Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Conor Wickham …. 20:14 - Sep 21 with 3557 viewsArnieM

Sadly he looks like he’s only lasted just 7 mins tonight playing for PNE before he’s been subbed.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Conor Wickham …. on 20:52 - Sep 21 with 3292 viewsWonTheCupin78

Bad hamstring injury apparently.
Conor Wickham …. on 20:59 - Sep 21 with 3251 viewsSwansea_Blue

A sad waste of a career through both injury and wrong club moves. He's probably done ok financially though.

The 13 league goals he scored for us in 3 seasons remains his highest total for any club. Amazing really, despite spending as long or longer at 3 other clubs.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Conor Wickham …. on 21:31 - Sep 21 with 3078 viewsSitfcB

Conor Wickham …. on 20:59 - Sep 21 by Swansea_Blue

A sad waste of a career through both injury and wrong club moves. He's probably done ok financially though.

The 13 league goals he scored for us in 3 seasons remains his highest total for any club. Amazing really, despite spending as long or longer at 3 other clubs.

I always said he should’ve stayed here one more year, might’ve made a difference, who knows.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Conor Wickham …. on 22:29 - Sep 21 with 2821 viewsBlue_Moses

Conor Wickham …. on 20:59 - Sep 21 by Swansea_Blue

Just under £1M per goal for Sunderland and Palace.
Conor Wickham …. on 22:39 - Sep 21 with 2758 viewsIllinoisblue

Sad for him. I’m sure he’s got plenty of money but I’m sure would swap it for playing 30+ games a season. His wonder goal for us v Sheff Utd will always be poignant for me as I was at the game on a quick UK visit to see my dying dad. TEN years ago. Blimey.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Conor Wickham …. on 09:15 - Sep 22 with 2248 viewsManchesterblue

Conor Wickham …. on 21:31 - Sep 21 by SitfcB

I always said he should’ve stayed here one more year, might’ve made a difference, who knows.

Agent of ICM sports..... One Jonathon Barnett

Money grabbing Bstad

Conor Wickham …. on 09:21 - Sep 22 with 2203 viewsmarchy

Pretty sure he didn't want to go if memory serves?
Conor Wickham …. on 09:50 - Sep 22 with 2118 viewsGarv

I think he was assumed good enough for the PL based on his size, but it was fairly obvious a loan back to us for a year would have been the best option. He'd had one proper spell of form in that second half of 2010/11 and he went off the back of that.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Login to get fewer ads

Conor Wickham …. on 09:59 - Sep 22 with 2077 viewsParsley

Because we have such a good injury record?
Conor Wickham …. on 10:04 - Sep 22 with 2047 viewsSwansea_Blue

Possibly. He never really got a change to get going did he. I think he'd only played a couple of game in his first few months before his first injury and then couldn't get back in the side later in the season. You can't legislate for injuries but another year playing regularly with us certainly wouldn't have done any harm.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Conor Wickham …. on 10:41 - Sep 22 with 1949 viewsFBI

Took my youngest to PR for a dull draw against Millwall years ago. Told him to watch Wickham closely because one day he'd be able to tell the story of how he saw him with Ipswich... got that badly wrong, didn't i?

Mind you, we went to Yeovil a few years later and I said, "That Mings kid's a bit crap. He won't last long."

Sigh.

(TBF he did have a bit of a stinker that night)
[Post edited 22 Sep 2021 10:50]

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Conor Wickham …. on 12:14 - Sep 22 with 1739 viewsjayessess

Equally he stays at Ipswich, gets a series of bad injuries whilst still at the club, his levels drop, he never gets a move upwards and instead of a decade of Premier League wages, he drifts down to the lower leagues in his early 20s without anywhere near the safety net. For details, see Ted Bishop's career to date.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Conor Wickham …. on 12:18 - Sep 22 with 1706 viewsArnieM

Some players body’s just can’t take the rigours of professional level sport and are always injured . Dyer and Wickham fit the mould . Shame but that’s what it is ….

Conor Wickham …. on 12:33 - Sep 22 with 1640 viewsjayessess

Conor Wickham …. on 12:18 - Sep 22 by ArnieM

Some players body’s just can’t take the rigours of professional level sport and are always injured . Dyer and Wickham fit the mould . Shame but that’s what it is ….

Dyer's was robust enough to play 329 league matches and 33 full internationals, even though, as he's the first to admit, he didn't do a great job of looking after it.

Conor Wickham …. on 12:34 - Sep 22 with 1634 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Conor Wickham …. on 22:29 - Sep 21 by Blue_Moses

Just under £1M per goal for Sunderland and Palace.

The amount Palace were asking as a loan fee for him I doubt they did too badly overall. He did ok for them when he actually played too.
Conor Wickham …. on 14:58 - Sep 22 with 1382 viewstractorshark

I freely admit I’m in the minority but I never thought Wickham was quite as good as people made out.
Yes he had talent but his biggest attribute was his size.
He dominated opponents in his youth days which created the buzz and hype.
And his debut was a PR stunt by Magilton to take the heat off him and give fans hope towards the end of his reign.
Having said that, I did see Wickham play well for Ipswich, although I never thought he was ready for the Prem when we sold him. His touch at that time was average, he wasn’t a natural finisher or especially pacey and he couldn’t bully Prem defenders like he did in the Championship.
I thought it was bloody good business for us, particularly after selling Rhodes for pittance.
The sad thing is we don’t know what he could have achieved because his career has been blighted by injury, a bit like Andy Carroll. A real shame and I do wish him well.
Conor Wickham …. on 16:44 - Sep 22 with 1250 viewsArnieM

Conor Wickham …. on 12:33 - Sep 22 by jayessess

Dyer's was robust enough to play 329 league matches and 33 full internationals, even though, as he's the first to admit, he didn't do a great job of looking after it.

Maybe that was what it was then. My memory dims now but he always seemed to pick up injuries ( when he was with us anyway). Maybe it’s was because he was young ?

Conor Wickham …. on 17:11 - Sep 22 with 1182 viewsjayessess

Conor Wickham …. on 16:44 - Sep 22 by ArnieM

Maybe that was what it was then. My memory dims now but he always seemed to pick up injuries ( when he was with us anyway). Maybe it’s was because he was young ?

Pretty injury free in his 2 full seasons with us, actually. Played in 41 of 48 league matches in 1997-98 and in 37 of 48 the year after. As I recall the games he missed in 1998-99 were a contact injury (a hairline toe fracture) rather than a breakdown.

From 2005-6 onwards is when almost every season is a wash out, including the brief loan spell with us.
[Post edited 22 Sep 2021 17:12]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024