Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
No voice and all the points 20:48 - Sep 18 with 3493 viewsMullet

When Cook came out and clapped us in the away end before kick off there was an almost irrational wave of optimism and appreciation. Maybe in both directions. It was a lovely moment that was even more poignant when you watch this after the events of today.

The team looked fairly good again on paper but seemed to go against what had been spoken of in terms of forming existing partnerships. Celina was getting a lot of love in the warm up from people trying to start chants or attract his attention.

When we got going it was clear his quality is going to win over fans, and win us games. Even when his luxuriant range of passing goes to noone people will assume it was the runners fault not his, such is his swagger and ambition.

At times he was on the left but a sort of inside forward with free reign and when he swapped with Fraser to go to a 10, the attacking instincts of Coulson gave us a real lopsided threat.

On the other side Donacien was excellent against Scully. it meant that Lincoln's most threatening play beyond getting past our full backs and firing across Hladky was when Bishop found his one trademark run and Evans opted not to half him. Celina turned it into a counter and it was in keeping with our superiority.

Burgess off the bar was a nice moment of chaos, and again I thought this would be deja vu. But Our goal today was probably my favourite of the season. A really nice move turned eventually into a deep whipped cross right onto Bonne. A real centre forward's finish too with a little nod to Mariner et al.

I didn't really know what MB would bring here when he signed and if it's local boy energy, the environment of being the main man or just a range of factors he really looks at home knocking them in for us and loves doing it too.

The Town that started the second half was typically contrary to the one which probably deserved a bigger lead. Kick off straight out of play, niggly possession and dispossession and a sense things just weren't sticking.

I've no idea how offside Hopper was, but it was a bigger scare than either of the side-netting rustles that drew celebrations from the minority of Lincoln fans. When the flag went up it was a relief to see a decision for once. The ref was not great for either side and plenty of Imps on the walk out bemoaned and nursed this fantasy that they were the better side.

Possibly the biggest markers of change besides actually winning and holding a lead, were the reactions to losing Coulson. It looked like Donacien would shift to the left and Woolf come on as a makeshift right back up against Scully. Burgess lined up as a centre back then slowly drifted out so we had two solid and stifling defender on the flanks.

This allowed us to sit tighter and Woolf to bring the ball out the starting defenders to continue to impress far more than in other games.

Removing Celina when we'd possibly lost the dominance was intriguing. Harper was still the most advanced midfielder but more of an 8. 4-2-3-1 really was a 4-3-3 and allowed Cook some credit for changing and showing flexibility.

Evans was a lot more aggressive today but still seems to lose the ball more than his head. Carroll would have benefited from a moment of space and time today. His range of passing is lovely and his instincts but like Dozzell, this league doesn't seem good enough to let them play their natural game at times.

There was so much time wasting and pantomime, that between the injuries and the 15 minutes of time added on you could feel the fear of conceding take hold of the fans. Burns was great all day at bursting into threatening places and may have been unlucky to see his best chance closed down late on.

When the whistle finally went and the sweaty faux-summer air filled with celebrations it was probably the best it's been in an away end for so long. The players were left to take all the credit initially and after all he's been through no one would have begrudged Cook a moment in front of us too.

Tonight it's worth raising a beer to him and his kin, the past has been awful and the future might be uncertain still but just living in the present means that on a human level alone his suffering can be eased a little with that result and performance.

Far from perfect, but that's almost what makes it such a special day.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

GREAT report Mullet on 20:57 - Sep 18 with 3369 viewsunstableblue

Thanks for sharing

Interesting about Evans, I only heard on radio, but I thought our errors would cost us

As Burns said in his interview we just needed a bit of luck and to win ugly just to finally get 3 points… and it sounds like the second half was just that

Like you I am so pleased Cook got the win, and he can now spend time with his family, the interview was special

Thanks again

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

No voice and all the points on 20:57 - Sep 18 with 3365 viewsOldboy

We greeted him as we should. He deserves our support after the week he has had. I have given him some stick on here, but I think that it was justified, but I have also said give him a little longer to turn it around. Hopefully today we saw the start of that. You have given a very accurate account of the game. Thought we were solid if not spectacular. Thought they all played their part. A more solid midfield protected the back 4, which is critical. Going on the attack will scare most in this league, just need to keep it tight at the back.
No voice and all the points on 21:03 - Sep 18 with 3276 viewsunstableblue

No voice and all the points on 20:57 - Sep 18 by Oldboy

We greeted him as we should. He deserves our support after the week he has had. I have given him some stick on here, but I think that it was justified, but I have also said give him a little longer to turn it around. Hopefully today we saw the start of that. You have given a very accurate account of the game. Thought we were solid if not spectacular. Thought they all played their part. A more solid midfield protected the back 4, which is critical. Going on the attack will scare most in this league, just need to keep it tight at the back.

Love Mullets opening paragraph and love that video

I had started to criticise Cook as well despite being an admirer, because it was justified and it was balanced, and Cook himself states it’s understandable

Some of the stuff this week on here was ill judged… and please let us not have any of the ‘I don’t recognise that’ BS that abounds on this board

No voice and all the points on 21:30 - Sep 18 with 3098 viewsMullet

No voice and all the points on 20:57 - Sep 18 by Oldboy

It was a nice moment wasn't it? Very Ipswich.

Full time was just brilliant.

No voice and all the points on 21:47 - Sep 18 with 2961 viewsIllinoisblue

Excellent recap, sir. Impossible to not be moved by Cook’s fist pump to the sky. All the feels. So glad we got the win, for so many reasons.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

No voice and all the points on 21:48 - Sep 18 with 2950 viewsBasingstokeBlue

A good-looking report but I couldn’t find “Scully Burgess” on either of the teamsheets, so I stopped reading there.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

No voice and all the points on 21:53 - Sep 18 with 2907 viewsSteve_M

Good, good, good.

Hopefully like Magilton’s first win in 2006 or Keane’s in 2010 or even Royle’s back in 2003 this one result is just enough to get us going again. Match that next Saturday and everything to date can go out of the window.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

No voice and all the points on 22:03 - Sep 18 with 2813 viewsjaykay

No voice and all the points on 21:03 - Sep 18 by unstableblue

Love Mullets opening paragraph and love that video

I had started to criticise Cook as well despite being an admirer, because it was justified and it was balanced, and Cook himself states it’s understandable

Some of the stuff this week on here was ill judged… and please let us not have any of the ‘I don’t recognise that’ BS that abounds on this board

i haven't knocked the manager or stuck up for him on this board, but some of the sh1t that people have used against him is unbelievable. every word he says in a interview some try to turn it into a controversy. even today people were bringing up bishops name ,it was a mistake to let him go etc. i know its early but those who were shipped out to higher clubs are not setting their football alight.
many more were knocking him but not knocking him.

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Login to get fewer ads

GREAT report Mullet on 22:06 - Sep 18 with 2788 viewsIllinoisblue

GREAT report Mullet on 20:57 - Sep 18 by unstableblue

Thanks for sharing

Interesting about Evans, I only heard on radio, but I thought our errors would cost us

As Burns said in his interview we just needed a bit of luck and to win ugly just to finally get 3 points… and it sounds like the second half was just that

Like you I am so pleased Cook got the win, and he can now spend time with his family, the interview was special

Thanks again

Evans continues to frustrate. Always looks like a mistake is not far away. It’s weird as he was excellent in that first game v Morecambe

62 - 78 - 81

No voice and all the points on 22:16 - Sep 18 with 2697 viewsMullet

No voice and all the points on 21:47 - Sep 18 by Illinoisblue

Excellent recap, sir. Impossible to not be moved by Cook’s fist pump to the sky. All the feels. So glad we got the win, for so many reasons.

I had car trouble on the way down for nearly an hour. I was tense as can be walking to the ground and 3hrs of driving home over the peaks with no real acceleration was a test. But it all felt minuscule and irrelevant after that 90 mins.

It’s been a long time since football puts us through all these emotions and maybe that relative drought makes it all the more intense?

No voice and all the points on 22:18 - Sep 18 with 2681 viewsMullet

No voice and all the points on 21:53 - Sep 18 by Steve_M

Good, good, good.

Hopefully like Magilton’s first win in 2006 or Keane’s in 2010 or even Royle’s back in 2003 this one result is just enough to get us going again. Match that next Saturday and everything to date can go out of the window.

I think we need a run now if 5 or 6 unbeaten with very little dropped. We’ve gifted too many teams 10 points or so on us. If we can bookend any coming defeats with solid runs we might not have thrown the season away but that’s a worry for Christmas time. Not today.

No voice and all the points on 22:31 - Sep 18 with 2566 viewsIllinoisblue

No voice and all the points on 22:16 - Sep 18 by Mullet

I had car trouble on the way down for nearly an hour. I was tense as can be walking to the ground and 3hrs of driving home over the peaks with no real acceleration was a test. But it all felt minuscule and irrelevant after that 90 mins.

It’s been a long time since football puts us through all these emotions and maybe that relative drought makes it all the more intense?

I think our start has been so suffocating - not just losing/drawing but the way we did it with clownish errors, late giveaways, crumbling to long throws ffs - is what makes this feel so much better. Now the hard work begins and building on it. Owls will be tricky, Donny less so. Although who knows any more… looking at today’s results nothing seems a banker anymore.

62 - 78 - 81

No voice and all the points on 22:41 - Sep 18 with 2498 viewsGuthrum

No voice and all the points on 22:18 - Sep 18 by Mullet

I think we need a run now if 5 or 6 unbeaten with very little dropped. We’ve gifted too many teams 10 points or so on us. If we can bookend any coming defeats with solid runs we might not have thrown the season away but that’s a worry for Christmas time. Not today.

Now is the time to do that, when everyone's points totals are low and a few wins can push us a long way up the table.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

No voice and all the points on 00:29 - Sep 19 with 2199 viewsBlueBadger

No voice and all the points on 22:41 - Sep 18 by Guthrum

Now is the time to do that, when everyone's points totals are low and a few wins can push us a long way up the table.

Worth remembering that League One is a division even more dependent upon teams being able to be consistent than the Championship.
A few good wins now and we're right up there.

Keep getting them and we can start looking at getting a certain vessel out of dry dock.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2021 0:35]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

No voice and all the points on 00:40 - Sep 19 with 2174 viewsunstableblue

No voice and all the points on 22:18 - Sep 18 by Mullet

As you say Mullet let’s celebrate today

But my view is there is probably still a potential wobble against Sheff Weds, I still think we look too loose at times and these errors from Evans could cost

But if we can get Morsy in, keep Burns, Fraser, Edwards and Celina fit… then October could be a really strong points month to close the gap

I do think perhaps that Wigan may run off… this looks strong form. Also think a Rotherham or Wycombe may start flying

But we are not the finished article

No voice and all the points on 07:05 - Sep 19 with 1879 viewshype313

Brilliant post, thanks for that Mullers.

Here's hoping that gives everyone a boost and PR shoupd ne rocking next week, can't wait.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

No voice and all the points on 07:45 - Sep 19 with 1717 viewsKeaneish

Excellent summary to capture the atmosphere for those who weren’t there.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

No voice and all the points on 08:58 - Sep 19 with 1510 viewsMullet

No voice and all the points on 22:31 - Sep 18 by Illinoisblue

I think our start has been so suffocating - not just losing/drawing but the way we did it with clownish errors, late giveaways, crumbling to long throws ffs - is what makes this feel so much better. Now the hard work begins and building on it. Owls will be tricky, Donny less so. Although who knows any more… looking at today’s results nothing seems a banker anymore.

All aspects of it have been hugely damaging. Clearly it wasn’t the players last season and as it went on and more faces came in this time Cook started mentioning names a bit too often in press pieces.

Lincoln have clearly been gutted by losing most of their decent players and it seemed like that tipped in our favour for the first time today.

As elsewhere, we need 5 or 6 wins close together just to stay in the hunt and at least they will have to come against some teams we need to gain on.

No voice and all the points on 08:59 - Sep 19 with 1505 viewsMullet

No voice and all the points on 22:41 - Sep 18 by Guthrum

Indeed mate. When are you next at a game? Be good to see you

No voice and all the points on 09:00 - Sep 19 with 1500 viewsMullet

No voice and all the points on 07:05 - Sep 19 by hype313

Brilliant post, thanks for that Mullers.

Here's hoping that gives everyone a boost and PR shoupd ne rocking next week, can't wait.

Morning mate. I’m going to have to eye up how to get a permission slip for another PR trip soon I think.

No voice and all the points on 10:24 - Sep 19 with 1268 viewsDarkHorse

Great write-up, Mullet.

Loved Bonne's goal too. As you say, Marineresque. Our most complete striker for a while, and you can see what it means to him to be playing for us. Seems really down to earth too, would love to keep him long-term.
No voice and all the points on 13:11 - Sep 19 with 1096 viewsMullet

No voice and all the points on 10:24 - Sep 19 by DarkHorse

Great write-up, Mullet.

Loved Bonne's goal too. As you say, Marineresque. Our most complete striker for a while, and you can see what it means to him to be playing for us. Seems really down to earth too, would love to keep him long-term.

Cheers

I wondered if he’d just be a different option off the bench and mostly a poacher but he’s far more rounded snd settled than I anticipated. It’d be nice if he can fill that Chambers void of being a conduit with fans and the team etc.

No voice and all the points on 16:42 - Sep 20 with 681 viewshype313

No voice and all the points on 09:00 - Sep 19 by Mullet

Morning mate. I’m going to have to eye up how to get a permission slip for another PR trip soon I think.

Meant to reply to this yesterday, yeah appreciate getting to Ippy from Manchester when you have small one's isn't the easiest.

Next time you do, I'll buy you a pint in the Greyhound

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024