Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Crane flies, Daddy long legs. 08:51 - Sep 21 with 2269 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

There appears to be a plague of these this autumn. Every nook and cranny in the cottage seems to have one awkwardly flapping about, now out walking the hound and getting swarmed at from all directions.

Disclaimer. This is not an attempt to undermine banisters excellent insect of the day from a while ago.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 09:01 - Sep 21 with 1761 viewsLesta_Tractor

My five year old nephew had a rather teary meltdown over the "flying spiders" in his bedroom last week.

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 09:04 - Sep 21 with 1737 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Roger?

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 09:14 - Sep 21 with 1716 viewschicoazul

“We need a name for this new breed of spider type thing we discovered”
“How about ‘long legs’?”
“Nah not pervy enough”

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 09:44 - Sep 21 with 1653 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

How come I can catch and release a DLL out of the window without a second thought, but if a spider runs across the floor then I scream like a girl? How does that work?
Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 09:52 - Sep 21 with 1611 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 09:44 - Sep 21 by BlueBlueBluex2

How come I can catch and release a DLL out of the window without a second thought, but if a spider runs across the floor then I scream like a girl? How does that work?

Imagine

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 09:59 - Sep 21 with 1588 viewsIPS_wich

Don't move to Australia then - it will probably come as no surprise, but Daddy Long Legs in Australia are spiders and don't fly. In fact they are the most common house spider down under - and most people love them because they are harmless to humans but feast on mosquitos and other much more venomous spiders.

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:06 - Sep 21 with 1548 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 09:52 - Sep 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Imagine

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:07 - Sep 21 with 1547 viewsbluelagos

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 09:59 - Sep 21 by IPS_wich

Don't move to Australia then - it will probably come as no surprise, but Daddy Long Legs in Australia are spiders and don't fly. In fact they are the most common house spider down under - and most people love them because they are harmless to humans but feast on mosquitos and other much more venomous spiders.

Back in Lagos I'd quite often stumble across small, clear gecko type things, about 2 inches long. Was told it was bad luck to catch/kill them and apparently they ate mosquitos which was quite handy given the prevalence of malaria.

Will try and find a photo on google.

Edit: Like these things
https://djanthonyb.medium.com/common-house-gecko-pet-or-pest-27663e49472f
[Post edited 21 Sep 2021 10:10]

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:10 - Sep 21 with 1540 viewsEdwardStone

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:07 - Sep 21 by bluelagos

Back in Lagos I'd quite often stumble across small, clear gecko type things, about 2 inches long. Was told it was bad luck to catch/kill them and apparently they ate mosquitos which was quite handy given the prevalence of malaria.

Will try and find a photo on google.

Edit: Like these things
https://djanthonyb.medium.com/common-house-gecko-pet-or-pest-27663e49472f
[Post edited 21 Sep 2021 10:10]

Kind of pink colour, almost see-through?

That would be a chit-chat

Usually hang out by the light fittings in the room and munch up all the mozzies that gathered there

Wonderful critters
Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:15 - Sep 21 with 1527 viewsGunnsAirkick

We have loads of those in our house (UK) but I'm not fussed by them and pick them up. They might be a different (but similar) species in Aus though and probably bigger? House spiders though have to get the glass treatment, they freak me out due to their speed. Those Huntsman spiders they have in Aus would scare the s**t out of me!
[Post edited 21 Sep 2021 10:16]
Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:16 - Sep 21 with 1528 viewsMookamoo

There are loads around my way.

Normally suggests whatever should be eating them hasn't done very well this year.
Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:19 - Sep 21 with 1509 viewsbluelagos

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:10 - Sep 21 by EdwardStone

Kind of pink colour, almost see-through?

That would be a chit-chat

Usually hang out by the light fittings in the room and munch up all the mozzies that gathered there

Wonderful critters

I used to have a colourful (orange) one hang out on the wall and ceiling outside my front door. Turns out they are territorial so was almost certainly the same one.

He got quite used to me (and vice versa) and would hang around (literally) whenever I passed.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:32 - Sep 21 with 1456 viewsChiefXL

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:19 - Sep 21 by bluelagos

I used to have a colourful (orange) one hang out on the wall and ceiling outside my front door. Turns out they are territorial so was almost certainly the same one.

He got quite used to me (and vice versa) and would hang around (literally) whenever I passed.

They're also very common in Mauritius.
They're cute as hell and handy for munching mosquitos but sometimes they can poop on you from above
Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:33 - Sep 21 with 1454 viewsEdwardStone

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:19 - Sep 21 by bluelagos

Excellent

Sounds like the very unconvincing CGI gecko that lives in the Inspector's beach cabin in Death in Paradise
Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:48 - Sep 21 with 1421 viewsDebsyAngel

Was terrorised by one in my room last night - think you can see it and then it goes off somewhere, then makes a return at the most inopportune moment. Managed to splat the thing in the end. I despise them.
Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:56 - Sep 21 with 1400 viewsGuthrum

Not a scienticfic study, but I've asked a lot of arachnophobes what it is about spiders they so dislike. They tend to give one of two answers: "the legs" or "the way they move".

Suspect you fall into the latter category. DLLs blunder, while spiders scuttle suddenly.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 11:00 - Sep 21 with 1385 viewshomer_123

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 10:56 - Sep 21 by Guthrum

Not a scienticfic study, but I've asked a lot of arachnophobes what it is about spiders they so dislike. They tend to give one of two answers: "the legs" or "the way they move".

Suspect you fall into the latter category. DLLs blunder, while spiders scuttle suddenly.

and inevitably towards you.....

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 11:02 - Sep 21 with 1384 viewsGuthrum

They are now common in most of the UK, too (as an invasive species).

They are harmless but quite savage. Tend to attack the roller when I'm painting a ceiling, rather than running away. Which is unfortunate, as the roller wins every time and I end up with body parts and legs spread over a wide area of my freshly-painted surface (which then requires stopping and fetching a ladder to scrape them off).

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 11:05 - Sep 21 with 1339 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 09:04 - Sep 21 by BanksterDebtSlave

Roger?

Bloody predictive text

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 11:13 - Sep 21 with 1297 viewsSWGF

When I was in the 6th form, something got stuck between my sunglasses and my eyebrow and *drilled* a sting or similar into me. I was convinced it was a DLL but they don't sting, apparently. Don't know what it was. Wasn't a wasp/hornet, etc but it BLOODY hurt.

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 11:22 - Sep 21 with 1277 viewslowhouseblue

it's the larvae that are the problem - unless you prefer mud to lawn.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 11:44 - Sep 21 with 1238 viewsKingsCrossBlue

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 11:13 - Sep 21 by SWGF

When I was in the 6th form, something got stuck between my sunglasses and my eyebrow and *drilled* a sting or similar into me. I was convinced it was a DLL but they don't sting, apparently. Don't know what it was. Wasn't a wasp/hornet, etc but it BLOODY hurt.

This may be utter nonsense, but I swear I read somewhere that daddy long legs' possess one of the strongest venom's known. But that they are harmless as they have no way of administering it via a fang or a sting.

Sounds like you got pretty close to disproving it with a pair of Ray Bans.
Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 11:56 - Sep 21 with 1202 viewsGuthrum

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 11:44 - Sep 21 by KingsCrossBlue

This may be utter nonsense, but I swear I read somewhere that daddy long legs' possess one of the strongest venom's known. But that they are harmless as they have no way of administering it via a fang or a sting.

Sounds like you got pretty close to disproving it with a pair of Ray Bans.

That's not DLLs as in Crane Flies, but Pholcidae/Cellar Spiders (see IPS_wich's post).

It's also an urban myth and, in any case, their jaws are not strong enough to pierce human skin.

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 11:57 - Sep 21 with 1197 viewsEdwardStone

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 11:22 - Sep 21 by lowhouseblue

it's the larvae that are the problem - unless you prefer mud to lawn.

Leatherjackets

The bane of arable farmers

They can decimate crops by chewing the roots of the wheat and killing the plant

As you say, they can wreak havoc with your lawn

Rooks possess some sort of magical ground-source radar and can detect these larvae and with one strike get them with their super strong beak

Pretty impressive sight to see a couple of dozen rooks marching up and down the lawn and extracting the leatherjackets
Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 12:12 - Sep 21 with 1155 viewslowhouseblue

Crane flies, Daddy long legs. on 11:57 - Sep 21 by EdwardStone

Leatherjackets

The bane of arable farmers

They can decimate crops by chewing the roots of the wheat and killing the plant

As you say, they can wreak havoc with your lawn

Rooks possess some sort of magical ground-source radar and can detect these larvae and with one strike get them with their super strong beak

Pretty impressive sight to see a couple of dozen rooks marching up and down the lawn and extracting the leatherjackets

once the leatherjackets have eaten the grass roots it makes it very easy for the rooks to roll up the turf and strip large areas bare. we've had big areas reduced to bare earth through their team work.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024