Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley 17:04 - Oct 4 with 2581 viewspositivity

after a few more promising results and displays.

does anyone think cook should go right now and why?

personally, i think he should have longer (partly because we've sunk so much into building the club around him and getting players to his requirements and who've dropped down a level to play for him, that it'd be peak banter era to then sack him after a quarter of the season)

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 17:23 - Oct 4 with 1960 viewsSwansea_Blue

One promising result. I don’t really care whether he stays or goes, but let’s not gloss over how poorly things are going. If the aim is promotion he’s miles off target so far.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 17:35 - Oct 4 with 1924 viewspositivity

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 17:23 - Oct 4 by Swansea_Blue

One promising result. I don’t really care whether he stays or goes, but let’s not gloss over how poorly things are going. If the aim is promotion he’s miles off target so far.

sorry, didn't explain that well. "more promising" ie more promising than losing to accrington stanley!

it's going poorly, yes, but is it going *so* poorly that we sack cook right now?

not for me, but there was a few saying as much on saturday night, trying to gauge whether that was an understandable kneejerk reaction or whether people are calling for immediate change.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2021 17:35]

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 17:43 - Oct 4 with 1916 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

The club isn't built around him.

I dont think its time for him to go yet, but a few players dropping down a level shouldnt come into the thinking.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:01 - Oct 4 with 1885 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 17:23 - Oct 4 by Swansea_Blue

It's not one promising result though. We won at Lincoln and drew against a decent Sheff Weds.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:10 - Oct 4 with 1864 viewsBlueBadger

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:01 - Oct 4 by The_Flashing_Smile

It's not one promising result though. We won at Lincoln and drew against a decent Sheff Weds.

We have, however had considerably more disappointing results against sides that can be described as ranging between 'piss poor' and 'also rans'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:13 - Oct 4 with 1842 viewspositivity

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:10 - Oct 4 by BlueBadger

We have, however had considerably more disappointing results against sides that can be described as ranging between 'piss poor' and 'also rans'.

get rid now then or keep and see what happens next?

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:14 - Oct 4 with 1844 viewsbraveblue

I think we should get behind him for the full season. Still believe his pedigree and the players brought in will bring success.
we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:16 - Oct 4 with 1813 viewschrismakin

Apart from a couple I still don't believe the majority of this new squad is cooks choice anyway.

Harper. Edwards. Celina. Barry. Fraser.... these have Ashton all over it. They don't suit PCs style. ( they do fit the formation but as per fraser usage... not to cooks taste)

Piggott... a lone striker?

No we don't have a recruitment team. And I know it was 'said' that pc would be involved... but he was not in a position to decline players after getting rid of last year's squad.

He missed out on a few ex Wigan players too who you'd imagine were on his prime target list.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2021 18:20]

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Login to get fewer ads

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:19 - Oct 4 with 1815 viewsBlueBadger

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:13 - Oct 4 by positivity

get rid now then or keep and see what happens next?

Essentially, I'm not in favour of getting rid RIGHT NOW, but I can't say as I'd be overly upset if he went tomorrow.

For me, he's got the next three fixtures before I hit Roy Keane Event Horizon. Main reason I'm holding off is his past rep.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2021 18:19]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:25 - Oct 4 with 1773 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:10 - Oct 4 by BlueBadger

I haven't denied that. I was just countering Swansea who said we've only had one promising result.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:32 - Oct 4 with 1743 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:16 - Oct 4 by chrismakin

Apart from a couple I still don't believe the majority of this new squad is cooks choice anyway.

Harper. Edwards. Celina. Barry. Fraser.... these have Ashton all over it. They don't suit PCs style. ( they do fit the formation but as per fraser usage... not to cooks taste)

No we don't have a recruitment team. And I know it was 'said' that pc would be involved... but he was not in a position to decline players after getting rid of last year's squad.

He missed out on a few ex Wigan players too who you'd imagine were on his prime target list.

Most managers don't dictate signings these days.

Having said that, Cook was the envy of 99% of the managers in L1 this season.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2021 18:32]

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:33 - Oct 4 with 1736 viewsChurchman

It’s more than a disappointing loss. We couldn’t compete on the basics. Two wins in ten bumping along in the relegation zone. It’s where we belong at the moment but it’s not acceptable.

End of October before we look elsewhere for me. I really hope he can get a grip and get this lot playing. I very much doubt that will happen, but you never know.
we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:36 - Oct 4 with 1709 viewschrismakin

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:32 - Oct 4 by Marshalls_Mullet

Most managers don't dictate signings these days.

Having said that, Cook was the envy of 99% of the managers in L1 this season.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2021 18:32]

The squad available is crazy

But it deserves so much more than 1 set formation.

The strange thing is PC even said there's a way to beat a team who have men behind the ball and that's with 2 strikers on the pitch. Yet we've barely seen it

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:57 - Oct 4 with 1687 viewsitfcjoe

He’s got 10 points from 10 games, and we’ve not played any team in the top 5 as yet (have played MK who are 6th)

If he were to be sacked he couldn’t have any complaints - I think he’ll get a few more games as a managerial overhaul now is the last thing we all want to see - but it won’t be far off of things don’t improve a lot and quickly

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 19:17 - Oct 4 with 1564 viewsRadlett_blue

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:57 - Oct 4 by itfcjoe

He’s got 10 points from 10 games, and we’ve not played any team in the top 5 as yet (have played MK who are 6th)

If he were to be sacked he couldn’t have any complaints - I think he’ll get a few more games as a managerial overhaul now is the last thing we all want to see - but it won’t be far off of things don’t improve a lot and quickly

Indeed, we're clutching at straws because we want Cook & his expensive squad to succeed. The longer we go on averaging one point a game, plus 2 hugely embarrassing cup defeats, the less tenable his position becomes. It is worth pointing out that this desperate run has come from games against the poorer sides in this league so let's please stop biggin up the opposition.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 20:37 - Oct 4 with 1399 viewsreusersfreekicks

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 18:16 - Oct 4 by chrismakin

That must be why he keeps going on thanking the owners and Ashton for the players - cos he didn't want them
we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 20:44 - Oct 4 with 1374 viewschrismakin

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 20:37 - Oct 4 by reusersfreekicks

That must be why he keeps going on thanking the owners and Ashton for the players - cos he didn't want them

Tbh he's hardly going to come out and say " Great signings, not what I personally would have wanted, but good players anyway"

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 20:50 - Oct 4 with 1360 viewspointofblue

Sorry, as I’m not sure if you mean it this way, but it feels like any excuse to avoid pointing the finger at Cook. First it was last year’s squad not being fit for purpose. This year doesn’t meet is very narrow specifications. The expectation when he took over would he would manage to get last year’s squad - something like one point off sixth when he took charge for the first time - into the play offs. He failed miserably. The expectation this year was to be more that competitive with a squad that should be the envy of the league - despite a degree of improvement post losing to West Ham’s academy, he is failing miserably.

Minimum of ten points from the next five. If or when that isn’t achievable he should walk and, if he refuses to, be shown the door. And if he fails at that, we keep him on, and he turns it around then I will happily eat my words.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 20:55 - Oct 4 with 1345 viewsreusersfreekicks

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 20:44 - Oct 4 by chrismakin

Tbh he's hardly going to come out and say " Great signings, not what I personally would have wanted, but good players anyway"

Maybe not but he has gone ott the other way repeatedly thanking everyone possible.
So i think your claim is wrong and more excuses for rubbish performances
we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 20:57 - Oct 4 with 1328 viewschrismakin

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 20:50 - Oct 4 by pointofblue

Sorry, as I’m not sure if you mean it this way, but it feels like any excuse to avoid pointing the finger at Cook. First it was last year’s squad not being fit for purpose. This year doesn’t meet is very narrow specifications. The expectation when he took over would he would manage to get last year’s squad - something like one point off sixth when he took charge for the first time - into the play offs. He failed miserably. The expectation this year was to be more that competitive with a squad that should be the envy of the league - despite a degree of improvement post losing to West Ham’s academy, he is failing miserably.

Minimum of ten points from the next five. If or when that isn’t achievable he should walk and, if he refuses to, be shown the door. And if he fails at that, we keep him on, and he turns it around then I will happily eat my words.

Oh no, not at all, PC;s fked it up, big time

My point was the squad itself is not being used to it's best ability and this falls firmly at the managers door.

Regarding who's signed them, my reasoning for mentioning it is based on the OP and the thought of players signing for cook, Granted there maybe 1 or 2, but I personally wouldn't see many others feeling to sad if a change was made due to the squad not being used correctly.

We've got 3 strikers with the potential of 20+ goals each, we have the best AM in the league constantly played on the left and we have Celina better on the left, being put in the middle. Chaplin, I couldn't even tell you what sort of player he is as he doesn't seem to have an actual role here which is crazy considering he played 31 games for Champ club Charlton last year. etc

We seem to have 19 players with no specific purpose. Which i've never understood as PC is very open with the fact he has 1 formation, 1 style yet the signings don't match that. It's then his job to make the most of the players he's given, and that is a 4/4/2, 3/5/2, it quite simply does not deserve to be a 4 2 3 1

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 21:01 - Oct 4 with 1312 viewschrismakin

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 20:55 - Oct 4 by reusersfreekicks

Maybe not but he has gone ott the other way repeatedly thanking everyone possible.
So i think your claim is wrong and more excuses for rubbish performances

I think the OTT of thanks is more playing up to the fans tbh about the support, and when you've made a point of getting rid of such an amount of players, you'd better thank the board for doing it's best to sort the situation out.

And btw, it's not an excuse for rubbish performances, it's a reason for a rubbish performance from PC and not moving with the situation and acknowledging exactly what he has at his disposal.

Not many clubs could swap a side around to match a fixture. I.E saturday was a day for Aluko, Norwood, Toto. Bigger players for a match of that type. it wasn't going to be pretty, we didn't need flair.

Then when you can express yourself, you then have Fraser, Celina, Edwards etc

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 22:44 - Oct 4 with 1191 viewsGeomorph

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 21:01 - Oct 4 by chrismakin

I think the OTT of thanks is more playing up to the fans tbh about the support, and when you've made a point of getting rid of such an amount of players, you'd better thank the board for doing it's best to sort the situation out.

And btw, it's not an excuse for rubbish performances, it's a reason for a rubbish performance from PC and not moving with the situation and acknowledging exactly what he has at his disposal.

Not many clubs could swap a side around to match a fixture. I.E saturday was a day for Aluko, Norwood, Toto. Bigger players for a match of that type. it wasn't going to be pretty, we didn't need flair.

Then when you can express yourself, you then have Fraser, Celina, Edwards etc

It was a sh1t performance in a sh1t game in the pissing rain. However I have seen town succumb to exactly the same issues in the north time and time again over the last 5 decades.. it’s nowt new. Think as someone has said give him till at least end of month then if not cutting it by then he should be on his way… then again a win on sat would be 10 from last 5 which would at least feel like the start of an oil tanker turning. All depressing though
we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 09:37 - Oct 5 with 1054 viewspositivity

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 22:44 - Oct 4 by Geomorph

It was a sh1t performance in a sh1t game in the pissing rain. However I have seen town succumb to exactly the same issues in the north time and time again over the last 5 decades.. it’s nowt new. Think as someone has said give him till at least end of month then if not cutting it by then he should be on his way… then again a win on sat would be 10 from last 5 which would at least feel like the start of an oil tanker turning. All depressing though

i'm pretty much with you on that, though in reality, i think it's difficult to see him surviving that long if we lose to the shrews and cam u.

it seems that nobody wants him out right now anyway, which wasn't the feeling i was getting on saturday night...

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 09:45 - Oct 5 with 1022 viewsElephantintheRoom

Doesn't really matter what you and I think does it? The debt pedallers put ihim in on the advice of O'Leary and Ashton whilst the deal was being finalised - and they took the adivce of all three in destroying what they had bought and starting again - so I suspect they are in it toether for as long as the spreadsheet and powerpoint presentation holds with the duped bloke in Ohio.

All involved were very careful to pretend they were in it for the long haul,whilst greatly overestimating their own abilities, so it's daft to expect any changes this season unless near relegation form coalesces into real relegation form. As you say many of the Cookster's duds are here because of him - so to sack him would make a comical and chaotic situation considerably worse.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 11:11 - Oct 5 with 944 viewspositivity

we've just had a disappointing loss to accrington stanley on 09:45 - Oct 5 by ElephantintheRoom

Doesn't really matter what you and I think does it? The debt pedallers put ihim in on the advice of O'Leary and Ashton whilst the deal was being finalised - and they took the adivce of all three in destroying what they had bought and starting again - so I suspect they are in it toether for as long as the spreadsheet and powerpoint presentation holds with the duped bloke in Ohio.

All involved were very careful to pretend they were in it for the long haul,whilst greatly overestimating their own abilities, so it's daft to expect any changes this season unless near relegation form coalesces into real relegation form. As you say many of the Cookster's duds are here because of him - so to sack him would make a comical and chaotic situation considerably worse.

it does matter though, if we stop going or stop buying merch or there's mass dissatisfaction with cook then that affects the owners even if you take the doomy view that the *only* reason they're interested is for the money

however, it seems that there isn't any serious groundswell saying get rid now(at least on here)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024