Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did you enjoy School? 10:42 - Sep 17 with 4081 viewshype313

My son said to me yesterday "Dad did you like School"? and to be honest it's not something I've ever really thought about, but it did get me thinking "Did I?" And on the whole I probably didn't, I enjoyed the 4th and 5th year of high school, more for the social aspect, but before that I found it quite unpleasant.

Maybe that was due to the fact that I wasn't mature enough or intelligent enough to try and make the most of what I was getting for free, in more recent years I have attended college in the evening to learn Spanish which has been great fun, but that's down to the fact that I want to learn, I want to engage, rather than it being imposed on me.

So in the end I told a white lie, I said I did, because I want him to understand that it is a great opportunity and I don't want him to view it in the same light as me, due to my immaturity at the time.

But on the whole, I'd have to say I don't look back with very fond memories.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Did you enjoy School? on 10:50 - Sep 17 with 2169 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

An interesting topic.

I would also say, on the whole, I did not really enjoy school. I did not *not* enjoy it but I would have much rather been doing something else I guess.

Again, like you, the social aspect was good but I am not in touch with anyone from my school days now 30yrs on. If I could go back knowing what I know now of course I would sit there like an sponge and really put a shift in.
Did you enjoy School? on 11:00 - Sep 17 with 2138 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I only vaguely remember infant school in the 60‘s so would be hard to give an honest answer.
I do however have not particularly happy memories of middle school or high school. Mainly because I was only academically any good at history and geography so to me, the rest of it was a waste of bloody time.
Happiest day for me was the day I left tbh and knew I was starting work the following week.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Did you enjoy School? on 11:01 - Sep 17 with 2139 viewsSteve_M

That was clearly the right answer to your son.

I think I did enjoy school on the whole, it helped being academically bright as a child so nothing was too difficult. Bits of secondary school were crap but other kids at that age can be tw ats, but that was only odd days.

Not sure I enjoyed sixth form though, had cruised through GCSEs and didn't make the step up in motivation needed. Not like I had the best time socially either although I made up for both when I went to uni.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Did you enjoy School? on 11:07 - Sep 17 with 2119 viewsitfcjoe

People used to say 'these are the best days of your life' and even then I thought I can see why.

I was naturally quite intelligent at school which meant I didn't need to work particularly hard, could get away with doing the bare minimum and scrawling homework down before school etc so for me it was just seeing my mates every day, playing lots of sport, and just going out a lot with what are now life long friends.

My tough times were around exam results, because I didn't do as well as I should have done, because I didn't put the work in (as mentioned above).....but I still got where I needed to get to....until i got caught out at uni and dropped out as the lack of work ethic into my studies finally caught up with me! I'd got into a top university despite doing fúck all for 7 years at school bar the bare minimum so had had a good run!

If I could go back now and do it again, I let myself down and let some amazing opportunities slip by - but I am what I am so no doubt it wouldn't be any different.

I've just finished a part time degree, and took exactly the same approach of doing the bare minimum and walked away with a good degree - so it would be naive to think I'd be any different - if it doesn't engage me then I can't go the extra mile, luckily my work generally does and I've got on alright in jobs I've had and progressed!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Did you enjoy School? on 11:19 - Sep 17 with 2069 viewsDubtractor

I enjoyed 6th form, but didn't enjoy school at all before that.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Did you enjoy School? on 11:26 - Sep 17 with 2049 viewsWeWereZombies

I look back on it with more fondness that I think I had for it at the time. Also, I enjoy learning things much more now than I did at school but if I had not learned what I did at school then learning things now would be much more difficult.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Did you enjoy School? on 11:39 - Sep 17 with 1980 viewsFtnfwest

By and large yes, you have moments you'd probably never want again and some great highs. Bit like life i guess. As others have said i think it's fair to say it got slightly better as you got older. Socially life took off far more once i started work/went to Uni (worked for a year before i went to Uni)
Did you enjoy School? on 11:40 - Sep 17 with 1980 viewsBarcaBlue

I reckon I absolutely loved it but that may be more about nostalgia and hindsight. At the time I'd have probably said it was ok but didn't realize how lucky I was until later.

With one exception the teachers were great. My English teacher was a big Town fan and encouraged everyone to get to Portman Road to sing out their frustrations. In the sixth form and afterwards went out for beers with a couple of the economics teachers, and even the "strict" geography bud turned out to be a really funny guy.

Most of all though would be the friendships. My best mates all come from school days (one from nursery school). We still meet up every couple of months on Skype but due to geography rarely get together, the last meet up was about 15 years ago. I've moved about quite a lot since leaving school and friendships forged them have been the only constant.

With a serious head on I'd tell my kids that schooldays are just a background to a time of opportunity.
Login to get fewer ads

Did you enjoy School? on 11:44 - Sep 17 with 1969 viewsBasuco

I do not have an academic mind, I struggled at school so did not like it at all and couldn't wait to leave, but did City & Guilds at technical college and I thrived and loved it, maybe 3 month's block release or being a paid apprentice helped, maybe it was because it was based on real electronics so I could relate to it more. I don't know, but I do fear for kids like me now, as without good exam results work and further education seems difficult. I now have enough experience to not need exam success.
You do need to tell your son that exam results and working hard at school are much more important than they used to be and will shape his future.
Did you enjoy School? on 11:45 - Sep 17 with 1961 viewshomer_123

I suspect, like most, it was largely dependent on the teacher. I can remember those teachers that made subjects interesting, relevant and I really enjoyed those.

Some teachers though - whether it was me being a little oik or just that they weren't very good meant many lessons were just awful.

The answer is, overall, no - not really and I don't miss it.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Did you enjoy School? on 11:48 - Sep 17 with 1954 viewshomer_123

Did you enjoy School? on 11:44 - Sep 17 by Basuco

I do not have an academic mind, I struggled at school so did not like it at all and couldn't wait to leave, but did City & Guilds at technical college and I thrived and loved it, maybe 3 month's block release or being a paid apprentice helped, maybe it was because it was based on real electronics so I could relate to it more. I don't know, but I do fear for kids like me now, as without good exam results work and further education seems difficult. I now have enough experience to not need exam success.
You do need to tell your son that exam results and working hard at school are much more important than they used to be and will shape his future.

'You do need to tell your son that exam results and working hard at school are much more important than they used to be'

Interestingly, that isn't really the case. With the work we do - I can share with you that when it comes to recruitment - organisations are now far more interested in 'fit' as opposed to technical ability and exam success.

Far better for kids to be learning how to communicate and relate to others (social media is killing this), critical thinking and reasoning, empathy and other such traits - this will stand them in far better stead than just a degree.

That's not to say Uni and degrees aren't important but businesses and organisations are savvy to the fact that they don't quite have the same level of importance and cache that they used to have.

EDIT: working hard and applying yourself is important - working smartly is more important.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 12:02]

Did you enjoy School? on 11:53 - Sep 17 with 1934 viewstractorboy1978

Did you enjoy School? on 11:40 - Sep 17 by BarcaBlue

I reckon I absolutely loved it but that may be more about nostalgia and hindsight. At the time I'd have probably said it was ok but didn't realize how lucky I was until later.

With one exception the teachers were great. My English teacher was a big Town fan and encouraged everyone to get to Portman Road to sing out their frustrations. In the sixth form and afterwards went out for beers with a couple of the economics teachers, and even the "strict" geography bud turned out to be a really funny guy.

Most of all though would be the friendships. My best mates all come from school days (one from nursery school). We still meet up every couple of months on Skype but due to geography rarely get together, the last meet up was about 15 years ago. I've moved about quite a lot since leaving school and friendships forged them have been the only constant.

With a serious head on I'd tell my kids that schooldays are just a background to a time of opportunity.

I loved Sixth Form for the reason you've mentioned in your second paragraph. Don't know whether my attitude towards teachers changed or whether theirs towards you changed as they treated you more like an adult (probably both). I remember going to the pub with our History teacher and several teachers that you began to have more kind of life insight conversations with than pure academic ones. Some great laughs.
Did you enjoy School? on 11:58 - Sep 17 with 1923 viewstractorboy1978

Did you enjoy School? on 11:48 - Sep 17 by homer_123

'You do need to tell your son that exam results and working hard at school are much more important than they used to be'

Interestingly, that isn't really the case. With the work we do - I can share with you that when it comes to recruitment - organisations are now far more interested in 'fit' as opposed to technical ability and exam success.

Far better for kids to be learning how to communicate and relate to others (social media is killing this), critical thinking and reasoning, empathy and other such traits - this will stand them in far better stead than just a degree.

That's not to say Uni and degrees aren't important but businesses and organisations are savvy to the fact that they don't quite have the same level of importance and cache that they used to have.

EDIT: working hard and applying yourself is important - working smartly is more important.

We had several new starters (from school/Uni) at my previous place of work that would come in, turn the laptop on and stick earphones in and send Skype messages to people sitting 5-10 seconds away from them if they had any questions. Something I quickly tried to stamp out. Communication and being able to build human working relationships is something getting far worse IMO.
Did you enjoy School? on 12:01 - Sep 17 with 1903 viewsBasuco

Did you enjoy School? on 11:48 - Sep 17 by homer_123

Thinking about it my last two jobs were all about fit, my current role I had no experience on the systems I now support, at the interviews, one telephone and two face to face, my new boss just said "you will pick them up quickly and easily." We have great fun when in the office, we all get along really well, which makes for a brilliant work life balance.
Did you enjoy School? on 12:02 - Sep 17 with 1901 viewsPendejo

No

Primary School on receiving end of some bullying from a pair of lads 2 years older, got better after they left.

Secondary School had its moments of fun and whilst I landed in A stream classes whether I did well or not tended to depend on how engaging I found the teachers or whether I had an interest in the subject.
I will credit Maths teachers Mr. Horlock and Mr. Page and demerits to Mr. C*********r or Ms. H***s, who both appeared to take enough of a dislike to me to make my life a misery. Ms. H refused to enter me for my "O" Level in her subject, so my father paid for me to do it, I got an "A".

Due to a "gang" issue at the school can't recall much in the way of bullying, a being a regular attender at PR meant I was known to both gangs, so didn't get any grief from either. The "gang" issue involved a racist element, NF used to leaflet at the school gates.

Mr. C. mentioned earlier is why I left school at 15 and had earned my 2nd monthly paypacket by 16th birthday, admittedly my birthday is right at end of August. He really put me off further education.

Notwithstanding my current employment position, and previous ones, I would have got further quicker had I done "A" Levels and a degree, which is why I supported my kids thru education more actively than my father did for me.

I don't live anywhere near where I went to school so don't meet anyone regularly, but I am in WhatsApp contact with 2, both of whom lived on the same street as me up to 1980.

The best thing about secondary school was 5th year and bunking off with girls to ... Well use your imagination.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 12:09]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Did you enjoy School? on 12:03 - Sep 17 with 1890 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Liked some of it, didn’t like a lot of it. Went to a good state school but I found the teaching to be generally poor and they were far too lenient with others in the class that would distract etc. I cruised basically and fortunately did pretty well. I enjoyed all the sport and social stuff but unless you came from a really good home like mine you were really chancing it in terms of whether you’d do well or not.

My parents and grandparents focused on us a lot before we went to school which I think held me in pretty good stead and fundamentally gave me the work ethic and early life experiences to do well.

I often wonder how different it would have been to go to one of the top public schools. Those I work with now I’d say 70% took that route. Some stand out, some average so perhaps it’s all just very subjective.
Did you enjoy School? on 12:10 - Sep 17 with 1835 viewstextbackup

Loved it.

you see your actual friends (not tw.ats you are put next to at work) every single day

play football twice a day.

looked at girls bras through their tops.

few ups and downs granted, but school, for me, was brilliant.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 12:12]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Did you enjoy School? on 12:13 - Sep 17 with 1818 viewsJ2BLUE

No it was crap.

Sixth Form was marginally better but at the same time worse.

When people say it is the best time of your life they are talking about the time outside of school IMO. Having a ton of free time to spend with your mates. I look back on summers which seemed to last forever where I went to the park virtually every day with a big group of mates and played football from the moment the park opened until it got too dark to see the ball.

I think my life probably hit a peak about age 10 which is rather sad really but whatever.

TWTD.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Did you enjoy School? on 12:23 - Sep 17 with 1776 viewshomer_123

Did you enjoy School? on 12:13 - Sep 17 by J2BLUE

No it was crap.

Sixth Form was marginally better but at the same time worse.

When people say it is the best time of your life they are talking about the time outside of school IMO. Having a ton of free time to spend with your mates. I look back on summers which seemed to last forever where I went to the park virtually every day with a big group of mates and played football from the moment the park opened until it got too dark to see the ball.

I think my life probably hit a peak about age 10 which is rather sad really but whatever.

TWTD.

Did you enjoy School? on 12:24 - Sep 17 with 1773 viewsitfcjoe

Did you enjoy School? on 12:03 - Sep 17 by PrideOfTheEast

Liked some of it, didn’t like a lot of it. Went to a good state school but I found the teaching to be generally poor and they were far too lenient with others in the class that would distract etc. I cruised basically and fortunately did pretty well. I enjoyed all the sport and social stuff but unless you came from a really good home like mine you were really chancing it in terms of whether you’d do well or not.

My parents and grandparents focused on us a lot before we went to school which I think held me in pretty good stead and fundamentally gave me the work ethic and early life experiences to do well.

I often wonder how different it would have been to go to one of the top public schools. Those I work with now I’d say 70% took that route. Some stand out, some average so perhaps it’s all just very subjective.

From my limited experiences of it - the top public schools give you a confidence which is often unwarranted but can help get you into better positions because people can't see through it.........plus whilst it is connections in some ways, it also gives you an idea of how to properly plot a career because you are associating with people that have got the more aspirational jobs that you have more learning chances into how/why they got there.

I didn't go to a top public school, but I was a scholarship student, my Dad was a self-employed plumber and Mum worked in Sainsburys - they didn't have the first clue what to do with careers, schooling, uni etc.....but at 15 I was doing work experience off my own back at the Actuarial department at Norwich Union, getting train up there every day etc.....I'd never have had the confidence to do that had I gone to local state school, and would never have even know what an actuary was let alone want to be one at that time (I wasn't as sad as that sounds.....was sick on the train for my last day as had only got in from Kartouche at 3am the night before...!)

I'd be able to give my children much more advice into how to get into careers than I was able to receive, through no fault of my parents - and that is the key really - you get much more chances to fail.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Did you enjoy School? on 12:26 - Sep 17 with 1754 viewsSwansea_Blue

I didn't really think about that at the time, I just gone on with it. I don't remember especially liking it nor disliking it in general. There were a couple of subjects I disliked (Chemistry especially), but that was more down to not liking the teachers. But that was balanced with subjects I did like, I had quite a large friend circle and I got involved with a bit of extra curricular stuff like sports early on (before getting injured and having to have a break from sports for 3-4 yrs) and then working as a stagehand on the schools shows.

Like Joe I was a bit of a coaster, and sailed through with a bit of natural aptitude and fairly minimum effort if I'm honest. Totally fecked up A-Levels, but had a blast doing so. But was then lucky enough to grab a place at Uni through clearing and decided it was time to knuckle down occasionally and from there on managed to find a balance between working hard when I needed to and switching off in between. I'm kind of an all (if I'm interested) or nothing (if I'm not) kind of guy. That got me through Uni fairly well, and allowed me to carry on with further degrees doing wonderful things until my mid-20s.

TWTD.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Did you enjoy School? on 12:28 - Sep 17 with 1743 viewsmylittletown

Didn't like primary school, which was in a useless little East Anglian village school.
Thoroughly enjoyed secondary school and university.

I think that your advice to your son is spot on. It is important to make the most of your years in education if you possibly can. Those years can pretty much shape the rest of your life.
Did you enjoy School? on 12:28 - Sep 17 with 1739 viewsWD19

Mostly I was quite bored.

But at the same time I had no appreciation of the real world or what life was like. In hindsight there were so many elements that were great. The teachers were generally very good at their jobs and pleasant and friendly towards pupils. An hour playing football outside every single day at lunchtime was brilliant......and the camaraderie and comedy something I miss as a sad lonely middle-aged man.
Did you enjoy School? on 12:29 - Sep 17 with 1744 viewstextbackup

Did you enjoy School? on 12:24 - Sep 17 by itfcjoe

From my limited experiences of it - the top public schools give you a confidence which is often unwarranted but can help get you into better positions because people can't see through it.........plus whilst it is connections in some ways, it also gives you an idea of how to properly plot a career because you are associating with people that have got the more aspirational jobs that you have more learning chances into how/why they got there.

I didn't go to a top public school, but I was a scholarship student, my Dad was a self-employed plumber and Mum worked in Sainsburys - they didn't have the first clue what to do with careers, schooling, uni etc.....but at 15 I was doing work experience off my own back at the Actuarial department at Norwich Union, getting train up there every day etc.....I'd never have had the confidence to do that had I gone to local state school, and would never have even know what an actuary was let alone want to be one at that time (I wasn't as sad as that sounds.....was sick on the train for my last day as had only got in from Kartouche at 3am the night before...!)

I'd be able to give my children much more advice into how to get into careers than I was able to receive, through no fault of my parents - and that is the key really - you get much more chances to fail.

i'm sure everyone i know from a normal school done work experience with no issues? surely thats just done to the person, and not the school?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Did you enjoy School? on 12:29 - Sep 17 with 1736 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I did.

Like many my youthfulness and lack of foresight meant I probably didn't get as much from it as I should have done but I was lucky that I was smart enough to get through my GCSEs without having to work too hard to do so. This meant that it was more about the social aspect.

If I enjoyed a subject I was happy to be in class, if I didn't I couldn't wait to get it over with but on the whole I I enjoyed my time I'm school..

Given 85% of the school I went to supported scum I'd say that speaks volumes

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024