Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Question for our older fans. 16:39 - Sep 20 with 1605 viewsOwainG1992

Jimmy Greaves.
For a 29 year old who doesn't know anything of him other than what I have read, How good was he?
Also who could you compare him to for younger fans?
Cheers.

Poll: Apologies I'm bored. How many signings will we have by Plymouth at home.

Question for our older fans. on 16:59 - Sep 20 with 1530 viewsbaxterbasics

I can't help here, I'm 41 and I only remember him as a commentator.

zip
Poll: Your minimum standard of 'success' for our return to The Championship?

Question for our older fans. on 17:00 - Sep 20 with 1535 viewsWallingford_Boy

Just a goalscorer who came alive inside the box, probably the best the finisher this country has ever seen (other than maybe Brian Clough).

Not sure there is anyone like him around these days.

RIP Sir Bobby

Question for our older fans. on 17:08 - Sep 20 with 1505 viewsbluelagos

ESPN / BT Sport have a rather good documentary / film all about Greavsie. Well worth a watch if you want to learn more / have BT sport or ESPN.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Question for our older fans. on 17:09 - Sep 20 with 1500 viewsgtsb1966

I'm 55 years old and I'm too young to remember. Not often I can say that
Question for our older fans. on 17:25 - Sep 20 with 1463 viewsBlueandTruesince82

When he didn't play in the 66 world Cup fina it would have been a Taylor subbing off Lineker moment... He was injured in the group stages and Hurst kept him out there after but I think Sir Alf would have copped it had we lost (this was all a good 15 years before I was even born mind) that's about the most recent comparison I can come up with

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Question for our older fans. on 17:45 - Sep 20 with 1402 viewsreadtheleaguetable

Amazing player. One opposing players and fans hated playing against their team. Lethal finisher. Different styles, but I’d say most comparable in his influence on a game would be Gary Lineker. Terrific ratio of goals to touches.

Qu'est-ce que vous chantez? Nous chantons "Les Bleus, allez!"

Question for our older fans. on 18:11 - Sep 20 with 1356 viewsRadlett_blue

Question for our older fans. on 17:45 - Sep 20 by readtheleaguetable

Amazing player. One opposing players and fans hated playing against their team. Lethal finisher. Different styles, but I’d say most comparable in his influence on a game would be Gary Lineker. Terrific ratio of goals to touches.

Indeed, Lineker would be the best modern comparison, but Greaves was more of a dribbler as well so maybe Michael Owen.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Question for our older fans. on 18:25 - Sep 20 with 1320 viewshoppy

Question for our older fans. on 18:11 - Sep 20 by Radlett_blue

Indeed, Lineker would be the best modern comparison, but Greaves was more of a dribbler as well so maybe Michael Owen.

Unfortunately, even these two, as 'modern' examples are now quite old as well. Lineker retired in 1994, and Owen in 2013... which I guess goes to show what a rare talent Greavesie really was.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Login to get fewer ads

Question for our older fans. on 18:33 - Sep 20 with 1304 viewsfarkenhell

I'm also not old enough to remember, but my old man used to say that Greaves would always pass the ball into the net. Never missed.
Question for our older fans. on 18:33 - Sep 20 with 1295 viewsDennyx4

Question for our older fans. on 18:25 - Sep 20 by hoppy

Unfortunately, even these two, as 'modern' examples are now quite old as well. Lineker retired in 1994, and Owen in 2013... which I guess goes to show what a rare talent Greavesie really was.

Maybe Aguero for a little bit more up to date.
Question for our older fans. on 18:48 - Sep 20 with 1262 viewsRadlett_blue

Question for our older fans. on 18:33 - Sep 20 by farkenhell

I'm also not old enough to remember, but my old man used to say that Greaves would always pass the ball into the net. Never missed.

Indeed. He played a season for Chelmsford City in 1976-77 & whenever a chance appeared, Greaves would usually hit the ball low but firmly just inside the post,

Question for our older fans. on 19:09 - Sep 20 with 1221 viewsDurovigutum

I'm too young as well, but on the radio heard this.

There are only two players with a better games to goals ratio in the top five European leagues - Messi and Ronaldo. These two (and their contemporaries) play on billiard table pitches where Greaves played on sand and mud, and if Ronaldo falls over he gets a penalty, where in Greaves day the defender could kick you six foot into the air, then do it again two minutes later with impunity.
Question for our older fans. on 19:14 - Sep 20 with 1206 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Did you ever see David Nugent play against Ipswich?

Well, like that, but against other teams as well.

(I'm too young too, really)
Question for our older fans. on 19:26 - Sep 20 with 1175 viewsBlueForYou

I remember the WC in 66 but not Greaves as he only played one or two games. He was not a traditional powerhouse centre forward. Saw him play but only on TV. The two era's are incomparable. Seem to remember him being quite a small guy but very skilful, twisting & turning defenders & finding his space to shoot, which usually found the target. You could see him doing well in Italy. Perhaps Messi is the closest modern day player. Someone in their mid 70's would know,
Question for our older fans. on 19:34 - Sep 20 with 1161 viewsBluespeed225

Question for our older fans. on 19:26 - Sep 20 by BlueForYou

I remember the WC in 66 but not Greaves as he only played one or two games. He was not a traditional powerhouse centre forward. Saw him play but only on TV. The two era's are incomparable. Seem to remember him being quite a small guy but very skilful, twisting & turning defenders & finding his space to shoot, which usually found the target. You could see him doing well in Italy. Perhaps Messi is the closest modern day player. Someone in their mid 70's would know,

He went to Italy, didn’t work out, but 9 in 14 shows the promise there you spoke of.
Question for our older fans. on 20:55 - Sep 20 with 1042 viewsvilanovablue

Question for our older fans. on 17:25 - Sep 20 by BlueandTruesince82

When he didn't play in the 66 world Cup fina it would have been a Taylor subbing off Lineker moment... He was injured in the group stages and Hurst kept him out there after but I think Sir Alf would have copped it had we lost (this was all a good 15 years before I was even born mind) that's about the most recent comparison I can come up with

It is worth saying in the final group game he ended up with 15 stitches in his leg...
Question for our older fans. on 21:03 - Sep 20 with 1029 viewsCoastalblue

At 54 I'm too young to remember him as a player but remember people speaking about him and Clough as incredible finishers, think he also had a bit of pace about him?

Decent montage of spurs goals here.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Question for our older fans. on 22:30 - Sep 20 with 926 viewsRadlett_blue

Question for our older fans. on 20:55 - Sep 20 by vilanovablue

It is worth saying in the final group game he ended up with 15 stitches in his leg...

Greaves contracted hepatitis, which kept him out for 3 months of the 1965-66 season & arguably he still wasn't at his best at the 1966 finals. Ramsey never totally trusted him, preferring more workmanlike players like Geoff Hurst, but it was a massive blow to Greaves to miss the k/o stages and the final.

Question for our older fans. on 23:31 - Sep 20 with 880 viewsEwan_Oozami

If he played today, he'd be comparable with Messi and Ronaldo easily...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Question for our older fans. on 23:42 - Sep 20 with 869 viewsEpiphone

Too young (at 57) to remember him as a player but I did have the pleasure of meeting him about 15 years ago.It was in the beer tent of Chelmsford or Colchester Festival cricket ground.Mid morning and Jimmy was clearly enjoying a pint,absolute star though and chatted to me and my mates for a while.
Question for our older fans. on 10:08 - Sep 21 with 697 viewsRadlett_blue

Question for our older fans. on 23:42 - Sep 20 by Epiphone

Too young (at 57) to remember him as a player but I did have the pleasure of meeting him about 15 years ago.It was in the beer tent of Chelmsford or Colchester Festival cricket ground.Mid morning and Jimmy was clearly enjoying a pint,absolute star though and chatted to me and my mates for a while.

Really? I thought Greaves had abstained from alcohol completely since the late 1970s.

Question for our older fans. on 11:38 - Sep 21 with 634 viewsshaunmahony

Saw him play for Spurs at Portman Road once - we beat them 2-0 I think Xmas 67 or 68. Considering Chopper Harris , Norman bite your legs Hunter and Iron man Tommy Smith couldn't keep him down shows just how good he was. Wit current day protection from such ruthless tackling and flat pitches he would ave scored many more. Saw his return to White Hart Lane with West Ham early 70's and of course he scored. Alf said thought he was lazy which in a way he was as he wasn't one for tracking back - he admitted the others were there to do the work and he would finish. and there was no one better at that. He was ultra cool in front of goal. Put Owen, Kane and Lineker together and you might get close. Venables tells a good story about when they were young players together at Chelsea they used to drive themselves to the match from East London and stop for lunch on the A12 at a carvery - different world but somehow more personal and fun back then than the football money business of today.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024