Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) 20:42 - Sep 23 with 2017 viewsKeno

seems I have may have gout

its 'fffing painful

anyone else suffer with it?
[Post edited 23 Sep 2021 20:42]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 20:46 - Sep 23 with 1780 viewsSwansea_Blue

Have you tried rubbing it to see what happens?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 20:51 - Sep 23 with 1759 viewsKeno

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 20:46 - Sep 23 by Swansea_Blue

Have you tried rubbing it to see what happens?

It swells up and throbs a lot

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 21:03 - Sep 23 with 1732 viewsSwansea_Blue

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 20:51 - Sep 23 by Keno

It swells up and throbs a lot

Sounds broken. You need to either turn it off and on again, or hit it with a hammer.

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 21:13 - Sep 23 with 1714 viewsKeno

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 21:03 - Sep 23 by Swansea_Blue

Sounds broken. You need to either turn it off and on again, or hit it with a hammer.

I have actually for to have it x rayed to check there isnt a break

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 21:17 - Sep 23 with 1704 viewsSwansea_Blue

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 21:13 - Sep 23 by Keno

I have actually for to have it x rayed to check there isnt a break

Ouch. Hope that works out ok for you Keno.

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 21:26 - Sep 23 with 1687 viewsCrayonKing

Yea, I get it sometimes although thankfully it's been a couple of years since I last had a flare-up. Genuinely the most painful thing I've experienced, more so than broken bones.

I found ibuprofen helped to reduce the inflammation and pain, and laying off dark ales and skipping the gravy with roast dinners seemed to reduce flare-ups. The gout society has a list of things to avoid, although some of it seems pretty anecdotal rather than rooted in science - "This may help", "some people find cutting this out helps" kind of advice.
I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 21:44 - Sep 23 with 1666 viewsgtsb1966

Gout is mainly found in the big toe but can be felt in the ankles and knees too. I get it in the toe and it is so painful. I take a daily dose of allopurinol now and it rarely flares up. Without allopurinol even the weight of the bedsheet causes pain. Avoid foods high in purines and drink lots of water.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2021 21:46]
I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 21:46 - Sep 23 with 1651 viewsKeno

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 21:44 - Sep 23 by gtsb1966

Gout is mainly found in the big toe but can be felt in the ankles and knees too. I get it in the toe and it is so painful. I take a daily dose of allopurinol now and it rarely flares up. Without allopurinol even the weight of the bedsheet causes pain. Avoid foods high in purines and drink lots of water.
[Post edited 23 Sep 2021 21:46]

Yes I share the bed sheet pain!

It makes sleeping interesting

Login to get fewer ads

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 22:59 - Sep 23 with 1564 viewsearlsgreenblue

Lay off the red wine, drink more beer………helps with mine, allopurinol if I feel the need, but before it gets too bad, or a day on anti inflammatory 1st, then allopurinol for a week, might be months before it flares up again.
I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 23:13 - Sep 23 with 1548 viewsTooManyCooks

My old man recently started suffering with this, foot swelled up and apparently is extremely painful. I believe gout is a type of arthritis, but I've always understood it to be brought on by an unhealthy lifestyle (which causes changes in the body that leads to gout developing, something like that anyway) which is pretty much what my father was told by the doctor. He now doesn't eat a lot of red meat, eats a crap load of cherries, goes walking more often, has lost weight and the gout hasn't troubled him much since the shift to healthier living.

You should get it checked out with the doctor, because every case is different and apparently the things that cause gout can also cause other more serious issues, though I don't know what, I was just told that by the old man, who was told that by the doctor, apparently, my old man doesn't listen very well, or hear very well for that matter, the two are definitely linked.

hedgehog flavoured cucumbers

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 00:04 - Sep 24 with 1498 viewsFreddies_Ears

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 23:13 - Sep 23 by TooManyCooks

My old man recently started suffering with this, foot swelled up and apparently is extremely painful. I believe gout is a type of arthritis, but I've always understood it to be brought on by an unhealthy lifestyle (which causes changes in the body that leads to gout developing, something like that anyway) which is pretty much what my father was told by the doctor. He now doesn't eat a lot of red meat, eats a crap load of cherries, goes walking more often, has lost weight and the gout hasn't troubled him much since the shift to healthier living.

You should get it checked out with the doctor, because every case is different and apparently the things that cause gout can also cause other more serious issues, though I don't know what, I was just told that by the old man, who was told that by the doctor, apparently, my old man doesn't listen very well, or hear very well for that matter, the two are definitely linked.

That is all great advice, and saved me a load of typing, as my own experience has been very similar. All lifestyle-related. Having now lost lots of weight, got relatively fit, exercising lots (15000 steps a day + PT twice a week) means I can enjoy red wine once again...
I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 05:03 - Sep 24 with 1407 viewsChondzoresk

I suffered from gout. I was put on Allipurinol. It sorted it out over a period of time. Speak to your doctor. Good luck.
I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 06:41 - Sep 24 with 1370 viewsGlasgowBlue

Ask your Doctor for Colchicine. It’s a three day treatment that sorts it out in the short term.

As others have said, Allopurinol is the long term solution. I take 300mg a day and I can’t remember the last flare up I had (touch wood).

You’ll need a blood test first to see what your Uric acid levels are.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 09:22 - Sep 24 with 1298 viewsTooManyCooks

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 00:04 - Sep 24 by Freddies_Ears

That is all great advice, and saved me a load of typing, as my own experience has been very similar. All lifestyle-related. Having now lost lots of weight, got relatively fit, exercising lots (15000 steps a day + PT twice a week) means I can enjoy red wine once again...

It was all going so well, until the last bit about it being all in the name of a glass of red wine, lol.

That's the nail on the head though isn't it, your body is now making you earn occasional food/drink treats through healthier living. My old man would much rather be scoffing cake and biscuits and getting fat, but clearly the pain from gout is enough to drive even the most stubborn to make lifestyle changes. I don't think he was offered any medication and I'm actually pleased with that, it would be easy to pop a couple of pills, but encouraging people to listen to their body could very well extend his lifespan and make whatever time is left more enjoyable to boot.

I imagine you feel a lot better being fitter and lighter and if it's keeping the gout away too, it's a win/win.

hedgehog flavoured cucumbers

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 09:24 - Sep 24 with 1294 viewsWallingford_Boy

plantaar faschitis?

RIP Sir Bobby

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 09:54 - Sep 24 with 1276 viewsnoggin

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 10:26 - Sep 24 with 1243 viewsbobwya

The most painful thing I've ever had and òh that bedsheet! As others have said allopurinol does the job I have taken it for years without another flare up - I hope I haven't tempted fate there
I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 10:27 - Sep 24 with 1242 viewsjontysnut

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 06:41 - Sep 24 by GlasgowBlue

Ask your Doctor for Colchicine. It’s a three day treatment that sorts it out in the short term.

As others have said, Allopurinol is the long term solution. I take 300mg a day and I can’t remember the last flare up I had (touch wood).

You’ll need a blood test first to see what your Uric acid levels are.

Allurpurinol to keep uric acid level steady and I take a stronger NSAID than ibuprofen if a flare up happens - eg indomethacin on prescription. Still drink red wine and ale but cut out shellfish, most red meat, beef stock and Marmite, which I found used to set me off. Concentrated yeast.
I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 10:30 - Sep 24 with 1238 viewssotd78

Gout is caused by the uric acid in your blood stream . This crystallises in the cooler parts of your body - often then your toes or your fingers. The crystals cause the pain. The problem is caused to a great degrtee by purine in foods - so there are some foods to avoid - believe it or not orange juice is a major sourse of purine; as is shellfish, mushrooms and yeast products like bread and beer, but also wines like port. It was often linked to a rich diet.
Purinol is the drug used if the problem cannot be resolved by watching the dietary intake.

I went sober for October a few years back and drank orange juice in quantitiy - that started mine off. It flares occasionally if I forget to watch the purine intake.

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 11:23 - Sep 24 with 1201 viewsMedwayTractor

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 10:30 - Sep 24 by sotd78

Gout is caused by the uric acid in your blood stream . This crystallises in the cooler parts of your body - often then your toes or your fingers. The crystals cause the pain. The problem is caused to a great degrtee by purine in foods - so there are some foods to avoid - believe it or not orange juice is a major sourse of purine; as is shellfish, mushrooms and yeast products like bread and beer, but also wines like port. It was often linked to a rich diet.
Purinol is the drug used if the problem cannot be resolved by watching the dietary intake.

I went sober for October a few years back and drank orange juice in quantitiy - that started mine off. It flares occasionally if I forget to watch the purine intake.

I had five serious doses of gout over a 10 year period, but nothing in the last 5 years or so. I can confirm the comments about bedsheets, luckily my gout has been in the summer, so sleeping without any covers is OK.

As far as I understand it, alluprinol will (or might?) help to stop gout attacks, by helping the body deal with the uric acid, it doesn't help much if the attack is in progress.

I'm one of those who dislikes taking pills, so did some research when I had my first attack. I dislike the the NHS approach for dishing out pills regardless, so I found an alternative, which, surprise surprise, my GP said he had never heard of. If I get an inkling of gout onset, or if I've overdosed on high purine foods (red wine, beer, red meat for example), I take a dose of organic cider apple vinegar (you'll find Aspalls in most supermarkets) with raw local honey (from farm shops or farmers markets). A dessert spoonful of each, dissolved in a mug of hot water does it for me.

The ultimate remedy is to avoid anything high in purines in excess and keep up your fluid intake.

Blog: Who's Next Between the Sticks (Or Be Careful What You Wish For)?

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 11:24 - Sep 24 with 1201 viewsPendejo

Used to suffer with gout in left knee every 6 months or so, 6 years ago swapped this for kidney stones, which once hospitalised me. All great fun, no sorry fun not the right word... PAIN!

With gout, as others have stated, that featherweight sheet suddenly feels like a crushing weight.

Last attack of gout was April this year which caused me to withdraw from a job application process.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 14:36 - Aug 5 with 614 viewsCrayonKing

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I've finally seen the doctor for this after suffering in silence for a few years, and trying to manage it through diet and giving up booze etc. Info might be useful to other suffers.

Doc reckons its more down to metabolism than diet and some people are just more prone to it than others. Blood test results seem to indicate that too - my uric acid levels shot-up a week after my last flare up (they go down during a flare-up because its converted to the pesky crystals) despite no red meat, booze, or any of the other triggers.

Been put on alipurinol and so far, so good. Uric acid levels are back to normal and no sign of any flare-ups. Highly recommend seeing a doctor if you're a sufferer because treatment seems to have come a long way and a lot of the info on the internet seems to be outdated.
I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 14:46 - Aug 5 with 574 viewsjeera

Get onto the blood tests Keno.

Uric acid crystals don't choose where they get dumped off and although it's usually the joints; yes the big toe famously and other joints as already mentioned, they can form in the heart too.

Allopurinol is the long-term management but that itself can cause flare-ups so chances are the doc would give you Colchicine to help counter any of those whilst your blood finds the right balance. Colchicine knock me for six and I wouldn't drive on them but I'm sure that's not the same for everyone but they are only a 3 day treatment [at a time] as a rule to knock back any major attacks.

Purines are found in varying levels in almost everything in things like prawns and salmon to even spinach.

Print off a chart so you can compare when you get a twinge to what you may have consumed that caused it.

I had 3 giant tiger prawns the other week and won't be doing that again.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 14:49 - Aug 5 with 565 viewsKeno

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 14:36 - Aug 5 by CrayonKing

Apologies for the thread necromancy, but I've finally seen the doctor for this after suffering in silence for a few years, and trying to manage it through diet and giving up booze etc. Info might be useful to other suffers.

Doc reckons its more down to metabolism than diet and some people are just more prone to it than others. Blood test results seem to indicate that too - my uric acid levels shot-up a week after my last flare up (they go down during a flare-up because its converted to the pesky crystals) despite no red meat, booze, or any of the other triggers.

Been put on alipurinol and so far, so good. Uric acid levels are back to normal and no sign of any flare-ups. Highly recommend seeing a doctor if you're a sufferer because treatment seems to have come a long way and a lot of the info on the internet seems to be outdated.

Seen a doc and got it kind of under control. Had issues with alipurinol so am just being careful diet wise.

Bought myself a Uric Acid/Blood sugar test kit (there was some debate that my hypoglycemia was affecting things) and while the acid level is high the blood sugar is ok

thanks for raising this

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 14:52 - Aug 5 with 545 viewsjeera

I have a very sore foot (yes I know it looks longer) on 14:49 - Aug 5 by Keno

Seen a doc and got it kind of under control. Had issues with alipurinol so am just being careful diet wise.

Bought myself a Uric Acid/Blood sugar test kit (there was some debate that my hypoglycemia was affecting things) and while the acid level is high the blood sugar is ok

thanks for raising this

I hadn't even realised this was an old thread.

Glad you've got something sorted.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024