Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" 11:29 - Oct 9 with 6382 viewsFBI

Is it just me? This is really starting to get on my udders now when I hear it in a podcast (for example). It's a regular feature now on KOA with Ross's 'hilarious' pronunciation app on his phone but it's happened elsewhere tooo.

He's one of our players, has been here long enough for people to have made the effort and it's not that bloody hard.

I just find it a bit, well, disrespectful, I guess to be doing that with one of our own players.

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 11:34 - Oct 9 with 4526 viewsWacko

Brexit Britain

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 11:51 - Oct 9 with 4455 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

agreed.

Its not even a hard name to say.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 11:52 - Oct 9 with 4453 viewsgordon

Yup, that's pathetic.
"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 12:05 - Oct 9 with 4387 viewsBlueBadger

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 11:34 - Oct 9 by Wacko

Brexit Britain

Balls.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 12:07 - Oct 9 with 4380 viewsSitfcB

He even said in his first interview we can call him Vas.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 13:30 - Oct 9 with 4182 viewsStenvict

It's the same with a lot of foreign names. Just read the letters ffs. It's not that hard. H LAD KY. Simples.

Poll: What will be announced first?

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 13:57 - Oct 9 with 4107 viewsSkip_Intro

Ross is the KoA equivalent of Scrappy Doo or Godzuki
"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 14:02 - Oct 9 with 4057 viewsSwansea_Blue

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 13:30 - Oct 9 by Stenvict

It's the same with a lot of foreign names. Just read the letters ffs. It's not that hard. H LAD KY. Simples.

Aitch-elady-kay-why. Sorted.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Login to get fewer ads

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 15:35 - Oct 9 with 3880 viewsSamWhiteUK

It's just a desperate attempt to be funny
"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:30 - Oct 9 with 3600 viewsBluedicea

It's down to how language is taught, because we teach children to speak with phonetics when they come across names or words that don't follow the phonetics taught, people get confused on how to pronounce things.
It is a worldwide problem, with many people from every language/country having problems with how to pronounce words that are different to how they learned them.

TV presenters, media professionals all have to practice off air how to say foreign places and names, so they can get used to it and not come across as ignorant.
Some people are more adept at languages and pronunciation, it's as much of a skill as is art, everyone can draw but only some are very good at it.

I have worked with lots of people that never learned English as their first language, and the way they say things can be comical, and I often have a chuckle with them about it, as if they struggle I then try to say something in their language, which is probably more flawed and comical than theirs, but it puts them at ease because they understand we are all the same, we all have struggles with unfamiliar experiences.

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:33 - Oct 9 with 3584 viewsHipsterectomy

I get that the Ross guy is meant to be a lad/one of the fans - the type you would see filming the 'limbs' after goals whilst throwing his beer around, but Jesus wept, is this the best our local media can do

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:33 - Oct 9 with 3583 viewsSkip_Intro

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:30 - Oct 9 by Bluedicea

It's down to how language is taught, because we teach children to speak with phonetics when they come across names or words that don't follow the phonetics taught, people get confused on how to pronounce things.
It is a worldwide problem, with many people from every language/country having problems with how to pronounce words that are different to how they learned them.

TV presenters, media professionals all have to practice off air how to say foreign places and names, so they can get used to it and not come across as ignorant.
Some people are more adept at languages and pronunciation, it's as much of a skill as is art, everyone can draw but only some are very good at it.

I have worked with lots of people that never learned English as their first language, and the way they say things can be comical, and I often have a chuckle with them about it, as if they struggle I then try to say something in their language, which is probably more flawed and comical than theirs, but it puts them at ease because they understand we are all the same, we all have struggles with unfamiliar experiences.

I think it's more down to people choosing not to listen to people who explain how to pronounce it properly time and time again - often for so called comedy effect (as in Ross on KoA) - gets very annoying very quickly
"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:37 - Oct 9 with 3561 viewsSkip_Intro

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:33 - Oct 9 by Hipsterectomy

I get that the Ross guy is meant to be a lad/one of the fans - the type you would see filming the 'limbs' after goals whilst throwing his beer around, but Jesus wept, is this the best our local media can do

see also Mike 'the big porker' Bacon - seems to believe his own hype and has gone from being sometimes insightful and mildy amusing to cringeworthy very quickly
"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:41 - Oct 9 with 3539 viewspositivity

i agree if they're doing it for effect, but could just be dyslexia, some people find names hard.

remember people were still mispronouncing counago and kuqi after years at the club, so could be a while before they get hladky...
[Post edited 9 Oct 2021 17:50]

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:47 - Oct 9 with 3511 viewsBluedicea

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:33 - Oct 9 by Skip_Intro

I think it's more down to people choosing not to listen to people who explain how to pronounce it properly time and time again - often for so called comedy effect (as in Ross on KoA) - gets very annoying very quickly

Not always. Some people can roll 'R's, others can't. Some languages need you to be able to roll an R to pronounce something, those that are physically incapable of it always get persecuted for not being able to speak properly.

Occasionally, yes it is just done for humorous effects. But again, it's worldwide. Many people in other countries mock how the English talk, just as we do.
Your problem is the same as most others, you have no experience of other cultures, except what you see in the news, so you wrongly assume we are worse at it than others.
Ignorance of how other cultures work is the main driver for those who constantly criticise how we operate culturally in this country, they have zero experience or knowledge but just want to get angry over something.

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:47 - Oct 9 with 3513 viewsSkip_Intro

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:41 - Oct 9 by positivity

i agree if they're doing it for effect, but could just be dyslexia, some people find names hard.

remember people were still mispronouncing counago and kuqi after years at the club, so could be a while before they get hladky...
[Post edited 9 Oct 2021 17:50]

not as bad as people saying 'Rooser' - even after his 'Rolls Reuser' t shirt goal celebration...
"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:57 - Oct 9 with 3460 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:33 - Oct 9 by Hipsterectomy

I fast forward his bits on KOA.

Im sure he is a nice lad, but for somebody who goes to every game, his football knowledge is awful.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:57 - Oct 9 with 3462 viewsBluedicea

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:47 - Oct 9 by Skip_Intro

not as bad as people saying 'Rooser' - even after his 'Rolls Reuser' t shirt goal celebration...

Reuser, depending on the area within a county or the county itself can be pronounced in several different ways.

Roysir, Roysur, Racer, Reeser, Roys'r....... and several more are different ways people have of saying the surname depending on where they grew up.

Some people understand this and don't get indignant about it. Others use it as a weapon to attack people because they need to be seen as being culturally 'better' than others.

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 18:02 - Oct 9 with 3430 viewsSkip_Intro

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 17:57 - Oct 9 by Bluedicea

Reuser, depending on the area within a county or the county itself can be pronounced in several different ways.

Roysir, Roysur, Racer, Reeser, Roys'r....... and several more are different ways people have of saying the surname depending on where they grew up.

Some people understand this and don't get indignant about it. Others use it as a weapon to attack people because they need to be seen as being culturally 'better' than others.

Reuser clearly tried to tell fans how to pronounce his name correctly. Some people understand this and don't get indignant about it. Others use it as a weapon to attack people because they need to be seen as being culturally 'better' than others.

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 18:09 - Oct 9 with 3399 viewsBluedicea

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 18:02 - Oct 9 by Skip_Intro

Reuser clearly tried to tell fans how to pronounce his name correctly. Some people understand this and don't get indignant about it. Others use it as a weapon to attack people because they need to be seen as being culturally 'better' than others.

That's how he pronounces it, but seeing as one of my great aunts was called Reuser and had always pronounced it Reeser, when I used to say his name I pronounced it the same way it was known in my family.
So you're saying my family is in the wrong, along with millions of others who have the same name.

Stop being such an cultural elitist. If someone pronounces something wrong, move on, don't attack them for being different, just so you can feel superior.

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 18:23 - Oct 9 with 3343 viewsSkip_Intro

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 18:09 - Oct 9 by Bluedicea

That's how he pronounces it, but seeing as one of my great aunts was called Reuser and had always pronounced it Reeser, when I used to say his name I pronounced it the same way it was known in my family.
So you're saying my family is in the wrong, along with millions of others who have the same name.

Stop being such an cultural elitist. If someone pronounces something wrong, move on, don't attack them for being different, just so you can feel superior.

Calm down dear no need to get your Birkenstocks in a twist.
I think you've just proved my point - I'm actually saying that your family is in the right.
If you tell me that your name is pronounced in a certain way and I choose to ignore it then that is rude, plain and simple.
It's not 'cultural elitism' it's simple manners.
"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 18:30 - Oct 9 with 3307 viewsBluedicea

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 18:23 - Oct 9 by Skip_Intro

Calm down dear no need to get your Birkenstocks in a twist.
I think you've just proved my point - I'm actually saying that your family is in the right.
If you tell me that your name is pronounced in a certain way and I choose to ignore it then that is rude, plain and simple.
It's not 'cultural elitism' it's simple manners.

It's not rude at all. Or are you saying people with disabilities are rude because they can't pronounce names properly?

It has nothing to do with manners. It's down to people who think they are better than others and are constantly try to point out they are better because they do things a certain ways rather than accepting everyone is different, some people are capable others are not.
But according to you only people with manners are right, disabled people or people who are foreign and speak differently are in the wrong. That's called elitism....

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 18:40 - Oct 9 with 3280 viewsSkip_Intro

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 18:30 - Oct 9 by Bluedicea

It's not rude at all. Or are you saying people with disabilities are rude because they can't pronounce names properly?

It has nothing to do with manners. It's down to people who think they are better than others and are constantly try to point out they are better because they do things a certain ways rather than accepting everyone is different, some people are capable others are not.
But according to you only people with manners are right, disabled people or people who are foreign and speak differently are in the wrong. That's called elitism....

Who mentioned disabled people? Will you be comparing me to Hitler next?
The thread is about people (often deliberately) mispronouncing names despite being told time and again how to pronounce them.
Neither me nor anyone else in this thread has suggested that they are better than anyone else. I'm merely suggesting that deliberately mispronouncing someone else's name is rude and disrespectful.
I suggest you go and find something else to trigger you as you're going on my div list now - I can't tolerate woke trolls.
"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 20:30 - Oct 9 with 3046 viewsStrimmer

It’s incredibly bad banter and very embarrassing. Dreadful carp that should be binned asap along with the dreadful pizza toppings common room chat ballacks.

I full appreciate people can find names hard but these are football media professionals, it’s their literal job to get it right.

The problems not people finding names hard that’s a problem, it’s media pros making a joke out of it

Poll: Was it a punch?

"Haladaky or however you pronounce it" on 20:52 - Oct 9 with 2978 viewsElderGrizzly

Mick would have given him a ‘hilarious’ nickname by now.

I’m going for Daks
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024