Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The aim this year was/is automatic promotion 21:04 - Oct 4 with 4770 viewsreusersfreekicks

So says Phil, Stuart Watson. And be honest the owners and management expect this too.
We have 2 teams worth of quality players many of whom other clubs in the league would love.
So let's stop spouting nonsense about gelling the season only starting when Morsey arrived, the players not being Cook's preference.
Let's just get real and see the season thus far for what it is - a disaster and a massive disappointment
[Post edited 4 Oct 2021 21:05]
The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 21:08 - Oct 4 with 2868 viewsblueysbackside

Anyone fancy a pint?
The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 21:11 - Oct 4 with 2848 viewsgtsb1966

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 21:08 - Oct 4 by blueysbackside

Anyone fancy a pint?

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 22:13 - Oct 4 with 2689 viewsBurns7

We've had 2 player from that massive influx standout as better than anyone in the previous 2 seasons and one of which isn't ours. I think we are massively over rating a few of these players.
The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 22:14 - Oct 4 with 2677 viewsIllinoisblue

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 22:13 - Oct 4 by Burns7

We've had 2 player from that massive influx standout as better than anyone in the previous 2 seasons and one of which isn't ours. I think we are massively over rating a few of these players.

Examples, please

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 22:22 - Oct 4 with 2646 viewsDarth_Koont

So far it is a disappointment.

But if we’re getting real, then a club that can only accept promotion this season especially with a completely new squad doesn’t understand the league we’re in.

There’s got to be degrees of success and failure in this, and a long-term plan, or we’re screwed. Spending sh/tloads on players and then demanding immediate success is the sort of thing I’ve associated with Derby recently and Notts County back in the day

Pronouns: He/Him

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 03:05 - Oct 5 with 2470 viewsIllinoisblue

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 22:22 - Oct 4 by Darth_Koont

But if we’re getting real, then a club that can only accept promotion this season especially with a completely new squad doesn’t understand the league we’re in.

There’s got to be degrees of success and failure in this, and a long-term plan, or we’re screwed. Spending sh/tloads on players and then demanding immediate success is the sort of thing I’ve associated with Derby recently and Notts County back in the day

I’m not demanding immediate success, I just expect us to be competitive in Division 3 - on a budget that’s literally ten times bigger than some of our rivals.

But here we are getting bullied and beaten by Cheltenham’s long throws and agricultural Accrington. We don’t like it up us, do we?

For the third season running we are an embarrassment in the third tier. It’s not fooking good enough. Cook’s dug himself a very big hole.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 07:37 - Oct 5 with 2332 viewstextbackup

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 22:13 - Oct 4 by Burns7

everyone we've brought in are better than what we had.
possibly downes the only question mark, however his head was shot to pieces, so pointless him being here

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 07:51 - Oct 5 with 2300 viewsjayessess

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 22:22 - Oct 4 by Darth_Koont

Derby County had the 6th largest budget in the Championship and finished 6th or higher in 4 seasons out of 6 post-Mel Morris' investment. First season of that run they finished 5th. They got what they paid for.

Getting real also involves understanding what a failure it is to consistently lose to teams with a fraction of your budget.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 07:57 - Oct 5 with 2279 viewsHerbivore

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 07:51 - Oct 5 by jayessess

Derby County had the 6th largest budget in the Championship and finished 6th or higher in 4 seasons out of 6 post-Mel Morris' investment. First season of that run they finished 5th. They got what they paid for.

Getting real also involves understanding what a failure it is to consistently lose to teams with a fraction of your budget.

Indeed. And as for understanding the league we're in, many of us understand perfectly well that high player turnover is the norm at this level and that plenty of sides make vast changes to their squad every summer and don't then spend a quarter of the season underachieving whilst their fans make all the excuses under the sun as to why. There is no excuse for not competing for promotion and at present we are miles away from managing that.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 08:22 - Oct 5 with 2218 viewspeterleeblue

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 03:05 - Oct 5 by Illinoisblue

I’m not demanding immediate success, I just expect us to be competitive in Division 3 - on a budget that’s literally ten times bigger than some of our rivals.

But here we are getting bullied and beaten by Cheltenham’s long throws and agricultural Accrington. We don’t like it up us, do we?

For the third season running we are an embarrassment in the third tier. It’s not fooking good enough. Cook’s dug himself a very big hole.

Absolutely this.

I would be demanding mid table with a developing style at home and the ability to battle and go toe to toe with the divisions more physical sides. Oh and a cup win sometime would be nice.

I am not sure Ashtons sprint down to the away end at Lincoln has done anything other than accentuate our Billy Big B*****ks persona to all and sundry and served as an additional motivator to our competitors.

What's surprising is Cook knows all about this division and the work rate required to be competitive. It doesn't need Liam Richardson to explain it. Its all rather baffling. But once again like the start of the Evans Era we are literally squandering our financial advantage by the week.
The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 08:23 - Oct 5 with 2217 viewsitfcjoe

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 07:57 - Oct 5 by Herbivore

Indeed. And as for understanding the league we're in, many of us understand perfectly well that high player turnover is the norm at this level and that plenty of sides make vast changes to their squad every summer and don't then spend a quarter of the season underachieving whilst their fans make all the excuses under the sun as to why. There is no excuse for not competing for promotion and at present we are miles away from managing that.

We also picked off many teams in this leagues best player to weaken them as well - AFC Wimbledon, MK Dons, Fleetwood - could even be argued Accrington with Burgess and took Wigan's starting centre midfielder from them

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 08:25 - Oct 5 with 2200 viewsHerbivore

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 08:23 - Oct 5 by itfcjoe

We also picked off many teams in this leagues best player to weaken them as well - AFC Wimbledon, MK Dons, Fleetwood - could even be argued Accrington with Burgess and took Wigan's starting centre midfielder from them

Yep. Then add in a smattering of signings good enough to start in the Championship, which applies to Harper, Edmundson, Morsy, Chaplin, Walton, and Celina at the very least, and there is absolutely no excuse for how poorly we're doing. The notion that this season is okay to be a transitional one is complete nonsense and utterly detached from reality.

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 08:31 - Oct 5 with 2191 viewstextbackup

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 08:25 - Oct 5 by Herbivore

Yep. Then add in a smattering of signings good enough to start in the Championship, which applies to Harper, Edmundson, Morsy, Chaplin, Walton, and Celina at the very least, and there is absolutely no excuse for how poorly we're doing. The notion that this season is okay to be a transitional one is complete nonsense and utterly detached from reality.

what do you put it down to, as to why we are where we currently are?

what would you do/have done differnet?

and how, in your opinion, does PC turn this situation better?

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 08:36 - Oct 5 with 2178 viewsHerbivore

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 08:31 - Oct 5 by textbackup

what do you put it down to, as to why we are where we currently are?

what would you do/have done differnet?

and how, in your opinion, does PC turn this situation better?

No idea, not being at the club day to day. What worries me is many of the failings we've seen this season are similar to the failings we saw last year. Too easily bullied away from home, too slow in using the ball for long periods, going long to an isolated striker at times. We've got almost an entirely new squad, which we all agree is better on paper, and yet the same issues persist. Is it a coaching issue? A motivation issue? A bit of both? Hard to say without knowing what's happening without being close to it, but something doesn't feel right. When you look at how Leam Richardson is going at Wigan it does make you wonder.

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 08:38 - Oct 5 with 2171 viewshype313

Maybe, after all the laughs, we're actually turning into the League One Derby...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 08:39 - Oct 5 with 2170 viewsjayessess

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 08:38 - Oct 5 by hype313

Maybe, after all the laughs, we're actually turning into the League One Derby...

We wish. Derby were actually achieving league finishes roughly in line with their means.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 09:03 - Oct 5 with 2089 viewsWickets

Hard to argue with you .
The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 09:31 - Oct 5 with 2021 viewsDarth_Koont

Agreed. And with Illy above who made a similar point.

If results and our league position don’t improve dramatically then Cook will be gone sooner rather than later. I’m purely questioning this all or nothing target for the season.

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 09:38 - Oct 5 with 1995 viewsEly_Blue

Point of order it’s Morsy

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 09:41 - Oct 5 with 1988 viewsHerbivore

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 09:31 - Oct 5 by Darth_Koont

Agreed. And with Illy above who made a similar point.

If results and our league position don’t improve dramatically then Cook will be gone sooner rather than later. I’m purely questioning this all or nothing target for the season.

It's not all or nothing in the sense that we aren't going to go bust if we don't go up. It's the pretending that promotion wasn't the target this season that is rather bizarre. This was never about having a transitional season, we've invested heavily to put together a squad to get us out of this league. The playing down of expectations in some quarters is very odd.

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 09:45 - Oct 5 with 1971 viewsDarth_Koont

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 09:41 - Oct 5 by Herbivore

It's not all or nothing in the sense that we aren't going to go bust if we don't go up. It's the pretending that promotion wasn't the target this season that is rather bizarre. This was never about having a transitional season, we've invested heavily to put together a squad to get us out of this league. The playing down of expectations in some quarters is very odd.

I agree it was the target. What I’m reacting to is the idea that Cook goes if we miss that target this season, no matter what.

Then he might as well go now. And then give the new guy a slim chance of doing it before he gets canned.

I think there is some context, that’s all. And the underlying, more long-term goal for building the team up and eventually reaching the Prem is one of continuous improvement and upward mobility.

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 09:48 - Oct 5 with 1951 viewsHerbivore

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 09:45 - Oct 5 by Darth_Koont

I agree it was the target. What I’m reacting to is the idea that Cook goes if we miss that target this season, no matter what.

Then he might as well go now. And then give the new guy a slim chance of doing it before he gets canned.

I think there is some context, that’s all. And the underlying, more long-term goal for building the team up and eventually reaching the Prem is one of continuous improvement and upward mobility.

I think the only scenario in which he doesn't go is if we hit automatic promotion form for the rest of the season but run out of time to really challenge the top 2 and then miss out in the play offs through some poor fortune. Even that is a failure but one with perhaps enough mitigating circumstances to give him another year. I don't see a scenario in which we miss out on or scrape into the play offs and fail where he keeps his job.

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 09:52 - Oct 5 with 1932 viewsDarth_Koont

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 09:48 - Oct 5 by Herbivore

I think the only scenario in which he doesn't go is if we hit automatic promotion form for the rest of the season but run out of time to really challenge the top 2 and then miss out in the play offs through some poor fortune. Even that is a failure but one with perhaps enough mitigating circumstances to give him another year. I don't see a scenario in which we miss out on or scrape into the play offs and fail where he keeps his job.

I agree with that. We need to turn around results now and be the best (or among the very best sides) in the division over the second half of the season. That *should* put us into the play-offs comfortably anyway.

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 09:55 - Oct 5 with 1919 viewsElephantintheRoom

I did't realise that the season finished in early October?

This season has been a tad disappointing for those with unrealistic expectations coupled with a very short memory to blank out what happened under Cookie last season. But hey it's a marathon not a sprint - and whilst the shiny new brooms were apparently not very interested in the play-offs last season, I suspect they are this season.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

The aim this year was/is automatic promotion on 10:19 - Oct 5 with 1861 viewsChrisd

We haven't finished the season yet, we are 10 games in and if we finish in the top 6 and then get promoted, then haven't we got what we paid for? I agree it doesn't look good at the moment, but I still want to give PC this month's fixtures to see if he can pull it all together. Sides with smaller budgets are allowed to beat sides that spend more heavily, it happens on a weekly basis in leagues across the globe - look at PSG at the weekend. When I was growing up Manchester United were the big spenders with Ron Atkinson as their manager, but they never won the league during that time. Look at our game on Saturday, Accrington didn't have better players than us, they had players that wanted it more and had more heart and desire to win that game - you can't buy that I'm afraid.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 11:34]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024