Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Really good FT Infographic on the environmental impact of electric cars 15:41 - Oct 5 with 561 viewsSteve_M

Should be open to all to read:

https://ig.ft.com/electric-car/

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Really good FT Infographic on the environmental impact of electric cars on 15:45 - Oct 5 with 534 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Cool infographic that.

Can't wait to get my new electric car.
Really good FT Infographic on the environmental impact of electric cars on 15:53 - Oct 5 with 509 viewsSwansea_Blue

A decent basic intro, but shame it doesn't touch on local air quality - that could be the biggest win in the short term. There are quite few roads around now with speed restrictions due to air quality, hotspots of pollution linked to illnesses like asthma, especially in kids, etc. We could vastly improve issues like that in a relatively short space of time (< 5-10 yrs). And by that point I expect by then we'll be seeing decent improvements in efficiency and especially battery storage. there's so much money being spent on battery R&D that something fairly revolutionary is bound to drop out.

I'm still surprised we haven't done more with hydrogen vehicles, but I suppose that's too late. All new development work has been pretty much exclusively electric for a few years and I can't see that changing any time soon.

PS. they could have done a comparison against maintaining an existing car versus buying a new electric one too. Rampant consumerism isn't good for the environment however you dress it up.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 15:54]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Really good FT Infographic on the environmental impact of electric cars on 16:10 - Oct 5 with 464 viewsClapham_Junction

We are changing over our fleet to electric and one of the benefits touched on in that is the reduction in maintenance - not just in parts but also things like oil.

There are lots of other opportunities, as the batteries, particularly those of larger vehicles can be used for powering buildings or events. Councils will be able to hire out electric bin lorries to events held in parks to provide the power supply, then at the end of the event, all the rubbish can be chucked in the back of the lorry and taken back to the waste depot.

The initial carbon impact of EVs can be also reduced by converting older vehicles from petrol/diesel to electric, saving much of the emissions related to the manufacturing of the body of the car, which is often still in decent nick even if the engine is going.

But overall it's a reminder that simply switching from petrol/diesel vehicles to electric ones is not the solution - we need fewer vehicles overall to reduce the supply chain impacts of them. IMO this is one of the key arguments for low traffic neighbourhoods and other traffic reduction measures, as often opponents will say there's no need to do it if everyone switches to EVs.
[Post edited 5 Oct 2021 16:24]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024