Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates 13:19 - Oct 9 with 1618 viewsNthQldITFC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58855168

I think this is a great initiative, and the Royal family could make a really strong, positive statement to the whole world by saying a simple "Yes, let's do it".

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 13:46 - Oct 9 with 1288 viewshoppy

Not read the article, but are they basically re-homing Andrew?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 13:55 - Oct 9 with 1278 viewsleitrimblue

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 13:46 - Oct 9 by hoppy

No, they gonna put him out to stud
'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 14:12 - Oct 9 with 1253 viewsfactual_blue

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 13:46 - Oct 9 by hoppy

Wolf Hunt - Prince Andrew.

A Channel 5 show waiting to be made.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 14:32 - Oct 9 with 1215 viewsPlums

Excellent idea. Lots of new species for Tarquin to shoot at the weekends.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 16:43 - Oct 9 with 1149 viewsRyorry

Friend of mine who did degree in environmental stuff says re-wilding only works if you go the whole hog (sorry), which in the UK's case means re-introducing wolves and lynx. Somehow don't think that'd go down too well with locals ...

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 16:45 - Oct 9 with 1140 viewsKeno

So you are saying basically Gav is a royal?

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 16:56 - Oct 9 with 1115 viewsSwansea_Blue

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 16:43 - Oct 9 by Ryorry

Friend of mine who did degree in environmental stuff says re-wilding only works if you go the whole hog (sorry), which in the UK's case means re-introducing wolves and lynx. Somehow don't think that'd go down too well with locals ...

They could do a lot more without worrying about the larger mammals. Windsor Great Park for example is very sterile. All spaced out trees and mowed or grazed grass. There's so much more they could do if the closed areas off to grazing by the deer and encouraged plant life for insects, more woodland for small mammals, etc. Mind you, I moved away from that part of the world 25 years ago, so maybe they have been doing stuff I'm not aware of.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 07:17 - Oct 10 with 1014 viewsChurchman

It’s a shame they can’t reproduce woolly mammoths an sabre tooth tigers. Dinosaurs might be going a bit far - we don’t want another Jurassic Park, though the thought of Prince Charles being chased across one of his estates by a Tyrannosaurus Rex amuses me.
Login to get fewer ads

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 10:00 - Oct 10 with 950 viewsTractorWood

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 07:17 - Oct 10 by Churchman

It’s a shame they can’t reproduce woolly mammoths an sabre tooth tigers. Dinosaurs might be going a bit far - we don’t want another Jurassic Park, though the thought of Prince Charles being chased across one of his estates by a Tyrannosaurus Rex amuses me.

They are actually actively trying to reintroduce mammoth DNA hybrids into the artic tundra.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/science/2021/sep/13/firm-bring-

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 11:51 - Oct 10 with 932 viewsRyorry

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 16:56 - Oct 9 by Swansea_Blue

They could do a lot more without worrying about the larger mammals. Windsor Great Park for example is very sterile. All spaced out trees and mowed or grazed grass. There's so much more they could do if the closed areas off to grazing by the deer and encouraged plant life for insects, more woodland for small mammals, etc. Mind you, I moved away from that part of the world 25 years ago, so maybe they have been doing stuff I'm not aware of.

Horrifying reports this morning re UK biodiversity.

You'd have thought Charles would have tried to exert some influence - I wonder how much power he actually has at their HQ & with HMQEII - any at all?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58859105

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 12:24 - Oct 10 with 910 viewsWeWereZombies

I wouldn't even broach the subject of reintroducing lynx with the crofters local to where I live. And as far as wolves go then I am dead against that but mainly because I don't want to learn how to use a gun and carry it with me on one of my jaunts into the Highlands.

As it happens I had a conversation with a head stalker last Monday morning (I was placating him about going overland with an expert 4x4 driver towards a bothy where a helicopter was delivering materials - all of which was going to disturb 'his' deer) and also met a group of four lads (and two high powered rifles and a tripod) setting off on a hunt. Adding this into other discussions about deer, woodland and livestock grazing with a few people my view is that if deer were properly farmed rather than being seen as a sporting asset then we would have an adequately managed level of deer population that would not require the predation of wolves... I wouldn't mind seeing a few lynx around though, but please don't tell my neighbours.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 12:26 - Oct 10 with 906 viewsKeno

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 12:24 - Oct 10 by WeWereZombies

I wouldn't even broach the subject of reintroducing lynx with the crofters local to where I live. And as far as wolves go then I am dead against that but mainly because I don't want to learn how to use a gun and carry it with me on one of my jaunts into the Highlands.

As it happens I had a conversation with a head stalker last Monday morning (I was placating him about going overland with an expert 4x4 driver towards a bothy where a helicopter was delivering materials - all of which was going to disturb 'his' deer) and also met a group of four lads (and two high powered rifles and a tripod) setting off on a hunt. Adding this into other discussions about deer, woodland and livestock grazing with a few people my view is that if deer were properly farmed rather than being seen as a sporting asset then we would have an adequately managed level of deer population that would not require the predation of wolves... I wouldn't mind seeing a few lynx around though, but please don't tell my neighbours.

Dont they like the smell if Lynx?

perhaps you need to try something different like "old Spice'

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 12:30 - Oct 10 with 904 viewsWeWereZombies

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 12:26 - Oct 10 by Keno

Dont they like the smell if Lynx?

perhaps you need to try something different like "old Spice'

I knew there was a joke about male after shave in there as I was writing it.

I'm sure someone will find it as the day goes on...

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 12:38 - Oct 10 with 880 viewsKeno

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 12:30 - Oct 10 by WeWereZombies

I knew there was a joke about male after shave in there as I was writing it.

I'm sure someone will find it as the day goes on...

Not if they have any scents

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 12:39 - Oct 10 with 874 viewsWeWereZombies

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 12:38 - Oct 10 by Keno

Not if they have any scents

Oh dour...

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 13:58 - Oct 10 with 827 viewsleitrimblue

Ah come on Zombers, I reckon you could fist fight a wolf if you gave it your all. I find the whole re-wilding idea very interesting. If you think about it what we would be trying to achieve is to return the island to the late Mesolithic. Prior to the slash an burn forest clearance of yer Neolithic farmer type. Apart from the predators already mentioned I think we should also train up 2 -3 bands of Hunter gatherers to roam around doing there stuff. I'm guessing the kinda person who volunteers to go on naked and afraid would be potential applicants
'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 14:45 - Oct 10 with 785 viewsWeWereZombies

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 13:58 - Oct 10 by leitrimblue

Ah come on Zombers, I reckon you could fist fight a wolf if you gave it your all. I find the whole re-wilding idea very interesting. If you think about it what we would be trying to achieve is to return the island to the late Mesolithic. Prior to the slash an burn forest clearance of yer Neolithic farmer type. Apart from the predators already mentioned I think we should also train up 2 -3 bands of Hunter gatherers to roam around doing there stuff. I'm guessing the kinda person who volunteers to go on naked and afraid would be potential applicants

Kieron?

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 14:50 - Oct 10 with 779 viewsleitrimblue

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 14:45 - Oct 10 by WeWereZombies

Kieron?

I would happily follow Kieron (is this not just a misspelling of Kieran/ciaran?) into a wild boar hunt
'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 15:21 - Oct 10 with 767 viewsRyorry

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 14:45 - Oct 10 by WeWereZombies

Kieron?

You 👍

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 15:24 - Oct 10 with 763 viewspositivity

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 11:51 - Oct 10 by Ryorry

Horrifying reports this morning re UK biodiversity.

You'd have thought Charles would have tried to exert some influence - I wonder how much power he actually has at their HQ & with HMQEII - any at all?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-58859105

one of the worst things for reducing biodiversity is grouse-shooting, of which charlie-boy is a huge fan. so his silence isn't that surprising!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 15:25 - Oct 10 with 760 viewspositivity

it'd be easier to manage if you reintroduce the apex predators, if you don't you have to control things like deer to maintain balance

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 15:27 - Oct 10 with 757 viewsRyorry

Deer are properly farmed in quite a few locations, & I used to get venison from one of them near Doncaster every time we had an away game in S. Yorkshire - until they sold up a few years ago. There's one in N. Yorkshire now, and several in Scotland I think.

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 15:29 - Oct 10 with 757 viewsPhilTWTD

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 16:45 - Oct 9 by Keno

So you are saying basically Gav is a royal?

Are you suggesting Gav is a Reading supporter? I'm sure he'll be consulting his lawyers.
'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 15:31 - Oct 10 with 754 viewsRyorry

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 15:24 - Oct 10 by positivity

one of the worst things for reducing biodiversity is grouse-shooting, of which charlie-boy is a huge fan. so his silence isn't that surprising!

Ah right, had forgotten that. You'd have thought he'd change his mind & position on that. Other estates may be financially dependent on it, but I'm pretty sure there'd be other income streams the royals could diversify into if they put plenty of thought into it.

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 15:48 - Oct 10 with 742 viewsleitrimblue

'Re-wilding' the Royal Estates on 15:31 - Oct 10 by Ryorry

Ah right, had forgotten that. You'd have thought he'd change his mind & position on that. Other estates may be financially dependent on it, but I'm pretty sure there'd be other income streams the royals could diversify into if they put plenty of thought into it.

Think you would have to give grants larger then those currently available from farming etc to encourage re-wilding.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024