Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? 13:04 - Sep 20 with 12554 viewshype313

Waiting to find out the answer, but I'm going for Telford.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 15:19 - Sep 20 with 1776 viewsDarth_Koont

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 13:28 - Sep 20 by BlueBoots

I'm going for Warrington...

(Edited, as originally went for a Non-League club that is actually professional...)
[Post edited 20 Sep 2021 13:31]

Warrington and Wakefield have professional rugby football league clubs. If it’s a trick question.

Pronouns: He/Him

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 15:36 - Sep 20 with 1739 viewsdominiciawful

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 13:18 - Sep 20 by IpswichKnight

Probably one of the Surrey towns as no professional club in Surrey at all.

Woking F.C. would like a word.

"Woking Football Club is a professional association football club, based in Woking, Surrey, England."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woking_F.C.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 16:20 - Sep 20 with 1688 viewsIPS_wich

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 13:31 - Sep 20 by WeWereZombies

I think you are the winner if this list, in descending order I hope, of the thousand largest cities and towns is correct:

https://www.thegeographist.com/uk-cities-population-1000/

Can't see anything about Slough Town F.C. being even semi-pro on the Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slough_Town_F.C.

As a complete aside this just goes to show how crazy population density in Australia is.

There are five cities in Australia bigger than Birmingham (Melbourne 4.97m; Sydney 4.96m; Brisbane 2.47m; Perth 2.08m; Adelaide 1.35m); but only 15 cities/towns bigger than Ipswich at 150k.

Even more ridiculous is Western Australia - a state that if it were a country in its own right would be the 10th largest country in the world - the second largest city (after Perth) is Bunbury with a population of 75k - about the size of Burton which is 120th largest in the UK.
Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 16:27 - Sep 20 with 1673 viewsKropotkin123

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 13:22 - Sep 20 by Guthrum

Or Warrington.

I looked up by biggest towns and with 172k population, this seemed to be the biggest. Assuming we mean outside of the EFL, as they have a team in the Northern Premier League Premier Division.

Edit: Should have read further down, as others already made same point
[Post edited 20 Sep 2021 16:29]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

[Redacted] on 16:48 - Sep 20 with 1639 viewsvictorywilhappen

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 13:31 - Sep 20 by WeWereZombies

I think you are the winner if this list, in descending order I hope, of the thousand largest cities and towns is correct:

https://www.thegeographist.com/uk-cities-population-1000/

Can't see anything about Slough Town F.C. being even semi-pro on the Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slough_Town_F.C.

[Redacted]
Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 17:17 - Sep 20 with 1608 viewsTJS

Didn't Hull used to be the biggest city in Europe with a professional team that had never played in its countries top division ?
Not sure who that would be now - possibly somewhere in Germany maybe ?
Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 08:29 - Sep 21 with 1481 viewsWacko

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 17:17 - Sep 20 by TJS

Didn't Hull used to be the biggest city in Europe with a professional team that had never played in its countries top division ?
Not sure who that would be now - possibly somewhere in Germany maybe ?

Going by that list then Plymouth is the place to beat from the UK

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:05 - Sep 21 with 1439 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 14:20 - Sep 20 by MattinLondon

Berwick or Gateshead? Think both are semi-professional so do they count? Somewhere in Cornwall if they don’t count - Truo??

Edit. Think Berwick and Truo are cities.

Edit. Is it going to be a place off the mainland like a town in the Channel Islands? Think they are part of the UK. Think I’m overthinking this now.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2021 14:27]

Berwick is really small. About the same population as Woodbridge.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Login to get fewer ads

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:11 - Sep 21 with 1421 viewsGrumpy_Old_Man

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:05 - Sep 21 by Tangledupin_Blue

DUDLEY
Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:12 - Sep 21 with 1421 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 16:27 - Sep 20 by Kropotkin123

I looked up by biggest towns and with 172k population, this seemed to be the biggest. Assuming we mean outside of the EFL, as they have a team in the Northern Premier League Premier Division.

Edit: Should have read further down, as others already made same point
[Post edited 20 Sep 2021 16:29]

Harrow has a greater population than Warrington.

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:14 - Sep 21 with 1418 viewsTooManyCooks

Until last Saturday, it was Ipswich

hedgehog flavoured cucumbers

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:48 - Sep 21 with 1385 viewswellsy700

Bath?

NZ Blue
Poll: Who stays? Who goes?

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:04 - Sep 21 with 1377 viewsWonTheCupin78

East Kilbride? They only have a semi professional team.
Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:23 - Sep 21 with 1363 viewsFPL_Tractor

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 13:05 - Sep 20 by Metal_Hacker

Wakefield

Duplicate. Sorry.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2021 11:26]

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:25 - Sep 21 with 1361 viewsJosebadleg

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:23 - Sep 21 by FPL_Tractor

Duplicate. Sorry.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2021 11:26]

Wouldn't both Westminster and Canterbury be classed as cities?

They say I have a short attenti.........
Poll: What are you looking for in the new manager

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:52 - Sep 21 with 1346 viewsNW10_Tractor

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 13:18 - Sep 20 by IpswichKnight

Probably one of the Surrey towns as no professional club in Surrey at all.

You beat me to it. I was going to say Croydon

Harlesden's Arrogantly Talented with the Skill Abilities And not a bad goalkeeper either....
Poll: How would you like Town to win the league

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:53 - Sep 21 with 1341 viewsMattinLondon

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:05 - Sep 21 by Tangledupin_Blue

Always thought that Berwick would be fairly large. No idea it was small.
Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 12:55 - Sep 21 with 1283 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:52 - Sep 21 by NW10_Tractor

Selhurst Park is in Croydon.

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 20:09 - Sep 21 with 1181 viewsCoastalblue

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 11:52 - Sep 21 by NW10_Tractor

Croydon's a London Borough, not sure how that counts as being a Town as well.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 20:58 - Sep 21 with 1157 viewsJ2BLUE

Milton Keynes?

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 22:23 - Sep 21 with 1110 viewssolemio

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 20:58 - Sep 21 by J2BLUE

Milton Keynes?

Until You-Know-What happened MK was the largest town in Europe by population that did not have a professional football team.
Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:31 - Sep 22 with 1025 viewsMattinLondon

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 20:09 - Sep 21 by Coastalblue

Croydon's a London Borough, not sure how that counts as being a Town as well.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydon

Croydon is a town which gives its name to the borough.
Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:40 - Sep 22 with 1008 viewsWeWereZombies

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:31 - Sep 22 by MattinLondon

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydon

Croydon is a town which gives its name to the borough.

Although things get complicated when you consider that Selhurst Park is, as far as I can tell, only within the borough and not in town. Furthermore, semi-professional Croydon F.C. play at the Croydon Sports Arena - which is in South Norwood...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:50 - Sep 22 with 996 viewsbournemouthblue

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:40 - Sep 22 by WeWereZombies

Although things get complicated when you consider that Selhurst Park is, as far as I can tell, only within the borough and not in town. Furthermore, semi-professional Croydon F.C. play at the Croydon Sports Arena - which is in South Norwood...

Crystal Palace are Croydon's team though, let's be honest

Likewise I assume in Dudley they support one of the Birmingham based clubs?

Warrington and Wakefield are like to be Liverpool and Leeds I would assume?

Surrey is definitely a strange case, Palace should theoretically be their team but they tend to support clubs like Chelsea and it was often joked the local team was Man U

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 10:50 - Sep 22 with 995 viewsWeWereZombies

Which is the biggest town in the UK without a professional football team? on 15:15 - Sep 20 by BloomBlue

But in that list Slough is at 41 and Warrington 39 and Warrington is a Town.

Digging a bit deeper I think we can kick both Warrington and Slough into the long grass because each have a semi-professional association football club.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024