Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Our next priority: sort out our away form 08:56 - Oct 11 with 3081 viewsDarth_Koont

4 of the next 5 games are away from home.

The next set of games already seems to be a defining spell to see if we can maintain the gradual improvement and keep pace with the top of the table. But this will be asking a lot.

The settled defence and Morsy are a change from the beginning of the season so should give us something to build on. But wonder if we’ll see a slight change ahead of them to make us tougher on the road?

I wouldn’t be averse to seeing El Mizouni in there alongside Morsy. And maybe think about adding a bit more work rate and strength in the front 4 like playing Pigott behind Bonne and with Chaplin and Burns to the side?

Alternatively, we might have turned a corner, learnt a lesson from the Accrington game and we stick with a winning side ... but I do think we need to be able to keep the ball higher up the pitch for longer when playing away.

Pronouns: He/Him

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 09:01 - Oct 11 with 2473 viewsHerbivore

Our away form under Cook has been abysmal so this run of games feels key to our season. We need to show that we've learnt how to play away from home and that we can pick up wins away from PR. We'll know more about how our season might look after this set of fixtures.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2021 9:20]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 09:12 - Oct 11 with 2450 viewsitfcjoe

I know people don't like to go back to last season, but since Cook has come in, our away form is absolutely awful

Gillingham - L -1-3
Fleetwood - L - 0-2
Portsmouth - L - 1-2
Wigan - D - 0-0
Rochdale - D - 0-0
AFC Wimbledon - L - 0-3
Charlton - D - 0-0
Northampton - L - 0-3
Swindon - W - 2-1
Shrewsbury - D - 0-0
Burton - L - 1-2
Cheltenham - L - 1-2
Lincoln - W - 1-0
Accrington - L - 1-2

Played 14
Won - 2
Drawn - 4 (All of which were 0-0)
Lost - 8
For - 8
Against - 20

When we tried to attack away we conceded goals, when we tried to shut the door we were absolutely impotent going forwards......and the manner of the 3 away defeats this season is a huge concern.

If we can't turn that away from round in the next 5 games, then Cook is not going to be able to lead us to promotion this season. We need to compete first and foremost, earn the right to play and be able to see out the tough periods of the game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 09:14 - Oct 11 with 2412 viewsDarth_Koont

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 09:01 - Oct 11 by Herbivore

Our away form under Cook has been abysmal so this run of games feels key to our season. We need to show that we've learnt how to play away from home and that we can pick up wins away from PR. We'll know more about how our season might look after this set of fixtures.
[Post edited 11 Oct 2021 9:20]

To be fair that away record is mostly because our defence was comparatively at 6s and 7s at the start.

Since then with Donacien, a settled CB pairing and Morsy ahead we’ve looked much more solid. But the problem against Accrington was we were pushed back and literally didn’t front up.

I’m cautiously optimistic that we can make that adjustment. But this is False Dawn FC, of course!

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 09:17 - Oct 11 with 2389 viewsHerbivore

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 09:12 - Oct 11 by itfcjoe

I know people don't like to go back to last season, but since Cook has come in, our away form is absolutely awful

Gillingham - L -1-3
Fleetwood - L - 0-2
Portsmouth - L - 1-2
Wigan - D - 0-0
Rochdale - D - 0-0
AFC Wimbledon - L - 0-3
Charlton - D - 0-0
Northampton - L - 0-3
Swindon - W - 2-1
Shrewsbury - D - 0-0
Burton - L - 1-2
Cheltenham - L - 1-2
Lincoln - W - 1-0
Accrington - L - 1-2

Played 14
Won - 2
Lost - 8
For - 8
Against - 20

When we tried to attack away we conceded goals, when we tried to shut the door we were absolutely impotent going forwards......and the manner of the 3 away defeats this season is a huge concern.

If we can't turn that away from round in the next 5 games, then Cook is not going to be able to lead us to promotion this season. We need to compete first and foremost, earn the right to play and be able to see out the tough periods of the game

Yeah, that's an abysmal record against what isn't exactly a list of League 1 big hitters. Our away form so far this season, albeit only four games, is worryingly similar to last season. This next 5 game block feels make or break, really hope we can work out how to be a much more effective side away from PR.

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 09:18 - Oct 11 with 2388 viewsDarth_Koont

Gillingham - L -1-3
Fleetwood - L - 0-2
Portsmouth - L - 1-2
Wigan - D - 0-0
Rochdale - D - 0-0
AFC Wimbledon - L - 0-3
Charlton - D - 0-0
Northampton - L - 0-3
Swindon - W - 2-1
Shrewsbury - D - 0-0
Burton - L - 1-2
Cheltenham - L - 1-2
Lincoln - W - 1-0
Accrington - L - 1-2

Played 14
Won - 2
Lost - 8
For - 8
Against - 20

I know people don’t like it but I almost completely ignore last season. Yes, Cook didn’t get a tune out of them but that was no surprise either.

It’s a completely different job and about building a team and performances from scratch.

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 09:20 - Oct 11 with 2378 viewsHerbivore

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 09:14 - Oct 11 by Darth_Koont

To be fair that away record is mostly because our defence was comparatively at 6s and 7s at the start.

Since then with Donacien, a settled CB pairing and Morsy ahead we’ve looked much more solid. But the problem against Accrington was we were pushed back and literally didn’t front up.

I’m cautiously optimistic that we can make that adjustment. But this is False Dawn FC, of course!

I'm less convinced that any corner has been turned, especially away from home. We got bullied out of the game at Accrington in much the same way we did at Cheltenham despite having Morsy and the new CBs playing. Those performances were also worryingly similar to a lot of our away performances under Cook last season. We simply have to put a sustained run together now if this season isn't going to be a write off. I hope we can do it but I am far from sure we can.

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 09:25 - Oct 11 with 2324 viewsitfcjoe

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 09:18 - Oct 11 by Darth_Koont

I know people don’t like it but I almost completely ignore last season. Yes, Cook didn’t get a tune out of them but that was no surprise either.

It’s a completely different job and about building a team and performances from scratch.

It feels a similar pattern though for whatever reason - we are capable of keeping games tight if we show no ambition, but as soon as the game opens up a bit we concede quite easily.

The Lincoln game the only real exception to that, are we better against better sides? Because Pompey was one of our better away performances last season, until we lost control of the game and couldn't wrestle it back.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 09:36 - Oct 11 with 2253 viewsNthQldITFC

I'm with you on that.

My, admittedly crude, take on it is that last season was a (virtually) completely different squad of players and staff, so if you're going to group Cook's performance here last season with this season, you might just as well group the rest of his career in as well, which makes rather good reading, and should inspire both hope and patience.

I totally respect the differing views of other, better-informed, posters on here though.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Login to get fewer ads

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 10:23 - Oct 11 with 2164 viewsSteve_M

Gillingham - L -1-3
Fleetwood - L - 0-2
Portsmouth - L - 1-2
Wigan - D - 0-0
Rochdale - D - 0-0
AFC Wimbledon - L - 0-3
Charlton - D - 0-0
Northampton - L - 0-3
Swindon - W - 2-1
Shrewsbury - D - 0-0
Burton - L - 1-2
Cheltenham - L - 1-2
Lincoln - W - 1-0
Accrington - L - 1-2

Played 14
Won - 2
Lost - 8
For - 8
Against - 20

Yep, it's a pattern that does not - Lincoln aside - show too many signs of changing. Accrington was incredibly disappointing because, after looking reasonably comfortable for an hour or so, we completely crumbled in the last half hour. It was very similar to Cheltenham in that regard.

Even Saturday, once Shrewsbury equalised and got in our faces, we really didn't like it and looked very hesitant. They could have quite easily scored a second in that period of play.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 10:26 - Oct 11 with 2145 viewsDarth_Koont

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 09:20 - Oct 11 by Herbivore

I'm less convinced that any corner has been turned, especially away from home. We got bullied out of the game at Accrington in much the same way we did at Cheltenham despite having Morsy and the new CBs playing. Those performances were also worryingly similar to a lot of our away performances under Cook last season. We simply have to put a sustained run together now if this season isn't going to be a write off. I hope we can do it but I am far from sure we can.

Think there were a few differences between the two performances. At Cheltenham we couldn’t defend our box, at Accrington the standout problem was that we couldn’t keep the ball and the team up the pitch.

We’ve learnt and improved from Cheltenham, now we need to do the same from Accrington.

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 10:58 - Oct 11 with 2058 viewshomer_123

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 10:23 - Oct 11 by Steve_M

Yep, it's a pattern that does not - Lincoln aside - show too many signs of changing. Accrington was incredibly disappointing because, after looking reasonably comfortable for an hour or so, we completely crumbled in the last half hour. It was very similar to Cheltenham in that regard.

Even Saturday, once Shrewsbury equalised and got in our faces, we really didn't like it and looked very hesitant. They could have quite easily scored a second in that period of play.

Missed from about 6 yards didn't they?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 11:05 - Oct 11 with 2041 viewspositivity

shrewsbury was positive for me because of that; we found a new way to win and turned round the narrative in a way that we'd totally failed to against cheltenham and stanley.

small steps sure, but undoubtedly in the right direction

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 11:09 - Oct 11 with 2021 viewsJammyDodgerrr

Even if you do completely ignore last season, we've lost three games away this season, in the same manner in each of the three. It's a huge concern.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 11:12 - Oct 11 with 2006 viewsIpswichKnight

Cambridge has all the features of a bad performance coming, big hostile crowd, small pitch and a home team that will be bang up for it. All of that normally equals us capitulating to a loss.

I hope I’m proved wrong on Saturday as we need to start Winning away from home.
Our next priority: sort out our away form on 11:17 - Oct 11 with 1981 viewsIllinoisblue

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 11:12 - Oct 11 by IpswichKnight

Cambridge has all the features of a bad performance coming, big hostile crowd, small pitch and a home team that will be bang up for it. All of that normally equals us capitulating to a loss.

I hope I’m proved wrong on Saturday as we need to start Winning away from home.

Big hostile crowd. Lol

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 11:20 - Oct 11 with 1970 viewsDarth_Koont

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 11:09 - Oct 11 by JammyDodgerrr

Even if you do completely ignore last season, we've lost three games away this season, in the same manner in each of the three. It's a huge concern.

Not in the same manner from what I saw.

Missed opportunities and slack defending vs. Burton.
Missed opportunities and a horror show against long throw-ins vs. Cheltenham
Didn’t do enough in the opposition half (with the ball and defending from the front) vs. Accrington.

We’re a lot better defensively based on the first two, and hopefully we’ve learnt our lesson from Accrington re: being a lot braver and tougher in midfield and attack. The team is evolving and slowly making small gains. But yes, we need to be stronger and more productive away from home hence my OP.

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 11:22 - Oct 11 with 1949 viewsChrisd

No better time to improve that away form with these up and coming games. I still have that concern when we go behind, we can't get back into the game when we are playing away from Portman Road. Nevertheless, a couple of wins and that will soon change. I do get the sense that things are slowly turning for the better under PC, regardless of whom we've beaten, as I know some will say it's only Doncaster and Shrewsbury, but winning breeds confidence. A win on Saturday against Cambridge would be a great start to this tricky run of fixtures.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 11:42 - Oct 11 with 1894 viewsHighgateBlue

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 11:05 - Oct 11 by positivity

shrewsbury was positive for me because of that; we found a new way to win and turned round the narrative in a way that we'd totally failed to against cheltenham and stanley.

small steps sure, but undoubtedly in the right direction

We won against Shrewsbury, and I want to give Cook credit for that, as results are king.

However, we did fall victim to the old habit of conceding quite soon after scoring. Against better sides (and there are plenty of them), we'll fail to get the three points if we do this. Draws are no good, given our current position. We need wins, and I think that means not switching off once we've got the lead. I really don't know the reason but it seems to be a habit.
Our next priority: sort out our away form on 12:41 - Oct 11 with 1804 viewspositivity

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 11:42 - Oct 11 by HighgateBlue

We won against Shrewsbury, and I want to give Cook credit for that, as results are king.

However, we did fall victim to the old habit of conceding quite soon after scoring. Against better sides (and there are plenty of them), we'll fail to get the three points if we do this. Draws are no good, given our current position. We need wins, and I think that means not switching off once we've got the lead. I really don't know the reason but it seems to be a habit.

we did fall victim to that habit in the first half, which we didn't against lincoln.

in the 2nd half, we gained a new habit (regained the lead, turning the flow of a game that was going against us)

we didn't then fall victim to the old habit of conceding quite soon after scoring, but instead saw the game out pretty comfortably (as against lincoln)

positive progress, just need to do it more and more often

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 13:41 - Oct 11 with 1727 viewsLankHenners

Yeah the most disappointing thing about Accrington was it was essentially a repeat of Cheltenham several weeks on which flew in the face of any claims of 'gelling' or proof we'd definitively turned a corner.

We need to be much better at putting up a fight when teams look to stamp some kind of authority on the match, which is more likely to happen away from home but has been a running theme through every game so far.

I know one of the few things Wigan fans were critical of Cook for was his away record once in the Championship and at a quick look they may have had a point - it was as bad as ours when we were relegated and not very good in the season they went down after the points deduction. Possibly where the 'Cook's Plan B is just doing Plan A better' line came from - works fine if it's firing and you can overpower teams on a regular basis but is a struggle when other teams put the pressure on. He clearly must have found a way round this before in this division and he needs to do it again otherwise we'll go on being stop-start and get nowhere.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 20:01 - Oct 11 with 1547 viewschrismakin

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 09:25 - Oct 11 by itfcjoe

It feels a similar pattern though for whatever reason - we are capable of keeping games tight if we show no ambition, but as soon as the game opens up a bit we concede quite easily.

The Lincoln game the only real exception to that, are we better against better sides? Because Pompey was one of our better away performances last season, until we lost control of the game and couldn't wrestle it back.

It's almost like it's taking time for a new squad to be a complete solid outfit. But instead of seeing the last 5 games as a showing that piece by piece it does appear to be moving forwards.. let's just concentrate on the past again.

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 20:25 - Oct 11 with 1515 viewsKeaneish

Fratton Park will be a watershed night, whichever way it falls. Right now, I have no idea.

Poll: Who would be your managerial preference between these two?
Blog: [Blog] £2.65 Million and Waiting?

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 20:59 - Oct 11 with 1490 viewsreusersfreekicks

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 20:01 - Oct 11 by chrismakin

It's almost like it's taking time for a new squad to be a complete solid outfit. But instead of seeing the last 5 games as a showing that piece by piece it does appear to be moving forwards.. let's just concentrate on the past again.

Still stalking Joe dear oh dear
Our next priority: sort out our away form on 22:32 - Oct 11 with 1405 viewschrismakin

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 20:59 - Oct 11 by reusersfreekicks

Still stalking Joe dear oh dear

Yes, exactly that

still stalking me? dear o dear

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 22:53 - Oct 11 with 1379 viewsreusersfreekicks

Our next priority: sort out our away form on 22:32 - Oct 11 by chrismakin

Yes, exactly that

still stalking me? dear o dear

Not really, i was actually thinking i had stumbled upon a rare thread you were not present on. I should have known better
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024