Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon 23:49 - Sep 16 with 5197 viewsunstableblue

It’s 2021!!
[Post edited 16 Sep 2021 23:49]

Poll: With Freddie leaving, who is the striker in the McKenna song “xxx in attack”?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 01:13 - Sep 17 with 2126 viewsHARRY10

I expect it is just shyte to over excite the righties/bigots, that something is being 'taken back' - though the irony of the bloated buffoon warbling about how food is measured, when there is an ever growing shortage of the stuff in the shops will probably be lost on those self same numpties.

But there is a serious side to this, as it is one of the true aims of brexit now crawling out from the dark.

In the Alice in Wonderland world of brexit the aim is to remove current protections in regard to GM crops, clinical trials and vehicle emissions which we are now told are bad things

Whereas increased delays, and hold ups at ports, with more than 4 million extra forms now required to be filled in are a good thing......it would appear.
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 06:55 - Sep 17 with 1987 viewsnoggin

Ha Ha Ha. This is how votes are won in Backward Britain in 2021.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 07:13 - Sep 17 with 1965 viewsDanTheMan

Why would we regress to a system that makes no sense?

Might as well start using fahrenheit whilst we're at it.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 07:42 - Sep 17 with 1906 viewsDubtractor

Great isn't it? A cabinet reshuffle and a return to measurements only understood by weed dealers, and they have successfully distracted from a cut in universal credit.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 07:59 - Sep 17 with 1863 viewsSteve_M

Don't get sucked into a culture war trap, it's a headline designed to encourage a small subset of the population and provoke reactions in another large chunk of it. Like this government does all the time.

It's as likely to happen as a new royal yacht.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:00 - Sep 17 with 1855 viewsWeWereZombies

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 07:13 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

To be honest I have never really come to terms with making an instant judgement on what Celsius temperatures mean for the day ahead and always do a bit of mental arithmetic to convert them into Fahrenheit to assess whether 25°C is equable or really warm (and at 77°F that counts as really warm in Scotland). But it is telling that taking back control of that would mean reverting to a system devised by someone born in Gdańsk in what was the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth before he settled in The Hague and some years later came up with his temperature scale. So not in the least bit European then...
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 8:08]

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:05 - Sep 17 with 1837 viewsGlasgowBlue

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 07:13 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

I bet you five Guineas that it will never catch on. Now I must go. I have a ten furlong run to do. Have to shed a few pounds after downing a kilderkin of ale over the weekend.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:12 - Sep 17 with 1813 viewsDanTheMan

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:05 - Sep 17 by GlasgowBlue

I bet you five Guineas that it will never catch on. Now I must go. I have a ten furlong run to do. Have to shed a few pounds after downing a kilderkin of ale over the weekend.

Today I learned that Kilderkin is a thing.

It's now led me down a rabbit hole.

"The hogshead of beer and ale was equal to a quarter of a tun, half a butt, a barrel and a half, or three kilderkins. This unit is close in size to the wine hogshead."

I give up.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:16 - Sep 17 with 1794 viewsGlasgowBlue

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:12 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

Today I learned that Kilderkin is a thing.

It's now led me down a rabbit hole.

"The hogshead of beer and ale was equal to a quarter of a tun, half a butt, a barrel and a half, or three kilderkins. This unit is close in size to the wine hogshead."

I give up.

Firkin ell.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 8:17]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:20 - Sep 17 with 1782 viewsElderGrizzly

It's what the Tories and their media 'partners' do.

Deflect with the ridiculous to distract from the callous.
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:37 - Sep 17 with 1740 viewsZx1988

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 07:42 - Sep 17 by Dubtractor

Great isn't it? A cabinet reshuffle and a return to measurements only understood by weed dealers, and they have successfully distracted from a cut in universal credit.

You forgot to mention Shamima Begum as well...

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:43 - Sep 17 with 1702 viewschicoazul

Good. An excellent idea. I doubt it will happen of course but I wish it would.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:44 - Sep 17 with 1692 viewschicoazul

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 07:59 - Sep 17 by Steve_M

Don't get sucked into a culture war trap, it's a headline designed to encourage a small subset of the population and provoke reactions in another large chunk of it. Like this government does all the time.

It's as likely to happen as a new royal yacht.

Correct on all counts.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:55 - Sep 17 with 1665 viewsBeckets

It’s to distract the old folk from the fact they’ve reneged on the triple lock pension promise.
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:02 - Sep 17 with 1647 viewshype313

It will excite 52% of the population.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:07 - Sep 17 with 1624 viewsKeno

I'm sure that he is trying to go the extra mile to appeal to the gallons of voters for whom pound for round this is a subject that raises their temperate by several degrees fahrenheit

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:27 - Sep 17 with 1586 viewsloftboy

The idea is to use Fahrenheit when it’s hot and centigrade when it’s cold!!
On Imperial measurements I was taught them in infants school but have pretty much got used to metric many years ago, even use kilos when I weigh myself, surely this is only going to confuse the older generation going back to imperial?
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:57 - Sep 17 with 1539 viewsBasuco

Decimal is so simple most can count from 1 to 10, grams and kilograms are so much more accurate, how can 16 drams to an ounce, 16 ounces to a pound, 7 pounds to a clove, 14 pounds to a stone, 112 pounds to a hundredweight, 20 hundredweight to a ton, be easier?
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:59 - Sep 17 with 1531 viewsSwansea_Blue

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:16 - Sep 17 by GlasgowBlue

Firkin ell.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 8:17]

Firkin idiots!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 10:06 - Sep 17 with 1506 viewsSwansea_Blue

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 09:57 - Sep 17 by Basuco

Decimal is so simple most can count from 1 to 10, grams and kilograms are so much more accurate, how can 16 drams to an ounce, 16 ounces to a pound, 7 pounds to a clove, 14 pounds to a stone, 112 pounds to a hundredweight, 20 hundredweight to a ton, be easier?

With a bit of luck they'll trial it on Priti Patel* and then realise what a stupid idea it is, given that she already struggles with metric (besides people can already trade in the UK in lbs and oz if they want to).

Surely this has to be a non-story, as Steve_M suggests. I can't see any logical reason why you'd actually do this, although I can see a reason why they would say they're thinking of doing it, just to give the impression there's a Brexit Bonus. Next step will be a quiet u-turn when it's announced that because of practicalities & cost, people can sell in either decimal or imperial (i.e. things stay exactly the same as they are now) but the brexiteers think they've all had a win. Job done.

*and they could also test it out on Diane Abbott, just to keep our Daily Mail readers happy.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

He should be concentrating on.... on 10:09 - Sep 17 with 1491 viewsBloots

....sorting out Santi's work permit.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 10:09 - Sep 17 with 1488 viewssotd78

I'll give you two bob or a florin if you insist if you can work out how to get Conservative and sharlatans into the same sentence

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 10:20 - Sep 17 with 1462 viewsFtnfwest

oh whatever, mines a 473 millilitres please
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:07 - Sep 17 with 1422 viewsCotty

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 08:43 - Sep 17 by chicoazul

Good. An excellent idea. I doubt it will happen of course but I wish it would.

Why is it a good idea to allow shop stalls to exclusively use measures that haven't been taught in schools for decades?
Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:15 - Sep 17 with 1405 viewsWeWereZombies

Really Boris? Is this what you think our country needs to focus upon on 11:07 - Sep 17 by Cotty

Why is it a good idea to allow shop stalls to exclusively use measures that haven't been taught in schools for decades?

True, but one thing I would like to see much more than all this is for measures and ingredients to be prominently displayed in type large enough to be read at first glance. There is a whole lot of disinformation going on in packaging that seems to slip by most domestic purchasers.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024