Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. 14:33 - Sep 21 with 1705 viewsITFC_History

Just a couple of months before we won the the League.
Commenter said he has never seen a penalty given whilst a referee was on his knees. That was 60 years ago & cannot recall one since. Thankfully it went our way. Good to see footage where Bobby Moore played against us.

West Ham

1)Lawrie Leslie
2) Joe Kirkup
3) John Bond
4) Eddie Bovington
5) Ken Brown
6) Bobby Moore
7) Tony Scott
8) Ronnie Boyce
9) Alan Sealey
10) George Dick
11) Malcolm Musgrove

Manger Rom Greenwood

Ipswich
1) Roy Bailey
2) Larry Carberry
3) John Compton
4) Billy Baxter
5) Andy Nelson
6) John Elsworthy
7) Roy Stephenson
8) Doug Moran
9) Ray Crawford
10) Ted Phillips
11) Jimmy Leadbetter

Manager Alf Ramsey

Ps - Press 'watch on you tube' on link below

[Post edited 21 Sep 2021 14:35]
West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 15:00 - Sep 21 with 1624 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

Whow thank you for that, never seen that clip before. Two of that West Ham side went on to manage that lot up the road if memory serves me correctly.
I believe that of our team only Andy Nelson went into management, but I could be wrong.
West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 18:42 - Sep 21 with 1394 viewsGuthrum

West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 15:00 - Sep 21 by Timefliesbyintheblue

Whow thank you for that, never seen that clip before. Two of that West Ham side went on to manage that lot up the road if memory serves me correctly.
I believe that of our team only Andy Nelson went into management, but I could be wrong.

Having looked it up, Baxter and Phillips were player-managers, of Northampton and Floriana (Malta) respectively, Crawford managed Fareham Town then Winchester City, having previously been youth and assistant coaches at Brighton and Portsmouth, plus Leadbetter managed Sudbury Town after leaving Ipswich. But none at the level or longevity of Nelson.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 18:57 - Sep 21 with 1376 viewsTimefliesbyintheblue

West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 18:42 - Sep 21 by Guthrum

Having looked it up, Baxter and Phillips were player-managers, of Northampton and Floriana (Malta) respectively, Crawford managed Fareham Town then Winchester City, having previously been youth and assistant coaches at Brighton and Portsmouth, plus Leadbetter managed Sudbury Town after leaving Ipswich. But none at the level or longevity of Nelson.

Ah yes I can remember Leadbetter at Sudbury but not the others. Ta for info...
West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 19:45 - Sep 21 with 1334 viewsStourbridgeblue

Brilliant! Thanks so much for posting that. The wonderful Kenneth Wolstenholme commentating. (For younger viewers the "They think it's all over. It is now" man.) I love his comment "Crawford & Phillips away from the middle. There can't be much danger"

Poll: What do you want on Sunday?

West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 20:05 - Sep 21 with 1294 viewsmonty_radio

As a child I only thought of Ray Crawford as a goalscorer, but there are glimpses here of what a good footballer he actually was too.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 22:00 - Sep 21 with 1188 viewsGlasgowBlue

Individual error costing is the first goal. Booooo

Bailey costs us the second. Bring in Holy for the next game Alf.
[Post edited 21 Sep 2021 22:04]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 22:28 - Sep 21 with 1152 viewsLord_Lucan

Good to see Charles "Charlie" Charles in action again

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 23:00 - Sep 21 with 1108 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Great stuff. Never seen any footage of that team before aside from a brief clip of Phillips scoring from range.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 23:06 - Sep 21 with 1098 viewsTrumptonBlue

That channel has a few Town games from that season and from a Cup tie at Peterborough in the 50s, and more videos are added regularly. Worth keeping an eye on.
West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 00:42 - Sep 22 with 1053 viewsChurchman

Thank you for posting that. Great stuff! Never seen it before, or the WBA game that follows it. Upton Park hadn’t changed when I first went there in the early 70s or of course PR until the Cobbold/East stand was built in 72ish. Upton Park was a really tight ground with loads of atmosphere. Noticeable to me was the lack of advertising around the stadium and at Portman Road in those days.
West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 03:49 - Sep 22 with 1026 viewsITFC_History

West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 19:45 - Sep 21 by Stourbridgeblue

Brilliant! Thanks so much for posting that. The wonderful Kenneth Wolstenholme commentating. (For younger viewers the "They think it's all over. It is now" man.) I love his comment "Crawford & Phillips away from the middle. There can't be much danger"

Not sure if you seen this one with Kenneth Wolstenholme. Lovely intro leading up to kick off whilst sitting with spectators.

[Post edited 22 Sep 2021 4:07]
West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 05:00 - Sep 22 with 994 viewsITFC_History

West Ham v Ipswich 24th February 1962. on 00:42 - Sep 22 by Churchman

Thank you for posting that. Great stuff! Never seen it before, or the WBA game that follows it. Upton Park hadn’t changed when I first went there in the early 70s or of course PR until the Cobbold/East stand was built in 72ish. Upton Park was a really tight ground with loads of atmosphere. Noticeable to me was the lack of advertising around the stadium and at Portman Road in those days.

It was wonderful seeing Sir Bobby Robson playing on our hallowed turf for WBA in that one.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024