Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night 14:23 - Oct 5 with 2003 viewsKeno

very interesting

Blair looked like very slimey lying tory when trying not to answer the question about the deal with Brown.

Kier Starmer is more 'Brown' than Blair and I dont think Labour have anyone with the 'charisma' of Blair at the moment

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 08:40 - Oct 6 with 245 viewstractordownsouth

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 08:29 - Oct 6 by Herbivore

I'd argue it was there implicitly though, lots of "for too long in this country we've......" whether that was underfunding police, the NHS, social care, whether it was falling living standards, huge regional inequalities. Granted they didn't explicitly say that it was their fault but they trashed their own record in government probably more than Labour did in the lead up to the GE in 2019 and somehow much of the public bought it.

Cameron, May and Johnson have all been effective at renewing the Tory party without trashing their predecessors - their governments have all had different aims and campaigning strategies, which has prevented the Tories from seeming stale. I think that’s one thing New Labour got wrong - of course Gordon Brown was a victim of circumstance to some extent but equally he’d been at the top of the party for 18 years by 2010 and the manifestos in that period were all broadly similar, so it’s not a surprise the public felt Labour was stale.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 10:05 - Oct 6 with 201 viewsDarth_Koont

Anyone else watch the Blair/Brown prog on BBC2 last night on 08:34 - Oct 6 by tractordownsouth

I don’t think that a 1997-esque platform is enough for today, it needs to be more ambitious as the issues of climate and housing in particular are worse today. it’s just it seems bizarre that party leaders didn’t talk up the achievements of the good stuff that happened.

Oh and on the topic of the SNP above, who do you think will be the leader when Nicola’s gone? I’m still a strong unionist but I was listening to Angus Robertson on the Matt Forde political party podcast yesterday and I was quite impressed with how he spoke. I always found him to be a much better communicator than Ian Blackford. I think the SNP support is quite tribal because it’s supported by the independence vote but there’s a possibility they might have a wobble whenever Sturgeon leaves as despite her views she is an effective political operator and I don’t see anyone on her level. The way the party is structured seems very based around her and Blackford (not dissimilar to New Labour.)

I think that’s the problem though. Labour’s “good record” in government depends on a certain perspective of those who benefited from it and the global upswing in the economy/emergence of new digital and tech opportunities and those who were left behind by it. For me, Labour let too many people down at the same time as it also did things to help a lot of people up. A bit more balls and leadership, and less going with the political, neoliberal and imperialist flow, were needed – and even more so now.

Re: the SNP, genuinely no idea. It’s such a broad church under the Independence banner that it’s more about personality and cooperation than any real ideological driver. That they’ve landed on a social democrat-ish footing is a reflection of Scotland’s political centre of gravity. It is evidently a much more relevant approach for a Northwest European country as well but I think the real political evolution happens when the obstacle of independence is cleared.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024