Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent 22:21 - Oct 7 with 2555 viewsIllinoisblue

“In this light the comparison with Ashley, the assumption that Newcastle has finally found its prince, seems to involve a degree of cognitive dissonance. Infuriating tracksuit vendor v blood-stained dictatorship. Zero-hours sport-shop contracts v beheading 37 people in a single day. Hiring Dennis Wise v bombing Yemen. Is it really obvious that one of these — the beheading one — is so much more desirable than the other?”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2021/oct/07/premier-league-newcastle-s

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 22:36 - Oct 7 with 2491 viewsTheBoyBlue

I'm missing the point of the article and your post, but "The grossest offence of the Ashley era was its joylessness, the capacity to make people who love football and love their club feel estranged, disdained and commodified. He will not be missed." really stood out. Replace Ashley with Evans and it is much as we all felt here. Yet some expressed a desire for Ashley to take us over.

Blog: [Blog] The Homer Simpson of the Championship

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 22:39 - Oct 7 with 2474 viewsmylittletown

That is good article.

However, many Newcastle fans won't care, as their self elected importance outweighs any sense of morals or ethics.
Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 22:42 - Oct 7 with 2448 viewsBlueBadger

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 22:36 - Oct 7 by TheBoyBlue

I'm missing the point of the article and your post, but "The grossest offence of the Ashley era was its joylessness, the capacity to make people who love football and love their club feel estranged, disdained and commodified. He will not be missed." really stood out. Replace Ashley with Evans and it is much as we all felt here. Yet some expressed a desire for Ashley to take us over.

Christ alive.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 22:45 - Oct 7 with 2438 viewsGuthrum

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 22:36 - Oct 7 by TheBoyBlue

Don't remember Ashley taking over at Town being presented as anything other than a nightmare scenario, a be-careful-what-you-wish-for.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 00:43 - Oct 8 with 2312 viewsbournemouthblue

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 22:45 - Oct 7 by Guthrum

Don't remember Ashley taking over at Town being presented as anything other than a nightmare scenario, a be-careful-what-you-wish-for.

Thankfully we'll never need to find out what the nightmarish world might be like

Ashley may have been an upgrade on Evans still, who knows

The new set of owners are a more exciting prospect, either way!

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 01:27 - Oct 8 with 2279 viewsIllinoisblue

Which part of the article don’t you understand?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 06:37 - Oct 8 with 2146 viewsChurchman

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 22:45 - Oct 7 by Guthrum

Or was it a case of Evans is killing the club, Ashley might be an improvement? A sort of losing one leg is better than losing two argument. Either way I’m glad we were spared that.

The article is interesting and thought provoking.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 6:45]
Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 07:55 - Oct 8 with 1981 viewsBluefish

I remember it being celebrated that he could buy us. Instead we celebrate getting rid of an owner that made huge losses but was accused of making a profit regularly with owners that will definitely make a profit but are viewed as big spending/losses

Funny old game
[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 8:45]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Login to get fewer ads

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 08:42 - Oct 8 with 1892 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 07:55 - Oct 8 by Bluefish

I remember it being celebrated that he could buy us. Instead we celebrate getting rid of an owner that made huge losses but was accused of making a profit regularly with owners that will definitely make a profit but are viewed as big spending/losses

Funny old game

Very well put!
Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 08:53 - Oct 8 with 1858 viewsblueasfook

Give it a rest Guardian.

Loads of clubs have Saudi ownership - or worse. Also, the small matter of a World Cup going on in Qatar next year. Why is the virtue signalling just focusing on Newcastle?

TWTD Veteran
Poll: How do you think season will end for us?

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 09:21 - Oct 8 with 1783 viewsGuthrum

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 07:55 - Oct 8 by Bluefish

Funny old game

There were a lot of ridiculous things said about Evans at times. Any profits for the new owners are a way off yet!

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 09:40 - Oct 8 with 1745 viewsHerbivore

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 08:53 - Oct 8 by blueasfook

Give it a rest Guardian.

Loads of clubs have Saudi ownership - or worse. Also, the small matter of a World Cup going on in Qatar next year. Why is the virtue signalling just focusing on Newcastle?

It's probably focusing on Newcastle because they are about to be taken over and so are in the news. That's generally how the news works. Having concerns about a regime with an appalling human rights record and a litany of other concerning behaviours is virtue signalling now? When did basic decency become something to be derided?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 10:11 - Oct 8 with 1685 viewsSwansea_Blue

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 09:40 - Oct 8 by Herbivore

It's probably focusing on Newcastle because they are about to be taken over and so are in the news. That's generally how the news works. Having concerns about a regime with an appalling human rights record and a litany of other concerning behaviours is virtue signalling now? When did basic decency become something to be derided?

Balls!

And there’s been a consistent criticism of the Saudis in that regard, so it hardly exclusive to Newcastle.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 11:48 - Oct 8 with 1573 viewsOldboy

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 22:39 - Oct 7 by mylittletown

That is good article.

However, many Newcastle fans won't care, as their self elected importance outweighs any sense of morals or ethics.

Serious question. Would you stop supporting Ipswich if they had taken us over? There's no right or wrong answer, just a question.
The problem for me is, I don't ever want Ipswich not to be a major part of my life. I don't think I could stop, regardless of who paid the wages. I would like to think that my morals and ethical values would win out, but I just don't think they would.
Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 13:19 - Oct 8 with 1501 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 08:53 - Oct 8 by blueasfook

Give it a rest Guardian.

If you are saying this you clearly never consume what the Guardian post as they are constantly talking about Qatar and the human rights issues. They go out of their way to combat tough issues that need talking about where as other outlets don't bother. If there is one thing you cannot accuse them of, it's virtue signalling.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 13:49 - Oct 8 with 1449 viewsTheBoyBlue

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 01:27 - Oct 8 by Illinoisblue

I understand it entirely. Not sure what gave you the impression that I didn't.

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 13:50 - Oct 8 with 1446 viewsTheBoyBlue

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 22:42 - Oct 7 by BlueBadger

Christ alive.

?

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 14:17 - Oct 8 with 1395 viewsWhos_blue

Give it a rest Guardian.

Genuinely well meaning question, but have you read the full article? I thought it was a well written and articulate piece. Even if I wasn't to agree with it, which I do, I'm not sure I could dismiss it as a flakey piece of virtue signalling.
Many will agree that Sky and the Premier League turned our game into the cash cow it has become.
It can't have escaped people's notice that one of the reported issues the EPL had to address first was that of the piracy of showing games in Saudi unlicensed.
Opening up that market will be very lucrative thank you very much. Priorities?
I always remember the late Brian Knights having an issue with the way ME conducted himself financially and stayed away from town. He took a moral ground that most of us could not/would not.
Was I happy to see our take over? Too right.
Whilst we can't know every nuance of the financial dealings of Gamechanger et al, it doesn't take much digging to link the NUFC funding back to some very unwelcome and unethical behaviour.

Distortion becomes somehow pure in its wildness.

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 15:20 - Oct 8 with 1266 viewsTJS

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 11:48 - Oct 8 by Oldboy

Serious question. Would you stop supporting Ipswich if they had taken us over? There's no right or wrong answer, just a question.
The problem for me is, I don't ever want Ipswich not to be a major part of my life. I don't think I could stop, regardless of who paid the wages. I would like to think that my morals and ethical values would win out, but I just don't think they would.

I wouldn’t have stopped supporting Ipswich if we had been taken over by Saudis but I would have been very uncomfortable with it.
I was not ecstatic about any foreign ownership but an American pension fund for public service workers vs Saudi regime is no contest.
Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 17:16 - Oct 8 with 1165 viewsJ2BLUE

Not sure who he is aiming that at? It's quite clearly about money and nothing more.

They'll be the most hated club in Britain in 5 years. The majority of their fans won't care.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 17:35 - Oct 8 with 1128 viewsPlums

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 11:48 - Oct 8 by Oldboy

Great question. I’m very conflicted over the World Cup. It absolutely should be nowhere near Qatar but will I engage with it? Should I? My head says absolutely not but do I have any chance of resisting it. Time will tell.
Edit:
The fact I even wrote that shows that they’ve won - they’ve bought something we can’t resist buying off them, even if the vendor is a villain.
[Post edited 8 Oct 2021 17:36]

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 17:48 - Oct 8 with 1091 viewsTheBoyBlue

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 01:27 - Oct 8 by Illinoisblue

Apologies, just realised I should've worded the first bit better. "It's not the point of the article, but" would've been a better way of wording it!

Barney Ronay’s piece on Newcastle is rather excellent on 18:05 - Oct 8 with 1044 viewsmylittletown

A good question. My cousin, who is a very moral person, has had no compunction in continuing to support Chelsea, even though he calls their owner a despicable gangster.
I would know for sure if it happened, but I think that I would always want ITFC to win, but that I would stop going to games.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024