Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night 14:23 - Oct 5 with 2008 viewsKeno

very interesting

Blair looked like very slimey lying tory when trying not to answer the question about the deal with Brown.

Kier Starmer is more 'Brown' than Blair and I dont think Labour have anyone with the 'charisma' of Blair at the moment

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 15:59 - Oct 5 with 1625 viewsJ2BLUE

Labour should start by finding some with some sort of personality. Jess Phillips would be good.

I wanted Starmer to win the leadership contest but he's been awful. Really has managed to limbo under the bar.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 16:05 - Oct 5 with 1619 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 15:59 - Oct 5 by J2BLUE

Labour should start by finding some with some sort of personality. Jess Phillips would be good.

I wanted Starmer to win the leadership contest but he's been awful. Really has managed to limbo under the bar.

Please no to Jess Phillips. Anyone who cosies up to Rees Mogg to get her face on telly shouldn't even be in the Labour Party. She is much more interested in being a celebrity than being a politician.

Andy Burnham rejoining the PLP would be handy. There is a distinct lack of talent in Parliament, for both parties.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 16:05]

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 16:11 - Oct 5 with 1599 viewsKeno

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 16:05 - Oct 5 by TRUE_BLUE123

Please no to Jess Phillips. Anyone who cosies up to Rees Mogg to get her face on telly shouldn't even be in the Labour Party. She is much more interested in being a celebrity than being a politician.

Andy Burnham rejoining the PLP would be handy. There is a distinct lack of talent in Parliament, for both parties.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 16:05]

Andy Burnham couldn’t be as underwhelming as starmer, and I’m not sure about Phillips

Lammy is a thought

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 16:14 - Oct 5 with 1591 viewstractordownsouth

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 16:11 - Oct 5 by Keno

Andy Burnham couldn’t be as underwhelming as starmer, and I’m not sure about Phillips

Lammy is a thought

I like David Lammy and he's good in the justice brief. but I don't think he's leadership material, he's a little too gaffe prone

Andy Burnham would be a decent leader, although I've gone off him with the way he's not so subtly trying to position himself for the role.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 16:17 - Oct 5 with 1584 viewstractordownsouth

I've watched 2 of the 5 episodes so far and I'm slowly making my way through the rest of them. I've found Brown much easier to warm to whenever he's been on TV but it's hard to deny how electorally successful and intelligent Blair was - his analysis of the public mood in the 1990s was bang on.

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 17:09 - Oct 5 with 1543 viewsTJS

Labour took a massive wrong turn for me when they chose Ed Miliband over David.
I still think he would have made a great prime minister.
Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 17:19 - Oct 5 with 1528 viewstractordownsouth

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 17:09 - Oct 5 by TJS

I'm not sure it was so much the person but more that Ed spent his leadership telling the country that the previous Labour government was rubbish and then was surprised that they didn't vote for another one in 2015.

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 17:33 - Oct 5 with 1495 viewsTJS

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 17:19 - Oct 5 by tractordownsouth

I'm not sure it was so much the person but more that Ed spent his leadership telling the country that the previous Labour government was rubbish and then was surprised that they didn't vote for another one in 2015.

I think David would have been way more capable of doing business in Washington and Brussels than Ed or anyone else for that matter.
Login to get fewer ads

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 17:55 - Oct 5 with 1469 viewspositivity

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 17:09 - Oct 5 by TJS

if it's "charisma", that's the key factor, david would be much worse than ed.

if anything, they chose the wrong ed...

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 18:13 - Oct 5 with 1447 viewsDarth_Koont

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 17:19 - Oct 5 by tractordownsouth

The previous Labour government had shed millions of voters from 1997 and was losing Scotland even before the Indy Ref. Ed wasn’t wrong.

He was on a hiding to nothing that election. But a move back to the centre-right would have gone even worse.

Pronouns: He/Him

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 19:59 - Oct 5 with 1390 viewsEdwardStone

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 17:55 - Oct 5 by positivity

if it's "charisma", that's the key factor, david would be much worse than ed.

if anything, they chose the wrong ed...

Balls
Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 20:21 - Oct 5 with 1345 viewsRyorry

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 17:33 - Oct 5 by TJS

I think David would have been way more capable of doing business in Washington and Brussels than Ed or anyone else for that matter.

Didn't he say he didn't want the gig?

As did Andy Burnham iirc, so if he's angling for it now, I'd be pleased - he's the only hope Labour have of uniting both "sides" of Labour imho, amongst both members and voters old & new; and thus presents the best chance of GTTO. Has shown he's capable via his current job. I'd have liked Lisa Nandy, but for her Brexit stance.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 21:05 - Oct 5 with 1279 viewsEdwardStone

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 19:59 - Oct 5 by EdwardStone

Balls

I've always wanted to post that

Homage to a certain Village Green Poster
Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 21:08 - Oct 5 with 1270 viewsRyorry

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 21:05 - Oct 5 by EdwardStone

I've always wanted to post that

Homage to a certain Village Green Poster

Your one comment using it was about 100 times wittier than the dozens of occasions (cumulative) when he used it tho.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 00:19 - Oct 6 with 1180 viewstractordownsouth

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 18:13 - Oct 5 by Darth_Koont

The previous Labour government had shed millions of voters from 1997 and was losing Scotland even before the Indy Ref. Ed wasn’t wrong.

He was on a hiding to nothing that election. But a move back to the centre-right would have gone even worse.

I know the SNP were in government at Holyrood by then but In 2010 the Labour vote in Scotland actually increased, despite a bad election UK wide, so I don't think that's fair to pin on Brown. Miliband got outflanked by everybody (SNP on spending, Tories on deficit cutting and UKIP on immigration) because he tried to be all things to all men. Had he offered positive vision for the future alongside praise for the Labour Party's past record, he could have done well. Instead, all he did was reinforce the false narrative of Labour crashing the economy and never fought back on it. It's near impossible for a party to win by trashing its own record, the last 3 elections are proof of that.

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 00:49 - Oct 6 with 1169 viewsbournemouthblue

There hasn't been a politician on either side as capable as Blair for a long time

If it wasn't for the Iraq war, he'd probably still be popular in fairness

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 04:25 - Oct 6 with 1123 viewsgalacticoblue

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 00:49 - Oct 6 by bournemouthblue

There hasn't been a politician on either side as capable as Blair for a long time

If it wasn't for the Iraq war, he'd probably still be popular in fairness

The Iraq war, that small hiccup!

Tbf voted for him once as ‘things could only get better’ but he got overconfident and slippery.
Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 07:52 - Oct 6 with 1025 viewsHerbivore

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 00:19 - Oct 6 by tractordownsouth

I know the SNP were in government at Holyrood by then but In 2010 the Labour vote in Scotland actually increased, despite a bad election UK wide, so I don't think that's fair to pin on Brown. Miliband got outflanked by everybody (SNP on spending, Tories on deficit cutting and UKIP on immigration) because he tried to be all things to all men. Had he offered positive vision for the future alongside praise for the Labour Party's past record, he could have done well. Instead, all he did was reinforce the false narrative of Labour crashing the economy and never fought back on it. It's near impossible for a party to win by trashing its own record, the last 3 elections are proof of that.

Not sure on the last point, one of the biggest tricks Johnson has pulled is to pitch his Tory party as a party of change despite them being in government for a decade. He's done a great job of saying the country is broken and he's the man to fix it whilst somehow not taking any responsibility for the ten years his party spent breaking it. Of course it helps when you have a pathetic, compliant media helping you sell the narrative, but if you get the narrative right it seems you can trash your party's record so long as you also tell people what they want to hear and pitch yourself as an alternative despite being more of the same old sh!t.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 07:57 - Oct 6 with 1022 viewsDarth_Koont

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 00:19 - Oct 6 by tractordownsouth

A little too much revisionism there. You seem to think in terms of Labour only when the context was a Labour vote that was still propped up by the deepening unpopularity of the Tories. To an extent that also propped up the LibDem vote too.

But the appetite for a genuine alternative was there with the SNP and all it needed was the No referendum campaign to release that. And perversely to boost the Conservatives as the Unionist opposition because Labour was essentially down to its hardcore support by that stage.

Brown himself admitted that more should have been done on Labour’s watch to address regional inequalities. So instead of pointing the finger at Miliband and saying he was trashing the previous Labour record, perhaps getting real and promising to do better is still the answer in Scotland? And something I doubt that Labour will manage because they’re now trying to replicate the strategy against the Tories and position themselves as “better than the SNP”. That’s not looking inspiring or serious enough south of the border let alone north of the border where it’s not even credible.

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 08:05 - Oct 6 with 1009 viewsDarth_Koont

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 07:52 - Oct 6 by Herbivore

Not sure on the last point, one of the biggest tricks Johnson has pulled is to pitch his Tory party as a party of change despite them being in government for a decade. He's done a great job of saying the country is broken and he's the man to fix it whilst somehow not taking any responsibility for the ten years his party spent breaking it. Of course it helps when you have a pathetic, compliant media helping you sell the narrative, but if you get the narrative right it seems you can trash your party's record so long as you also tell people what they want to hear and pitch yourself as an alternative despite being more of the same old sh!t.

Indeed. There’s that too.

The Labour right have snookered themselves by wanting to push the line that a return to the Labour governments is what the country really needs. Yes, it would probably be better than what the current Tory government is like in reality – but it comes across as less hopeful, less forward-thinking and less of a challenge to the status quo than BoJo as a sitting PM even if it’s just bluster.

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 08:14 - Oct 6 with 990 viewstractordownsouth

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 07:57 - Oct 6 by Darth_Koont

A little too much revisionism there. You seem to think in terms of Labour only when the context was a Labour vote that was still propped up by the deepening unpopularity of the Tories. To an extent that also propped up the LibDem vote too.

But the appetite for a genuine alternative was there with the SNP and all it needed was the No referendum campaign to release that. And perversely to boost the Conservatives as the Unionist opposition because Labour was essentially down to its hardcore support by that stage.

Brown himself admitted that more should have been done on Labour’s watch to address regional inequalities. So instead of pointing the finger at Miliband and saying he was trashing the previous Labour record, perhaps getting real and promising to do better is still the answer in Scotland? And something I doubt that Labour will manage because they’re now trying to replicate the strategy against the Tories and position themselves as “better than the SNP”. That’s not looking inspiring or serious enough south of the border let alone north of the border where it’s not even credible.

A better future prospectus and defending the party’s past aren’t mutually exclusive, they should both be a given.

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 08:26 - Oct 6 with 979 viewsDarth_Koont

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 08:14 - Oct 6 by tractordownsouth

A better future prospectus and defending the party’s past aren’t mutually exclusive, they should both be a given.

That nostalgia for the Blair years and a modest platform of a little tinkering plays well with Centrist Dads and the ageing Dunts and O’Briens of the commentariat.

Feels woefully inadequate for anyone who, unlike the above, is on the wrong side of regional, socioeconomic, age, ethnic and home-owning gaps. Or really anyone who’s looking at the real world and the challenges we’re either failing to address or ignoring as they loom on the horizon.

It’s weak in both political style and material substance.

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 08:26 - Oct 6 with 977 viewstractordownsouth

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 07:52 - Oct 6 by Herbivore

I agree, Johnson’s distanced himself from the Tories but that was through not mentioning it rather than saying “we got it wrong” like Miliband constantly did. I can barely remember a mention of the coalition or Theresa May’s government in the 2019 election. Instead, Johnson tried to create a positive vision of Brexit and more investment (which of course is bollox) and focused more of his campaign on attacking Labour. For example, in the Hartlepool by-election he painted the successive Labour MPs in the town as the establishment rather than Tory government. There’s also that clip of Priti Patel blaming Labour councils when asked about poverty figures. They distanced themselves from their previous positions but didn’t explicitly trash them.

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 08:29 - Oct 6 with 958 viewsHerbivore

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 08:26 - Oct 6 by tractordownsouth

I agree, Johnson’s distanced himself from the Tories but that was through not mentioning it rather than saying “we got it wrong” like Miliband constantly did. I can barely remember a mention of the coalition or Theresa May’s government in the 2019 election. Instead, Johnson tried to create a positive vision of Brexit and more investment (which of course is bollox) and focused more of his campaign on attacking Labour. For example, in the Hartlepool by-election he painted the successive Labour MPs in the town as the establishment rather than Tory government. There’s also that clip of Priti Patel blaming Labour councils when asked about poverty figures. They distanced themselves from their previous positions but didn’t explicitly trash them.

I'd argue it was there implicitly though, lots of "for too long in this country we've......" whether that was underfunding police, the NHS, social care, whether it was falling living standards, huge regional inequalities. Granted they didn't explicitly say that it was their fault but they trashed their own record in government probably more than Labour did in the lead up to the GE in 2019 and somehow much of the public bought it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 08:34 - Oct 6 with 943 viewstractordownsouth

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 08:26 - Oct 6 by Darth_Koont

That nostalgia for the Blair years and a modest platform of a little tinkering plays well with Centrist Dads and the ageing Dunts and O’Briens of the commentariat.

Feels woefully inadequate for anyone who, unlike the above, is on the wrong side of regional, socioeconomic, age, ethnic and home-owning gaps. Or really anyone who’s looking at the real world and the challenges we’re either failing to address or ignoring as they loom on the horizon.

It’s weak in both political style and material substance.

I don’t think that a 1997-esque platform is enough for today, it needs to be more ambitious as the issues of climate and housing in particular are worse today. it’s just it seems bizarre that party leaders didn’t talk up the achievements of the good stuff that happened.

Oh and on the topic of the SNP above, who do you think will be the leader when Nicola’s gone? I’m still a strong unionist but I was listening to Angus Robertson on the Matt Forde political party podcast yesterday and I was quite impressed with how he spoke. I always found him to be a much better communicator than Ian Blackford. I think the SNP support is quite tribal because it’s supported by the independence vote but there’s a possibility they might have a wobble whenever Sturgeon leaves as despite her views she is an effective political operator and I don’t see anyone on her level. The way the party is structured seems very based around her and Blackford (not dissimilar to New Labour.)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024