Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... 09:50 - Sep 27 with 5869 viewsitfcjoe

.....as we approach the end of the second month of the season, there seems to be little pressure applied to the club at the moment.

For me tomorrow is an absolute must-win game, if we go into October with just one win under our belt and in the relegation zone then we are basically out of automatic contention, and the play offs will be a massive stretch.

On the flip side, if we win, which we undoubtedly should do, then it's 7 points out of 9 and things feel a bit more positive - we need to start stringing proper runs of wins together though or we are going nowhere

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 09:52 - Sep 27 with 3459 viewsSomethingBlue

Think the pressure will start ratcheting up from all quarters if we fall short tomorrow — the excuses will be very limited. Could and should be a very good chance of three wins from Donny, Accrington, Shrews ... and then things would look considerably different.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 09:55 - Sep 27 with 3434 viewschicoazul

I think they have already decided this season is a free hit for Cook. And that might not be unreasonable either.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 09:57 - Sep 27 with 3391 viewsabracaDOBRA_

if we win tomorrow that's 7 points after our 5-2 defeat. You'd think that's the start of a good run. We have a game in hand on some around us as well
Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 09:57 - Sep 27 with 3397 viewsHerbivore

I think people are waiting and seeing what happens tomorrow. Most of us said we needed 7 points from September as a minimum and a win tomorrow gives us that. We've had two better performances in the last couple of games defensively whilst still creating some decent opportunities. We're still a way off where we need to be and we need to hit promotion form fairly soon if we're going to have a real tilt at going up, but the last two games have probably eased the pressure a touch.

That will rightly change if we fail to win tomorrow. That would be a shade over a quarter of our home games completed and no wins to show for it. We'd need to win virtually all of our remaining 17 home games to end up with a promotion worthy home record and that's a big ask. There can be no more excuses now, we're not far off a quarter of the season gone and it's time we started stringing results together.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 09:59 - Sep 27 with 3365 viewsNthsuffolkblue

A few people seem more concerned to apply pressure on MM for having Cardiff mid-table in the Championship.

If we can get a win (or preferably two) from the next two games, it is a small foundation on which to build. However, we will need to build on it fast. We would need to be getting at least 10 points from the next block of 5 matches for me. We have put ourselves in a position where we need to average significantly above 2 points per game.

November's set of five matches look more challenging than October's as well.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:04 - Sep 27 with 3315 viewsITFCBlues

What would sacking a manager at this stage achieve though? We're showing signs of improvement after a rough start.

Bringing in a new manager means a complete fresh start again.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:06 - Sep 27 with 3300 viewsJakeITFC

I've barely watched us this season (Saturday was my first game back at PR since the opener) but thought we looked quite good against Wednesday.

I think it's right to be worried that we don't have many points but I can seriously see this squad of players going on long winning runs at this level, and quite quickly. Tomorrow would be a good time to start.
Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:10 - Sep 27 with 3224 viewsnodge_blue

In the context of whether we can mount a promotion push this year I think the Doncaster game is a must win. We've gone on too long now without a home win and theres plenty tougher ones to come.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

Login to get fewer ads

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:11 - Sep 27 with 3206 viewsWD19

7 out of 9 points would make you feel "a bit more positive"!?

I make Herbs spot on. Tomorrow is clearly very important and the fact that Morsy will undoubtedly play could go either way.
Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:14 - Sep 27 with 3166 viewsjayessess

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:04 - Sep 27 by ITFCBlues

What would sacking a manager at this stage achieve though? We're showing signs of improvement after a rough start.

I don't think Cook will get sacked imminently, even if we lose badly to Doncaster. But sat in the relegation zone of League One, we'd have arguably the worst performing manager in the EFL relative to budget, so it's pretty obvious what sacking the manager would achieve.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:16 - Sep 27 with 3129 viewsGuthrum

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 09:57 - Sep 27 by Herbivore

I think people are waiting and seeing what happens tomorrow. Most of us said we needed 7 points from September as a minimum and a win tomorrow gives us that. We've had two better performances in the last couple of games defensively whilst still creating some decent opportunities. We're still a way off where we need to be and we need to hit promotion form fairly soon if we're going to have a real tilt at going up, but the last two games have probably eased the pressure a touch.

That will rightly change if we fail to win tomorrow. That would be a shade over a quarter of our home games completed and no wins to show for it. We'd need to win virtually all of our remaining 17 home games to end up with a promotion worthy home record and that's a big ask. There can be no more excuses now, we're not far off a quarter of the season gone and it's time we started stringing results together.

I don't think it's quite as stiff a task as your second paragraph implies (unless we lose nearly all our away games). We need about 80 points from the remaining 120 to make the automatic places and 65 should see us in the play-offs.

23 wins and 11 draws from our remaining 18 home and 20 away games will do it. Sure, we can't afford to lose many, but draws are not disastrous.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:17 - Sep 27 with 3098 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:04 - Sep 27 by ITFCBlues

We are starting to show signs but how slowly do you want them to improve? It will be awful if we don't win tomorrow and Cook should rightly be under pressure after getting away lightly for the past few months. We have to go up this year.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:20 - Sep 27 with 3062 viewsLankHenners

Thought Mick Mills was a bit too grumpy about the performance after the game Saturday but a couple of things he was spot on about - a) if we don't hit a serious winning streak starting tomorrow then we can forget about automatics, and b) for all people can point to a new squad, lots of change, needing time etc., there is a helluva lot of mediocrity in this division that has made a better job of the season so far than we have.

Defensively we handled Wednesday better than we have other teams (Bolton most glaringly) which I haven't quite worked out whether that was simply down to personnel (Donacien naturally more defensive minded, and a better defender than, KVY; Burgess/Edmundson a bit more settled; El-Miz/Carroll more cautious off the ball than Evans/Harper) or a deliberate coaching strategy but either way hopefully that calms us down a little bit and we can remain fairly solid and let the attacking talent do what it can do well.

I don't buy Cook's words that he's the magic key that will solve everything but I'm sure Morsy will help us out a lot off the ball plus adding Edwards back in boosts our attacking quality. Not convinced Cook himself truly knows his best combinations/partnerships yet but he needs to work it out PDQ or the season will really start to drift and even the section of the fanbase which appears to have watched this season blindfolded will get restless.

A nice juicy 3-0 tomorrow will make everyone feel a lot better and even if that's optimistic we really should be putting a team struggling as much as Doncaster away comfortably.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:20 - Sep 27 with 3044 viewsitfcjoe

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 09:57 - Sep 27 by Herbivore

Tomorrow does feel an absolutely pivotal game as things stand -just zero excuses if we don't win it.

If we don't win then we are, and Cook especially is, bang in trouble.

Donny have only scored 4 goals this season, a nice convincing win would be just the tonic

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:23 - Sep 27 with 2992 viewsHerbivore

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:16 - Sep 27 by Guthrum

I don't think it's quite as stiff a task as your second paragraph implies (unless we lose nearly all our away games). We need about 80 points from the remaining 120 to make the automatic places and 65 should see us in the play-offs.

23 wins and 11 draws from our remaining 18 home and 20 away games will do it. Sure, we can't afford to lose many, but draws are not disastrous.

Hull and Peterborough won 27 and 26 games last season to go up automatically and neither broke the 90 point marker. If we fail to win tomorrow we likely need another 25 wins and you'd think the majority of those will need to come at PR given that most sides wind up getting the majority of their points from their home games. It would leave very little margin for error at home, we could probably only afford to drop points in another 3 or 4 games at PR over the rest of the season and some of those would need to be draws. I think in that context taking 3 points tomorrow against a bang out of form Doncaster is imperative.

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:26 - Sep 27 with 2937 viewsunstableblue

Firstly agree tomorrow is a MUST win, and in itself we’ve created that pressure of the indifferent form to date. The players will feel that, as will the fans and the manager. But it’s time for Ipswich town to FINALLY step up and win and important game. I was speaking to a blue mate yesterday and we’ve lost count of the amount of must win games squandered in recent years, if not the decade.

As to your valid point about a lack of pressure and criticism of the manager and players given the league position - I think the Bolton game was extremely worrying, if we hadn’t followed that up with the Lincoln win and clean sheet, then the noise and calls for change may have got a lot louder. We followed that with keeping a good quality Sheff Weds side to minimal chances and we created easily enough to win the game.

That’s why the fans are continuing in the main to support. They are seeing signs of progress.

The defence seems to have solidified. The front 4 options and their interplay is exciting (albeit Celina and Burns had apparent off days).

Now with Morsy the central midfield should strengthen.

Draw and lose tomorrow, an lad the same Saturday and the fan base - the majority of it - will change stance I’m sure.

The silence from the American backers is also deafening. If we were top 6 and winning and sure they would be all over social media

Anyway - exciting match under the lights, players and system need to click - need the front 4 on fire

COYB

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:27 - Sep 27 with 2914 viewshype313

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:20 - Sep 27 by itfcjoe

Tomorrow does feel an absolutely pivotal game as things stand -just zero excuses if we don't win it.

Donny have only scored 4 goals this season, a nice convincing win would be just the tonic

Tomorrow is must win for me, we need to put a marker down, if we can't beat Donny at home given their record then we have big problems.

However, I'm in no doubt we will win, and a big one at that.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:28 - Sep 27 with 2908 viewsGuthrum

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:20 - Sep 27 by itfcjoe

This season, teams have to score at least twice in the game to beat us. The fact they have done so on three occasions in the League shouldn't mask the fact we are now scoring 1.5 goals per game, which gives us an inherent advantage over low-scoring opposition.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:30 - Sep 27 with 2878 viewsabracaDOBRA_

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:23 - Sep 27 by Herbivore

Hull and Peterborough won 27 and 26 games last season to go up automatically and neither broke the 90 point marker. If we fail to win tomorrow we likely need another 25 wins and you'd think the majority of those will need to come at PR given that most sides wind up getting the majority of their points from their home games. It would leave very little margin for error at home, we could probably only afford to drop points in another 3 or 4 games at PR over the rest of the season and some of those would need to be draws. I think in that context taking 3 points tomorrow against a bang out of form Doncaster is imperative.

I always go back to the fact we were top, on however many wins for the last two seasons and finished mid table. no reason that doesnt happen to other teams, and we still have to play wigan, sunderland etc
Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:31 - Sep 27 with 2842 viewsunstableblue

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:20 - Sep 27 by LankHenners

Thought Mick Mills was a bit too grumpy about the performance after the game Saturday but a couple of things he was spot on about - a) if we don't hit a serious winning streak starting tomorrow then we can forget about automatics, and b) for all people can point to a new squad, lots of change, needing time etc., there is a helluva lot of mediocrity in this division that has made a better job of the season so far than we have.

Defensively we handled Wednesday better than we have other teams (Bolton most glaringly) which I haven't quite worked out whether that was simply down to personnel (Donacien naturally more defensive minded, and a better defender than, KVY; Burgess/Edmundson a bit more settled; El-Miz/Carroll more cautious off the ball than Evans/Harper) or a deliberate coaching strategy but either way hopefully that calms us down a little bit and we can remain fairly solid and let the attacking talent do what it can do well.

I don't buy Cook's words that he's the magic key that will solve everything but I'm sure Morsy will help us out a lot off the ball plus adding Edwards back in boosts our attacking quality. Not convinced Cook himself truly knows his best combinations/partnerships yet but he needs to work it out PDQ or the season will really start to drift and even the section of the fanbase which appears to have watched this season blindfolded will get restless.

A nice juicy 3-0 tomorrow will make everyone feel a lot better and even if that's optimistic we really should be putting a team struggling as much as Doncaster away comfortably.

It was interesting going on the Wednesday message boards… they are basically berating their manager for stating they played well and were in control bar the error.

Whereas the fans call out how few chances they made and that we had enough really good ones to win the game

The improved defensive shape after Bolton is a key point…. That was a disaster, but some Cook system tweaks, the replacement of the hapless KVY with Donacien and the settling CB partnership seem to have resolved.

Which is a positive to take

Hopefully Morsy can strengthen further also get the ball from the centre backs and drive our passing forward

3-0 would be nice….. 3 points the only focus.. would love a clean sheet

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:36 - Sep 27 with 2779 viewsHerbivore

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:30 - Sep 27 by abracaDOBRA_

I always go back to the fact we were top, on however many wins for the last two seasons and finished mid table. no reason that doesnt happen to other teams, and we still have to play wigan, sunderland etc

Sure but over the season the number of wins you need to go up automatically is relatively consistent, irrespective of whether those teams have started well (which mostly they have). It's usually somewhere between 24 and 29 wins for automatic promotion.

We currently have only one win, should we fail to win tomorrow we'd have 17 home games left and would need to win a lot of them to have a chance of going up, unless we're banking on a miraculous away record to take us up. Each game that passes without a win makes promotion less likely given our poor start. At the start of the season we needed to be aiming to win a shade over half our matches to be right in the mix, we're now looking at more like two thirds.

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:37 - Sep 27 with 2791 viewsFixed_It

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:20 - Sep 27 by LankHenners

Not sure who you are referring to by 'even the section of the fanbase which appears to have watched this season blindfolded will get restless'. Is that the section of the crowd who can see promising attacking moves that don't quite come off yet, or the section of the crowd who were expecting everything to click straight away despite the massive overhaul within the squad?
Yes - we need to start winning games and climbing up the up the table sooner rather than later. But only a blind man would fail to see that there are promising signs in a lot of what we do, and hopefully the results will start to reflect that.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:41 - Sep 27 with 2712 viewsHerbivore

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:37 - Sep 27 by Fixed_It

Not sure who you are referring to by 'even the section of the fanbase which appears to have watched this season blindfolded will get restless'. Is that the section of the crowd who can see promising attacking moves that don't quite come off yet, or the section of the crowd who were expecting everything to click straight away despite the massive overhaul within the squad?
Yes - we need to start winning games and climbing up the up the table sooner rather than later. But only a blind man would fail to see that there are promising signs in a lot of what we do, and hopefully the results will start to reflect that.

There are promising signs but there's also been plenty of worrying signs. Some only see one set of signs, on both sides of the argument in fairness.

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:53 - Sep 27 with 2596 viewsBlueBadger

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 09:55 - Sep 27 by chicoazul

I think they have already decided this season is a free hit for Cook. And that might not be unreasonable either.

Christ alive, I am sick to the back teeth of 'free hits'. 'Free hits' is what got us marooned in the third division in the first bloody place.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Seems incredible that as we sit in the bottom 4 of League 1.... on 10:55 - Sep 27 with 2572 viewsSamWhiteUK

Exactly. Not sure what sort of pressure Joe is talking about. As a set of fans, at the end of the day, we can't actually do anything.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024