Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Overreaction to Saturday? 10:23 - Oct 4 with 3873 viewskizaitfc

Yes we want to be winning these games and keeping form is important. But I guarantee we will not be the only team to lose away to Accrington.

The overall view needs to include a few more games, now Cook seems to have a full squad which based on the Doncaster game has started to click. If we cant come away from our next 3 games with say 6-7 points then we can question it what Cook is doing and the system he plays.

You can't hammer a manager and a team for one poor performance like that, if the same happens again Saturday then fair enough the team and manager should come in for some criticism. Before someone mentions games at start of the season, I am ignoring the games prior to Lincoln as a) I don't think we had a settled side particularly at the back and b) it was always going to take a while to click/gel going forwards.

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:26 - Oct 4 with 2587 viewsBlueBadger

'You can't hammer a manager and a team for one poor performance like that, if the same happens again Saturday then fair enough the team and manager should come in for some criticism.'

Mate, it's happening like that all season.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:30 - Oct 4 with 2562 viewskizaitfc

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:26 - Oct 4 by BlueBadger

'You can't hammer a manager and a team for one poor performance like that, if the same happens again Saturday then fair enough the team and manager should come in for some criticism.'

Mate, it's happening like that all season.

"All season"

We have played 10 games!

The team has only been unchanged once in that period, Cook needs to work out his best team and get them playing. And yes that needs to happen very soon, I get that, but after a great performance Tuesday night we cant just say "oh it's all gone to sh*t again" after one game.

From this point Cook needs to prove the Accrington game is the anomaly and not the Doncaster game

Poll: Mick in or out? (not a dig at Mick just want to see the overall opinion on here)

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:31 - Oct 4 with 2554 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

So if we ignore most of the season, plus last season, and ignore the one defeat and focus just on one win against the team at the foot of the table, then things are going brilliantly? Three cheers for Cookie!

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:31 - Oct 4 with 2547 viewsOldboy

It wasn't a case of gelling, we were just bl00dy awful.
Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:33 - Oct 4 with 2521 viewsOldboy

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:31 - Oct 4 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

So if we ignore most of the season, plus last season, and ignore the one defeat and focus just on one win against the team at the foot of the table, then things are going brilliantly? Three cheers for Cookie!

That did make me chuckle.
Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:34 - Oct 4 with 2517 viewsBlueBadger

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:30 - Oct 4 by kizaitfc

"All season"

We have played 10 games!

The team has only been unchanged once in that period, Cook needs to work out his best team and get them playing. And yes that needs to happen very soon, I get that, but after a great performance Tuesday night we cant just say "oh it's all gone to sh*t again" after one game.

From this point Cook needs to prove the Accrington game is the anomaly and not the Doncaster game

Ten games. Yes, nearly a quarter of the season with one truly good performance aided by a Doncaster team who rolled over and died after going 2 down.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:40 - Oct 4 with 2480 viewskizaitfc

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:34 - Oct 4 by BlueBadger

Ten games. Yes, nearly a quarter of the season with one truly good performance aided by a Doncaster team who rolled over and died after going 2 down.

Agree re. Doncaster, but lets not just assume because we didnt follow it up with a win that everything is bad.

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:42 - Oct 4 with 2474 viewskizaitfc

I am not saying Cook is doing a great job, I am saying lets hold off on our judgement.

If it really was the start of the clicking together last Tuesday then we should see signs of that on Saturday.

Lets not just right it off because f the bad performance Saturday

Login to get fewer ads

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:50 - Oct 4 with 2439 viewsBlueBadger

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:40 - Oct 4 by kizaitfc

Agree re. Doncaster, but lets not just assume because we didnt follow it up with a win that everything is bad.

I'm not doing that. I'm assuming that it's bad because our allegedly Championship capable side have only managed to achieve two wins whilst also managing to fail to beat sides which can be mostly described 'third division also-rans'.

Overreaction to Saturday? on 11:01 - Oct 4 with 2403 viewskizaitfc

Overreaction to Saturday? on 10:50 - Oct 4 by BlueBadger

I'm not doing that. I'm assuming that it's bad because our allegedly Championship capable side have only managed to achieve two wins whilst also managing to fail to beat sides which can be mostly described 'third division also-rans'.

So what do you think is the reason behind this?

Players not good enough, formation, training?

What is the solution? Because for me changing the manager is not the answer at this stage.

Overreaction to Saturday? on 11:05 - Oct 4 with 2374 viewsBlueBadger

Overreaction to Saturday? on 11:01 - Oct 4 by kizaitfc

So what do you think is the reason behind this?

Players not good enough, formation, training?

What is the solution? Because for me changing the manager is not the answer at this stage.

I think you'd have to look at weak coaching. A new manager would probably want his own men in.

Overreaction to Saturday? on 11:05 - Oct 4 with 2375 viewsjayessess

I'm somewhere in the middle of this, really. I think Saturday was a proper hammer blow, result and performance were an unexpected kick in the nuts just when we thought we'd got the show properly on the road. Cook's got zero credit in the bank and he's right on the precipice now.

Equally, just because we got turned over on Saturday doesn't necessarily mean that the tide wasn't turning before that and those performances weren't real. Yes, Doncaster were rank, but they gave MK Dons a game later in the week, Lincoln and Wednesday weren't weak opposition either. You can only hope that Accrington is one of the final hiccups on a general incline from here onwards.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Overreaction to Saturday? on 11:15 - Oct 4 with 2318 viewsMetal_Hacker

" I am ignoring the games prior to Lincoln as a) I don't think we had a settled side particularly at the back and b) it was always going to take a while to click/gel going forwards "

Perhaps we should ask Sunderland to ignore the fact that they've won 10 of their 12 competitive games this season ?

Poll: If it were one or the other

Overreaction to Saturday? on 11:17 - Oct 4 with 2312 viewsHerbivore

It's mad, isn't it? The Accrington result and performance is, sadly, much more in keeping with Cook's tenure here, both last season and this. And yet we're meant to ignore the 27 other games he's been in charge and cling to a home win against Doncaster as the definitive evidence that he's the man for the job. I really can't fathom how some of our fanbase manage this kind of mental gymnastics.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 11:22 - Oct 4 with 2272 viewsJammyDodgerrr

I suppose the question is for those who went to Accrington - did we lose because we were poor, or was it one of those games where we lost because the conditions were against us and Accrington just handled it better, but we still deserved to win?

Either way we did lose of course, but i suppose if you are judging Saturday, you can look at it like that.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 11:22 - Oct 4 with 2263 viewsblueconscience

Overreaction to Saturday? on 11:17 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

It's mad, isn't it? The Accrington result and performance is, sadly, much more in keeping with Cook's tenure here, both last season and this. And yet we're meant to ignore the 27 other games he's been in charge and cling to a home win against Doncaster as the definitive evidence that he's the man for the job. I really can't fathom how some of our fanbase manage this kind of mental gymnastics.

They are just so used to mediocrity, it has become the norm for them.

Poll: What % of ST holders saying they won’t renew, will end up renewing regardless?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 11:52 - Oct 4 with 2150 viewsSomethingBlue

We won't be the only team that loses at Accrington. Or Cheltenham. Or Burton. Or that gets roasted at home by Bolton. But is there a successful team that will experience all four of those? All very well chalking off the early weeks of the season but other sides with vast player turnover had few such problems. We need to be doing better very quickly. It's 1.8 points a game now to reach the play-offs and once that gets any higher we can forget it.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Overreaction to Saturday? on 11:55 - Oct 4 with 2128 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'm looking forward to the jelly, because so far he's doing worse than last season with a supposedly better team. Only just worse (1.19 pts/game last year to 1pt/game this) but neither are anywhere near good enough if the owners aim really is promotion.

It could still come I suppose. And it has been a major overhaul in fairness. It's not as if he was short of decent players at the start of the season though. Bonne, Evans, Burns, Chaplin, Fraser, Hladky, Penney, Pigott, Harper were all here for the first match. Edwards and Burgess were for the 3rd and 4th matches.

If things carry on like this through October he's in trouble. I suspect the owners will be more patient that some of us may expect, but they'll have limits.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:03 - Oct 4 with 2070 viewsSomethingBlue

Overreaction to Saturday? on 11:55 - Oct 4 by Swansea_Blue

I'm looking forward to the jelly, because so far he's doing worse than last season with a supposedly better team. Only just worse (1.19 pts/game last year to 1pt/game this) but neither are anywhere near good enough if the owners aim really is promotion.

It could still come I suppose. And it has been a major overhaul in fairness. It's not as if he was short of decent players at the start of the season though. Bonne, Evans, Burns, Chaplin, Fraser, Hladky, Penney, Pigott, Harper were all here for the first match. Edwards and Burgess were for the 3rd and 4th matches.

If things carry on like this through October he's in trouble. I suspect the owners will be more patient that some of us may expect, but they'll have limits.

Yep, at the end of this month we will be a third of the way through the season. It's a good run of games and for me it's essential that we are in the top half by then. Otherwise, ahead of a much tougher-looking stretch, it'll be time to do something different.

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:05 - Oct 4 with 2052 viewsGarv

To be honest I think we could have seen that kind of performance at any time during the season, whether in form or not, it's just frustrating that it came while we're still finding our feet. We've all sorts of quality but let's face is we're not exactly suited to the kind of game Saturday presented. Not an excuse just a reality.

Whether we should still be 'finding our feet' 10 games in is a different argument but the more pressing question seems to be whether this game is going to define our season or not.

It could easily prove to have been a one off. If we hadn't already gone away to Lincoln and won, played well against Wednesday and thrashed Doncaster (bottom or not), and scored lots of goals all season, I'd be more worried.

If promotion is no longer possible as people are suggesting, what's the point in sacking Cook?

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:09 - Oct 4 with 2025 viewsHerbivore

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:05 - Oct 4 by Garv

To be honest I think we could have seen that kind of performance at any time during the season, whether in form or not, it's just frustrating that it came while we're still finding our feet. We've all sorts of quality but let's face is we're not exactly suited to the kind of game Saturday presented. Not an excuse just a reality.

Whether we should still be 'finding our feet' 10 games in is a different argument but the more pressing question seems to be whether this game is going to define our season or not.

It could easily prove to have been a one off. If we hadn't already gone away to Lincoln and won, played well against Wednesday and thrashed Doncaster (bottom or not), and scored lots of goals all season, I'd be more worried.

If promotion is no longer possible as people are suggesting, what's the point in sacking Cook?

The point of sacking Cook would be that he's already spectacularly failed, so give a new manager the season to see what they can do ahead of any tweaks over the summer. We're not there yet but so poor has our start been that we aren't far away.

And let's be real, Accrington wasn't a one off under Cook. It was reminiscent of our other away defeats both this season and last. Our away record under Cook is utterly abysmal.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:10 - Oct 4 with 2021 viewsleitrimblue

Don't think he will be going anywhere this year. The owners understand the state the club was in previously and realize there is no instant fix. They completely bought into Cooks plan to rip it up an start again and they will give him plenty of time to try an implement it.
Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:11 - Oct 4 with 2019 viewsSomethingBlue

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:05 - Oct 4 by Garv

I think people are suggesting (well I am) that it's very much still possible — but that we're already at a delicate point and if we fall further behind then it just becomes highly unrealistic, like it or not. Rest of this month is absolutely crucial — look at those fixtures and then the ones that follow them, we have to start making up some real ground now.

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:13 - Oct 4 with 1990 viewsPinewoodblue

Norwich in the mood to slug it out for survival…..says today’s DM.

Daniel Farke was encouraged by the transformation of his Norwich players from soft touch to hard nosed.

We don’t have to do exactly this but we do need to be able to change it around when necessary. It could easy be argued that in the majority of games this season that we have failed to win that we have failed to change it when we should have.

Cook really has no excuse for the Accrington game. He has managed there he has plenty of experience of the conditions faced on Saturday. We had players on the pitch who have also played there regularly.

Cook must have known exactly how Accrington would approach the second half but there was no evidence he prepared the players, tactically, for it.

We have coaching deficiencies, we don’t need extra coaches but we do need more experience.

Cook will find himself out of a job if he doesn’t wise up. Playerwise he has the quality needed, he just needs to make better use of it and prepare better.

He has a chance tomorrow evening but suspect he will duck it and make wholesale changes.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:15 - Oct 4 with 1958 viewsGarv

Overreaction to Saturday? on 12:09 - Oct 4 by Herbivore

The point of sacking Cook would be that he's already spectacularly failed, so give a new manager the season to see what they can do ahead of any tweaks over the summer. We're not there yet but so poor has our start been that we aren't far away.

And let's be real, Accrington wasn't a one off under Cook. It was reminiscent of our other away defeats both this season and last. Our away record under Cook is utterly abysmal.

Last season and this season both come with very different contexts, but I can't argue the overall point about his record.

I'm not sure how you can state that he's 'already spectacularly failed', though. That's just over the top and plain wrong.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024