Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cook’s probably right about Donacien 11:57 - Sep 24 with 1193 viewsDarth_Koont

As the best one-against-one defender at the club. But that’s not happened overnight and he should have been given much more credit for that before hand.

Same really happened with Knudsen who was as good as Berra in his defensive role. Yet criticised for a perceived lack of ability going forward. When the truth is that he (and Donacien for that matter) was/is perfectly OK in that department too.

I think at League One level, and certainly with the attacking talent ahead of the defence, we’d do well to value the defenders who get the basics right.

Pronouns: He/Him

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 12:07 - Sep 24 with 1128 viewstractorboy1978

We all like to see the full backs bombing on, throwing players forwards and scoring 3/4 goals but the reality is we have such talent in that front 4 that if we can be solid, resolute, and defend properly we will win the majority of games we play.

Perhaps Morsy coming in will allow us to play a bit more expansively but we don't need to be gung-ho to win games.
Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 12:15 - Sep 24 with 1089 viewsBlueandTruesince82

I think he was treated so harshly by Lambert who decided he'd seen enough at Villa to know what he was about despite the fact that was some years ago and players develop.

V short sighted on his behalf really and I'm pleased for Janoi getting the chance to prove him wrong

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 12:16 - Sep 24 with 1091 viewsGuthrum

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 12:07 - Sep 24 by tractorboy1978

We all like to see the full backs bombing on, throwing players forwards and scoring 3/4 goals but the reality is we have such talent in that front 4 that if we can be solid, resolute, and defend properly we will win the majority of games we play.

Perhaps Morsy coming in will allow us to play a bit more expansively but we don't need to be gung-ho to win games.

As long as the midfield can provide that connectivity, it shouldn't be necessary for the FBs to push forward every time. Especially in circumstances where the defence is under pressure.

In reality, modern football has turned FBs into ersatz wingers, to provide spare players so they can overload the midfield and have three in the forward line. But the price of that (at most levels) is needing one or two of the midfielders to drop back in a defensive role to cover.

Now there is a situation with "ball playing" CBs splitting wide to become de facto traditional FBs and one or two of the midfield taking over their central defensive role. So things have just cycled round, rather than genuinely changing.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 12:18 - Sep 24 with 1079 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed. Morsy looks important for that defensive/attacking balance.

Also, if Donacien can be part of building a strong, confident defence then in the long run it’ll be easier for KVY to come in and impress. He’s looked a little lost at both ends of the pitch so far. And his attacking threat from deep should still be a huge weapon as the season goes on.

Just like having both Makin and Wilnis was a good thing back in the day.

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 12:26 - Sep 24 with 1025 viewsGarv

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 12:15 - Sep 24 by BlueandTruesince82

I think he was treated so harshly by Lambert who decided he'd seen enough at Villa to know what he was about despite the fact that was some years ago and players develop.

V short sighted on his behalf really and I'm pleased for Janoi getting the chance to prove him wrong

He's very dependable and you could see from his first few games in 2018 he was excellent one-on-one, but realistically he's only playing because we've been shipping goals, and if we can learn to keep clean sheets without him I don't see him playing many back to back games.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 12:26 - Sep 24 with 1021 viewsChrisd

I'm not one of JD's biggest fans and think he is a limited defender, but what I will say is for all the knock backs he has had while he's been here he keeps coming back with no complaints or sulking and that speaks volumes about his character. He'll be starting tomorrow, lets hope he has another good performance like last week at Lincoln City.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 12:38 - Sep 24 with 989 viewsBlueandTruesince82

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 12:26 - Sep 24 by Garv

He's very dependable and you could see from his first few games in 2018 he was excellent one-on-one, but realistically he's only playing because we've been shipping goals, and if we can learn to keep clean sheets without him I don't see him playing many back to back games.

I'd agree with that. KVY bombing it up and down the wing is still what I expect to see. But he's shown he worthy of a place in the squad and actually looks by far and away the best of Hursts signings

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 12:52 - Sep 24 with 948 viewsNthQldITFC

I don't see any reason why the right hand side can't be a little less attacking from the fullback than the left, in which case the centre backs can be slightly more left-biased as well and take a bit of defensive pressure off the 2. Still the same 4-2-3-1 but with a slight twist. Probably an ideal modification to PCs preferred 4-2-3-1 at the moment whilst we're still finding our feet as a team.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 13:01 - Sep 24 with 918 viewsjayessess

With hindsight, it might have been a good idea to start the season with a more cautious mindset and introduce some of the more ambitious aspects of our longer term tactical plans a bit more gradually.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 13:06 - Sep 24 with 895 viewspointofblue

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 12:52 - Sep 24 by NthQldITFC

I don't see any reason why the right hand side can't be a little less attacking from the fullback than the left, in which case the centre backs can be slightly more left-biased as well and take a bit of defensive pressure off the 2. Still the same 4-2-3-1 but with a slight twist. Probably an ideal modification to PCs preferred 4-2-3-1 at the moment whilst we're still finding our feet as a team.

I wonder if it opens up the opportunity for us to drop to a back three when in attack? When all fit and available…

Donacien - Edmundson - Burgess
Carroll - Morsy - Penney
Burns - Celina - Bonne - Edwards

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 13:08 - Sep 24 with 894 viewsDarth_Koont

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 13:01 - Sep 24 by jayessess

With hindsight, it might have been a good idea to start the season with a more cautious mindset and introduce some of the more ambitious aspects of our longer term tactical plans a bit more gradually.

Agreed. Although coming out all guns blazing v. Morecambe should have given us a comfortable win and a bit of momentum/confidence. But for individual errors no team should really be making.

I think Cook’s willingness to play ourselves into form is admirable and perhaps ultimately the best long-term approach. But looks like a mistake when it doesn’t come off.

Cook’s probably right about Donacien on 14:53 - Sep 24 with 742 viewsJ2BLUE

Donacien has always been underrated defensively.

I agree with you. With our front four (whoever we pick) we should be looking to keep it solid at the back.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024