Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
"By no means racist" 17:32 - Oct 10 with 2653 viewsNthsuffolkblue

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/2-women-demanded-refund-finding-082521994.html

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

"By no means racist" on 17:55 - Oct 10 with 2572 viewsSouthBucksBlue

They evidently had concerns about staying there after reading recent reviews. What’s your point?
"By no means racist" on 18:27 - Oct 10 with 2515 viewsfactual_blue

"By no means racist" on 17:55 - Oct 10 by SouthBucksBlue

They evidently had concerns about staying there after reading recent reviews. What’s your point?

Errr...the reviews that concerned them were ones saying there were Afghan refugees staying the hotel.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

"By no means racist" on 18:54 - Oct 10 with 2449 viewsgtsb1966

"By no means racist" on 18:27 - Oct 10 by factual_blue

Errr...the reviews that concerned them were ones saying there were Afghan refugees staying the hotel.

The reviews said there had been instances of thieving and kids running around all over the place. I wouldn't want to stay there either if I read that.
"By no means racist" on 19:03 - Oct 10 with 2386 viewsGlasgowBlue

First of all, these refugees deserve to be housed in good quality accommodation rather than the sh1t holes this country has a reputation for holding them in. So no one should have any issue with them being there.

But the hotel should not be mixing refugees with holiday makers. People go on holiday to relax and get away from their real lives. It’s a break. A decent hotel should be providing a relaxing environment.

And race doesn’t come into it. There were reviews of kids running wild. If I saw a review of a hotel that had kids running wild, red, white, multicoloured, I wouldn’t want to be staying there.

Edited due to poor spelling. No words changed.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2021 21:54]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

"By no means racist" on 19:12 - Oct 10 with 2381 viewsArnoldMoorhen

"By no means racist" on 19:03 - Oct 10 by GlasgowBlue

First of all, these refugees deserve to be housed in good quality accommodation rather than the sh1t holes this country has a reputation for holding them in. So no one should have any issue with them being there.

But the hotel should not be mixing refugees with holiday makers. People go on holiday to relax and get away from their real lives. It’s a break. A decent hotel should be providing a relaxing environment.

And race doesn’t come into it. There were reviews of kids running wild. If I saw a review of a hotel that had kids running wild, red, white, multicoloured, I wouldn’t want to be staying there.

Edited due to poor spelling. No words changed.
[Post edited 10 Oct 2021 21:54]

I broadly agree, however the article goes on to say that the hotel has been subject to a hate campaign due to the decision to housing the Refugees, including a bomb hoax, and that it is possible that negative reviews may be fake and part of that campaign.

Had the Hotel responded to the request for comment from the journalists then they might have been able to clarify that.
"By no means racist" on 19:20 - Oct 10 with 2331 viewsGlasgowBlue

"By no means racist" on 19:12 - Oct 10 by ArnoldMoorhen

I broadly agree, however the article goes on to say that the hotel has been subject to a hate campaign due to the decision to housing the Refugees, including a bomb hoax, and that it is possible that negative reviews may be fake and part of that campaign.

Had the Hotel responded to the request for comment from the journalists then they might have been able to clarify that.

Yeah that’s completely different. That’s the locals and it’s bang out of order. And if they have given fake reviews then it’s also wrong.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

"By no means racist" on 20:40 - Oct 10 with 2232 viewsfactual_blue

"By no means racist" on 18:54 - Oct 10 by gtsb1966

The reviews said there had been instances of thieving and kids running around all over the place. I wouldn't want to stay there either if I read that.

These are of course without doubt disinterested and dispassionate reviews.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

"By no means racist" on 21:01 - Oct 10 with 2190 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"By no means racist" on 17:55 - Oct 10 by SouthBucksBlue

I think these were people staying there and writing the reviews rather than who had concerns after reading the reviews.

Of course, there are two possibilities. One is that the hotel has mixed the refugees in with holiday makers and allowed the refugee children to run amok. The other is that these people have overreacted to knowing there are refugees staying in the same hotel when they are having to pay for the same accommodation.

My main point, though, is that whenever someone feels the need to defend their comments with something like "I am being by no means racist" it is rather telling to their underlying thinking. They recognise that their comments are going to sound racist, which then makes you wonder about their full motivation.

Login to get fewer ads

"By no means racist" on 23:49 - Oct 10 with 2064 viewsBluedicea

People always have 'concerns' when foreigners are involved.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/news.sky.com/story/amp/scotland-police-alerted-to

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

"By no means racist" on 00:37 - Oct 11 with 2041 viewsSouthBucksBlue

"By no means racist" on 18:27 - Oct 10 by factual_blue

Errr…The reviews that concerned them were of children running amok and of thefts.
"By no means racist" on 07:48 - Oct 11 with 1951 viewsZXBlue

"By no means racist" on 19:12 - Oct 10 by ArnoldMoorhen

The Hotel is famously bad and in awful condition.
"By no means racist" on 08:06 - Oct 11 with 1914 viewsmikeybloo88

"By no means racist" on 21:01 - Oct 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think these were people staying there and writing the reviews rather than who had concerns after reading the reviews.

Of course, there are two possibilities. One is that the hotel has mixed the refugees in with holiday makers and allowed the refugee children to run amok. The other is that these people have overreacted to knowing there are refugees staying in the same hotel when they are having to pay for the same accommodation.

My main point, though, is that whenever someone feels the need to defend their comments with something like "I am being by no means racist" it is rather telling to their underlying thinking. They recognise that their comments are going to sound racist, which then makes you wonder about their full motivation.

Perhaps they simply recognise that in this country today, any criticism or negativity towards foreigners or ethnic minority groups will be immediately labelled by some as being racist, even if the observation is valid... so they got their reply in first?
"By no means racist" on 08:21 - Oct 11 with 1883 viewsnoggin

"By no means racist" on 08:06 - Oct 11 by mikeybloo88

Perhaps they simply recognise that in this country today, any criticism or negativity towards foreigners or ethnic minority groups will be immediately labelled by some as being racist, even if the observation is valid... so they got their reply in first?

Evidence?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

"By no means racist" on 10:57 - Oct 11 with 1784 viewsFather_Jack

"By no means racist" on 08:06 - Oct 11 by mikeybloo88

Criticism or negativity towards an ethnic group (minority or otherwise) is racism by definition.

Less is more.

"By no means racist" on 19:10 - Oct 11 with 1624 viewsSouthBucksBlue

"By no means racist" on 10:57 - Oct 11 by Father_Jack

Criticism or negativity towards an ethnic group (minority or otherwise) is racism by definition.

But it wasn’t necessarily towards an ethnic group. It was towards children running amok and towards theft.
"By no means racist" on 20:40 - Oct 11 with 1550 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"By no means racist" on 19:10 - Oct 11 by SouthBucksBlue

But it wasn’t necessarily towards an ethnic group. It was towards children running amok and towards theft.

"I am by no means being racist but ..."

Maybe it was purely a comment on how the hotel is run but it doesn't appear that way.

"By no means racist" on 20:41 - Oct 11 with 1547 viewsNthsuffolkblue

"By no means racist" on 20:40 - Oct 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

Maybe it was purely a comment on how the hotel is run but it doesn't appear that way.

My Grandad used to preface almost all of his racist comments with "I don't mean to be racist but ..."

"By no means racist" on 21:42 - Oct 11 with 1494 viewsFather_Jack

"By no means racist" on 19:10 - Oct 11 by SouthBucksBlue

I was responding to MikeyBloo88 who was making a different point.

Less is more.

"By no means racist" on 22:36 - Oct 11 with 1444 viewsSouthBucksBlue

"By no means racist" on 20:40 - Oct 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

Why not? My interpretation is that the objection was to uncontrolled children and thefts and they wanted to point out that it was not to Afghan refugees.
"By no means racist" on 22:40 - Oct 11 with 1439 viewsmikeybloo88

"By no means racist" on 10:57 - Oct 11 by Father_Jack

No it's not...criticising the actions of a person who is not of the same nationality or colour as me is not necessarily racist, it is simply condemning their actions for being wrong irrespective of their race or colour.
"By no means racist" on 22:49 - Oct 11 with 1427 viewsSouthBucksBlue

"By no means racist" on 22:40 - Oct 11 by mikeybloo88

No it's not...criticising the actions of a person who is not of the same nationality or colour as me is not necessarily racist, it is simply condemning their actions for being wrong irrespective of their race or colour.

Quite.
"By no means racist" on 22:50 - Oct 11 with 1426 viewsFather_Jack

Yeah and excuse my pedantry but you said "group" not "person".

Less is more.

"By no means racist" on 06:44 - Oct 12 with 1353 viewsnoggin

"any criticism or negativity towards foreigners or ethnic minority groups will be immediately labelled by some as being racist"

Your words.
[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 7:16]

"By no means racist" on 06:48 - Oct 12 with 1346 viewsnoggin

"By no means racist" on 20:41 - Oct 11 by Nthsuffolkblue

My Grandad used to preface almost all of his racist comments with "I don't mean to be racist but ..."

She literally states that she can't be racist because she once worked with asylum seekers. lol.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024