Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out 07:49 - Oct 1 with 6273 viewsDanTheMan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58755062

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 08:35 - Oct 1 with 2864 viewsKeaneish

It’s the most ridiculous idea ever proposed - it’ll kill the game. I know there was a thread some time back about this and a few were in favour of it. I can’t see how the game would ever be the same if it were introduced.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 08:46 - Oct 1 with 2827 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

People have the freedom to pursue a career in football, where heading is a key component.

If they are armed with the facts before they begin, they have the option to continue or look for another form of employment.

Just like people complaining about low wages. You knew the wage structure before you started out, so why get there and then start moaning.
Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 08:47 - Oct 1 with 2826 viewsStuartBrett8

Modern footballs are so much lighter than the medicine balls used in the 60's, surely it isn't an issue?

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 08:51 - Oct 1 with 2799 viewsBluefields

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 08:47 - Oct 1 by StuartBrett8

Modern footballs are so much lighter than the medicine balls used in the 60's, surely it isn't an issue?

Lighter but they now move a lot quicker apparently.
Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 08:54 - Oct 1 with 2786 viewstownblue

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 08:47 - Oct 1 by StuartBrett8

I saw someone respond to this by saying would you prefer a brick dropped on your foot or half a brick thrown at it at twice the speed.

I haven't decided if it's a useful argument but I found it interesting.
Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 08:54 - Oct 1 with 2796 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

It's a difficult one I guess, I can understand the concerns, especially from the generation. But should we be banning heading based on practices from 30-50 years ago?

With heading banned at younger ages (when significant damage could have been done), lighter football's, and probably less heading anyway, it seems an over reaction to ban football.

Maybe easier to ban Mick McCarthy from managing? That could solve the issue for some.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 08:55 - Oct 1 with 2769 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 08:54 - Oct 1 by townblue

I saw someone respond to this by saying would you prefer a brick dropped on your foot or half a brick thrown at it at twice the speed.

I haven't decided if it's a useful argument but I found it interesting.

Probably pretty inaccurate too.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 09:01 - Oct 1 with 2727 viewsbluelagos

Clashing of heads is independent of the ball weight, comes 99% of the time from challenging for headers, and will clearly potentially play a part in the dementia seen by so many ex pros.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Login to get fewer ads

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 09:02 - Oct 1 with 2727 viewsmonty_radio

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 08:35 - Oct 1 by Keaneish

It’s the most ridiculous idea ever proposed - it’ll kill the game. I know there was a thread some time back about this and a few were in favour of it. I can’t see how the game would ever be the same if it were introduced.

As the Bard said, "there is a tide in the affairs of men", and I think it's only going to flow one way. The shape of the game ought to offer compromises such as that there's no heading outside the penalty area, but compromise, especially in the online 21st century, gets washed away by those overwhelming tides.
[Post edited 1 Oct 2021 9:33]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 09:03 - Oct 1 with 2724 viewsEwan_Oozami

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 09:01 - Oct 1 by bluelagos

Clashing of heads is independent of the ball weight, comes 99% of the time from challenging for headers, and will clearly potentially play a part in the dementia seen by so many ex pros.

Yep, agree, you see far more incidents of concussion from head clashes than heading a ball...

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 09:06 - Oct 1 with 2701 viewsStuartBrett8

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 09:01 - Oct 1 by bluelagos

Everyone could wear a Petr Cech hat
[Post edited 1 Oct 2021 9:07]

Stop the world, I want to get off
Poll: What should we do with Frank Nouble?

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 09:24 - Oct 1 with 2636 viewsNthQldITFC

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 09:06 - Oct 1 by StuartBrett8

Everyone could wear a Petr Cech hat
[Post edited 1 Oct 2021 9:07]

Why not though? Sartorial inelegance or affront to the manhood? Both irrelevant surely?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 09:25 - Oct 1 with 2637 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Thing is it's already killing former players of the game. The evidence seems pretty incontrovertible at this point.

The rules of football have changed considerably over the years, after all rugby and football were once the same sport. I don't see any reason it can't change again.

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 09:29 - Oct 1 with 2611 viewsClapham_Junction

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 08:46 - Oct 1 by BlueBlueBluex2

People have the freedom to pursue a career in football, where heading is a key component.

If they are armed with the facts before they begin, they have the option to continue or look for another form of employment.

Just like people complaining about low wages. You knew the wage structure before you started out, so why get there and then start moaning.

That's not how it works. If there is a known issue, it's up to the employer or responsible body to eliminate or mitigate that risk as far as possible — which is quite easily possible here via a change in the rules. They can't just say to employees - yes, there's a risk of this happening, but by taking the job, you're accepting this risk, otherwise employers would be free to do nothing about a whole range of H&S issues.

By not taking sufficient action about a known issue, they're leaving themselves wide open to legal action.
Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 09:41 - Oct 1 with 2549 viewspositivity

it won't be the same, but it wasn't the same after offsides/pass-backs/multiple subs/var etc etc etc.

it needs more research and pilots before any conclusions are reached.

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 09:58 - Oct 1 with 2483 viewsKeaneish

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 09:25 - Oct 1 by Charlie_pl_baxter

Thing is it's already killing former players of the game. The evidence seems pretty incontrovertible at this point.

The rules of football have changed considerably over the years, after all rugby and football were once the same sport. I don't see any reason it can't change again.

The game as it exists brings joy to billions of people. The only purpose this would serve would be to prolong the lives of elderly men and women by a few years to ease the suffering on a minority of families who have invested their lives in the game they love which brings said joy.

Of course it’s sad but Wilson, the Charlton’s and Peter’s who are probably the most high-profile cases were elderly men from a different generation.

Personally, I’m in favour of raising awareness and advancing technology rather than changing the fundamentals.

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 10:08 - Oct 1 with 2464 viewsitfcjoe

Anyone who doesn’t think this will ultimately happen just can’t read the room - it’s nailed on and in the future people will not be able to believe we used to head it
[Post edited 1 Oct 2021 10:35]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 10:15 - Oct 1 with 2415 viewsIpswichKnight

Allow for concussion protocol substitutions like in Rugby and I think that would be a very good start. Also in the pro league an independent Dr would make the decision as to whether a player can come back on and if they can’t then it’s a free substitution.
Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 10:16 - Oct 1 with 2404 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 10:08 - Oct 1 by itfcjoe

Anyone who doesn’t think this will ultimately happen just can’t read the room - it’s nailed on and in the future people will not be able to believe we used to head it

"Read the room...". I feel like I'm in the Wernham Hogg offices.

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 10:39 - Oct 1 with 2342 viewsKeaneish

Why? Boxing has been a sport for thousands of years…

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 10:53 - Oct 1 with 2313 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 10:39 - Oct 1 by Keaneish

Why? Boxing has been a sport for thousands of years…

Indeed.

People take risks everyday.

I agree that the impact of heading should be lessened, and this has been addressed at U15's level which is key.

I would also suspect there is a lot less high impact heading in todays game with playing out from the back etc.

Balls are also lighter etc.

Players will also have a say in whether heading is outlawed, and I suspect most will be against it.

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 10:57 - Oct 1 with 2290 viewshomer_123

That'll be the end of Boxing, MMA, Rugby, most of the martial arts etc. then?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 11:10 - Oct 1 with 2238 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 09:29 - Oct 1 by Clapham_Junction

That's not how it works. If there is a known issue, it's up to the employer or responsible body to eliminate or mitigate that risk as far as possible — which is quite easily possible here via a change in the rules. They can't just say to employees - yes, there's a risk of this happening, but by taking the job, you're accepting this risk, otherwise employers would be free to do nothing about a whole range of H&S issues.

By not taking sufficient action about a known issue, they're leaving themselves wide open to legal action.

It *should* be how it works. Its how I operate.

If my boss told me on my first day. "look, we head the ball here, its part of the job. There is a chance in the future that you may be affected by that. I need you to be aware and make a conscious decision to accept this role"

Then I go away and think about it as an adult and either accept and decline the position.
Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out (n/t) on 11:18 - Oct 1 with 2211 viewsBluefields

Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 10:53 - Oct 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

Indeed.

People take risks everyday.

I agree that the impact of heading should be lessened, and this has been addressed at U15's level which is key.

I would also suspect there is a lot less high impact heading in todays game with playing out from the back etc.

Balls are also lighter etc.

Players will also have a say in whether heading is outlawed, and I suspect most will be against it.

[Post edited 1 Oct 2021 11:19]
Butcher is calling for heading to be phased out on 11:35 - Oct 1 with 2165 viewsSwansea_Blue

It sounds like a stupid idea as were so used to it. But there's a no heading rule in kids football in the States, and that actually works ok. Even though it was only kids football I honestly forgot that the rule was in place and it didn't detract from the game. In the pro game it might encourage more technical, slicker passing football. Anything that rules out Pulis ball would be good. On the flip side we'd not have goals like Bonne's excellent header the other week.

If it stops former players prematurely dying, then surely it's something we have to look at seriously?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024