never know we might get somewhere THIS season.

(But even as I type it, I doubt it)

Poll: After our 7 goal thrashing of Needham should we?
Blog: Sounds Better in a Song

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 12:08 - Sep 16 with 1446 viewsSteve_M

The idea that we can't make up nine points to make the play-offs is as ridiculous as that that there is no expectation of promotion this season.

This board is just getting more tedious by the day.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 12:10 - Sep 16 with 1435 viewshype313

So you're saying we call it a day mid September?

Some strange takes going on around here lately.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 12:14 - Sep 16 with 1416 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 12:10 - Sep 16 by hype313

So you're saying we call it a day mid September?

Some strange takes going on around here lately.

And all the free passes that have been handed out dont suggest too much pressure!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 12:18 - Sep 16 with 1402 viewsOldboy

Another season written off? Behave yourself.
Maybe what we all need to do.... on 12:18 - Sep 16 with 1405 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 12:08 - Sep 16 by Steve_M

The idea that we can't make up nine points to make the play-offs is as ridiculous as that that there is no expectation of promotion this season.

all it takes is 2 wins or 1 win and a draw against top 6 teams doesnt it? why are people acting like the seasons over?
Maybe what we all need to do.... on 12:20 - Sep 16 with 1389 viewsjayessess

You're not getting anywhere in football with managers and players who can't deal with pressure.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 12:24 - Sep 16 with 1356 viewsJ2BLUE

Can't get in the play offs? With this squad? I'm sorry but that is b0llocks.

It's still promotion or failure for me. This squad is ridiculous. I don't know why people are suddenly claiming it's not as good as we thought because we've lost a few games. There is quality here. It's up to Cook to pick a formation and coach them into a great side.

Giving up on the play offs now is ridiculous.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 12:27 - Sep 16 with 1326 viewsTractorCam

40 games to play.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Login to get fewer ads

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 12:29 - Sep 16 with 1317 viewsOldboy

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 12:24 - Sep 16 by J2BLUE

Can't get in the play offs? With this squad? I'm sorry but that is b0llocks.

It's still promotion or failure for me. This squad is ridiculous. I don't know why people are suddenly claiming it's not as good as we thought because we've lost a few games. There is quality here. It's up to Cook to pick a formation and coach them into a great side.

Giving up on the play offs now is ridiculous.

Exactly what I have been saying. This is a quality squad, just need the manager to get the best out of them. If not him, then someone else will.
Maybe what we all need to do.... on 14:14 - Sep 16 with 1172 viewsSwansea_Blue

Just as a bit of 'fun' I quickly looked at the pts/game rate we'd need in order to make the POs or automatic promotion based on average points for 2nd and 6th in recent seasons.

Just to reach the POs we'd need to average 1.75 pt/game and 2.1 pts/game for automatic promotion. SAR, SBR and Burley averaged about 1.5-1.6 pt/game over their entire time here.

So if we do go up, it's got to be hell of a run! And a pretty big turnaround. Possibly the largest turnaround and best sustained run in our history (or at least since the 1936-37 when we won the Southern League under Mick O'Brien).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Very useful.... and to put into context on 14:35 - Sep 16 with 1128 viewsunstableblue

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 14:14 - Sep 16 by Swansea_Blue

Just as a bit of 'fun' I quickly looked at the pts/game rate we'd need in order to make the POs or automatic promotion based on average points for 2nd and 6th in recent seasons.

Just to reach the POs we'd need to average 1.75 pt/game and 2.1 pts/game for automatic promotion. SAR, SBR and Burley averaged about 1.5-1.6 pt/game over their entire time here.

So if we do go up, it's got to be hell of a run! And a pretty big turnaround. Possibly the largest turnaround and best sustained run in our history (or at least since the 1936-37 when we won the Southern League under Mick O'Brien).

1.75 over the next 6 games would be roughly 3 wins 2 draws and 1 loss

2.1 over the next 6 games would be roughly 4 wins, 1 draw and 1 loss

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 14:41 - Sep 16 with 1118 viewsWD19

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 14:14 - Sep 16 by Swansea_Blue

In 1991-92 we averaged 1.9 points per game.
Maybe what we all need to do.... on 15:05 - Sep 16 with 1069 viewstimothyeo

*sigh* more expectation destroying, when our expectation should be to have got out of this division at the first attempt, and having messed it up twice, we certainly shouldn't a third time.
Maybe what we all need to do.... on 15:37 - Sep 16 with 1011 viewsSwansea_Blue

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 14:41 - Sep 16 by WD19

In 1991-92 we averaged 1.9 points per game.

It's probably fair to say that's our best season in terms of points in modern times, and we'd need to better than that to go up automatically. POs slightly easier of course.

It's possible but the scale of the ask, especially how we've done lately is huge.

I think talk of winning the league is pure fantasy and talk of the playoffs is very much a longshot, but we have to live in hope I suppose. Can't blame them for coming out and saying they still think they can do well.

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 15:50 - Sep 16 with 981 viewsitfcjoe

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 15:37 - Sep 16 by Swansea_Blue

It's probably fair to say that's our best season in terms of points in modern times, and we'd need to better than that to go up automatically. POs slightly easier of course.

It's possible but the scale of the ask, especially how we've done lately is huge.

I think talk of winning the league is pure fantasy and talk of the playoffs is very much a longshot, but we have to live in hope I suppose. Can't blame them for coming out and saying they still think they can do well.

It seems silly to take whole spells of managers and deem it impossible to hit what are fairly achievable points targets.

Accrington are currently in 6th place with 12 points, for them to hit the ~75 points needed to get into the play offs they need 1.58ppg, that sounds a lot less than what we need but realistically we need to pick up 2 points more than they do over every chunk of 8 games between now and the end of the season which is nothing and very easily achievable

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 15:57 - Sep 16 with 947 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 15:50 - Sep 16 by itfcjoe

It seems silly to take whole spells of managers and deem it impossible to hit what are fairly achievable points targets.

Accrington are currently in 6th place with 12 points, for them to hit the ~75 points needed to get into the play offs they need 1.58ppg, that sounds a lot less than what we need but realistically we need to pick up 2 points more than they do over every chunk of 8 games between now and the end of the season which is nothing and very easily achievable

I needed to read this. Just saw a thread on it on twitter which made it sound almost impossible but that makes it sound much better!
Maybe what we all need to do.... on 16:35 - Sep 16 with 888 viewsStadiumofdark

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 15:57 - Sep 16 by abracaDOBRA_

I needed to read this. Just saw a thread on it on twitter which made it sound almost impossible but that makes it sound much better!

it'll be easier to believe if/when we eventually win a game. or even keep a clean sheet.
Maybe what we all need to do.... on 16:40 - Sep 16 with 870 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 16:35 - Sep 16 by Stadiumofdark

it'll be easier to believe if/when we eventually win a game. or even keep a clean sheet.

First win this weekend, scrappy 1-0
Maybe what we all need to do.... on 16:49 - Sep 16 with 844 views_sanctimoanious_

genuinely hate how football has become this stat obsessed over analysed borefest. Let's just take the next game and try to win it! Que sera sera...
Maybe what we all need to do.... on 16:51 - Sep 16 with 838 viewsSamWhiteUK

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 12:08 - Sep 16 by Steve_M

I only found this thread because I wasn't logged in. I div-listed this dippo a long time ago, and thanks god
Maybe what we all need to do.... on 17:21 - Sep 16 with 783 viewsmonty_radio

I don't know about "we all". I doubt whatever happens on this board, or even in the local press, if various managerial statements are to be believed, would make an iota of difference.

Besides which, your less-pressurised suggestion , start to win games, will carry its own pressure if we don't. It's down to the well-paid professionals to get on with the job in hand - paying customers used to be always right.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 21:04 - Sep 16 with 664 viewsSwansea_Blue

Oh I agree. I did mention that it’s easier to sustain a shorter run and it’s just a loose way of looking at things. The 91-92 season probably gives us the better comparator- we’d need a season like that from now on just to make the playoffs, with little room for error.

You never know though. It would be highly unusual to recover from here (I think someone on here looked at that the other day), but is still mathematically possible.

So Burns is right of course: we can still win the league. I just don’t think people realise how monumental an achievement that would be from where we are now after 1/8th of the season gone.

Maybe what we all need to do.... on 00:51 - Sep 17 with 516 viewsHighgateBlue

Cook is hopelessly out of his depth. There is no evidence he can turn it around. He embarrassed us last season, and he's embarrassed himself this season. He has thrown out the baby, the bathwater, and the whole sodding bath, and he has not even one win (in any competition) to show for it. Cook out.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024