Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Eight matches is a good part of a season 17:50 - Sep 25 with 865 viewsSteve_M

And it’s a real concern that so much of our play looks so disjointed and ineffective. This was always a risk with the amount of change we made last Summer but averaging less than a point a game in the third division really isn’t part of any plan worthy of the name.

I thought we were a bit unfortunate to be behind at half-time today, we had the better of the first half only to concede a well taken goal from Wednesday’s only chance of note. We invited pressure onto ourselves though, Burns losing the ball twice in quick succession. At least Burns was in the game in an attacking sense, Celina and Fraser drifted through too much of the first half; nice bits of play when they got involved but it didn’t happen enough.

The second half was a real disappointment, we created sporadic chances but without any semblance of a pattern of play or sustained pressure. It was all made worse by long periods of time-wasting to which the referee seemed totally oblivious for the most part, despite that they were looking good for a solid away win until they made a total mess of things defensively. Really impressive composure from Bonne and Fraser though, out of keeping with too much of our play today.

We could still have won it, had Harper played in Bonne. Maybe had we scored five minutes earlier we might have still forced another chance but it still isn’t really good enough. We still look a mess off the ball but don’t carry enough goal threat to compensate for it.

I suppose that if we do win on Tuesday then today can count as a good point but we really do have to win that. This is an expensive squad, assembled to get promoted not bumble around the bottom of the third division. I see few signs that we are closer to the former than the latter at present. Adding in the way Cook finished last season then five wins from 24 matches is looking distinctly unimpressive.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Eight matches is a good part of a season on 18:06 - Sep 25 with 775 viewsIllinoisblue

Disjointed is absolutely the key word. Large parts of our play are meh. No doubt we’ll hear from Cook about more work to be done in the training ground but it’s nearly October. It’s time to perform. Beat Donny and 7 from 9 looks okay in isolation but unless we go on an incredible run we’re going to be playing catch up for the rest of the season.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Eight matches is a good part of a season on 18:18 - Sep 25 with 733 viewsSteve_M

Eight matches is a good part of a season on 18:06 - Sep 25 by Illinoisblue

Disjointed is absolutely the key word. Large parts of our play are meh. No doubt we’ll hear from Cook about more work to be done in the training ground but it’s nearly October. It’s time to perform. Beat Donny and 7 from 9 looks okay in isolation but unless we go on an incredible run we’re going to be playing catch up for the rest of the season.

As with Cook’s record here last season, the failure to make a good start this season will see attention drawn time and time again to our weak coaching set up. Nothing so far this season disproves either concern.

I did think as that goal went in that it might just be one that helps keeps Cook in the job, but we need to win Tuesday. Absolutely have to.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Eight matches is a good part of a season on 18:28 - Sep 25 with 697 viewsHighgateBlue

Eight matches is a good part of a season on 18:18 - Sep 25 by Steve_M

As with Cook’s record here last season, the failure to make a good start this season will see attention drawn time and time again to our weak coaching set up. Nothing so far this season disproves either concern.

I did think as that goal went in that it might just be one that helps keeps Cook in the job, but we need to win Tuesday. Absolutely have to.

Many said that Cook should get until the end of September. That's after our next match against mighty Doncaster. If we don't win, I think Cook should go. His performance since he arrived has been astonishingly bad. There comes a time when stock has to be taken, and right now we're a lot closer to League 2 than the Championship. That cannot be tolerated for long.
Eight matches is a good part of a season on 18:51 - Sep 25 with 656 viewsKeaneish

Eight matches is a good part of a season on 18:18 - Sep 25 by Steve_M

Too much melodrama in these posts for me tonight. It seems to be human nature on TWTD to focus on the negatives and not reflect on any positives. I know you know that Chaplin’s goal isn’t one that’ll save Cook’s career so I’m not sure why the negative disposition.

I agree we weren’t very fluid today, gave them a way into the game with a sloppy ten minutes in the first half but other than that, there’s plenty of positives to take away from the game.

This idea that our coaching set-up is weak…where has that come from? It looks completely made up to me. No doubt some will be along to point to coaching badges blah blah but look at the strides that defence had made in the last two games. Look at some of the one touch interplay in tight positions or in and around the box to bring players into the game. Some of the runs and passes from midfield were excellent today. Can we be better? Absolutely. Will we get better? From here on in, we’re on the way up, no question.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Eight matches is a good part of a season on 19:22 - Sep 25 with 619 viewsMullet

Spot on. Ultimately this is a long ole way from good enough and time is marching on as the gap widens.

We've probably already lost out on automatic promotion which is our main objective this season. If we lose out on the top six it's time for more change isn't it?

There are far too many teams we've struggled against since Cook! (not Jewell) has been here, and nothing remotely like an identity. Everything has been about trying to make a wax rubbing of his Wigan team and their success into a work of art.

Today was the perfect opportunity to make a statement about so many things, once again we don't seem very sure of ourselves.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 19:45]

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Eight matches is a good part of a season on 20:14 - Sep 25 with 526 viewsLankHenners

First half I thought wasn't too bad really - given the way we fell apart against Bolton the set-up was working pretty well. Donacien naturally doesn't push up so much and Penney was quite controlled in when he went forwards, plus El-Miz and Carroll had greater defensive discipline than Evans and Harper have shown which helped prevent Wednesday from really troubling. Edmundson and Burgess looked a little more comfortable as well.

The Bonne chance was obviously golden and had that gone in and we kept up what we were doing it would've been a decent 'holding onto a lead' performance. The goal was annoying as we were unfortunate not to be given a free kick when Burns was spun to the floor just before El-Miz conceded the free kick which led to the volley. Great finish but at the time didn't seem like we were that quick to react before he swung his leg at it.

Maybe the players went out with the mindset to be more cautious because of what happened at Bolton but in the 2nd as you say we just didn't move the ball quickly enough or with enough purpose to really cause them problems. Celina I can understand drifting a bit given his pre-season consisted almost entirely of sitting around waiting to hear how bad his heart problem was but Fraser frustrates - no pace and whilst he's got a delicious pass on him he doesn't show it often enough and, like a few players, isn't quite on the same wavelength as all his teammates.

The one chance in the 2nd that we really should have scored from was Burgess' header - great position, got up to it but got the direction all wrong. Really pleased for Bonne at the end to make the equaliser as it was almost as if the occasion was a bit too big for him up to that point.

That performance and that game on the opening day and I think you could just about justify Cook's comments that there are signs of coming together but we're not there yet etc. but against the backdrop of a horrendous start bitty performances aren't going to cut it for barely any longer.

A win on Tuesday and you can say 7 from 9 against Lincoln, Sheff Wed and Doncaster is a pretty good return but it has to be a win. Doncaster really are having a torrid time and a great opportunity for Cook to show his team can convincingly put away a poor side.

I have some faith that Morsy will help settle things down in midfield and make us look a little better off the ball, and if you add Edwards to the attack we'll probably look a lot sharper going forwards but it's not good to be in the 'if this happens and if that goes our way' position this early in the season. Forget the teams at the top, there are a lot of mediocre teams that have handled this season far better than us so far and it'll be a great shame if Cook can't have us push through them over the next few weeks to get nearer where we want to be.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024