Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side 09:42 - Oct 3 with 1507 viewsunstableblue

As large sections of the fan base lose faith with Cook as we move 6 points off of the last play-off place (assuming we win game in hand), rightly so perhaps given his form to date and yet another lacklustre display, perhaps there is one word of caution

Get rid of Cook? Where next?

Football is littered with examples of managers given more time and finally coming good, because owners saw the fundamentals behind the scenes changing.

Also you have to ask, we are an oil tanker that has been so far of course for so long, underachievement deeply ingrained in the club! Perhaps it will take time for any manager to correct course?!

But I completely get that Cook has been given a very long period of time, I get the frustration, not showing desire against Accrington is unforgivable

One thing that really concerns me about change though is this: I thought all the criticisms levelled against Ashton by 100% of Bristol fans were not applicable here, as Cook held firmly the footballing reigns. The balanace looked right.

Ashton has a poor record on managerial recruitment and taking control of football matters.

Perhaps be careful what you wish for is applicable?

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 09:48 - Oct 3 with 1444 viewsOldboy

No problem with Cook staying for now, but he needs an assistant. It isn't working well at the moment. Somebody as a go between the manager and players. Feels like Cook is to close to the players at the moment. He is doing the praising and slagging off which gives the players mixed messages. An experienced assistant would take a work load off for him.
Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 09:50 - Oct 3 with 1430 viewsZXBlue

That all appears based on rumours and whining by Bristol fans rather than anything concrete.
Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 09:51 - Oct 3 with 1430 viewsHerbivore

Can you give me some examples of all these managers who have come good after underperforming to the extent that Cook has at the start of their tenure? I am struggling to think of many, if any.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2021 10:08]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 10:07 - Oct 3 with 1365 viewsBlueBadger

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 09:51 - Oct 3 by Herbivore

Can you give me some examples of all these managers who have come good after underperforming to the extent that Cook has at the start of their tenure? I am struggling to think of many, if any.

pEoPlE bOoEd SiR bObBy

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 10:09 - Oct 3 with 1351 viewsBlueBadger

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 10:28 - Oct 3 with 1284 viewsHighgateBlue

Why would you assume we would win our game in hand? You might as well assume we win all our games. We've won 2 in 10 this season in the league.
Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 10:29 - Oct 3 with 1279 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Problem is that after 6 months and unprecedented backing, there's no signs of a pattern of play or consistent performances.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 10:29 - Oct 3 with 1283 viewsjayessess

Football isn't littered with examples of managers who have been this poor from the outset for this long and finally come good.

I hope he'll come good and he'll certainly get more time, but the likeliest outcome from this point is that we'll just continue to struggle along until it's finally untenable to keep him in post.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 10:31 - Oct 3 with 1261 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 10:29 - Oct 3 by jayessess

Football isn't littered with examples of managers who have been this poor from the outset for this long and finally come good.

I hope he'll come good and he'll certainly get more time, but the likeliest outcome from this point is that we'll just continue to struggle along until it's finally untenable to keep him in post.

Agreed.

There's very few (if any) examples of a manager having such a terribly poor record after 6 months, turning things around.

Most would have been sacked by now.

I hope he does turn it around, but I can't get past how inexperienced his support staff are.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 10:33 - Oct 3 with 1245 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 09:51 - Oct 3 by Herbivore

And these dreadful managers that Ashton appointed at BCFC? Where exactly did they take BCFC? I thought the complaints were that he recruited crocks as players who were always out injured.

At the end of the day, at some point we are going to need a new manager. At the moment that looks like sooner rather than later. We will need to get the process right in order to appoint the right person. I am certain Mike O'Leary will be heavily involved. There are no guarantees whoever is appointed but I do think this group can be trusted to appoint better than ME did.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 10:56 - Oct 3 with 1192 viewsElephantintheRoom

I am not sure Cook is entirely to blame for the current fiasco. I can't imagine the USA vultures suggested getting rid of the entire staff and lose all semblance of what was once Ipswich Town as soon as they 'bought' it.

I suspect you have to look no further than the get rich quick schemers Ashton and O'Leary for the debacle that arose when the possibilities of a dead cat bounce were completely ignored. This franchise has been a long time coming whilst O'Leary cast his net far and wide to find someone daft and ignorant enough to think that thirty years of decline by a small town club in a league far, far away can be arrested by sweeping out the demoralised underperformers and ushering in a job lot of opportunists was a good move.

There is nobody at the club with any feel for it - to the whole lot of them it is simply a 'project' with easy money attached to it. So in a way it makes sense to let things carry on - getting rid of Ashton who is nothing more than a slimy bloke in a suit sensing easy money might be the best option - and finding someone who hasn't got a Bristol City default. But that is no easy task - and I doubt O'Leary is up to it.

The suggestion for a(or yet another) Cookster sidekick is interesting. George Burley was utterly reliant on competent coaches. Brian Hamilton and Stewart Houston rapidly transformed seasons as chaotic as this one - Dale Roberts was a stabilising influence later. But to my mind Cook was given a wrecking ball brief by the chancers and has taken on an arrogance and lack of man management that he pprobably didnt have at football clubs. that were seeking promotion for its own ends, rather than a profit opportunity with a time line.

So far relegation seems unlikely - largely thanks to Covid. I'd suggest its best to leave well alone and see how the franchise develops when the players, manager, backroom staff, man in an open neck shirt etc feel as if they actually belong here. Interesting that one of the few promising looking signings is a bloke rejected by Town and here on loan

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:04 - Oct 3 with 1161 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 10:56 - Oct 3 by ElephantintheRoom

I am not sure Cook is entirely to blame for the current fiasco. I can't imagine the USA vultures suggested getting rid of the entire staff and lose all semblance of what was once Ipswich Town as soon as they 'bought' it.

I suspect you have to look no further than the get rich quick schemers Ashton and O'Leary for the debacle that arose when the possibilities of a dead cat bounce were completely ignored. This franchise has been a long time coming whilst O'Leary cast his net far and wide to find someone daft and ignorant enough to think that thirty years of decline by a small town club in a league far, far away can be arrested by sweeping out the demoralised underperformers and ushering in a job lot of opportunists was a good move.

There is nobody at the club with any feel for it - to the whole lot of them it is simply a 'project' with easy money attached to it. So in a way it makes sense to let things carry on - getting rid of Ashton who is nothing more than a slimy bloke in a suit sensing easy money might be the best option - and finding someone who hasn't got a Bristol City default. But that is no easy task - and I doubt O'Leary is up to it.

The suggestion for a(or yet another) Cookster sidekick is interesting. George Burley was utterly reliant on competent coaches. Brian Hamilton and Stewart Houston rapidly transformed seasons as chaotic as this one - Dale Roberts was a stabilising influence later. But to my mind Cook was given a wrecking ball brief by the chancers and has taken on an arrogance and lack of man management that he pprobably didnt have at football clubs. that were seeking promotion for its own ends, rather than a profit opportunity with a time line.

So far relegation seems unlikely - largely thanks to Covid. I'd suggest its best to leave well alone and see how the franchise develops when the players, manager, backroom staff, man in an open neck shirt etc feel as if they actually belong here. Interesting that one of the few promising looking signings is a bloke rejected by Town and here on loan

Are you able to translate this into English?

You appear to be saying it was Ashton and O'Leary that decided to completely change the squad against Cook's will. Have you read/listened to nothing Cook has said?

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:09 - Oct 3 with 1155 views66notout

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 10:56 - Oct 3 by ElephantintheRoom

Wise words. Very few fans have grasped the reality of the situation in which our club now finds itself; it is indeed a fiasco. Supporters have thrown their support - both financial and vocal - behind a club with no feasible long-term strategy and whose short-term plan is close to total collapse.
[Post edited 3 Oct 2021 11:10]
Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:11 - Oct 3 with 1122 viewswkj

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:09 - Oct 3 by 66notout

Wise words. Very few fans have grasped the reality of the situation in which our club now finds itself; it is indeed a fiasco. Supporters have thrown their support - both financial and vocal - behind a club with no feasible long-term strategy and whose short-term plan is close to total collapse.

And that is the role of a fan, to throw their support behind a club and hope for better times. Sitting around being fearful and miserable will do absolutely nothing more, or less, to impact the fate of the football team.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:24 - Oct 3 with 1075 viewsElephantintheRoom

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:11 - Oct 3 by wkj

And that is the role of a fan, to throw their support behind a club and hope for better times. Sitting around being fearful and miserable will do absolutely nothing more, or less, to impact the fate of the football team.

Possibly - a fan is a fanatic after all.

But most clubs, including Ipswich have supporters who suport the cllub for a reason and might be shareholders as well - and blindly accepting what a bunch of chancers are doing to a once decent club is not necessarily a given for supporters who associate the club with something very different to what it has become.

I can see that anyone under the age of thirty probably knows Ipswich Town as something of a joke club spirally slowly down the league whilst living on former glories. To them the illusion of easy money and the risible 'Three Lions' might seem an attractive mirage - but in all honesty the entire Town set up now could be anywhere in the country - and the whole approach is ludicrous. To expect anything other than utter chaos in the short term is delusional in the extreme

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:29 - Oct 3 with 1059 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:24 - Oct 3 by ElephantintheRoom

But most clubs, including Ipswich have supporters who suport the cllub for a reason and might be shareholders as well - and blindly accepting what a bunch of chancers are doing to a once decent club is not necessarily a given for supporters who associate the club with something very different to what it has become.

I can see that anyone under the age of thirty probably knows Ipswich Town as something of a joke club spirally slowly down the league whilst living on former glories. To them the illusion of easy money and the risible 'Three Lions' might seem an attractive mirage - but in all honesty the entire Town set up now could be anywhere in the country - and the whole approach is ludicrous. To expect anything other than utter chaos in the short term is delusional in the extreme

Why is it delusional to expect anything other than chaos in the short term?

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:29 - Oct 3 with 1062 viewsHARRY10

"Also you have to ask, we are an oil tanker that has been so far of course for so long, underachievement deeply ingrained in the club! Perhaps it will take time for any manager to correct course?! "

That rather (conveniently) overlooks that we have cleared out virtually everything that was previously wrong with the club. The underachievement that was ingrained.

Players, coaches, manager, CEO, even the owner.

Where the real problem might lie is the intent of the new set up, on thinking they could buy almost instant success. Appoint a supposedly successful manager, let him recruit with what appears little oversight, and off we go. PL next stop.

Clearly the players are not up to it, whatever many may claim. The results demonstrate that. The only grit seems to have been an afterthought (Morly), when it was clear the side was over balanced with lightweight attacking midfielders. Much as with Walton, when Hladky looked to be failing.

Why is it Cook didn't grasp that many of the sides in L1 would play a physical game ? Perhaps L1 clubs do not have the finance to do the in depth analysis of their opponents as the PL clubs can do. But evidence shows they have someone who can change things around at half time to counter whatever we are doing.

Not many managers have come good in the short term that Cook is now expected to. But plenty of clubs have hit the wall for thinking that money alone buys success. A few of whom are stuck in L1 with us.

Contrary to this being seen as a long term venture. Gamechanger appear to be more of a mindset that runs outfits like Cash Generator. The question eventually is whether to stick or twist. If it is the latter, will there be funds in January and who will go to keep the squad size compliant ?
Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:31 - Oct 3 with 1050 viewswkj

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:24 - Oct 3 by ElephantintheRoom

You have identified a possibility, but your points of view are nothing more than conjecture at this point. It is time to wake up and realise that ITFC are in no way different to the norm in terms of ownership.

The era of club bleeders like Jack Walker and the Cobbolds will not return, and only fools can use that era as a benchmark whilst Murdoch and Pals destroy the innocence of football.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:35 - Oct 3 with 1031 viewsIllinoisblue

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:09 - Oct 3 by 66notout

Drama queen much?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:43 - Oct 3 with 985 viewsElephantintheRoom

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:31 - Oct 3 by wkj

You have identified a possibility, but your points of view are nothing more than conjecture at this point. It is time to wake up and realise that ITFC are in no way different to the norm in terms of ownership.

The era of club bleeders like Jack Walker and the Cobbolds will not return, and only fools can use that era as a benchmark whilst Murdoch and Pals destroy the innocence of football.

I think you'll find that Ipswich are very different to the norm. I can think of very few clubs with owners who have never been to the club and have borrowed money from a USA pension fund to gain 5% of the club and pretend to be owners - whilst the reviled former owner holds exactly the same amount.

I'll agree with you that the football landscape has changed in recent years - and I also think geography hinders Town - but there are a sprinkling of clubs not owned by chancers and opportunists - and most actually have owners who own the club.

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 12:07 - Oct 3 with 932 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:43 - Oct 3 by ElephantintheRoom

I think you'll find that Ipswich are very different to the norm. I can think of very few clubs with owners who have never been to the club and have borrowed money from a USA pension fund to gain 5% of the club and pretend to be owners - whilst the reviled former owner holds exactly the same amount.

I'll agree with you that the football landscape has changed in recent years - and I also think geography hinders Town - but there are a sprinkling of clubs not owned by chancers and opportunists - and most actually have owners who own the club.

Who owns the other 90%?

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 13:36 - Oct 3 with 815 viewsHerbivore

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:43 - Oct 3 by ElephantintheRoom

You still don't seem to understand how the club is owned, despite it being explained to you many times.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 10:23 - Oct 4 with 474 viewsreusersfreekicks

Get rid of Cook and that moves Ashton into more control of the football side on 11:04 - Oct 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

Are you able to translate this into English?

You appear to be saying it was Ashton and O'Leary that decided to completely change the squad against Cook's will. Have you read/listened to nothing Cook has said?

Rubbish isn't it
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024