Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Veganistas of Twtd 08:14 - Oct 3 with 1436 viewsbluelagos

So I tried the Oatmilk on my weetabix this morning. Was quite apprehensive if truth be told, and there is a slight non-milky tang, but all in nothing that I don't reckon I'll get used to fairly quickly.

So sold, reckon I'll be sticking with it for now. Couple of qustions, when I bought it, there were like skimmed, semi-skimmed, full fat (my words) versions like cow's milk. So are they materially less healthy or is it just style/flavour?

And if I go for 1 change each fortnight - (if I go all in on day 1 just can't see it sticking) - what would you recommend I switch next? I eat very little red meat, plenty of poultry, dairy products are yoghurts and flora margarine.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Veganistas of Twtd on 08:59 - Oct 3 with 1379 viewsHerbivore

Firstly, good work on taking the plunge! The different oat milks do have different levels of fat and calories, though all are relatively low fat anyway. I go semi skimmed as the skimmed stuff is too watery (much like skimmed dairy milk, imo). The semi skimmed still has a bit of the creaminess of milk.

If you're using Flora most of their range is dairy free anyway, except Flora Buttery which was vegan but then they weirdly decided to start adding buttermilk and reducing their potential market. Go figure. However, the Flora Pro Active Buttery is vegan and that's what I use as it has the added bonus of allegedly being good for cholesterol whilst still tasting nice.

Yoghurts are a very easy swap. My omnivore partner now only uses Alpro yoghurt and prefers it to dairy. It keeps better and the difference in taste is negligible (arguably it's nicer, imo). I'd say do that next, get the easy swaps in and then work on the stuff that will be harder to replace.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Veganistas of Twtd on 09:11 - Oct 3 with 1363 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Looks like you don't like cheese so that's a result!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Veganistas of Twtd on 12:02 - Oct 3 with 1270 viewsbluelagos

Veganistas of Twtd on 08:59 - Oct 3 by Herbivore

Firstly, good work on taking the plunge! The different oat milks do have different levels of fat and calories, though all are relatively low fat anyway. I go semi skimmed as the skimmed stuff is too watery (much like skimmed dairy milk, imo). The semi skimmed still has a bit of the creaminess of milk.

If you're using Flora most of their range is dairy free anyway, except Flora Buttery which was vegan but then they weirdly decided to start adding buttermilk and reducing their potential market. Go figure. However, the Flora Pro Active Buttery is vegan and that's what I use as it has the added bonus of allegedly being good for cholesterol whilst still tasting nice.

Yoghurts are a very easy swap. My omnivore partner now only uses Alpro yoghurt and prefers it to dairy. It keeps better and the difference in taste is negligible (arguably it's nicer, imo). I'd say do that next, get the easy swaps in and then work on the stuff that will be harder to replace.

Cheers Herbs

Are all Alpro yoghurts good to go or will some be milk based? And can you marinade meat (or substitute meat) for a curry as I currently do milk yoghurt?

Veganistas of Twtd on 12:07 - Oct 3 with 1260 viewsWeWereZombies

On the Flora issue I'm going to go a bit off topic but point out that Flora still uses palm oil which I avoid for ethical reasons. So anything which phases out palm oil and replaces it with butter (Lidl's Danpak for example) is reducing food miles and limiting the adverse effects of new factory farming on the habitats of threatened species as well as not driving out native human cultures.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Veganistas of Twtd on 13:41 - Oct 3 with 1211 viewsHerbivore

Veganistas of Twtd on 12:07 - Oct 3 by WeWereZombies

On the Flora issue I'm going to go a bit off topic but point out that Flora still uses palm oil which I avoid for ethical reasons. So anything which phases out palm oil and replaces it with butter (Lidl's Danpak for example) is reducing food miles and limiting the adverse effects of new factory farming on the habitats of threatened species as well as not driving out native human cultures.

Where are the cows whose milk is used in Aldi butter located and what are they being fed? Given the environmental impact of dairy farming I'm not sure you can really argue it's a better option to eat butter. Flora do use palm oil but they use sustainable palm oil. It's an imperfect world and we all have to make our own choices I guess.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2021 14:07]

Veganistas of Twtd on 14:07 - Oct 3 with 1191 viewsHerbivore

Veganistas of Twtd on 12:02 - Oct 3 by bluelagos

Cheers Herbs

Are all Alpro yoghurts good to go or will some be milk based? And can you marinade meat (or substitute meat) for a curry as I currently do milk yoghurt?

All Alpro stuff is dairy free so good to go with all of it.

Veganistas of Twtd on 14:08 - Oct 3 with 1185 viewsbluelagos

Veganistas of Twtd on 14:07 - Oct 3 by Herbivore

All Alpro stuff is dairy free so good to go with all of it.

Thx

Veganistas of Twtd on 16:37 - Oct 3 with 1136 viewsWeWereZombies

Veganistas of Twtd on 13:41 - Oct 3 by Herbivore

Where are the cows whose milk is used in Aldi butter located and what are they being fed? Given the environmental impact of dairy farming I'm not sure you can really argue it's a better option to eat butter. Flora do use palm oil but they use sustainable palm oil. It's an imperfect world and we all have to make our own choices I guess.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2021 14:07]

Judging by where their milk comes from I would say the butter is made from British milk, from British cows, on British farms and sold in a supermarket owned by Germans...

I don't buy the 'sustainable' palm oil excuse - rain forest has been felled in the first place to make way for this 'sustainable' palm plantation, more rain forest will be felled for the next 'sustainable' palm plantation:

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/5-problems-with-sustainable-palm-oil/

Thousands of years ago iron and bronze age Britons (and Gaels, Picts, Beaker people, Angles, Saxons, Danes...) did the same to the woodland on these islands but we should know better by now. The best thing we can do for the existing dairy herds is to carry on using their products but find ways of using less of them so that the industry can be scaled down.

I've also been true to TWTD practice and gone a bit Mumsnet about oatmilk, seems that all is not as it seems...

https://www.gq.com/story/oatly-nutrition-ipo

Login to get fewer ads

Veganistas of Twtd on 16:52 - Oct 3 with 1121 viewsHerbivore

Veganistas of Twtd on 16:37 - Oct 3 by WeWereZombies

Judging by where their milk comes from I would say the butter is made from British milk, from British cows, on British farms and sold in a supermarket owned by Germans...

I don't buy the 'sustainable' palm oil excuse - rain forest has been felled in the first place to make way for this 'sustainable' palm plantation, more rain forest will be felled for the next 'sustainable' palm plantation:

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/5-problems-with-sustainable-palm-oil/

Thousands of years ago iron and bronze age Britons (and Gaels, Picts, Beaker people, Angles, Saxons, Danes...) did the same to the woodland on these islands but we should know better by now. The best thing we can do for the existing dairy herds is to carry on using their products but find ways of using less of them so that the industry can be scaled down.

I've also been true to TWTD practice and gone a bit Mumsnet about oatmilk, seems that all is not as it seems...

https://www.gq.com/story/oatly-nutrition-ipo

That article on oat milk is basically debunking some of the health criticisms of it? I'm not sure what point you're making there? The argument for milk alternatives advanced by most of us is that they are far better for the environment and do not cause suffering to cows. I don't think anyone has claimed that oat milk is really all that good for you, much as dairy milk is not especially good for you if consumed in large quantities. Both contain fat and sugar.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2021 17:00]

Veganistas of Twtd on 16:58 - Oct 3 with 1117 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganistas of Twtd on 14:08 - Oct 3 by bluelagos

Thx

Alpro no sugar oat milk is great.

I highly recommend Richmond meat free burgers as well.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Veganistas of Twtd on 17:09 - Oct 3 with 1094 viewsElephantintheRoom

Just a quick tip if you insist on eating unhealthily - fat is an essential part of your diet - it is carbohydrates you should be looking to cut down on

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Veganistas of Twtd on 17:11 - Oct 3 with 1089 viewsHerbivore

Veganistas of Twtd on 17:09 - Oct 3 by ElephantintheRoom

Just a quick tip if you insist on eating unhealthily - fat is an essential part of your diet - it is carbohydrates you should be looking to cut down on

Wow, great insight there.

Veganistas of Twtd on 17:41 - Oct 3 with 1050 viewsElephantintheRoom

Veganistas of Twtd on 17:11 - Oct 3 by Herbivore

Wow, great insight there.

Don't mention it - vegetarianism is a bit like peeing in your pants - you get a nice warm glow and feel good about yourself

Veganistas of Twtd on 17:43 - Oct 3 with 1044 viewsHerbivore

Veganistas of Twtd on 17:41 - Oct 3 by ElephantintheRoom

Don't mention it - vegetarianism is a bit like peeing in your pants - you get a nice warm glow and feel good about yourself

Ha ha! Such a wit! You're wasted on here, you really are.

Veganistas of Twtd on 17:45 - Oct 3 with 1037 viewsmutters

I'm not vegan but have been switching to oat milk where possible. Big fan of the Barista versions for my morning lattes, once you use it a few times you really don't notice the difference.

This is coming from somebody who could quite happily drink 2 litres of cow milk per day!

The only disappointing thing is that there isn't a huge health benefit from switching from what I've seen. Calories/sugars/carbs are all similar if not higher in some cases with oat milk.

For those in the know, any suggested brands that taste good and have lower carbs etc? Almond milk seems the ways to go on that front but I am not convinced on the taste for lattes etc

Poll: At what price would you sell our 32 year old Leading Scorer Murphy this summer?

Veganistas of Twtd on 17:52 - Oct 3 with 1023 viewsElephantintheRoom

Veganistas of Twtd on 17:45 - Oct 3 by mutters

I'm not vegan but have been switching to oat milk where possible. Big fan of the Barista versions for my morning lattes, once you use it a few times you really don't notice the difference.

This is coming from somebody who could quite happily drink 2 litres of cow milk per day!

The only disappointing thing is that there isn't a huge health benefit from switching from what I've seen. Calories/sugars/carbs are all similar if not higher in some cases with oat milk.

For those in the know, any suggested brands that taste good and have lower carbs etc? Almond milk seems the ways to go on that front but I am not convinced on the taste for lattes etc

I dont disagree - its a bit like stopping sugar in tea and coffee - after a while it tastes the same as it did.

Try coffee without milk - then you can appreciate the taste and flavour of different coffee beans - and a whole new world opens up.

I wouldnt be overly concerned about the health benefits of disgusting plant and nut based milks v the real thing - unless you are lactose intolerant or a vegan warrior - there is increasing evidence that dairy products are really rather good for you - including, TWTD readers will be pleased to know, a peer-reviewed paper that eating cheese can reduce heart disease. Akas it was French cheese

Veganistas of Twtd on 18:06 - Oct 3 with 1007 viewsWeWereZombies

Veganistas of Twtd on 17:52 - Oct 3 by ElephantintheRoom

I dont disagree - its a bit like stopping sugar in tea and coffee - after a while it tastes the same as it did.

Try coffee without milk - then you can appreciate the taste and flavour of different coffee beans - and a whole new world opens up.

I wouldnt be overly concerned about the health benefits of disgusting plant and nut based milks v the real thing - unless you are lactose intolerant or a vegan warrior - there is increasing evidence that dairy products are really rather good for you - including, TWTD readers will be pleased to know, a peer-reviewed paper that eating cheese can reduce heart disease. Akas it was French cheese

Why 'alas' (I guess that is what you meany to type) French cheese? Most of the best cheeses in the World come from France.

Veganistas of Twtd on 18:14 - Oct 3 with 992 viewsLord_Lucan

Veganistas of Twtd on 16:58 - Oct 3 by J2BLUE

I'm pretty sure Richmond sausages are meat free!

Today I bought a pack of that fake bacon stuff for Vegantastic RKD - the stuff that caused a hoo ha on here last week. Gotta say it looks bloody horrible but I might try a rasher if I'm about when he cooks it.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Veganistas of Twtd on 18:29 - Oct 3 with 979 viewsEly_Blue

Veganistas of Twtd on 16:58 - Oct 3 by J2BLUE

The Richmond meat free burgers are very high in saturated fat from the coconut oil in them, however the richmond vegan bacon is for me the best there is out there (although you need to pan fry it as it doesn’t grill well)

The Richmond vegan sausages taste the exact same as their meat equivalent as they use the same seasoning

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Veganistas of Twtd on 20:47 - Oct 3 with 904 viewsCrawfordsboot

What have you started Lagos

Are you on a pay per click deal?😉😉
Veganistas of Twtd on 21:27 - Oct 3 with 857 viewsLord_Lucan

Veganistas of Twtd on 18:29 - Oct 3 by Ely_Blue

The Richmond meat free burgers are very high in saturated fat from the coconut oil in them, however the richmond vegan bacon is for me the best there is out there (although you need to pan fry it as it doesn’t grill well)

The Richmond vegan sausages taste the exact same as their meat equivalent as they use the same seasoning

They taste of sh1te then?

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Veganistas of Twtd on 21:45 - Oct 3 with 826 viewsmonytowbray

Veganistas of Twtd on 18:14 - Oct 3 by Lord_Lucan

I'm pretty sure Richmond sausages are meat free!

Today I bought a pack of that fake bacon stuff for Vegantastic RKD - the stuff that caused a hoo ha on here last week. Gotta say it looks bloody horrible but I might try a rasher if I'm about when he cooks it.

I’d suggest trying this.

https://lovingitvegan.com/vegan-bacon/

Cooking seitan is surprisingly easy, wheat gluten is 2 quid in Holland & Barrett.

Yet to find a store brought product that comes even close.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Veganistas of Twtd on 22:29 - Oct 3 with 786 viewsArnoldMoorhen

Veganistas of Twtd on 17:41 - Oct 3 by ElephantintheRoom

You feel good about yourself when you pee your pants? That's a bit weird.
Veganistas of Twtd on 22:40 - Oct 3 with 777 viewsJ2BLUE

Veganistas of Twtd on 17:09 - Oct 3 by ElephantintheRoom

Carbohydrates covers everything from broccoli to gummy bears. There is no need whatsoever to cut down on whole food carbs or fear them. If you want to make the point that we should cut on refined carbohydrates then no one is arguing.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024