Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT 21:33 - Oct 9 with 1472 viewsDarth_Koont

We still have issues at times going forward and finding a rhythm. But we’re capable of some great stuff in flashes.

More importantly, we’re looking much more solid in defence and generally off the ball in the past few games. That’s going to be our foundation this season and let our attack really find its feet.

And on a side note: the Ipswich game had the nerves jangling and then I was immediately pitched into the Scotland game. Two wins in a row but never again – you just can’t watch two teams who regularly break your heart back to back.

Utterly exhausting. But I’ve had a little cry and a lie down and now feel much better.

Pronouns: He/Him

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 21:43 - Oct 9 with 1421 viewspointofblue

Our defence still has more than one horrible blunder in it - both Burgess and Edmundson caught out of position and had to get themselves booked to redeem themselves, plus there was a mix up in the second half which I think led to the Shrewsbury penalty appeal.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 21:49 - Oct 9 with 1410 viewsDarth_Koont

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 21:43 - Oct 9 by pointofblue

Our defence still has more than one horrible blunder in it - both Burgess and Edmundson caught out of position and had to get themselves booked to redeem themselves, plus there was a mix up in the second half which I think led to the Shrewsbury penalty appeal.

I think that’s mainly to do with how much work they have to do during a game. If we were a bit better and braver at keeping the ball further up the pitch they’d be looking to defend space and runners rather than always making themselves available for the pass.

I thought they did well though overall.

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 21:52 - Oct 9 with 1381 viewspointofblue

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 21:49 - Oct 9 by Darth_Koont

I think that’s mainly to do with how much work they have to do during a game. If we were a bit better and braver at keeping the ball further up the pitch they’d be looking to defend space and runners rather than always making themselves available for the pass.

I thought they did well though overall.

Most of the time the errors come from long balls over the top, over the midfield. I guess the point is why do they have to be so far forward.

Don't overly rate either and, defensively, not sure if they're any better than what he had before. But I do feel a certain centre back not in the team has been treated pretty harshly so maybe I'm slightly biased in this view. I just don't see anything special from either.

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 21:59 - Oct 9 with 1353 viewsDarth_Koont

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 21:52 - Oct 9 by pointofblue

Most of the time the errors come from long balls over the top, over the midfield. I guess the point is why do they have to be so far forward.

Don't overly rate either and, defensively, not sure if they're any better than what he had before. But I do feel a certain centre back not in the team has been treated pretty harshly so maybe I'm slightly biased in this view. I just don't see anything special from either.

We used them to shift the attack on 20-30 occasions today that’s why they’re so high up.

Not sure who you mean TBH but I think both supported the attacking play well and both defended well when called on. Supporting our attacks does mean that they’ll be struggling for position when we lose the ball and the opposition break but as I say, I think that responsibility lies with those ahead of them.

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 23:01 - Oct 9 with 1276 viewspointofblue

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 21:59 - Oct 9 by Darth_Koont

We used them to shift the attack on 20-30 occasions today that’s why they’re so high up.

Not sure who you mean TBH but I think both supported the attacking play well and both defended well when called on. Supporting our attacks does mean that they’ll be struggling for position when we lose the ball and the opposition break but as I say, I think that responsibility lies with those ahead of them.

Though it could be argued that was the reason our defence looked shaky from the off, even before Edmundson and Burgess joined. Have they improved matters? I guess we may have to disagree on that one.

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 08:15 - Oct 10 with 1097 viewschicoazul

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 23:01 - Oct 9 by pointofblue

Though it could be argued that was the reason our defence looked shaky from the off, even before Edmundson and Burgess joined. Have they improved matters? I guess we may have to disagree on that one.

We were regularly conceding at least 2 a game, since they have been working together since Bolton it’s rarely more than 1. They’ve definitely improved.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 08:18 - Oct 10 with 1091 viewsHerbivore

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 08:15 - Oct 10 by chicoazul

We were regularly conceding at least 2 a game, since they have been working together since Bolton it’s rarely more than 1. They’ve definitely improved.

I think that's down to Donacien coming in and making us more solid on that side more than anything. KVY looked lost against Bolton and hasn't looked convincing all season.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 08:20 - Oct 10 with 1089 viewschicoazul

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 08:18 - Oct 10 by Herbivore

I think that's down to Donacien coming in and making us more solid on that side more than anything. KVY looked lost against Bolton and hasn't looked convincing all season.

That’s definitely part of it, I love me some Janoi, but at least as big a part of it is their partnership developing. And Morsy coming in, even if he did cock it up for their goal yesterday.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Login to get fewer ads

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 08:24 - Oct 10 with 1080 viewsHerbivore

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 08:20 - Oct 10 by chicoazul

That’s definitely part of it, I love me some Janoi, but at least as big a part of it is their partnership developing. And Morsy coming in, even if he did cock it up for their goal yesterday.

On what I've seen so far I'm unconvinced Edmundson and Burgess are a big upgrade on what we already had. They are poor on the ball and prone to the odd error. I'm sure they'll settle and improve but I do wonder about the wisdom of ripping up the one department where we were actually mostly fine over the last two seasons. I do think Woolf has been somewhat harshly treated, and his ability on the ball would be an asset for us.

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 08:36 - Oct 10 with 1048 viewschicoazul

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 08:24 - Oct 10 by Herbivore

On what I've seen so far I'm unconvinced Edmundson and Burgess are a big upgrade on what we already had. They are poor on the ball and prone to the odd error. I'm sure they'll settle and improve but I do wonder about the wisdom of ripping up the one department where we were actually mostly fine over the last two seasons. I do think Woolf has been somewhat harshly treated, and his ability on the ball would be an asset for us.

Woolf was a key part of a defence that was leaking at least 2 a game. I like him too but I think that well has been poisoned as far as Cook is concerned. Toto gets in ahead of him on the bench now.

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 08:50 - Oct 10 with 1027 viewsHerbivore

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 08:36 - Oct 10 by chicoazul

Woolf was a key part of a defence that was leaking at least 2 a game. I like him too but I think that well has been poisoned as far as Cook is concerned. Toto gets in ahead of him on the bench now.

Burgess and Penney were likewise part of a defence leaking goals and they've kept their places. Does feel very much that if you were part of last season you have to work three times as hard for a place in the side. I guess that's understandable to some extent given the new players are Cook's boys, but when you've got a big squad the perception that some are treated more favourably than others can cause tensions.

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 09:02 - Oct 10 with 1010 viewsYallop

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 08:24 - Oct 10 by Herbivore

We all see things differently. I've been really impressed by Edmondson. Calm, solid who will go on to play at a higher level and hopefully with us.
Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 09:39 - Oct 10 with 940 viewsHeadWestBlue

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 08:36 - Oct 10 by chicoazul

Why does the Woolf seem to end up playing on the left side of defence more often when playing alongside the more experienced players.

Gillingham last Tuesday being one example…
[Post edited 10 Oct 2021 9:40]
Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 09:49 - Oct 10 with 904 viewschicoazul

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 08:50 - Oct 10 by Herbivore

Burgess and Penney were likewise part of a defence leaking goals and they've kept their places. Does feel very much that if you were part of last season you have to work three times as hard for a place in the side. I guess that's understandable to some extent given the new players are Cook's boys, but when you've got a big squad the perception that some are treated more favourably than others can cause tensions.

There’s tensions in every squad in the league, competition breeds tension and all pro players and managers understand this. Guardiola has to manage Bernardo Silva and Mahrez very carefully, it’s part of being a manager and hopefully Cook has the respect and confidence of the players that he will treat them ok. I think you’re right about players from last season.

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 10:03 - Oct 10 with 869 viewsBloomBlue

I still think it's the C word, confidence. We started well but as soon as Shrewsbury scored the players looked uncomfortable. Even the simple things like a pass was slightly to the left or right of a player, or hit too hard which all gave the opposition player the chance to get their foot in. The crowd also became edgy, moaning about passing around the defenders, even shouts of hump it up field. Now I appreciate it works 2 ways with the players performance and the crowd but we're all lacking the confidence the players can turn it around during a game.

Good results breed confidence, but sometimes you need to grind those results out. I do think a lot of people had assumed another big win yesterday before kickoff ie 4 or 5 nil
Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 10:20 - Oct 10 with 844 viewsDarth_Koont

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 10:03 - Oct 10 by BloomBlue

I still think it's the C word, confidence. We started well but as soon as Shrewsbury scored the players looked uncomfortable. Even the simple things like a pass was slightly to the left or right of a player, or hit too hard which all gave the opposition player the chance to get their foot in. The crowd also became edgy, moaning about passing around the defenders, even shouts of hump it up field. Now I appreciate it works 2 ways with the players performance and the crowd but we're all lacking the confidence the players can turn it around during a game.

Good results breed confidence, but sometimes you need to grind those results out. I do think a lot of people had assumed another big win yesterday before kickoff ie 4 or 5 nil

I think you’re right and especially about that dodgy 20 minutes.

I know people will say that professional players should do the basics and/or should maintain a higher level of performance during a game no matter what. But it’s still a game of margins and when we get a little hesitant/start overthinking then we look a much poorer side.

Hopefully the second half should give more confidence. We worked our way back into the lead but we also managed the game well too.

But overall, I’ve been happy with the small steps in the right direction that we’ve been taking since Bolton.

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 10:24 - Oct 10 with 834 viewsDubtractor

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 10:20 - Oct 10 by Darth_Koont

I think you’re right and especially about that dodgy 20 minutes.

I know people will say that professional players should do the basics and/or should maintain a higher level of performance during a game no matter what. But it’s still a game of margins and when we get a little hesitant/start overthinking then we look a much poorer side.

Hopefully the second half should give more confidence. We worked our way back into the lead but we also managed the game well too.

But overall, I’ve been happy with the small steps in the right direction that we’ve been taking since Bolton.

"Hopefully the second half should give more confidence. We worked our way back into the lead but we also managed the game well too."

I mentioned this in a post after the game, but a justified criticism of us in the first part of the season was that we had no game management, that we were gung ho when in the lead and letting teams back in with soft goals. The second half yesterday wasn't a thriller, but it was the sort of performance people have suggested we should have more of, we kept things fairly tight and looked to use our extra quality to be the difference. The result wasn't thrilling to watch, but it was a pretty comfortable second half wasn't it?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 10:44 - Oct 10 with 807 viewsDarth_Koont

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 10:24 - Oct 10 by Dubtractor

"Hopefully the second half should give more confidence. We worked our way back into the lead but we also managed the game well too."

I mentioned this in a post after the game, but a justified criticism of us in the first part of the season was that we had no game management, that we were gung ho when in the lead and letting teams back in with soft goals. The second half yesterday wasn't a thriller, but it was the sort of performance people have suggested we should have more of, we kept things fairly tight and looked to use our extra quality to be the difference. The result wasn't thrilling to watch, but it was a pretty comfortable second half wasn't it?

Indeed. And I think that’s what the best sides in the division do (and in the Championship). Over the years, it seems to me that the automatic promotion sides have tended to overpower and contain the opposition rather than slicing through them with dazzling football.

It’s not exactly the full-on footballing fantasy, but I’d settle for that control and the odd bursts of quality as a way to build something and get us out of the division.

Thought we were pretty strong today bar a poor 20 minutes before HT on 11:06 - Oct 10 with 784 viewslongtimefan

Not sure Wolf bothered watching the game. Saw him walking across Cardinal Park not long before kick off, along with a couple of others. Was particularly noticeable as it was really quite warm and there was him with a raised hoodie and a sleeveless padded jacket on.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024