Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 09:23 - Oct 10 with 1505 viewsunstableblue

Hopefully this large portion of the population that blindly backed Brexit and who keep the Tories in power will realise in time that they are following people who are living in some la la land of false empire and glories that are not what a modern global facing Britain needs to be

Yes victory in WW2 was a great thing but it was another time, 76 years ago. It has no comparison to a connected Britain in a pandemic

Plus the Germans bombed at night!!

Pravda/Daily Mail is running a similar piece, but blaming the botched Afghan withdrawal on working from home

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 09:27 - Oct 10 with 1470 viewsHerbivore

I wonder why it is the Tories are so keen to get people back into office spaces that are often owned by friends and donors of the Tory party?

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 09:49 - Oct 10 with 1401 viewsWD19

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 09:27 - Oct 10 by Herbivore

I wonder why it is the Tories are so keen to get people back into office spaces that are often owned by friends and donors of the Tory party?

My office is owned by the local Labour council as an investment.

And it’s relative emptiness is causing productivity issues, significant mental health challenges, weakening the cultural capital of the organisation and materially impacting the lunchtime and evening economy of the surrounding area.

But a few longer serving middle aged colleagues who like working from their nice home like it like this, and they are the ones who tend to hold the soft power.
We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 09:51 - Oct 10 with 1395 viewspointofblue

I posted this on the other thread but it fits here too…

I feel dirty defending IDS but the article is more reasonable than the headline suggests, though he does make that stupid 1940s comment. Whether he is really concerned about small businesses reliant on office workers is questionable, though that is the angle taken - and probably one which can at least be argued as valid.

I’ll add he also refers to being more productive working together which I certainly have found, going back in part time.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 09:57 - Oct 10 with 1362 viewsThe_Major

I think what gets most folk irate is the constant insinuation that if you've been WFH, you've been watching Bargain Hunt non stop for 18 months with your feet up.
We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 10:05 - Oct 10 with 1338 viewsHerbivore

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 09:49 - Oct 10 by WD19

My office is owned by the local Labour council as an investment.

And it’s relative emptiness is causing productivity issues, significant mental health challenges, weakening the cultural capital of the organisation and materially impacting the lunchtime and evening economy of the surrounding area.

But a few longer serving middle aged colleagues who like working from their nice home like it like this, and they are the ones who tend to hold the soft power.

Okay, boomer.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 10:41 - Oct 10 with 1297 viewsunstableblue

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 09:51 - Oct 10 by pointofblue

I posted this on the other thread but it fits here too…

I feel dirty defending IDS but the article is more reasonable than the headline suggests, though he does make that stupid 1940s comment. Whether he is really concerned about small businesses reliant on office workers is questionable, though that is the angle taken - and probably one which can at least be argued as valid.

I’ll add he also refers to being more productive working together which I certainly have found, going back in part time.

IDS is supposed a senior leader with his finger on the pulse.

I’m lucky enough to know the outgoing CEO of one of the UKs largest real estate owners, business, retail and commercial space.

He has always maintained that Covid just accelerated the move to a higher percentage of home working and home shopping. It was going to happen anyway.

So a new paradigm is here, and the government should embrace it and create an environment that can thrive around it.

Where you should defend IDS is that the current structures such as Transport for London almost need the old model of the big commute and office population.

But everyone knows that companies are retrofitting offices and changing working practices so that people come in once or twice a week (only) for meetings and to be more productive together.

Certain tasks are more suited to working alone at home, some collaboration activities should be in the office.

So IDS messaging is ill informed.

But my point is… we have to I’ve our leaders always from looking backwards

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 10:48 - Oct 10 with 1276 viewsKeno

Seems fair, my granddad has often said 'even when the germans the bombing London there was no disruption in the broadband he was using and the wi-fi signal was good"

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 10:51 - Oct 10 with 1256 viewsDarth_Koont

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 10:48 - Oct 10 by Keno

Seems fair, my granddad has often said 'even when the germans the bombing London there was no disruption in the broadband he was using and the wi-fi signal was good"

Adolf didn’t stop the Ocado deliveries!

We were made of sterner stuff back then.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 10:51 - Oct 10 with 1256 viewsunstableblue

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 10:48 - Oct 10 by Keno

Also everyone worked at night when the blitz took place, and still they commuted in, in their thousands

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 14:59 - Oct 10 with 1123 viewsDurovigutum

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 10:41 - Oct 10 by unstableblue

I’m lucky enough to know the outgoing CEO of one of the UKs largest real estate owners, business, retail and commercial space.

He has always maintained that Covid just accelerated the move to a higher percentage of home working and home shopping. It was going to happen anyway.

So a new paradigm is here, and the government should embrace it and create an environment that can thrive around it.

Where you should defend IDS is that the current structures such as Transport for London almost need the old model of the big commute and office population.

But everyone knows that companies are retrofitting offices and changing working practices so that people come in once or twice a week (only) for meetings and to be more productive together.

Certain tasks are more suited to working alone at home, some collaboration activities should be in the office.

Doing my job used to mean visiting lots of companies to see what they were doing. Those that were dying had managers incapable of doing anything other than managing by presenteeism and who couldn't grasp any other way of getting people to "work". Those who were productive could see when it benefited people to be together, when being in a quiet space was better. Anyone who truly has to think for their work has found that not being in an open plan office is brilliant - but the people doing the lecturing on this subject were those who had the corner office (and the nanny, or au pair, and therefore didn't have to balance childcare or a commute, or the cost of these things).
We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 16:45 - Oct 10 with 1020 viewsJ2BLUE

As someone who very much enjoys working from home he can go f##k himself.

Thankfully, the one good thing my generation are doing, is demanding more flexible and better working conditions.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 17:11 - Oct 10 with 988 viewsfactual_blue

As I've posted elsewhere, over 20,000 Civil Servants were relocated during WW2 from London & the South-east to seaside resosts and spa towns in the north.

So they weren't.

IDS is an ill-informed, ignorant bigot who has coasted through public life, making absolutely no useful contribution at all.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 17:26 - Oct 10 with 958 viewsNthsuffolkblue

It is remarkable how many people caught being bombed in the Blitz from each other because they continued to carry on as normal and take no measures to reduce the risks!

Perhaps there are lessons to be learned from risk management during the Blitz as it led to an estimated 30,000 UK deaths whereas, so far, Covid has caused 138,000 in the UK.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 21:55 - Oct 10 with 828 viewsfactual_blue

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 17:26 - Oct 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

It is remarkable how many people caught being bombed in the Blitz from each other because they continued to carry on as normal and take no measures to reduce the risks!

Perhaps there are lessons to be learned from risk management during the Blitz as it led to an estimated 30,000 UK deaths whereas, so far, Covid has caused 138,000 in the UK.

For the sake of balance, I'm not aware of any looting from the dead bodies of Covid victims.....

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 21:57 - Oct 10 with 826 viewsfactual_blue

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 16:45 - Oct 10 by J2BLUE

Thankfully, the one good thing my generation are doing, is demanding more flexible and better working conditions.

Interestingly, those who demanded better working conditions used to be vilified by thatcher, tebbitt and others as Communist scum.

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 23:20 - Oct 10 with 754 viewsBluedicea

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 17:11 - Oct 10 by factual_blue

As I've posted elsewhere, over 20,000 Civil Servants were relocated during WW2 from London & the South-east to seaside resosts and spa towns in the north.

So they weren't.

IDS is an ill-informed, ignorant bigot who has coasted through public life, making absolutely no useful contribution at all.

Your talking about operation Pied Piper. Which was the relocation of nearly 4 million civilians in the UK.
The civil servants were moved without choice out of London to many other places around the UK for a few reasons, to help facilitate the rationing and procurement processes in each area, as local governments weren't up to the task. They needed to be spread out away from the capital to ensure that we didn't lose all governmental control with a lucky bomb hit or 2, which would have crippled us even more. Each department was given an area with enough high ranking civil servants, so that if London did fall each area could organise and resist invasion, and continue the country if the government fell.
They were still working 60 hour weeks throughout the war, going into the local offices. A lot of the civil servants complained about this because they were having to pay for 2 homes, the billet they stayed at and their main homes in London, they were also upset when the war was over that there wasn't enough housing provided for them in London, due to the bombing, so they had to continue to pay for accommodation in and around the capital.

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 09:33 - Oct 11 with 629 viewsChurchman

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 10:41 - Oct 10 by unstableblue

I agree with this. Flexible working, driven largely by technology, has been changing the workplace for years now. The pandemic has just accelerated it. And so it should. Keeping a few over priced cafes and sandwich shops open in London is no justification for retaining old working practices where they aren’t needed. The point is, it’s all about what people do, outputs, how productive they are.

If they are doing more working at home than in central London, why not embrace it? It is not a one size fits all solution either way. Some folks/tasks need people working together, some don’t. In my last job, the nature of project work meant I had to be in London a lot of the time, but having a surface pro/screens/docking station/work mobile meant I could sometimes work at home or indeed when I had a family problem to deal with 80 miles away at my dad’s. It’s all about flexibility and embracing technology. One size will not fit all.

I suspect some of IDS’ whining is because he refuses to use technology at all. His Private Office a few years ago was double everyone else’s because everything had to be transcribed onto headed HoC paper. He refused to use a computer. Dreadful man.

With regard to DVLA I gather the rubbish premises they work in is a centre for Covid. 100s have caught it working there. Had the govt chosen to do something about it, they might have less problems re licences etc now.

I’m tired of serial boneheads like IDS beating up on the Civil Service. They do it to cover their own eye watering ineptitude and know that protocols prevent CS refuting their nonsense. There is plenty that needs to change in the Civil Service, but there is plenty to praise about it too.
We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 21:58 - Oct 11 with 504 viewsNthsuffolkblue

New word of the day Luftwaffle - speaking about WW2 without any first hand experience of or knowledge about it at all.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 22:05 - Oct 11 with 488 viewsSwansea_Blue

We are being led by Donkeys part 1345 on 16:45 - Oct 10 by J2BLUE

it's a win, win. It's better for people who need flexible working (part-timers, people with young families, disabled people who struggle with the commute, etc). It cuts down congestion, will do wonders for air quality. And with no commute, think of all the extra work people can cram into a day.

Everyone I've spoken to at any level in any organisation hasn't had a bad word to say about it. The only people who do seem to be the usual nobend free marketeer 'commentators' and IDS.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024