Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watford at it again (n/t) 11:36 - Oct 3 with 1775 viewsWoolfenthen

Watford at it again (n/t) on 11:38 - Oct 3 with 1765 viewswkj

It either makes us look like Saints or Fools by comparison
[Post edited 3 Oct 2021 11:38]

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Watford at it again (n/t) on 11:48 - Oct 3 with 1700 viewsWacko

Watford at it again (n/t) on 11:38 - Oct 3 by wkj

Whether one agrees or not, they have a plan. They probably have someone lined up right now to take over, no weeks of job interviews and indecisiveness. And they know what style they want to be playing

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Watford at it again (n/t) on 11:50 - Oct 3 with 1688 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Or both.

You only have to look at league positions to get a clue. I wouldn't want us to fire as readily as they do but we have suffered from having too much patience with the wrong man for far too long now.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Watford at it again (n/t) on 11:57 - Oct 3 with 1652 viewsjayessess

Relative to results we've historically been one of the most patient clubs in the EFL. The average managerial stint is about 12 months, more or less.

From Magilton onwards our average is 885 days per manager and everyone except Hurst was in post significantly longer than a year. That's pretty remarkable considering how badly most of them failed.

Given our trajectory I don't think you can argue it's a trait that served us well.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:01 - Oct 3 with 1627 viewspointofblue

Watford at it again (n/t) on 11:57 - Oct 3 by jayessess

Relative to results we've historically been one of the most patient clubs in the EFL. The average managerial stint is about 12 months, more or less.

From Magilton onwards our average is 885 days per manager and everyone except Hurst was in post significantly longer than a year. That's pretty remarkable considering how badly most of them failed.

Given our trajectory I don't think you can argue it's a trait that served us well.

Whilst Chelsea and Watford being trigger happy seems to work wonders.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:12 - Oct 3 with 1582 viewsWeWereZombies

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:01 - Oct 3 by pointofblue

Whilst Chelsea and Watford being trigger happy seems to work wonders.

There again Pep and Klopp have been in post for a while, ManU seem to have done well in sticking with Solskjær and West Ham have shown them the previous error of their ways in appointing Moyes.

There again, Nodge have stuck with Farke...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:15 - Oct 3 with 1567 viewsjayessess

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:12 - Oct 3 by WeWereZombies

There again Pep and Klopp have been in post for a while, ManU seem to have done well in sticking with Solskjær and West Ham have shown them the previous error of their ways in appointing Moyes.

There again, Nodge have stuck with Farke...

Very easy not to be trigger happy when you win things fairly regularly. I'd dispute that Man U have done well sticking with Solskjaer, they should really be far closer to winning the league with their budget.

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:20 - Oct 3 with 1552 viewsBlueBadger

Watford at it again (n/t) on 11:57 - Oct 3 by jayessess

Pretty much every manager of the Evans era, bar arguably Magilton, was afford too much time.

Keane should have been sacked after 15 games, Hurst after ten, Lambert as soon as relegation was confirmed and dear old Mick should have gone the season before he did.

What's really weird is how quick a section of our fanbase are to start cults around the worst ones.
All those cringe-worthy 'Lambo' banners and grovelling 'Keane' worship...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:23 - Oct 3 with 1540 viewsjayessess

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:20 - Oct 3 by BlueBadger

Pretty much every manager of the Evans era, bar arguably Magilton, was afford too much time.

Keane should have been sacked after 15 games, Hurst after ten, Lambert as soon as relegation was confirmed and dear old Mick should have gone the season before he did.

What's really weird is how quick a section of our fanbase are to start cults around the worst ones.

Must admit the enthusiasm for Cook has been weird. I'm still of the view that we need to play this out a little further, but people seemed to be delighted by him simply on the basis of liking the cut of his jib.

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:30 - Oct 3 with 1501 viewsWeWereZombies

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:15 - Oct 3 by jayessess

Very easy not to be trigger happy when you win things fairly regularly. I'd dispute that Man U have done well sticking with Solskjaer, they should really be far closer to winning the league with their budget.

The Man Utd. manager appointment is, perhaps, the most interesting one as the incumbent will always have those glories of the Ferguson years hanging over them (usually with Sir Alex in the stand watching the game). To expect them to be a shoo in for the title is too much, it is enough that they have stabilised and become a top four club again (which I think they would have done sooner if they had given Moyes more time.)

They do have the moneyball signings like Pogba and Cavani but they are also home to local talent like Rashford and club developed players from not so far away like Greenwood and McTominay. I like them a lot more than I used to and I think you have to give Solskjær credit for forming a disparate mix of players into a team that doesn't appear to sulk too much.

Another one of the longer serving managers that it will be interesting to follow the fortunes of is Brendan Rodgers, will Leicester have patience if this season carries on being a bit lacklustre? After all, they are on the same number of points as Watford.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:34 - Oct 3 with 1478 viewsWestover

Who in there right minds would want the Watford job?.
Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:41 - Oct 3 with 1453 viewsjayessess

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:34 - Oct 3 by Westover

Go in, get paid, get a severance package, suffer zero reputational damage because it's Watford. Where's the downside?

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:42 - Oct 3 with 1456 viewsBlueBadger

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:23 - Oct 3 by jayessess

Must admit the enthusiasm for Cook has been weird. I'm still of the view that we need to play this out a little further, but people seemed to be delighted by him simply on the basis of liking the cut of his jib.

People were desperate for something to cover their embarrassment at Lambert being the utter fraud he was and them not seeing through it, so Cook's dump on the players suckered them in even better than a free beer..

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Watford at it again (n/t) on 13:12 - Oct 3 with 1375 viewspatrickswell

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:20 - Oct 3 by BlueBadger

I think Town’s tendency to give managers time is an admirable one, but it’s been staggering just how poorly all the managers from Keane onwards - bar McCarthy - have performed.

Until Keane’s tenure the only periods when Town found themselves in the Second tier relegation zone for any concerted period of time was during the 1954/55 season, our first at that level; the early weeks of the 1964/65 season when Jackie Milburn handed over to Bill McGarry and the slow start to the 1997/98 season in which I remember that we were 23rd in mid November after David Johnson’s debut, but George Burley had credit in the bank after the strong second halves of the previous 2 seasons (and we duly did it again that season). Everyone else was either leading a Town side in the top flight or anywhere between the top 15 places of the Second tier.

Under Keane, Jewell, Hurst and Lambert we became fixtures in the relegation zone of the Championship; Lambert had us top 10 of League One and now Cook has piloted us into the bottom 6 of the third tier after being given full control. Basic competence has been in short supply at Portman Road for the longest period of time I can remember and they get the time and use it purely to produce worse results and performances.

Nobody will ever build a statue to John Duncan or to Jim Magilton (as a manager) but they are so far ahead of 5 of our last 6 managers in terms of their records here that it frankly defies belief.
Watford at it again (n/t) on 13:17 - Oct 3 with 1353 viewsWestover

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:41 - Oct 3 by jayessess

Go in, get paid, get a severance package, suffer zero reputational damage because it's Watford. Where's the downside?

The downside is moving house and family from often another country kids having to move schools for mostly less than a year and just maybe missing out on a good job just for the money, not worth the trouble IMO.
Watford at it again (n/t) on 13:19 - Oct 3 with 1345 viewsstonojnr

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:15 - Oct 3 by jayessess

Id agree and anyone but Ole in the post would have been sacked, but thats the biggest problem with being manager there having the gang from 92 hanging around the club who can easily shift media and fan sentiment against you.
Watford at it again (n/t) on 13:20 - Oct 3 with 1337 viewschicoazul

Watford Fulham Norwich Bournemouth and Sheff Utd have eaten our lunch for the last 15 years. Nobody on here should pick holes in how any of them do things. It’s embarrassing.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Watford at it again (n/t) on 13:42 - Oct 3 with 1255 viewstimothyeo

Watford at it again (n/t) on 13:20 - Oct 3 by chicoazul

Watford Fulham Norwich Bournemouth and Sheff Utd have eaten our lunch for the last 15 years. Nobody on here should pick holes in how any of them do things. It’s embarrassing.

Yep. Hard to mock Watford when its generally worked for them every time.
Watford at it again (n/t) on 13:51 - Oct 3 with 1236 viewsstrikalite

Watford at it again (n/t) on 13:17 - Oct 3 by Westover

The downside is moving house and family from often another country kids having to move schools for mostly less than a year and just maybe missing out on a good job just for the money, not worth the trouble IMO.

I bet very few Watford Managers do that, they'll be over here on their own no doubt, even Jose when at Man U was living in an apartment on his own...

Just heard a good quote " wherever you are, you're never more than 50 yards away from a previous Watford Manager"...
Watford at it again (n/t) on 14:09 - Oct 3 with 1184 viewsjayessess

Watford at it again (n/t) on 13:17 - Oct 3 by Westover

I don't think football managers are in a position to think like that, really. Chances are in any role you'll not be there for more than a year or so.

Watford at it again (n/t) on 14:51 - Oct 3 with 1114 viewsTheBlueGnu

it works though

Poll: Other than "The Mean Machine", what was your favourite Wacky Races car ?

Watford at it again (n/t) on 15:01 - Oct 3 with 1094 viewsHARRY10

Rather getting above themselves again.

What do the owners expect, a Champions League place ?

The best around a dozen current PL clubs can hope for is to stay up, and stay out of the relegation battles.

A ground of 22,000 is hardly likely to generate the money needed either
to get the players who'll have you finish in the top four................. meaning CL football, big money etc

As to the job, yes please. Three year contract and they can sack me anytime they want.
Watford at it again (n/t) on 18:20 - Oct 3 with 933 viewsrgp1

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:23 - Oct 3 by jayessess

Too much of his 'jib' has been part of the problem.
Watford at it again (n/t) on 18:32 - Oct 3 with 911 viewsWickets

Watford at it again (n/t) on 12:34 - Oct 3 by Westover

Claudo Ranieri ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024