Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) 20:11 - Oct 12 with 1367 viewsBluefish

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:15 - Oct 12 with 1346 viewsFixed_It

At worst that is a penalty and a booking.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:17 - Oct 12 with 1327 viewsZXBlue

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:15 - Oct 12 by Fixed_It

The bloke ducked his head, when the ball was clearly already being played.

However, it was in the box, head high boot. Dont think he touched him tbh, but the decision was correct.
At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:17 - Oct 12 with 1314 viewsScuzzer

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:15 - Oct 12 by Fixed_It

Clear as anything.
Really poor display so far. Unimpressive

Established 1968

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:18 - Oct 12 with 1300 viewsBluefish

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:17 - Oct 12 by Scuzzer

Clear as anything.
Really poor display so far. Unimpressive

Clear as anything penalty? What am I reading?

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:19 - Oct 12 with 1301 viewsstrikalite

Dunno, but this is worth watching now...
At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:24 - Oct 12 with 1262 viewsGarv

On account of the fact that I don't think he touched him, it's not a penalty. Bit silly of Shaw but it's not as if the attacker got to the ball first is it?

As mentioned though, it's only a good thing for the game!

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:28 - Oct 12 with 1246 viewsZXBlue

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:24 - Oct 12 by Garv

On account of the fact that I don't think he touched him, it's not a penalty. Bit silly of Shaw but it's not as if the attacker got to the ball first is it?

Dangerous play. Head high boot. At best missed by an inch. How can it not be a foul?
At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:31 - Oct 12 with 1229 viewsBluefish

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:28 - Oct 12 by ZXBlue

Dangerous play. Head high boot. At best missed by an inch. How can it not be a foul?

Means overhead kicks are illegal and is an indirect free kick at worst still

Login to get fewer ads

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:34 - Oct 12 with 1219 viewsGarv

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:28 - Oct 12 by ZXBlue

I think the attacker is going in there with no intention to win the ball and every intention to get a foul, so it's cheap.

I wouldn't argue that much though, can see why it's given obviously.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:37 - Oct 12 with 1201 viewsPlums

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:24 - Oct 12 by Garv

You don’t need contact for it to be a foul

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:48 - Oct 12 with 1135 viewsFixed_It

The pundits in the studio seem to disagree with you. But one of them is Roy Keane...
[Post edited 12 Oct 2021 20:49]

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:50 - Oct 12 with 1124 viewsWickets

Indirect if no contact , penalty if there was contact .
At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:57 - Oct 12 with 1101 viewsZXBlue

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:31 - Oct 12 by Bluefish

Means overhead kicks are illegal and is an indirect free kick at worst still

No. It doesnt.
At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 22:09 - Oct 12 with 1014 viewsSwansea_Blue

Harsh. I've seen players sent off for similar though, so could have been worse.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 05:59 - Oct 13 with 918 viewsBluefish

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:57 - Oct 12 by ZXBlue

No. It doesnt.

So what is the offence then? Break it down what he has done wrong.

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 08:42 - Oct 13 with 833 viewsrickw

Not for me at all.
Shaw cleared the ball and didn't touch the attacker, if I was either of them I'd just think it was a decent clearance and nothing more

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 18:14 - Oct 13 with 694 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 05:59 - Oct 13 by Bluefish

So what is the offence then? Break it down what he has done wrong.

From this:

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11

The offence was in the eyes of the referee either:

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned

or:

PLAYING IN A DANGEROUS MANNER

Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that it is not dangerous to an opponent.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 18:18 - Oct 13 with 687 viewsBluefish

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 18:14 - Oct 13 by You_Bloo_Right

From this:

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11

The offence was in the eyes of the referee either:

Direct free kick

A direct free kick is awarded if a player commits any of the following offences against an opponent in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
Reckless is when a player acts with disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, an opponent and must be cautioned

or:

PLAYING IN A DANGEROUS MANNER

Playing in a dangerous manner is any action that, while trying to play the ball, threatens injury to someone (including the player themself) and includes preventing a nearby opponent from playing the ball for fear of injury.

A scissors or bicycle kick is permissible provided that it is not dangerous to an opponent.

He did a scissor kick, no one was hurt

What does the FA link say the outcome is for the bottom offence?

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 18:41 - Oct 13 with 663 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 18:18 - Oct 13 by Bluefish

He did a scissor kick, no one was hurt

What does the FA link say the outcome is for the bottom offence?

I thought Shaw raised one boot rather than performed a scissor kick.

On reading the full link it would seem the offences are liable to the following action:

Reckless play - direct free kick and player cautioned
Dangerous play - indirect free kick and no caution.

So if my reading of those laws is correct (no guarantees there of course) some here thought, at worst, it was dangerous play by Shaw but, judging by the outcome, the referee considered it reckless.

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 18:46 - Oct 13 with 653 viewsPhilTWTD

Which would be an indirect free-kick rather than a penalty, wouldn't it? If there was contact it would be a foul and a penalty, as I understand the laws on these sorts of incident.
At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 18:48 - Oct 13 with 648 viewslongtimefan

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 18:41 - Oct 13 by You_Bloo_Right

On reading the full link it would seem the offences are liable to the following action:

So if my reading of those laws is correct (no guarantees there of course) some here thought, at worst, it was dangerous play by Shaw but, judging by the outcome, the referee considered it reckless.

“judging by the outcome, the referee considered it reckless”

Indeed, as evidenced by the caution.
At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 18:55 - Oct 13 with 637 viewsBluefish

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 18:41 - Oct 13 by You_Bloo_Right

It was a scissor movement and poor refereeing

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:43 - Oct 13 with 599 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 18:55 - Oct 13 by Bluefish

It was a scissor movement and poor refereeing

Well sort of but I can see why the referee came to the decision that he did. Not a "full blown" scissor kick in my view. It seemed more like the kind of "high boot" incident that can be seen many times over the course of a season and that, assuming the proximity of an opposing player, will be given as a free kick - sometimes direct, sometimes indirect I grant you. Isn't interpretation wonderful?

Anyway kind of academic as neither of us were refereeing the game. The man who was gave a penalty and appears to have the backing of the rulebook for the decision he made.

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:47 - Oct 13 with 594 viewsBluefish

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:43 - Oct 13 by You_Bloo_Right

Well sort of but I can see why the referee came to the decision that he did. Not a "full blown" scissor kick in my view. It seemed more like the kind of "high boot" incident that can be seen many times over the course of a season and that, assuming the proximity of an opposing player, will be given as a free kick - sometimes direct, sometimes indirect I grant you. Isn't interpretation wonderful?

Anyway kind of academic as neither of us were refereeing the game. The man who was gave a penalty and appears to have the backing of the rulebook for the decision he made.

Seems pretty clear that the rule book says indirect at worst

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:54 - Oct 13 with 588 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

At worst that is surely an indirect free kick? (n/t) on 20:47 - Oct 13 by Bluefish

Seems pretty clear that the rule book says indirect at worst

If the ref considers it dangerous play then yes.
If the ref considers it reckless play then no.

I appreciate and understand that you don't agree with the referee's interpretation of the laws of the game. All I am suggesting is that there is adequate flexibility within the appropriate rules for the referee to come to the conclusion that he did.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024