Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Man on! 12:57 - Sep 21 with 1645 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Just watched the highlights of our amazing ladies team.
I had a chuckle that evidently in the female game they still shout ‘Man on!’
Was wondering what suitable gender non specific term it will eventually be replaced with?
Man on! on 12:59 - Sep 21 with 1605 viewsSamWhiteUK

As a species, we are called "man", which comes from the Latin word "man" meaning "hand". I propose that we just leave it as-is.
Man on! on 13:04 - Sep 21 with 1567 viewsFtnfwest

'they on'?
Man on! on 13:07 - Sep 21 with 1548 viewsTangledupin_Blue

I saw the highlights.

Men against boys...

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Man on! on 13:10 - Sep 21 with 1536 viewsEwan_Oozami

Don'y normally want to publicise betting companies but this is quite good...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Man on! on 13:34 - Sep 21 with 1453 viewsFixed_It

Woman on has a whole different meaning!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Man on! on 14:35 - Sep 21 with 1319 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Man on! on 13:10 - Sep 21 by Ewan_Oozami

Don'y normally want to publicise betting companies but this is quite good...

Excellent!
Man on! on 14:39 - Sep 21 with 1309 viewsBlueandTruesince82

No judgemental generic term for person that alludes to neither gender or orientation on.

Covers it I think

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Man on! on 14:48 - Sep 21 with 1278 viewssotd78

Even in girls football the shout is still "man on"....it's a term that will take a lot of gender politics a long, long time to change.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Login to get fewer ads

Man on! on 14:49 - Sep 21 with 1273 viewsEwan_Oozami

Man on! on 14:39 - Sep 21 by BlueandTruesince82

No judgemental generic term for person that alludes to neither gender or orientation on.

Covers it I think

No judgemental generic term for person that alludes to neither gender or orientation nor assumes anything about said person's physical and mental capabilities on?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Man on! on 14:58 - Sep 21 with 1232 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Man on! on 14:49 - Sep 21 by Ewan_Oozami

No judgemental generic term for person that alludes to neither gender or orientation nor assumes anything about said person's physical and mental capabilities on?

I imagine they’ll be a time when you won’t be able to shout ’Man on!’ even in the men’s game as it will be judged to be a ‘Microaggression’.
Man on! on 16:41 - Sep 21 with 1079 viewsHipsterectomy

like mankind i guess

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Man on! on 16:56 - Sep 21 with 1058 viewsjayessess

My weekly kickabout is mixed gender and it's still "man on" regardless of gender. Honestly a lot of the "PC gone mad" chat around stuff like this is people with over-active imaginations inventing "a woke person" to get angry at. In real life people use whatever phrase comes to mind first to communicate instructions and there's negligible social justice activism around what footballers shout at each other (because who cares).

FWIW, in lots of languages the same instruction is given without reference to gender. In Spanish you shout "cuidado" which means "watch out" or "careful". In context it works because what else am I supposed to be careful of when I'm in possession of a football during a match?
[Post edited 21 Sep 2021 17:18]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Man on! on 17:11 - Sep 21 with 1021 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Man on! on 16:56 - Sep 21 by jayessess

My weekly kickabout is mixed gender and it's still "man on" regardless of gender. Honestly a lot of the "PC gone mad" chat around stuff like this is people with over-active imaginations inventing "a woke person" to get angry at. In real life people use whatever phrase comes to mind first to communicate instructions and there's negligible social justice activism around what footballers shout at each other (because who cares).

FWIW, in lots of languages the same instruction is given without reference to gender. In Spanish you shout "cuidado" which means "watch out" or "careful". In context it works because what else am I supposed to be careful of when I'm in possession of a football during a match?

See you say that and much of the above is tongue in cheek but it comes from having seen thrse things happen.

Let's not forget this is a week where a pair of jogging trousers have been deemed racist.

Man on! on 17:17 - Sep 21 with 1005 viewsjayessess

Man on! on 17:11 - Sep 21 by BlueandTruesince82

See you say that and much of the above is tongue in cheek but it comes from having seen thrse things happen.

Let's not forget this is a week where a pair of jogging trousers have been deemed racist.

Most people never "see these things" happen in real life, they see some massively over-hyped and overblown discussion in the media and decide it affects them somehow.

Cf. your jogging trousers, a story I had to google and which involved nothing more than a couple of bloggers being slightly annoyed at a fashion house.

Man on! on 17:18 - Sep 21 with 1005 viewsSouthBucksBlue

Man on! on 16:56 - Sep 21 by jayessess

When I’ve played against French players on holiday the expression was ‘Il arrive!’ which I suppose is easy to adapt to ‘Elle arrive!’
Man on! on 17:20 - Sep 21 with 999 viewsjayessess

Man on! on 17:18 - Sep 21 by SouthBucksBlue

When I’ve played against French players on holiday the expression was ‘Il arrive!’ which I suppose is easy to adapt to ‘Elle arrive!’

helps that the syllables are the same, I guess!

Man on! on 18:23 - Sep 21 with 926 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Man on! on 17:17 - Sep 21 by jayessess

Most people never "see these things" happen in real life, they see some massively over-hyped and overblown discussion in the media and decide it affects them somehow.

Cf. your jogging trousers, a story I had to google and which involved nothing more than a couple of bloggers being slightly annoyed at a fashion house.

Again it's not though is it. A couple of bloggers may have started it but then the twitter blue touch paper is lit and it begins.

Does media hype these things up? Yes, does it add to the frenzy absolutely, people then find it in themselves to get outraged at something they didn't see....but they are still outraged.

The rise of the SJW continues unabated and in fairness that's no bad thing, when focused on societies real issues.

Man on! on 18:45 - Sep 21 with 879 viewsjayessess

Man on! on 18:23 - Sep 21 by BlueandTruesince82

Again it's not though is it. A couple of bloggers may have started it but then the twitter blue touch paper is lit and it begins.

Does media hype these things up? Yes, does it add to the frenzy absolutely, people then find it in themselves to get outraged at something they didn't see....but they are still outraged.

The rise of the SJW continues unabated and in fairness that's no bad thing, when focused on societies real issues.

What "blue touch paper was lit"? Some people expressed an opinion about some trousers on the internet and if the media hadn't decided it made good copy you'd never have heard a whisper of it. What effect does it have on your life if these $1100 sweat pants are racist or not? None at all.

Player on sounds better (n/t) on 19:11 - Sep 21 with 847 viewsScottCandage

Man on! on 19:55 - Sep 21 with 801 viewsStourbridgeblue

Man on! on 14:48 - Sep 21 by sotd78

Even in girls football the shout is still "man on"....it's a term that will take a lot of gender politics a long, long time to change.

I watch a fair bit of ladies footy and have never heard anything else. It's 2 x 1 syllable words. No time for gender politics when you're being closed down.

Poll: What do you want on Sunday?

Not …. Man on! on 19:56 - Sep 21 with 797 viewsArnieM

but in the context of HuMAN

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Man on! on 20:13 - Sep 21 with 767 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Man on! on 18:45 - Sep 21 by jayessess

What "blue touch paper was lit"? Some people expressed an opinion about some trousers on the internet and if the media hadn't decided it made good copy you'd never have heard a whisper of it. What effect does it have on your life if these $1100 sweat pants are racist or not? None at all.

I don't think matters (though to answer your question twitter, as I said would be the blue touch paper) isbhaving had it brought to their attention plenty of people agree that said trousers are indeed racist and they're not even made by Hugo Boss

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024