Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What were you doing 48 years ago today? 09:23 - Sep 19 with 3173 viewsITFC_nostalgia

I guess the answer for most of us is “not existing” but for some lucky TWTDers the answer would be “watching Real Madrid play at Portman Rd”….

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT9elwqIuM8/?utm_medium=copy_link

ps. That is our 100th post. Thank you to all on here who’ve provided memories, facts, suggestions and positive comments about our posts.
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 09:37 - Sep 19 with 2280 viewsurbanblue

I was there standing in the west stand on the green stool that my old man had made for me.

I remember being excited to see Gunter Netzer play but not much else ...
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 09:42 - Sep 19 with 2255 viewsmylittletown

I was there. As far as I can remember, the result was more exciting than the game.
It did feel very different though, and it was the start of an era.
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 09:44 - Sep 19 with 2241 viewsbluefunk

I was there, although I don’t really remember much beyond the amazement we were playing Real Madrid
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 09:54 - Sep 19 with 2195 viewslongtimefan

I was there with my Dad. First time I was allowed to go to a match on a school night!
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 09:54 - Sep 19 with 2192 viewstrncbluearmy

Debut in the Northstand,
lifechanger

COYB
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 09:56 - Sep 19 with 2179 viewsoldbeardy

I was there too as an 11 year old, also in the West Stand, near where the players come out. Ended up next to a Real fan who was convinced they would win easily. Gunter Netzer was brilliant I seem to recall. The away performance by Town was excellent - 0-0 I think.
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 09:57 - Sep 19 with 2173 viewsOldboy

Sucking on my Mum's titty.
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 10:00 - Sep 19 with 2163 viewsVic

I was at PR that evening - west stand, on a crate. If I remember right I recall Mick Mills letting loose one of his howitzers towards the north stand goal. Its a long time ago, but I was there!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Login to get fewer ads

What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 10:03 - Sep 19 with 2152 viewsWeWereZombies

What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 09:54 - Sep 19 by trncbluearmy

Debut in the Northstand,
lifechanger

COYB

I was in the North that night too, but my main memory is of seeing a rotund Madrileño with a big bass drum on Portman Road and thinking 'How is he allowed to bring that into the ground?'

Why I wasn't thinking 'That will never fit through the turnstiles' may be down to my initial thought today on seeing the thread header, which was 'marijuana'...

[edit] forgot to put 'big bass drum' after Madrileño, although I guess the sentence still worked without it.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2021 10:05]

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 10:35 - Sep 19 with 2061 viewsPendejo

A few years before I started going, but we did live in Ipswich and I'm pretty sure my father went, and I have that programme... Mills without a tache!

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 10:41 - Sep 19 with 2042 viewsITFC_nostalgia

What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 09:56 - Sep 19 by oldbeardy

I was there too as an 11 year old, also in the West Stand, near where the players come out. Ended up next to a Real fan who was convinced they would win easily. Gunter Netzer was brilliant I seem to recall. The away performance by Town was excellent - 0-0 I think.

It was. Our post on the second leg is now up.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CT_p4U7oQsm/?utm_medium=copy_link
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 11:01 - Sep 19 with 2013 viewsbracknell_blue

I remember it well. Amazed at seeing the great Real Madrid play but we deserved the win even if the goal was fortunate. Stood in Churchmans and savoured the whole atmosphere. A few weeks later it was same again to watch us demolish Lazio.

Poll: Should Thatcher have a state funeral

What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 11:11 - Sep 19 with 1995 viewsBlueBadger

Facters was celebrating his 93rd birthday.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 11:22 - Sep 19 with 1968 viewsFtnfwest

Close to where I date my support starting from although as a littlun was probably in bed! More than likely as don’t have a memory of the game but remember Lazio.
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 11:46 - Sep 19 with 1914 viewsFixed_It

I was there. Standing at the front in Churchmans.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 12:14 - Sep 19 with 1869 viewsbackwaywhen

I was there , queued up straight from work at 5.30 , just a 17 year old then , what a night , away game was an even better achievement in my view 0-0 away to them was virtually unheard off ….. happy days COYBs
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 14:35 - Sep 19 with 1723 viewsoldburian

What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 11:11 - Sep 19 by BlueBadger

Facters was celebrating his 93rd birthday.

So he is younger than me then!

Great match but as has been said the away leg was a better achievement, the Real crowd waved their white handkerchiefs all second half. We were drawn away for the first leg but changed because the thought was we would get slaughtered in the away leg and have a reduced attendance at home. And then Locomotive Leipzig, the worst side we met.
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 14:40 - Sep 19 with 1710 viewshammo56

Was there can’t believe it was 48 years ago.
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 14:43 - Sep 19 with 1708 viewsnorfsufblue

What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 11:22 - Sep 19 by Ftnfwest

Close to where I date my support starting from although as a littlun was probably in bed! More than likely as don’t have a memory of the game but remember Lazio.

Me too , in fact I know my first game was the following Saturday v Burnley which we won 3-2 and I fell in love with The Town.. so on Wednesday that will be my 48th anniversary then
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 14:50 - Sep 19 with 1689 viewsDJR

I was 13 at the time and was stood in the North Stand for the game. I think I can remember the build-up but I don't remember the game itself.
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 15:34 - Sep 19 with 1630 viewsblueislander

I was there in Churchmans with my fiancée (now wife) She was a student nurse, and had worked a night shift the night before, met me in London and we travelled to Ipswich that afternoon. About 10 minutes into the match she fainted, and St.John’s Ambulance took her with me to their pitch side place from where we watched the rest of the match.
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 15:37 - Sep 19 with 1626 viewsMeadowlark

North Stand.
I know I was there, but cannot recall any details....
I was seventeen, so I might have borrowed my dad's car to drive down from Lowestoft.
What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 17:05 - Sep 19 with 1546 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Yep, I was there too with my Dad and big brother in the new Portman stand as it was called then. Front row of the upper tier, all I remember was we played brilliantly. I can't remember many details as a 12 year old, but think this game really put us on the map as a seriously good team.

Poll: would you rather

What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 17:17 - Sep 19 with 1524 viewsJ2BLUE

Facters was at his grandchild's eleventy-first birthday party.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

What were you doing 48 years ago today? on 18:15 - Sep 19 with 1465 viewstonybied

Swimming around in my Dads nutsack trying to avoid being spaffed into a sock.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024