Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Athletic piece on Derby 13:21 - Sep 21 with 3935 viewshype313

Saying any prospective new owner would have to put in an initial £50m to just clear the debts before they can even think about the playing staff.

Chances of liquidation now 50/50.

As much as they gambled, that would be horrific for the fans if they folded.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The Athletic piece on Derby on 13:28 - Sep 21 with 3424 viewsitfc_bucks

Given how far their own fans disappeared up their collective derriere, I'm struggling to find much in the way of sympathy.

A spell of penance, trawling the lower leagues would seem to be in order.

I wouldn't want them to fold, anymore than any other club, but this isn't a case of it being undeserved. The club spent ridiculous sums, wiggled off FFP charges all over the place, engaged in a series of dodgy accounting scandals and I don't remember much of their supporter base being overly concerned. In fact, many were quite obnoxious over it.

The fact that some of our fans wanted us to engage in a similar course of action, was rather worrisome.
The Athletic piece on Derby on 13:37 - Sep 21 with 3362 viewsNthQldITFC

The Athletic piece on Derby on 13:28 - Sep 21 by itfc_bucks

Given how far their own fans disappeared up their collective derriere, I'm struggling to find much in the way of sympathy.

I wouldn't want them to fold, anymore than any other club, but this isn't a case of it being undeserved. The club spent ridiculous sums, wiggled off FFP charges all over the place, engaged in a series of dodgy accounting scandals and I don't remember much of their supporter base being overly concerned. In fact, many were quite obnoxious over it.

The fact that some of our fans wanted us to engage in a similar course of action, was rather worrisome.

The integrity of the game is more important than the fate of any club, so rules have to be adhered to or penalties enforced robustly regardless of the consequences for any individual club.

Otherwise it's: "Well 'they' keep getting away with it so why shouldn't we cheat too?" and we just slither along in a endless stream of filth.

Same principle should apply to politicians, businesses and private individuals as well, but corruption on all levels seems to be endemic.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

The Athletic piece on Derby on 13:37 - Sep 21 with 3354 viewsIllinoisblue

Who are the debts owed to? Is it Mel Morris or are there tax liabilities too?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Athletic piece on Derby on 13:37 - Sep 21 with 3347 viewsFtnfwest

yeah can't see ME doing that again...
The Athletic piece on Derby on 13:40 - Sep 21 with 3329 viewshype313

The Athletic piece on Derby on 13:37 - Sep 21 by Illinoisblue

Who are the debts owed to? Is it Mel Morris or are there tax liabilities too?

£20m to US party and £30m to HMRC

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The Athletic piece on Derby on 13:44 - Sep 21 with 3301 viewsJammyDodgerrr

They are almost certainly going to get liquidated now i would've thought. Any prospective owner is basically going to be buying a league two club because of all the deductions and that just won't be an attractive proposition.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

The Athletic piece on Derby on 13:57 - Sep 21 with 3203 viewsIllinoisblue

The Athletic piece on Derby on 13:40 - Sep 21 by hype313

Yeah that’s a problem.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Athletic piece on Derby on 14:13 - Sep 21 with 3142 viewsFunge

The Athletic piece on Derby on 13:28 - Sep 21 by itfc_bucks

'Given how far their own fans disappeared up their collective derriere, I'm struggling to find much in the way of sympathy'

Pure harsh take, that.

Derby are a proper football club, with a decent pedigree; same as us. No one supports Derby for glory, same as us.

Met a few DCFC fans; they're all decent.

Mel Morris is a total prick, and it's a lesson to everyone that one of the two options on 'sh1t or bust' is, er, bust - but not sure where the idea that Derby fans 'disappeared up their own arses' has come from.
Login to get fewer ads

The Athletic piece on Derby on 14:20 - Sep 21 with 3100 viewschicoazul

So basically 50 to buy the club and assume the on costs? Sounds like a decent enough deal considering we were 30 I think. Of course Morris will want more and won’t play ball.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

The Athletic piece on Derby on 14:21 - Sep 21 with 3093 viewsjayessess

The Athletic piece on Derby on 14:13 - Sep 21 by Funge

'Given how far their own fans disappeared up their collective derriere, I'm struggling to find much in the way of sympathy'

Pure harsh take, that.

Derby are a proper football club, with a decent pedigree; same as us. No one supports Derby for glory, same as us.

Met a few DCFC fans; they're all decent.

Mel Morris is a total prick, and it's a lesson to everyone that one of the two options on 'sh1t or bust' is, er, bust - but not sure where the idea that Derby fans 'disappeared up their own arses' has come from.

I think the idea that any clubs' fans would be any more circumspect about their owner's financial dealings is pretty far-fetched in general.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The Athletic piece on Derby on 14:46 - Sep 21 with 2994 viewsHighgateBlue

The Athletic piece on Derby on 13:40 - Sep 21 by hype313

Wow. Clearly the idea that a Championship might owe £50m is really not a shock anymore. But how on earth did it get to the stage where they owe the tax man £30m?! That's absolutely crazy.
The Athletic piece on Derby on 18:49 - Sep 21 with 2586 viewsmonkeymagic

I listened to the 1 hour Mel Morris interview on BBC Radio Derby. It’s easy to spend someone else’s money but I couldn’t help but conclude he has massively done the dirty on DCFC, and is walking away from a mess largely of his own creation : hoping that his claim of losing 200m wins sympathy.

Shades of Evans in some of his protestations, albeit at least ME wiped the debt. Morris provides a fitting epitaph to Evans Town reign : I may have been dangerously hopeless but Mel was worse.

Given their stature and stadium, it seems surprising that a sale couldn’t be achieved & I wonder if there are even more problems there than are currently known.

I hope they can do a Wigan rather than a Bury : I’ve always thought of them as similar to Town, with proper fans and a history to be genuinely proud of.
The Athletic piece on Derby on 18:56 - Sep 21 with 2569 viewsRadlett_blue

The Athletic piece on Derby on 14:46 - Sep 21 by HighgateBlue

Wow. Clearly the idea that a Championship might owe £50m is really not a shock anymore. But how on earth did it get to the stage where they owe the tax man £30m?! That's absolutely crazy.

Football clubs' debts to HMRC are usually PAYE on wages. Since HMRC lost their "preferred creditor" status when clubs went into admin, they have been much sharper at making winding up orders etc when clubs don't pay their PAYE, but apparently you can now pay back HMRC (in full) in stages as part of a CVA.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Athletic piece on Derby on 19:28 - Sep 21 with 2518 viewsCoastalblue

The Athletic piece on Derby on 18:49 - Sep 21 by monkeymagic

I listened to the 1 hour Mel Morris interview on BBC Radio Derby. It’s easy to spend someone else’s money but I couldn’t help but conclude he has massively done the dirty on DCFC, and is walking away from a mess largely of his own creation : hoping that his claim of losing 200m wins sympathy.

Shades of Evans in some of his protestations, albeit at least ME wiped the debt. Morris provides a fitting epitaph to Evans Town reign : I may have been dangerously hopeless but Mel was worse.

Given their stature and stadium, it seems surprising that a sale couldn’t be achieved & I wonder if there are even more problems there than are currently known.

I hope they can do a Wigan rather than a Bury : I’ve always thought of them as similar to Town, with proper fans and a history to be genuinely proud of.

Who actually owns their stadium? Wasn't selling it at an inflated price one of their little wriggles?
If Morris owns it as opposed to the Club then I suspect it won't be good news for DCFC

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

The Athletic piece on Derby on 19:37 - Sep 21 with 2482 viewsKing_ding_a_lin_g

The Athletic piece on Derby on 18:56 - Sep 21 by Radlett_blue

Football clubs' debts to HMRC are usually PAYE on wages. Since HMRC lost their "preferred creditor" status when clubs went into admin, they have been much sharper at making winding up orders etc when clubs don't pay their PAYE, but apparently you can now pay back HMRC (in full) in stages as part of a CVA.

It is rare, I believe, but I have a client who did exactly that. However, he was able to trade his way out of it, which I assume would be necessary, and Derby can't do that.
The Athletic piece on Derby on 20:00 - Sep 21 with 2423 viewsHighgateBlue

Ah OK, I didn't know about the loss of preferred creditor status. It's a staggering amount of money owed to the taxman though. I can't blame HMRC for not wanting it to get any further out of hand.
The Athletic piece on Derby on 20:10 - Sep 21 with 2381 viewsmonty_radio

Much as M.E. was a massive disappointment, and especially in view of the waving of debt chargable to himself he doesn't personally deserve to be mentioned on this thread.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The Athletic piece on Derby on 20:15 - Sep 21 with 2363 viewsTheBoyBlue

The Athletic piece on Derby on 20:10 - Sep 21 by monty_radio

Much as M.E. was a massive disappointment, and especially in view of the waving of debt chargable to himself he doesn't personally deserve to be mentioned on this thread.

Totally agree. He was rubbish at running a football club, but as the goings on at Derby show, we could've had much, much worse.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

The Athletic piece on Derby on 00:54 - Sep 22 with 2089 viewsChurchman

The Athletic piece on Derby on 20:15 - Sep 21 by TheBoyBlue

Totally agree. He was rubbish at running a football club, but as the goings on at Derby show, we could've had much, much worse.

We could have had much much better than Evans too. Like somebody who didn’t allow the club to rot away to the depths of League 1.

As for Derby, they are a proper club unlike Reading and the majority of their supporters don’t deserve this. They will be ok - they are far too important a football club to go under.
The Athletic piece on Derby on 07:20 - Sep 22 with 1936 viewsPlums

The Athletic piece on Derby on 19:28 - Sep 21 by Coastalblue

Who actually owns their stadium? Wasn't selling it at an inflated price one of their little wriggles?
If Morris owns it as opposed to the Club then I suspect it won't be good news for DCFC

I understand from a mate who’s got connections there that it’s in a separate company but the entire group has been put into admin so it is included. The original company that was formed back in the 1800’s is also in that group so the historic DCFC with its old registration number is likely to disappear regardless.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

The Athletic piece on Derby on 09:21 - Sep 23 with 1509 viewsJammyDodgerrr

The Athletic piece on Derby on 19:28 - Sep 21 by Coastalblue

It was sold to Morris for nearly twice the price it was worth and the club lease it back from him, so it's in a pretty bad position.

The Athletic piece on Derby on 09:52 - Sep 23 with 1457 viewsElderGrizzly

The Athletic piece on Derby on 14:20 - Sep 21 by chicoazul

So basically 50 to buy the club and assume the on costs? Sounds like a decent enough deal considering we were 30 I think. Of course Morris will want more and won’t play ball.

New owner has to provide proof of funding to run the club for 12 or 18 months I believe too.

So to pay off creditors and that figure you need £80m to £100m just to open the door

And that will be for a club in L1 more than likely
[Post edited 23 Sep 2021 9:54]
The Athletic piece on Derby on 14:36 - Sep 23 with 1264 viewsJammyDodgerrr

The Athletic piece on Derby on 09:52 - Sep 23 by ElderGrizzly

New owner has to provide proof of funding to run the club for 12 or 18 months I believe too.

So to pay off creditors and that figure you need £80m to £100m just to open the door

And that will be for a club in L1 more than likely
[Post edited 23 Sep 2021 9:54]

I mean, it just isn't going to happen is it? In reality its a league two club as well because even if they don't get a points deduction for next year, they are unlikely to have the strength to stay up. Feel for the fans, it looks bleak.

The Athletic piece on Derby on 15:02 - Sep 23 with 1233 viewsitfcjoe

I think there was a rule change which has now made HMRC preferred creditors last year

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The Athletic piece on Derby on 15:07 - Sep 23 with 1211 viewsitfc_bucks

The Athletic piece on Derby on 14:36 - Sep 23 by JammyDodgerrr

I mean, it just isn't going to happen is it? In reality its a league two club as well because even if they don't get a points deduction for next year, they are unlikely to have the strength to stay up. Feel for the fans, it looks bleak.

I've really tried hard to feel sorry for them, but there's a major arrogance about so many of them. Yes, they had their glory years and they used to be a big club, but that ended a long time ago now.

They aren't owed a thing, they don't "deserve" to be top flight and I stand by my earlier comment - I don't want to see the club go under (and this is looking more likely by the day), but a period of trawling around down around L1/2 would be an entirely deserved reality check.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024