Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Safe standing at Portman Road 17:17 - Sep 24 with 931 viewsdominiciawful

If/when it eventually comes in, do we think it will be implemented in the entirety of the lower tier of the North Stand? And maybe the U2 block of the lower Cobbold up the SBRL end?

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

Safe standing at Portman Road on 17:18 - Sep 24 with 913 viewsJ2BLUE

It should be in the entire lower north IMO apart from the disabled sections obviously.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Safe standing at Portman Road on 17:25 - Sep 24 with 888 viewsIllinoisblue

Safe standing at Portman Road on 17:18 - Sep 24 by J2BLUE

It should be in the entire lower north IMO apart from the disabled sections obviously.

I assume the club liaises with the disabled fans groups but feels like we could give them better position in the ground. Maybe on the halfway line of lower Cobbold.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Safe standing at Portman Road on 17:55 - Sep 24 with 839 viewsSlambo

Really think people are going to be disappointed with these 'rail-seat' standing areas when they return. The decision makers in this completely disregarded the thing that makes standing so appealing: the ability to move freely about. That way singers can congregate together and those that would rather watch the game quietly can do likewise. Rail seats still restrict one person to one place - even more so with a waist high barrier along every row. One of the main supposed benefits of standing areas is that they improve atmosphere, but with rail seats the same problem remains - different types of supporter forced in together with no easy way of separating them. Why can't we just have, say, 3 or 4 rows of terracing with a crush barrier after? That would stop those massive 20 foot surges you used to see, but also allow a bit of freedom of movement. The Yellow Wall at Dortmund is a completely normal terrace and can house 25,000 supporters without any incident. Why can't we have that..?!

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Safe standing at Portman Road on 19:06 - Sep 24 with 745 viewstextbackup

Safe standing at Portman Road on 17:55 - Sep 24 by Slambo

Really think people are going to be disappointed with these 'rail-seat' standing areas when they return. The decision makers in this completely disregarded the thing that makes standing so appealing: the ability to move freely about. That way singers can congregate together and those that would rather watch the game quietly can do likewise. Rail seats still restrict one person to one place - even more so with a waist high barrier along every row. One of the main supposed benefits of standing areas is that they improve atmosphere, but with rail seats the same problem remains - different types of supporter forced in together with no easy way of separating them. Why can't we just have, say, 3 or 4 rows of terracing with a crush barrier after? That would stop those massive 20 foot surges you used to see, but also allow a bit of freedom of movement. The Yellow Wall at Dortmund is a completely normal terrace and can house 25,000 supporters without any incident. Why can't we have that..?!

because 76 year old eric will get a standing place there, because its where he's always stood, and get bundled from pillar to post.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Safe standing at Portman Road on 00:26 - Sep 25 with 551 viewsDanny_G

Interestingly, only the lower half at Dortmund is actually a normal terrace. The upper half, which was built as a later expansion, is rail seating (the type we’re going to get here). I’ve been in plenty of rail seating areas in Germany and it honestly doesn’t feel much different from a normal terrace for one simple reason - they allow two standing areas for every one seat so, when it’s full, you’re huddled together in much the same way as a traditional terrace. The picture here shows how you have two steps in each row

What concerns me here is that the pilot announcement seemed to give the condition of one person standing per seated place (as you described) which essentially atomises everyone in the same way as seating. It’s not impossible that might be changed later, but if not, I fear you might be right - it’ll just be no different from standing in seats now.
Safe standing at Portman Road on 09:07 - Sep 25 with 397 viewsSlambo

Safe standing at Portman Road on 00:26 - Sep 25 by Danny_G

Interestingly, only the lower half at Dortmund is actually a normal terrace. The upper half, which was built as a later expansion, is rail seating (the type we’re going to get here). I’ve been in plenty of rail seating areas in Germany and it honestly doesn’t feel much different from a normal terrace for one simple reason - they allow two standing areas for every one seat so, when it’s full, you’re huddled together in much the same way as a traditional terrace. The picture here shows how you have two steps in each row

What concerns me here is that the pilot announcement seemed to give the condition of one person standing per seated place (as you described) which essentially atomises everyone in the same way as seating. It’s not impossible that might be changed later, but if not, I fear you might be right - it’ll just be no different from standing in seats now.

Oh interesting, didn't know that about the Yellow Wall. Either way, that's still a significant piece of terracing there that fans have filled for decades without anyone getting hurt. And i'm sure i'm right in saying that the manority of grounds in Germany still do use normal terracing and rail seating is very much the exception. But you're right, that picture there was what I was expecting. A few more rows in between would be better, but that's a compromise. But looking at the sections installed in grounds already, it looks as if all they've done is bolt in a massive across the tops of the seats! And this is apparently the only model being okayed by the English authorities. Classic example of those in charge 'listening' to the fans but really just coming out with token gestures and half-ar$ed concessions. Just have to to hope that that's the main thing to come out of the trial period and more standing area designs are permitted when it's all finally re-legalised. Have my doubts though...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

Safe standing at Portman Road on 09:13 - Sep 25 with 392 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Those crush barriers were lethal (not literally if there are sufficient of them). But I remember the first time I stood behind one in a large crowd not realising what was going to happen when we scored and being crushed against it. Of course, after that first experience, I learned to duck under it instead.

There were issues with having too few of them where the weight of people caused them to fail (was that Ibrox?), but you have covered that with your suggestion of higher frequency to them. A good suggestion.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Safe standing at Portman Road on 09:26 - Sep 25 with 379 viewspennblue

>That way singers can congregate together

Nail, head.

Poll: How are we going to try and undermine the manager today?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024