Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time 15:51 - Sep 16 with 4078 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

for the first time in 17 years, speaking to more than 250 artists, writers, and industry figures.

I don't know how one undertakes such a task. Like what constitutes a great song anyway? Even the definition is subjective, let alone before you get into preferences.

It piqued my interest because I laughed at a mate declaring the other day that Last Man On Earth by Wolf Alice is the greatest song ever written. I mean, it's a great song, but really? Ahead of all those famous classics? But then who am I to scoff? It's as valid as any other.

And also, surely your favourite songs change on a regular basis, depending on a myriad of factors - your mood at that moment, what was happening when you first heard the song, whether you prefer lyrics or tunes. Even favourite genres can be wildly different, so you end up with comparing apples with oranges.

An interesting discussion at least.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-songs-of-all-time-1224767/

I obviously jumped to number one and couldn't really argue with it. I won't spoil it by revealing it here.

No.5 surprised me. Nirvana, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'. It's a great song, don't get me wrong. iconic for it's time. But the 5th best song EVER?!

The Beatles only have one entry in the top 10, surprisingly. And Strawberry Fields Forever isn't even their best song IMO.

And also, how the hell is Outkast, 'Hey Ya!' the 10th best song ever?!?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 16:04 - Sep 16 with 2538 viewsJ2BLUE

lol @ most of the top 20.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 16:09 - Sep 16 with 2510 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

The Beatles are massively overrated. That said, I am going to take a look. Thanks for posting.
Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 16:10 - Sep 16 with 2505 viewsitfcjoe

I can't imagine anyone sits and reads 500-1 on these, they are just clickbait conversation starters for people to say I can't believe 'x, y and z' as music is so subjective.

You just go there, flick down to top 10 or so and then wonder if Get Your Freak On is really the 8th best song of all time....!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 16:10 - Sep 16 with 2497 viewsFtnfwest

'Come as you are' is pretty much the same as SLTS but is only nr 467... (never been keen on Nirvana just find the disparity hilarious). The whole thing is either a person or group of people's preferences though. Are there any album tracks in it for instance?
The problem with these lists is that.... on 16:11 - Sep 16 with 2498 viewsBloots

...they tend to err towards "most influential" rather than "best".

I can already see a lot of examples of that.

Plus of course people tend to to be desperately pretentious in an attempt to look cool as well.

Personally, I'm disappointed that "The Land of Make Believe" hasn't made the list.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 16:14 - Sep 16 with 2475 viewspositivity

thanks for posting, haven't got time to read the full list, but is the itfc version of singing the blues in there?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 16:15 - Sep 16 with 2474 viewsMookamoo

Where was Bloodsport for All? Must be 30 something...
Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 16:20 - Sep 16 with 2448 viewspositivity

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 16:15 - Sep 16 by Mookamoo

Where was Bloodsport for All? Must be 30 something...

controversially omitted for surfin' usm...

Login to get fewer ads

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 16:28 - Sep 16 with 2420 viewsJohnWarksTash

Missy Elliott, 'Get Ur Freak On' at Number 8...........

I am guessing she was one of the people asked?
Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 16:31 - Sep 16 with 2404 viewsArnoldMoorhen

I love the song that comes in at 2. Number 1 is an interesting choice in comparison.
Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 16:33 - Sep 16 with 2397 viewspositivity

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 16:28 - Sep 16 by JohnWarksTash

Missy Elliott, 'Get Ur Freak On' at Number 8...........

I am guessing she was one of the people asked?

good tune, even survived an eels cover

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:07 - Sep 16 with 2305 viewsusm

What? Where are the Kursaal Flyers?

Any song that contains the lyrics

"I knew that she'd seen me
When she dropped her bikini
The one that I bought her in Rome"

has to be in everyone's top 50.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:15 - Sep 16 with 2257 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Great thread this but that top 10 is just an absolute shambles.

Most of these lists have Oasis rightly at 1 but they weren’t even in the top 10 here. With anything. Shambles. Complete shambles

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:20 - Sep 16 with 2229 viewsBellevueblue

really pleased that Judas Priest - Painkiller was #1
Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:24 - Sep 16 with 2213 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Missy Elliot at number 8.... jeez.... these will reflect what I imagine to be younger tastes as well. Perception of greatness changes through the generations

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:29 - Sep 16 with 2191 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:24 - Sep 16 by BlueandTruesince82

Missy Elliot at number 8.... jeez.... these will reflect what I imagine to be younger tastes as well. Perception of greatness changes through the generations

And yet the No.1 song is from 1967...

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:31 - Sep 16 with 2181 viewsWeWereZombies

I've only scrolled through the bottom fifty but I didn't find a single song in French, Spanish, Arabic, Portuguese, Italian or German. Some good songs in there but the omissions make this a laughably bad list. Also any list of the World's best and most popular songs which does not include 'Ae Fond Kiss' has been drawn up by someone who does not know what they are doing.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:32 - Sep 16 with 2177 viewsTractorWood

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:24 - Sep 16 by BlueandTruesince82

No I'm in my early 30s and think it's a really whacky inclusion.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:35 - Sep 16 with 2162 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:29 - Sep 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

Well there are obviously plenty of older tunes and people who listen to a wider breadth of music but if you glance through the make up it's clear there are a lot of newer songs on there.

They last did it 17 years ago and it's natural that the demographic has changed .

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:39 - Sep 16 with 2151 viewsnoggin

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:15 - Sep 16 by The_Romford_Blue

Most of these lists have Oasis rightly at 1 but they weren’t even in the top 10 here. With anything. Shambles. Complete shambles

"Oasis rightly at 1" in Best Song Of All Time?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:49 - Sep 16 with 2108 viewsJ2BLUE

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:29 - Sep 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

Bloody hell that song is utter sh1te.

Truly impaired.

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:51 - Sep 16 with 2095 viewsJ2BLUE

The biggest pile of sh1t song of all time is at 10. Wow.

Truly impaired.

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:52 - Sep 16 with 2092 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:49 - Sep 16 by J2BLUE

Bloody hell that song is utter sh1te.

You don't like it?

I'm not sure I'd have it at number 1 but a tune none the less.

Penned by Otis Redding and whole load of soul

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 18:11 - Sep 16 with 2034 viewspositivity

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:32 - Sep 16 by TractorWood

No I'm in my early 30s and think it's a really whacky inclusion.

i'm ancient, but it's a great tune and if you're talking influence on music, it deserves a spot.

mind you, if you're talking about influence, don't know how radiohead's idioteque is in the top 50, but nothing by aphex twin...

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 18:15 - Sep 16 with 2024 viewsHerbivore

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:15 - Sep 16 by The_Romford_Blue

Probably because Oasis are sh!te, mate.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024