Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! 10:08 - Sep 17 with 1645 viewsgringoblue

I'm taking my boy (6 and half) to his first Town game on Saturday at Lincoln. Does anyone have any tips for making it a pleasurable and memorable experience? Or failing that how to get through it without him getting bored rigid?! He has been badgering me to watch a game for a while but thinks the stadiums are all as big as Wembley!
Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 10:10 - Sep 17 with 1623 viewsBiGDonnie

Tips? Maybe take him to see another team?

Only joking, he’ll love it, the result aside. Hope he has a great day.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 10:15 - Sep 17 with 1604 viewsSwansea_Blue

Get near the front if you can and let him stand on the seat to get a good view.

Maybe, and if time, go into Lincoln before hand and have lunch together or go and have a look in a toy shop or something, just to make it a slightly bigger occasion.

Depends on your lad, but he may need a distraction (favourite book or toy). Mine didn't at that age I don't think, but that also depends on the game.

Tell him beforehand to ignore any naughty words he hears.

Most important, be prepared to go with the flow. Relax and enjoy. If he loves it, great. If he hates it and wants to leave, then that's fine too.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 10:23 - Sep 17 with 1569 viewsTJS

Make sure he has a wee as near to kick-off as possible otherwise you will inevitably hear Ipswich score while you are in the toilet.
Actually maybe ignore this advice as we need all the help we can get at the moment.
Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 10:25 - Sep 17 with 1558 viewsFunge

Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 10:15 - Sep 17 by Swansea_Blue

Maybe, and if time, go into Lincoln before hand and have lunch together or go and have a look in a toy shop or something, just to make it a slightly bigger occasion.

Depends on your lad, but he may need a distraction (favourite book or toy). Mine didn't at that age I don't think, but that also depends on the game.

Most important, be prepared to go with the flow. Relax and enjoy. If he loves it, great. If he hates it and wants to leave, then that's fine too.

Great post, agree with all of that.

Re: language - I tell the kids that its 'football language' - what is said inside the ground, is not to be repeated outside the ground...

(As it happens, both kids think d'Urso is a prick)
Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 10:27 - Sep 17 with 1549 viewsHerbivore

Bring a blindfold.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 10:39 - Sep 17 with 1514 viewshomer_123

Get lost on the way to Lincoln and miss the game.

He'll be upset but it will be easier to deal with that than making him watch us get slaughtered at Lincoln.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 10:43 - Sep 17 with 1488 viewsMookamoo

Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 10:15 - Sep 17 by Swansea_Blue

When appropriate, give him your phone to document the day. Take selfies etc to send to family. Take loads of videos and photos - perhaps then do a scrapbook or photobook. It will be great to look back on when he is older.

Take in the whole experience - get a crap hot dog from outside the ground, get the programme etc, go and say hello to fellow town fans. Those will be the moments he takes away from the day. The football is almost irrelevant - its all about the day with you that he will remember.
Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 11:39 - Sep 17 with 1406 viewsSwansea_Blue

Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 10:43 - Sep 17 by Mookamoo

When appropriate, give him your phone to document the day. Take selfies etc to send to family. Take loads of videos and photos - perhaps then do a scrapbook or photobook. It will be great to look back on when he is older.

Take in the whole experience - get a crap hot dog from outside the ground, get the programme etc, go and say hello to fellow town fans. Those will be the moments he takes away from the day. The football is almost irrelevant - its all about the day with you that he will remember.

That's a very good point. Photos are really good and yes, just get stuck in to the whole atmosphere. You're right, the football is secondary really. I took my boy to Anfield for his first away game when he was about 6 and the thing he remembers from it is going to the Lego shop before and standing next to Lee Trundle in the stands (it was a Swans match).

He saw us win at Villa Park and he talks more about the curry buffet before with the other town fans!

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 15:13 - Sep 17 with 1313 viewslincolnred

Away from the football the town of Lincoln has a the collection museum(free) an interesting look at the archaeology of the region and certainly of interest to kids and if you follow up steep hill then you land on the Castle and Cathedral at the top of the town and there is a food market this Saturday adjacent to both key sites.
Hope your lad has a great day out.
Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 15:39 - Sep 17 with 1275 viewsLesta_Tractor

Don't let him have any fizzy drinks, took my nephew to his first rugby match last week and spent half of the match taking him to the bogs as his tiny child bladder couldn't handle a can of coke...

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 16:24 - Sep 17 with 1232 viewsFrankfurtBlue

Tell him that unlike at school or home, he can shout his mouth off as much as he likes. Teach him some of the easier songs, like EEJB, Every Saturday we follow.

Also, take some of his favourite food with you, or some treats that he wouldn't normally get. Some sweets to share around with others in the hope that he makes friends too.

Hope he sees a win for his first Town game and thoroughly enjoys it!
Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 17:05 - Sep 17 with 1173 viewsSamWhiteUK

You realise that if we win, you are obliged to take him to every game from then on?
Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 19:59 - Sep 17 with 1075 viewsgringoblue

Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 17:05 - Sep 17 by SamWhiteUK

You realise that if we win, you are obliged to take him to every game from then on?

thanks everyone, appreciate you all taking the time to respond!
Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 20:44 - Sep 17 with 1032 viewsistanblue

Does he like booing?
Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 20:57 - Sep 17 with 1004 viewsPlums

Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 15:13 - Sep 17 by lincolnred

Away from the football the town of Lincoln has a the collection museum(free) an interesting look at the archaeology of the region and certainly of interest to kids and if you follow up steep hill then you land on the Castle and Cathedral at the top of the town and there is a food market this Saturday adjacent to both key sites.
Hope your lad has a great day out.

Great shouts but be aware that the ground is a reasonable walk from the city centre for a six year old. Hope he has a great day, it’s one for you both to treasure.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 00:19 - Sep 18 with 884 viewsTheBoyBlue

Have sweets, treats, etc to hand in case the noise gets a bit much. Or whatever else soothes him. Just in case.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 07:39 - Sep 18 with 792 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Taking my boy to his first match at Lincoln - tips wanted! on 10:39 - Sep 17 by homer_123

Get lost on the way to Lincoln and miss the game.

He'll be upset but it will be easier to deal with that than making him watch us get slaughtered at Lincoln.

No. Go to the match but leave after 10 minutes when we're leading 2-0 rather than at the end when we've lost 8-2.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024