Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 14:36 - Sep 26 with 2082 viewscarlisleaway

Burgess and Edmundson can only pump the ball out of the back, the Wolf has more quality.
Need someone alongside Bonne, Celina was no where near him to support when Bonne was away on his own. Far to much space between the back 4 and midfield, cannot put my finger on it but our midfield does not work together. Missed Coulson with his cultured left foot.
Would love Cook to prove me wrong but he is missing a decent coach and cannot get the team selection or formation right
We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 14:52 - Sep 26 with 2003 viewsWD19

1 goal conceded in the past 2 games says a ‘cultured centre back’ is not our biggest priority right now.
We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 15:20 - Sep 26 with 1921 viewschrismakin

So much space that Sheffield wed barely hurt us and one of the leagues best players was quiet for 90 minutes.

Bonne scores his chances.. no negatives would be made up.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 16:04 - Sep 26 with 1822 viewsnodge_blue

It’s an urban myth that woolfenden is good on the ball. His mis placed passes are numerous. We look much better with current two.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 16:24 - Sep 26 with 1768 viewsjayessess

We were hardly working it through the middle when Woolfenden was in the side. I'm probably in a minority here in that I don't actually think there's that much to choose between the 3 of them defensively but I don't think a change of centre backs is going to have the effect you're looking for here.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 16:37 - Sep 26 with 1732 viewsstrikalite

Kind of agree, though I'm still not sold on playing out from the back, prone to being pressed and caught out at any time, if we're going to go down the "pump it" route then for me we go 3-5-2 or 4-4-2...

I actually think we'd do alright with 4-4-2, it's not as if the full backs still can't bomb on, it always used to work after all..
We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 16:46 - Sep 26 with 1710 viewsArnieM

Woolfie sadly is a liability . He reminds me so much of Titus Bramble. Has potential but always has a mistake in him that results in a goal against . Woolfie will be second string in my view .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 17:14 - Sep 26 with 1645 viewsIllinoisblue

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 16:46 - Sep 26 by ArnieM

Woolfie sadly is a liability . He reminds me so much of Titus Bramble. Has potential but always has a mistake in him that results in a goal against . Woolfie will be second string in my view .

The same Titus Bramble that played almost 300 premier league games?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 17:15 - Sep 26 with 1641 viewsreusersfreekicks

Nonsense on both counts
Login to get fewer ads

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 17:18 - Sep 26 with 1627 viewschrismakin

This post and others about Burgess is a prime example of people not understanding the level we are at.

IF we had players especially CBs that had 0 mistakes. Could pass. Clear. Head etc with no weaknesses.. then they wouldn't be playing for itfc.

Phil made a great point in the fraser post about the things he lacks. Like speed etc.. another example of if he did then again he'd be too good for itfc at this level.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 17:56 - Sep 26 with 1553 viewsHeadWestBlue

I am curious to see how long Woolfenden will be happy on the bench?

I am really curious to see what may happen in the next few transfer windows?

We have assembled a squad of players, I guess many came with the hope of being a regular starter?

It appears from the outside that anyone who had expressed a desire to move on, or did not want to be at the club at the end of last season was allowed to leave, in some cases it is suggested they may have even been shown the door?

Will Mr Cook remain true to his own principles, consistent in his approach if some of those who may not be starting come January or May ask for a move?

If a few do ask to leave, I guess our league position may influence the owners in their backing of Mr Cook for replacements or not.

If Mr Cook decides Burgess and Edmundson are the preferred starting pair that his his choice. He did spend a few quid recruiting them.

Woolfenden has a talent, is still young enough to be developed. Would be a shame to see him not given the opportunity for further development, in Ipswich or elsewhere if required.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2021 18:09]
We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 18:23 - Sep 26 with 1490 viewsGrumpy_Old_Man

The same Woolfie who after 5 games had the most completed passes of any player in League 1.
We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 18:40 - Sep 26 with 1458 viewsHeadWestBlue

I wonder if Woolfenden will come in for some flack for shaking hands, smiling and chatting with Richie Wellens on Tuesday. Just has he does when he meets Scott Twine who was also at Swindon.
We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 21:48 - Sep 26 with 1261 viewsArnieM

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 17:14 - Sep 26 by Illinoisblue

The same Titus Bramble that played almost 300 premier league games?

Yes , it’s amazing isn’t it. You look up his gaffs, there were plenty in a Town shirt and also in a Newcastle one. Its a mystery how he made a living at that level of the game .

There are several videos made of his gaffs ……I’d forgotten he’d played for Wigan actually… but these were the typical recurring gaffs that blighted his game

BUT, then he was capable of this …..

A truly great player on the one hand …but so frustrating on the other because of his unforced errors. He did it so many times.

Woolfie reminds me of him. Because he lacks concentration ( just like Bramble did). There’s a very player in there but the mistakes and unforced errors need to go ….
[Post edited 26 Sep 2021 22:10]

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 21:49 - Sep 26 with 1259 viewsArnieM

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 17:15 - Sep 26 by reusersfreekicks

Nonsense on both counts

Sorry , but it’s not .

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 21:52 - Sep 26 with 1251 viewsArnieM

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 18:23 - Sep 26 by Grumpy_Old_Man

The same Woolfie who after 5 games had the most completed passes of any player in League 1.

And was responsible for how many goals by giving the ball away when not under any particular pressure. Some people’s memories on here are astounding!

IF Woolfie was so solid and reliable do you not think he’d still be in the back four ?

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 21:56 - Sep 26 with 1224 viewsElderGrizzly

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 14:52 - Sep 26 by WD19

1 goal conceded in the past 2 games says a ‘cultured centre back’ is not our biggest priority right now.

Burgess is starting to remind me of Berra. Can’t pass for toffee, but will defend for his life

Much needed
We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 21:57 - Sep 26 with 1226 viewsitfcjoe

Burgess is a very solid defender, but can’t say I’ve seen anything from Edmundson to suggest he should be playing ahead of Woolf as yet.

Burgess’ passing yesterday was really poor - he made 2 major errors, which in fairness he did recover - but we really missed having a CB who can pick a pass and comfortably step into midfield with the ball in a game like yesterday.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 22:01 - Sep 26 with 1201 viewsjayessess

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 21:52 - Sep 26 by ArnieM

And was responsible for how many goals by giving the ball away when not under any particular pressure. Some people’s memories on here are astounding!

IF Woolfie was so solid and reliable do you not think he’d still be in the back four ?

The answer to your question is 1, so it's probably your memory you should be worrying about if anything.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2021 22:03]

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 22:17 - Sep 26 with 1143 viewsArnieM

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 22:01 - Sep 26 by jayessess

The answer to your question is 1, so it's probably your memory you should be worrying about if anything.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2021 22:03]

I think there has been 2 games this season out of the 6 he’s played where he was responsible for a goal being conceded when he’s lacked concentration, and given the ball away cheaply, or made a poor tackle. Morecambe and MKDons

Trust me I take no delight in saying this of him or Bramble. They are players that I wish would come good ( as I did in Brambles day), but they just seem to have a self destruct button. I’m a die hard Town fan like many on here, and have been going home and away to watch them for over 50 years, and having seen many players either come through the ranks or joined us, I’d like to think I can see and appreciate a player’ s attributes as well as his Achilles heel. It’s not a crime to recognise both sides of the coin.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2021 22:36]

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 22:57 - Sep 26 with 1082 viewssouthnorfolkblue

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 18:23 - Sep 26 by Grumpy_Old_Man

That’s just a nonsense stat, because completed passes in isolation means diddly squat. They could all be back passes to the keeper but still count as completed passes. He isn’t as good a defender as the 2 currently holding down those positions

Poll: Our final position

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 09:03 - Sep 27 with 854 viewsjayessess

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 22:17 - Sep 26 by ArnieM

I think there has been 2 games this season out of the 6 he’s played where he was responsible for a goal being conceded when he’s lacked concentration, and given the ball away cheaply, or made a poor tackle. Morecambe and MKDons

Trust me I take no delight in saying this of him or Bramble. They are players that I wish would come good ( as I did in Brambles day), but they just seem to have a self destruct button. I’m a die hard Town fan like many on here, and have been going home and away to watch them for over 50 years, and having seen many players either come through the ranks or joined us, I’d like to think I can see and appreciate a player’ s attributes as well as his Achilles heel. It’s not a crime to recognise both sides of the coin.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2021 22:36]

Specifically you said "giving the ball away under no pressure", which happened once (you could also argue that Penney's pass actually did put him under a fair amount of pressure).

Against MK Dons he missed an interception and committed a foul in recovering. It was built up by some as this massive error because at the time all our defence's woes were being laid at Woolfenden's door. In reality it's a very minor error, the likes of which even very good centre backs make fairly regularly. If the only mistake you make in 90 minutes as a centre back is giving away one free kick then you've had an excellent game.

I don't think you're taking delight in it, per se. I think as soon as our young players hit 15 games or so with the first team some Town fans, not just yourself, are very keen to criticise our young players for their flaws. Much keener to criticise than support in fact. I don't really understand it to be honest.

As for the Bramble stuff. Well, he was a mainstay in the best Ipswich team of my lifetime, then played 11 mostly successful seasons in the Premier League. If you asked a knowledgeable neutral, they'd definitely tell you he was easily the best defender to play for us since the Bobby years. The only Ipswich defender to have a better career than Titus Bramble in the 21st Century is Tyrone Mings. So, yeah, I don't get what the standard you're applying is.

We desperately need Woolfenden in the back 4 on 09:30 - Sep 27 with 786 viewshype313

Missed Coulson? I thought Penney was one of our better players on Saturday, at least he has the desire to want to go forward.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024