Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair 19:31 - Sep 16 with 2125 viewsSteve_M

Crashed for the last time.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2021/sep/16/home-computing-pioneer-sir-cl

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 19:45 - Sep 16 with 1814 viewsGuthrum

I was at school in Cambridge when all his stuff was coming out - thus actually saw a C5 in the flesh (well, plastic). The first computer I ever owned was a ZX81.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 19:51 - Sep 16 with 1784 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 19:45 - Sep 16 by Guthrum

I was at school in Cambridge when all his stuff was coming out - thus actually saw a C5 in the flesh (well, plastic). The first computer I ever owned was a ZX81.

We had a Spectrum. The school I was at was cutting edge and had a room fitted out with Commodore 64s.

To imagine how different the world is thanks to the development of home computing technology.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 20:23 - Sep 16 with 1705 viewsBlueBoots

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 19:51 - Sep 16 by Nthsuffolkblue

We had a Spectrum. The school I was at was cutting edge and had a room fitted out with Commodore 64s.

To imagine how different the world is thanks to the development of home computing technology.

Little something for those of us that did have a ZX Spectrum...

http://torinak.com/qaop/games

Poll: My morning poo-poo took 3 flushes to clear. Who do I call?

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 20:32 - Sep 16 with 1680 viewsIllinoisblue

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 20:23 - Sep 16 by BlueBoots

Superb. I now have to waste hours trawling through that list of games trying to find a game i used to play for hours on end. It was set underwater and you explored a complex labyrinth of caves. I can picture it but can’t for the life of me remember the name

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 20:38 - Sep 16 with 1657 viewsBudapestByBlimp

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 20:32 - Sep 16 by Illinoisblue

Superb. I now have to waste hours trawling through that list of games trying to find a game i used to play for hours on end. It was set underwater and you explored a complex labyrinth of caves. I can picture it but can’t for the life of me remember the name

Could it be Scuba Dive:

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 20:40 - Sep 16 with 1654 viewsIllinoisblue

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 20:38 - Sep 16 by BudapestByBlimp

Could it be Scuba Dive:

That’s a good guess but it’s not right. The character in the game I’m thinking of had a sort of cone-shaped head.

62 - 78 - 81

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 20:45 - Sep 16 with 1635 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 20:32 - Sep 16 by Illinoisblue

All computer games should begin with listening to data play through a tape recorder while it loads.

TWTD.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 20:55 - Sep 16 with 1607 viewsBudapestByBlimp

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 20:40 - Sep 16 by Illinoisblue

That’s a good guess but it’s not right. The character in the game I’m thinking of had a sort of cone-shaped head.

Eeermm, that's narrowed things down a bit, can't imagine many underwater games featuring a cone-headed main character. Still doesn't ring any bells with me, unless it was Dizzy with the egg-shaped player and it had underwater sections?

Login to get fewer ads

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 21:01 - Sep 16 with 1583 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

There was a C5 parked* up on Ipswich waterfront a few years back prior to a home fixture. Quite a crowd gathered for a gander. First time i'd seen one in the plastic.

*Parked in the loosest sense of the word.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 23:15 - Sep 16 with 1431 viewsMelford

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 20:55 - Sep 16 by BudapestByBlimp

Eeermm, that's narrowed things down a bit, can't imagine many underwater games featuring a cone-headed main character. Still doesn't ring any bells with me, unless it was Dizzy with the egg-shaped player and it had underwater sections?

I ***king loved my Spectrum. Spent hours playing those Dizzy games, the puzzles were so hard with the different objects you had to find/collect/use. Find the tweezers to take the thorn out of the Lion's paw, and he'll give you this to use with this to move this that will open this. Then you had to be so precise with the jumping.

Remember getting this bad boy for Christmas back in the day
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnum_Light_Phaser
https://www.crashonline.org.uk/67/magnum.htm
Playing Bullesye with this
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 23:27]

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 23:31 - Sep 16 with 1405 viewsbluelagos

10 Type "JoBloggs is a knob"
20 Goto 10

Every juvenie boy's first progran back in the day. Alternative names and or insults were available.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 23:59 - Sep 16 with 1383 viewsBasingstokeBlue

I saw somebody driving a C5 in rush-hour traffic only 18 months ago.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 00:17 - Sep 17 with 1371 viewsIllinoisblue

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 23:15 - Sep 16 by Melford

I ***king loved my Spectrum. Spent hours playing those Dizzy games, the puzzles were so hard with the different objects you had to find/collect/use. Find the tweezers to take the thorn out of the Lion's paw, and he'll give you this to use with this to move this that will open this. Then you had to be so precise with the jumping.

Holy cow, that was a thing?! An actual Sinclair official product? How am I only now seeing this?

62 - 78 - 81

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 00:24 - Sep 17 with 1365 viewsstonojnr

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 21:01 - Sep 16 by StochesStotasBlewe

There was a C5 parked* up on Ipswich waterfront a few years back prior to a home fixture. Quite a crowd gathered for a gander. First time i'd seen one in the plastic.

*Parked in the loosest sense of the word.

though it increasingly clashes with the final game of the season thesedays,especially with the shift to 12pm kick offs, the annual (well covid permitting) Ipswich to Felixstowe historic vehicle run usually has a collection of them, I think theres one in the Ipswich transport museum on display. But there were 5 or 6 I think at the last one, and they all made it to Felixstowe.

lucky enough to have actually driven/ridden one back in the day, would have been so good as a kind of electric go kart racer.
Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 01:44 - Sep 17 with 1324 viewsITFC_History

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 20:23 - Sep 16 by BlueBoots

This one is the one i use. Many more games on here

http://www.playnvg.tk/games/a
Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 06:57 - Sep 17 with 1203 viewssolomon

Would love to see the Beeb re run their docu drama the micro men. Fantastic TV with a brilliant cast, Alexander Armstrong portrayed Clive Sinclair perfectly right down to those notorious office outbursts.
Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 08:11 - Sep 17 with 1169 viewsSteve_M

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 00:17 - Sep 17 by Illinoisblue

Holy cow, that was a thing?! An actual Sinclair official product? How am I only now seeing this?

Yep, pretty sure my brother had one but don't remember it being very good.

Also, just seen this which would confuse kids who think waiting a second for an app to load is too long.

[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 9:24]

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 08:25 - Sep 17 with 1144 viewsWeWereZombies

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 01:44 - Sep 17 by ITFC_History

This one is the one i use. Many more games on here

http://www.playnvg.tk/games/a

Thanks for that, I am now fully reminded about the steam train simulation for the ZX81 in which I failed every time to get from London to Brighton, usually perishing in a fatally hot cloud of steam inside a tunnel:

http://www.playnvg.tk/#!southernbelle

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 09:04 - Sep 17 with 1118 viewsTrequartista

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 23:31 - Sep 16 by bluelagos

20 Goto 10

Every juvenie boy's first progran back in the day. Alternative names and or insults were available.

*Print

(Syntax error at 10)

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 09:23 - Sep 17 with 1112 viewsfarkenhell

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 23:31 - Sep 16 by bluelagos

20 Goto 10

I had a mate who made a very simple game on the spectrum where you had to enter co-ordinates to drop a bomb on a target, which would reveal a "Well Done" message or something like that. We were playing it one lunchtime in the school's "computer room" (which was an area at the back of a junk room resplendent with 2 spectrums), quickly became bored, so started to take turns in changing the message. I distinctly remember "xxx is a knob"! I think one of us changed it to "F*** OFF YOU C***", when suddenly the deputy head appeared, seemingly genuinely interested in what we were doing and delighted about our creativity (although I later realised that she was probably just grateful that we hadn't been caught smoking in one of the usual places). Anyhoo, she proceeded to wait and watch until the end of lunch bell, whilst of course we had to continue to take turns in missing the target. I can still remember sweating and butterflies in the stomach every time my mate took his turn - and I know he felt the same on my go. I still wonder whether she knew what we were up to - most probably did.
Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 09:28 - Sep 17 with 1098 viewschicoazul

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 23:15 - Sep 16 by Melford

Wow you were well rich

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 13:29 - Sep 17 with 1049 viewsIllinoisblue

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 08:11 - Sep 17 by Steve_M

Yep, pretty sure my brother had one but don't remember it being very good.

Also, just seen this which would confuse kids who think waiting a second for an app to load is too long.

[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 9:24]

Oh the memories! RIP Sir Clive, a true innovator

62 - 78 - 81

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 13:36 - Sep 17 with 1038 viewsTJS

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 13:29 - Sep 17 by Illinoisblue

Oh the memories! RIP Sir Clive, a true innovator

Probably my all time favourite

I still remember one rainy 1980's summer holiday morning with my older brother drawing out a map of this jungle.
Graphics still look great today.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 13:38]
Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 15:28 - Sep 17 with 998 viewsSteve_M

Here's a good article which clearly belong in this thread:

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2021/sep/17/clive-sinclair-zx-spectrum-offbeat

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 22:13 - Sep 17 with 931 viewsMelford

Farewell Sir Clive Sinclair on 13:36 - Sep 17 by TJS

Probably my all time favourite

I still remember one rainy 1980's summer holiday morning with my older brother drawing out a map of this jungle.
Graphics still look great today.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 13:38]

This was probably my favourite, spent hours on this. My mum and dad really got into playing it too

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024