Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end 16:42 - Sep 26 with 4098 viewsunstableblue

Away fans turned on him yesterday at Blackburn, disappeared down tunnel and didn’t address it, players went and faced music

Poll on message boards has 75% want him gone

To be fair to Mick they’ve not had funds… but as many of their fans state Mark Robbins has less at Coventry and is playing lovely football and being successful

They should have used Mick as a stop gap to solidify as we should have done - and not feck up his replacement

Shame because Mick is a nice guy, but his style of football does not and can not garner comprehensive fan support, simples

See below exchange, sound familiar

Thought this news would interest as he’s our former manager, hopefully those who repeatedly post misty eyed calls for his return might think again

Escott1927↓
Re: Mick McCarthy: 'Maybe teams have worked us out'
Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:58 am
Do something different then you numpty. We are the most predictable and one dimensional team in the EFL.
nojac↓
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:08 am
Long ball to KM , if that doesnt work . Next time try a long ball to KM , and if that doesnt work, try a long ball to KM !!!
Blueberry Jam↓
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:28 am
nojac wrote:
Long ball to KM , if that doesnt work . Next time try a long ball to KM , and if that doesnt work, try a long ball to KM !!!

Totally agree. A 5 year old could work out our game plan. Lump it, Lump it, lump it.
MM if you cant get a team to play football then give up and piss off.
Crayfish↓
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:35 am
Blueberry Jam wrote:
nojac wrote:

Totally agree. A 5 year old could work out our game plan. Lump it, Lump it, lump it.
MM if you cant get a team to play football then give up and piss off.

Not hard to work out our defence either. Instruct your team not to bother with any high crosses into the box which our big lumbering defenders will head out all day but get some pacy players to go past hem and behind them and it's job done.

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 16:47 - Sep 26 with 3313 viewsSteve_M

This is like one of DK's digs at Starmer, and about as interesting.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 16:49 - Sep 26 with 3292 viewsArnieM

That didn’t take long then …..

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 16:51 - Sep 26 with 3279 viewsTractorCam

Have we not moved on yet?

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 16:53 - Sep 26 with 3257 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I believe we now have more threads on MM and the pressure he is under in the past 2 days than there are about Cook.

That is MM of Cardiff comfortably mid-table in the Championship. As opposed to Paul Cook of Ipswich in the relegation zone of League 1.

Your and at least 2 others' obsession with Mick is remarkable. I do hope we soon get back to the same level of success as he brought us so that it might begin to ease.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 16:57 - Sep 26 with 3218 viewsDarth_Koont

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 16:47 - Sep 26 by Steve_M

Gmpf.

Well said, Keir.

Pronouns: He/Him

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 16:58 - Sep 26 with 3207 viewschrismakin

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 16:53 - Sep 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

I believe we now have more threads on MM and the pressure he is under in the past 2 days than there are about Cook.

That is MM of Cardiff comfortably mid-table in the Championship. As opposed to Paul Cook of Ipswich in the relegation zone of League 1.

Your and at least 2 others' obsession with Mick is remarkable. I do hope we soon get back to the same level of success as he brought us so that it might begin to ease.

I prefer 20k attendances over 9k tho. Regardless of league. Makes it more enjoyable.

You mention obsession. But there's an unhealthy obsession that everything was great under mick when it clearly wasn't.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Think Nuno won’t be far behind him based on this showing (n/t) on 16:59 - Sep 26 with 3190 viewsunstableblue

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:02 - Sep 26 with 3162 viewsDarth_Koont

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 16:58 - Sep 26 by chrismakin

I prefer 20k attendances over 9k tho. Regardless of league. Makes it more enjoyable.

You mention obsession. But there's an unhealthy obsession that everything was great under mick when it clearly wasn't.

I was a big fan of Mick and never said that – or even thought it. Can’t remember anyone else arguing that either.

There was always scope for improvement – points and performances. But there was a clear context of what he was having to deal with while making us competitive too.

I’d already built BCWYWF into my thinking beforehand so knew it wasn’t as simple as just getting a new manager in.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:03 - Sep 26 with 3159 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 16:58 - Sep 26 by chrismakin

I never said it was. It was clear he had to go when he did and a lot of that was down to him as well.

However, if he had been backed as Keane was or as Cook is, we would not be getting 9K in the Championship under him. He would have had us in the Premier League and the fans would have been attending and generally enjoying the football. Yes, we would be moaning about setting up defensively against Burnley, Norwich and Brighton. We would be wishing we could play Newcastle off the park instead of grinding out a workmanlike 1-0 win. But I think it is only the younger generation that is really preferring where we are.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

A former manager of Ipswich town… on 17:04 - Sep 26 with 3148 viewsunstableblue

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 16:47 - Sep 26 by Steve_M

…. is experiencing and repeating the same scenario as he had at this club, which was probably one of the hottest debates in our recent history

A significant poll of Cardiff fans have 75% calling for his exit, and their fans turned on him at a game

Sort of worth reporting?

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:13 - Sep 26 with 3069 viewsbazza

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:03 - Sep 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

I never said it was. It was clear he had to go when he did and a lot of that was down to him as well.

However, if he had been backed as Keane was or as Cook is, we would not be getting 9K in the Championship under him. He would have had us in the Premier League and the fans would have been attending and generally enjoying the football. Yes, we would be moaning about setting up defensively against Burnley, Norwich and Brighton. We would be wishing we could play Newcastle off the park instead of grinding out a workmanlike 1-0 win. But I think it is only the younger generation that is really preferring where we are.

And when I click my fingers… you’ll be back in the room.
Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:18 - Sep 26 with 3039 viewsbazza

I was a mick fan.. but to be fair we had a decent squad .. he never got us up. And the football and the relationship with the fans dropped off a cliff.. the rest is history.
Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:25 - Sep 26 with 2997 viewsChurchman

I never liked MMs way of playing before he came to ITFC or when he came to us. I didn’t like his attitude or what he did at the end of his time here - in spite of appalling provocation. His teams became ever more grindingly negative and he became increasingly annoying. His way is not the only way to get out of the Championship, as many teams have proved. It was a huge relief when he went. The mugs that followed doesn’t change that.

However Mick is good at what he does and has achieved promotions with it. He would have done so here too if Evans had given him a morsel of support. He achieved a miracle in saving us from relegation and in getting to the play offs with the players he had. He will always have my respect for that. He commanded the respect of his players too and you never saw them give up like they’ve done under so many of our ‘managers’ in the last 14 years.

MM is by no means the best manager we ever had, but he’s by no means the worst. But he is history and we move on.
Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:36 - Sep 26 with 2903 viewspatrickswell

I get misty eyed about how to turn around a poor run of results in the middle of the Championship as opposed to nowadays when it's how to turn around bad results in the bottom four of League One, a cul-de-sac we've arrived at via wondering how to turn around bad results in both the bottom 4 of the Championship and mid table in League One.

Of course the million dollar question in relation to managerial fortunes at this club, is what advice did Leam Richardson give to Cook when we played Pompey in the FA Cup in 2016, and why doesn't Cook remember any of it.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2021 17:38]
Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:42 - Sep 26 with 2870 viewsjayessess

One thing that really struck me listening to Alan Lee's Blue Monday interview was his absolute insistence that McCarthy's style of football was the only reasonable way that a team with Ipswich's resources could set up. Over and over again he argued it was delusional that a team like ours "could play it out from the back".

This absolute conviction that the way to play with less resources, to out-perform your budget was always safety first and direct. It certainly turned out to be true for Ipswich but I did wonder if such an attitude ultimately leaves you very little room to manoeuvre as a manager, either in terms of changing tactics or in keeping the supporters onside during the inevitable bad patches...
[Post edited 26 Sep 2021 17:45]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:45 - Sep 26 with 2826 viewsronnyd

Your quote,"He would have had us in the Premier League". That is something that we will never ever know.
Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:50 - Sep 26 with 2791 viewsunstableblue

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:25 - Sep 26 by Churchman

I never liked MMs way of playing before he came to ITFC or when he came to us. I didn’t like his attitude or what he did at the end of his time here - in spite of appalling provocation. His teams became ever more grindingly negative and he became increasingly annoying. His way is not the only way to get out of the Championship, as many teams have proved. It was a huge relief when he went. The mugs that followed doesn’t change that.

However Mick is good at what he does and has achieved promotions with it. He would have done so here too if Evans had given him a morsel of support. He achieved a miracle in saving us from relegation and in getting to the play offs with the players he had. He will always have my respect for that. He commanded the respect of his players too and you never saw them give up like they’ve done under so many of our ‘managers’ in the last 14 years.

MM is by no means the best manager we ever had, but he’s by no means the worst. But he is history and we move on.

Good post, agree wit most of that

Although any manager would look good compared to Jewel, Hurst and Lambert

Just one of order, Mick was offered fund to strengthen from Marcus, I believe in the play off January, but felt he didn’t want to upset the squad

Let’s hope Cook proves to be the real deal, and a win Tuesday creates a run, plating attractive football

You have to agree though that in this day and age, no fans would accept micks brand of football for more than a season. We should have solidified with mick, then gone and got Mark Robbins. Period

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:58 - Sep 26 with 2731 viewsunstableblue

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:42 - Sep 26 by jayessess

One thing that really struck me listening to Alan Lee's Blue Monday interview was his absolute insistence that McCarthy's style of football was the only reasonable way that a team with Ipswich's resources could set up. Over and over again he argued it was delusional that a team like ours "could play it out from the back".

This absolute conviction that the way to play with less resources, to out-perform your budget was always safety first and direct. It certainly turned out to be true for Ipswich but I did wonder if such an attitude ultimately leaves you very little room to manoeuvre as a manager, either in terms of changing tactics or in keeping the supporters onside during the inevitable bad patches...

I’ll say it again Mark Robbins proves that this argument is incorrect, one of the lowest squad values in championship (miles behind Coventry), yet third.. they showed how to play on their last visit

But the key point is that fans don’t want to watch pragmatism, why pay for that? As the Cardiff fans state no one wants to watch a team with 8 defensive players,

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 18:06 - Sep 26 with 2670 viewsunstableblue

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:36 - Sep 26 by patrickswell

I get misty eyed about how to turn around a poor run of results in the middle of the Championship as opposed to nowadays when it's how to turn around bad results in the bottom four of League One, a cul-de-sac we've arrived at via wondering how to turn around bad results in both the bottom 4 of the Championship and mid table in League One.

Of course the million dollar question in relation to managerial fortunes at this club, is what advice did Leam Richardson give to Cook when we played Pompey in the FA Cup in 2016, and why doesn't Cook remember any of it.
[Post edited 26 Sep 2021 17:38]

Tuesday is a huge night and game for Cook

A win and a good performance and we’ll feel we are making progress

Some positives that Cook seems to have tightened the team in the last few games

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 18:11 - Sep 26 with 2624 viewsjayessess

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:58 - Sep 26 by unstableblue

I’ll say it again Mark Robbins proves that this argument is incorrect, one of the lowest squad values in championship (miles behind Coventry), yet third.. they showed how to play on their last visit

But the key point is that fans don’t want to watch pragmatism, why pay for that? As the Cardiff fans state no one wants to watch a team with 8 defensive players,

I've never been 100% convinced that the more defensive and more direct you are, the more you out-perform your budget. It's probably true that defensive shape is the quickest thing you can drill into a group of players who aren't currently functional as a group.

In terms of pragmatism, well, playing style is never going to paper over truly bad results or ruin truly good ones. When your results are somewhere in between it'll cost you (as it is McCarthy at the moment).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 18:16 - Sep 26 with 2588 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:42 - Sep 26 by jayessess

I'm not sure anyone was ever calling for Micks team to play it out from the back.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 18:19 - Sep 26 with 2558 viewsbazza

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 18:06 - Sep 26 by unstableblue

Tuesday is a huge night and game for Cook

A win and a good performance and we’ll feel we are making progress

Some positives that Cook seems to have tightened the team in the last few games

And With morsy starting, he’s got no excuses.. the results have got to start coming now.
Probably would have been better off… on 18:22 - Sep 26 with 2527 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 17:50 - Sep 26 by unstableblue

Good post, agree wit most of that

Although any manager would look good compared to Jewel, Hurst and Lambert

Just one of order, Mick was offered fund to strengthen from Marcus, I believe in the play off January, but felt he didn’t want to upset the squad

Let’s hope Cook proves to be the real deal, and a win Tuesday creates a run, plating attractive football

You have to agree though that in this day and age, no fans would accept micks brand of football for more than a season. We should have solidified with mick, then gone and got Mark Robbins. Period

…appointing a manager that actually exists

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 18:23 - Sep 26 with 2520 viewsbazza

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 18:16 - Sep 26 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'm not sure anyone was ever calling for Micks team to play it out from the back.

On the floor maybe..
Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 18:31 - Sep 26 with 2451 viewsKeaneish

Micks time at Cardiff coming to an end on 16:53 - Sep 26 by Nthsuffolkblue

Your definition of success is very abstract.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024