Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? 13:04 - Sep 20 with 12423 viewshype313

Waiting to find out the answer, but I'm going for Telford.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:57 - Sep 22 with 899 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:40 - Sep 22 by WeWereZombies

Although things get complicated when you consider that Selhurst Park is, as far as I can tell, only within the borough and not in town. Furthermore, semi-professional Croydon F.C. play at the Croydon Sports Arena - which is in South Norwood...

If we are going for town's which are London Boroughs, then Enfield may be in with a shout.

But it's all just London really, innit?
Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:59 - Sep 22 with 899 viewsMattinLondon

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:50 - Sep 22 by WeWereZombies

Digging a bit deeper I think we can kick both Warrington and Slough into the long grass because each have a semi-professional association football club.

So are now looking for a town that does not have even a semi-professional team located within its boundaries?

Edit. Bath could well be a contender. I don’t think they have a semi-professional team since Bath FC folded.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2021 11:02]
Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:06 - Sep 22 with 887 viewsWeWereZombies

News just in, Telford planned to go from being semi to full professional in 2018.

[edit] And they play their home games in Wellington...yes, semi-pro but they can't even afford football boots...
[Post edited 22 Sep 2021 11:08]

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:14 - Sep 22 with 878 viewsWeWereZombies

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 13:12 - Sep 20 by Ely_Blue

I’d go for Poole

According to the website of Poole Town F.C. they have turned professional at least twice...

https://www.pooletownfc.co.uk/sipg/51

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:20 - Sep 22 with 869 viewsWeWereZombies

OK, I have gotten to number 51 in The Geographist's list, Birkenhead, and things have taken a partisan turn:

https://ryanferguson.co.uk/blogs/planet-prentonia/tranmere-rovers-and-birkenhead

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:42 - Sep 22 with 853 viewsWeWereZombies

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:59 - Sep 22 by MattinLondon

So are now looking for a town that does not have even a semi-professional team located within its boundaries?

Edit. Bath could well be a contender. I don’t think they have a semi-professional team since Bath FC folded.

But Bath is a city...

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:55 - Sep 22 with 842 viewsMattinLondon

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:42 - Sep 22 by WeWereZombies

But Bath is a city...

Doh. Completely forgot about that point..which is quite central to this thread.
Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 13:31 - Sep 22 with 806 viewsDanny_G

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:59 - Sep 22 by MattinLondon

Bath City (the main team in Bath) are semi-professional and still going, in the Conference South. Are you thinking of Team Bath - the university team who had to quit the league about a decade ago?
Login to get fewer ads

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 16:34 - Sep 22 with 763 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:42 - Sep 22 by WeWereZombies

But Bath is a city...

And is only half the size of Telford.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 19:53 - Sep 22 with 729 viewsKeaneish

Stockport? Scratch that, just realised they’re alive and kicking.

Bury?
[Post edited 22 Sep 2021 19:57]

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 21:11 - Sep 22 with 703 viewsZXBlue

But Bath is a city...

And Bath City are semi pro
Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 22:35 - Sep 22 with 666 viewsBonchosBicycle

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:40 - Sep 22 by WeWereZombies

Although things get complicated when you consider that Selhurst Park is, as far as I can tell, only within the borough and not in town. Furthermore, semi-professional Croydon F.C. play at the Croydon Sports Arena - which is in South Norwood...

They get more complicated when you realise that Crystal Palace itself - the area the club is named after - is actually in the Borough of Bromley, not Croydon. Although Selhurst Park is in the Borough of Croydon and is roughly half way between Palace and Croydon.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024