Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A Clarification 15:28 - Sep 17 with 2495 viewsMoriarty

I'm going to take an indefinite break from posting and before I do, I thought I'd address one particular issue (to those who have any interest) which has been floating around my busy head.

Before the Euro final, I made a post, the essence of which was to wish England well but also looked at some of the negatives. Having experienced the English riot in Lansdowne Road in 1995 (and some other experiences (including one or two at Portman Road)), I had reason to do so. I sought to balance my post by saying I had both good and bad experiences of England supporters. I set out how I liked GS and the England team.

I also gave an example of behaviour by Irish lads. I gave a specific example where some young clowns (I think in Dublin) had English supporters singing a particular chant. I felt (and still feel) it was apparent from my post that I didn't approve of that, having prefaced the example by stating that not all supporters behave themselves (albeit in the preceding paragraph). For the avoidance of any doubt, I did not approve of that or condone it. I didn't convey well enough my criticism of those Irish lads. It was my intention to say that whereas English fans don't always behave themselves, the same was true of Irish lads.

Insofar as that may have caused offence, I can only apologise to those who took offence. It was certainly never my intention to cause anyone any offence and I accept that I did not express myself very well. However, the labels flung at me that evening and what I experienced (whether then or since) by a few hasn't really left me. Whereas my wording may have been careless and not conveyed what I had intended to convey, there was nothing carless or unintended about what followed. .

I wouldn't like some negative experiences (whether on here or Lansdowne Road, or Portman Road or anywhere else) to define my relationship with Town so I thought I'd bail for a while with that clarification (to those whom it may concern).

Best wishes to you all.

fka omuircheartaigh

A Clarification on 15:31 - Sep 17 with 2425 viewsJ2BLUE

You don't need to go mate.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

A Clarification on 15:34 - Sep 17 with 2412 viewsIllinoisblue

A Clarification on 15:31 - Sep 17 by J2BLUE

You don't need to go mate.

Nor clarify or apologize

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

A Clarification on 15:36 - Sep 17 with 2403 viewsFunge

Not that you need my validation, but it's pretty rare for most people on here to hold a grudge about anything, imo.

Frankly, if I have to tolerate this crap football team, and all of the silly squabbling that comes with it, then so do you.

Stay a little longer, man.
A Clarification on 15:39 - Sep 17 with 2371 viewsHerbivore

Don't go mate, you've always struck me as one of the good guys.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

A Clarification on 15:41 - Sep 17 with 2359 viewsthebooks

Don’t see a need to apologise for stating facts – a section of England fans (and sometimes a large one at that) have made a virtue out of behaving like twāts for decades. Anti-Irish sentiment has been a part of that.

A real shame if any of the Town fans did just that. And that you’re bailing — your posts are good!
A Clarification on 15:42 - Sep 17 with 2355 viewspointofblue

To be fair, I don't think anyone can argue against the assertion that some England fans are t*ssers! See the invasion of Wembley and booing the knee/national anthem of the opposition.

Hope you decide to hang around.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

A Clarification on 15:44 - Sep 17 with 2336 viewsDubtractor

Yep, no need to go, stay and wallow in the misery with the rest of us!

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

A Clarification on 15:45 - Sep 17 with 2322 viewsKeno

I hope you change your mind and stay

You always seem like one of the more sane, sensible and intelligent posters on here, although in fairness the benchmark may not be very high here.

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

A Clarification on 15:47 - Sep 17 with 2315 viewsMoriarty

Thanks to each of you for the posts above.

I will certainly be looking in and the profile will remain.

However, engaging in posts etc is highly unlikely due to time constraints for at least the foreseeable and I wanted to offer that clarification under those circumstances.

Best wishes to all.

fka omuircheartaigh

A Clarification on 15:50 - Sep 17 with 2285 viewsJ2BLUE

A Clarification on 15:47 - Sep 17 by Moriarty

Thanks to each of you for the posts above.

I will certainly be looking in and the profile will remain.

However, engaging in posts etc is highly unlikely due to time constraints for at least the foreseeable and I wanted to offer that clarification under those circumstances.

Best wishes to all.

Take care. Feel free to come back any time.

Truly impaired.

A Clarification on 18:38 - Sep 17 with 2074 viewshomer_123

Far too many decent posters have left.

No need to explain or apologise and absolutely no need to leave.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A Clarification on 19:00 - Sep 17 with 2008 viewssolomon

I don’t think you should leave, but if you feel that’s right for you right now then you are the best judge of how you feel.

Please come back as soon as you feel ready though. Take care.
A Clarification on 19:03 - Sep 17 with 1996 viewsleitrimblue

You'll be missed. Come back soon
A Clarification on 19:04 - Sep 17 with 1991 viewsNthQldITFC

You are one of my favourite posters, I hope you are back soon.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

A Clarification on 19:10 - Sep 17 with 1959 viewsBudapestByBlimp

A Clarification on 19:04 - Sep 17 by NthQldITFC

Same here. His posts are always well thought out and reasoned.

Hope to see you posting again soon Moriarty.
A Clarification on 22:17 - Sep 17 with 1832 viewsCoastalblue

A Clarification on 19:04 - Sep 17 by NthQldITFC

Yep, I'll third that it appears.

Hope you check in from time to time if nothing else, I think the thread you mention probably touched a nerve with some though from what I recall there was zero malice coming across on your own part.

Not to defend anybody, because I agree with all you say with regards to a section of English fans but it can be tough being English occasionally, the feeling we all get tarred with that neanderthal brush. My partner's a Scot, with zero interest in football and I get exasperated that she genuinely believes that the majority of people who go to watch England are thugs, I know that's far from what you were suggesting but it may explain some of the less than complimentary responses.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

A Clarification on 22:41 - Sep 17 with 1795 viewscatch74

Can only echo what others have said, always seemed a decent poster and sorry you’re taking a break. Maybe reconsider when we go on our unstoppable winning run.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

A Clarification on 23:16 - Sep 17 with 1736 viewsbluelagos

I do recall you getting into a ding dong with a couple of posters around the Euros. Maybe people were a tad sensitive to criticism of England at the time...who knows.

No harm having a break, especially if it is causing you stress / winding you up. Little point in being on here if it's not an enjoyable experience. Hopefully in a little while you'll come back refreshed and add more of your input, something I've always liked.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

A Clarification on 00:00 - Sep 18 with 1693 viewsGuthrum

That's a real shame. Always thought you were a decent poster.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

A Clarification on 09:58 - Sep 18 with 1506 viewsgiant_stow

For my part, I'm sorry to have hurt your feelings and am sad to see you go. While I didn't enjoy being mislabelled a racist, I could have been a little less 'agro' or sensitive.Take care.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2021 10:03]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

A Clarification on 12:22 - Sep 18 with 1418 viewsJ2BLUE

A Clarification on 15:34 - Sep 17 by Illinoisblue

Nor clarify or apologize

You need to apologise for using apologize.

Truly impaired.

A Clarification on 12:31 - Sep 18 with 1394 viewsRyorry

Like Ullaa, I also didn't appreciate being labelled a racist because I was unaware of Gordon Elliot's nationality, but do genuinely wish you well & hope you get on OK out there in the real world 👍 - which for the first time in about 25 years of TWTD life, actually seems crazier than this place! Weird times.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

A Clarification on 12:42 - Sep 18 with 1364 viewsDarth_Koont

Best wishes to you too. And hope to see you back sooner rather than later.

Pronouns: He/Him

A Clarification on 12:42 - Sep 18 with 1362 viewsleitrimblue

A Clarification on 09:58 - Sep 18 by giant_stow

For my part, I'm sorry to have hurt your feelings and am sad to see you go. While I didn't enjoy being mislabelled a racist, I could have been a little less 'agro' or sensitive.Take care.
[Post edited 18 Sep 2021 10:03]

Feck me, should have guessed it was yer 6 fingered self and that other hardcore devotee of the BNP Ryorry giving out the abuse....
A Clarification on 12:48 - Sep 18 with 1334 viewshype313

A Clarification on 12:31 - Sep 18 by Ryorry

Like Ullaa, I also didn't appreciate being labelled a racist because I was unaware of Gordon Elliot's nationality, but do genuinely wish you well & hope you get on OK out there in the real world 👍 - which for the first time in about 25 years of TWTD life, actually seems crazier than this place! Weird times.

Likewise, getting called a racist when my wife is mixed race got my blood boiling.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024