Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... 19:53 - Oct 5 with 2914 viewsPippin1970

Never really argue but my son expects to stay at home for 25 pounds a week. Originally agreed at 50 pounds a week. Both my daughters were at Uni but in halls, then houses. Obviously with uni only 5 miles away wanted to stay at home first year. How much did you charge rent for your children?
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 20:02 - Oct 5 with 2603 viewsSarge

How much did you charge them before they went to uni and what’s different now?

As an aside, though I lived away at uni I came back home after graduation for a temporary job for 9 months that paid £800/mo. My mum wouldn’t accept any money towards housekeeping.
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 20:48 - Oct 5 with 2419 viewsOldsmoker

I am your long-lost love child and you should let me live at your house for £25 pw.

The fact that I'm way older than you is a minor detail.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 20:52 - Oct 5 with 2385 viewsitfctilidie

Ill never charge my son to live under my roof regardless of his age and earnings. Just a personal view
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 21:02 - Oct 5 with 2299 viewsKeno

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 20:48 - Oct 5 by Oldsmoker

I am your long-lost love child and you should let me live at your house for £25 pw.

The fact that I'm way older than you is a minor detail.

are you from Norfolk?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 21:06 - Oct 5 with 2273 viewsBasuco

In my opinion, if he is not earning why charge him? Also it will mean he will not need to get the student loan so help him in the longer term.
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 21:09 - Oct 5 with 2259 viewsZXBlue

Hold on- at Uni, no income. Why would you charge them, rather than being happy that they are not requiring rent to be covered by you?
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 21:17 - Oct 5 with 2217 viewsPippin1970

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 20:02 - Oct 5 by Sarge

How much did you charge them before they went to uni and what’s different now?

As an aside, though I lived away at uni I came back home after graduation for a temporary job for 9 months that paid £800/mo. My mum wouldn’t accept any money towards housekeeping.

He has part time job at my place so be getting plenty of money on top.
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 21:18 - Oct 5 with 2214 viewsZXBlue

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 21:17 - Oct 5 by Pippin1970

He has part time job at my place so be getting plenty of money on top.

Uni ought to be a full time thing- but I guess it all depends on how much work and what he is bringing in.

That is the determining factor, rather than what others have charged tbh
Login to get fewer ads

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 21:25 - Oct 5 with 2158 viewsMeadowlark

You should agree a mutually acceptable amount, then put it in a savings account and hand it all back to him when he completes his degree.
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 21:59 - Oct 5 with 2050 viewsTonytown

Nothing, even when they have jobs.
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 22:33 - Oct 5 with 1946 viewsBluespeed225

Got to charge them something, good life lesson. In 81 I payed £5 a week from my £25 YTS wage. However, I do understand that beer was 50p a pint, £1 a week petrol for my scooter, football was £1, coach to Manchester or Stoke was about £2. When my daughter did her apprenticeship we took a tenner, saved it then gave it back to her n completion.
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 04:06 - Oct 6 with 1784 viewsitfctilidie

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 22:33 - Oct 5 by Bluespeed225

Got to charge them something, good life lesson. In 81 I payed £5 a week from my £25 YTS wage. However, I do understand that beer was 50p a pint, £1 a week petrol for my scooter, football was £1, coach to Manchester or Stoke was about £2. When my daughter did her apprenticeship we took a tenner, saved it then gave it back to her n completion.

I paid rent to my parents and I learnt nothing from it - it just decreased my already minimal wage, and actually probably pissed me off more than anything - from that point I vowed to never take anything from my own offspring to live under my roof
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 07:35 - Oct 6 with 1632 viewsHerbivore

Did you pay for your daughters to stay in halls or did they have to fund themselves? If it's the former then your boy is saving you a fortune by staying at home and it'd be harsh to charge him for the privilege.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 07:52 - Oct 6 with 1604 viewsSaleAway

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 07:35 - Oct 6 by Herbivore

Did you pay for your daughters to stay in halls or did they have to fund themselves? If it's the former then your boy is saving you a fortune by staying at home and it'd be harsh to charge him for the privilege.

also, did you charge your daughters when they came home between terms? are you planning to charge your son all year?

Not sure I'm clear why you think you should charge him at all... Is £25 or £50 quid going to make a material difference to your finances, or is it some sort of "life lesson" for your son?

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 07:54 - Oct 6 with 1592 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Each to their own and everybody has their own relationship/circumstances but it’s highly unlikely taking £25 off of him is going to teach him anything. He’ll learn plenty about budgeting in the next few years and probably knows plenty already.
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 07:56 - Oct 6 with 1586 viewsHerbivore

I'd add that it might be better all round to start getting him to buy his own food, toiletries etc., start doing his own cooking. Get him to learn some of the budgeting and independent living skills he'd have to learn if he was living in halls but without making him feel more like a lodger than a son.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 08:19 - Oct 6 with 1536 viewsMookamoo

Child 2 is back this year as he has to do a work placement year (but it is remote due to Covid). Not charging him rent but we have worked out what he needs to he saving so he can support himself for next year. We now have Child 3 at uni too, so this means we are not having to pay for both at the same time.

He does contribute to food shopping, petrol when using car etc, but not basic room and board.
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 08:38 - Oct 6 with 1505 viewsitfcjoe

When I was working in 6th form I gave my parents £60 a month, which was then saved and returned to me when i went to uni - I can't remember if that was always the plan or not.

When I moved back in after uni, I paid the £60 a month again, which basically covered my Sky subscribtion, but that was returned to me when I started saving to buy a house.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 10:31 - Oct 6 with 1342 viewshorsfordblue

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 08:38 - Oct 6 by itfcjoe

When I was working in 6th form I gave my parents £60 a month, which was then saved and returned to me when i went to uni - I can't remember if that was always the plan or not.

When I moved back in after uni, I paid the £60 a month again, which basically covered my Sky subscribtion, but that was returned to me when I started saving to buy a house.

Both mine live at home and go to the UEA, i charge them nothing , Eldest now doing a placement year locally, he pays £200 a month and i'm sticking that in an ISA and he will get that back when he buys a place..
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 10:41 - Oct 6 with 1326 viewsN2_Blue

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 07:54 - Oct 6 by PrideOfTheEast

Each to their own and everybody has their own relationship/circumstances but it’s highly unlikely taking £25 off of him is going to teach him anything. He’ll learn plenty about budgeting in the next few years and probably knows plenty already.

Completely disagree.

I wouldn't ask for anything unless they are earning so probably not while they are a uni student, but after that definitely would ask them to contribute.

After uni i lived at home for a year and my mum asked me for rent to cover food as much as anything. £180 a month but this was 2002.

I didn't begrudge it at all and it immediately taught me how to manage money a bit better knowing if i did get things wrong an was short one month it wouldn't be a landlord or bailiff at the front door.

I've always managed my money well despite having times of being on very little and having to carefully budget and think paying my parents rent helped with this as part of my first budgeting because I certainly didn't do it very well at uni!
[Post edited 6 Oct 2021 10:41]

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 10:47 - Oct 6 with 1300 viewssotd78

I think the key to all this is always income.
My children had no income; my attitude was that Uni is a life-experience and that they should get as much out of it as they could. So we subsidised their loans, paid them a top up on their rent; and provided boxes of foods etc when and as.
When they went to work but still lived at home we tried to set a fair payment as a percentage of their earnings. I still have a daughter at home who ironically lived out (renting) for 4 years but returned home to save for a place of her own. We still have a debate about what's fair as a contribution to our household costs on occasions - usually when she's drunk my booze!

Blue shirts/white shorts - sotd78

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 12:54 - Oct 6 with 1188 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 10:41 - Oct 6 by N2_Blue

Completely disagree.

I wouldn't ask for anything unless they are earning so probably not while they are a uni student, but after that definitely would ask them to contribute.

After uni i lived at home for a year and my mum asked me for rent to cover food as much as anything. £180 a month but this was 2002.

I didn't begrudge it at all and it immediately taught me how to manage money a bit better knowing if i did get things wrong an was short one month it wouldn't be a landlord or bailiff at the front door.

I've always managed my money well despite having times of being on very little and having to carefully budget and think paying my parents rent helped with this as part of my first budgeting because I certainly didn't do it very well at uni!
[Post edited 6 Oct 2021 10:41]

Point of my post was that we’re all different. I didn’t have such an arrangement with my parents yet also (have always) managed money well.

So I suppose it very much depends on the kid.
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 13:03 - Oct 6 with 1161 viewsN2_Blue

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 12:54 - Oct 6 by PrideOfTheEast

Point of my post was that we’re all different. I didn’t have such an arrangement with my parents yet also (have always) managed money well.

So I suppose it very much depends on the kid.

yes, fair enough point.

Perhaps if one feels their child is just going to spunk away money on going out & buying stuff they don't really need then asking for some kind of contribution is worthwhile.

However if they are sensible and will save a proportion of disposable income then maybe only get them to cover food. Teenagers and young adults can cost a small fortune just in food, it's amazing how much an appetite increases and how quickly a fridge empties when they're not paying for it!

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 13:13 - Oct 6 with 1153 viewsblue62

I didn't charge mine, but their Mum did (were separated). I preferred that they supplied the food and cooked one night a week.

Worked well and saved me a lot of time.
Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 20:42 - Oct 6 with 994 viewsPippin1970

Those who have had your kids at Uni or at Uni now.... on 21:25 - Oct 5 by Meadowlark

You should agree a mutually acceptable amount, then put it in a savings account and hand it all back to him when he completes his degree.

Good advice. Putting money towards a second hand car to drive to Uni. When the transition of when Uni finishes then the understanding of bills etc etc when getting place for himself. Student loans is obviously payed back when you earn a certain amount.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024