Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked 07:53 - Oct 13 with 2814 viewsSteve_M

Nothing startling but worth a read all the same.

https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/2021/10/people-want-to-work-less-and-theyre

How is everyone working now that covid is less prominent?

We're officially 'hybrid' working since the end of September, three days in as a baseline but I've done more as it's been really busy - something to do with global energy prices - and it's been more efficient for me to do so. The contrast with going in to an office with three people in six weeks ago is marked.

Should end up with a lot more flexibility out of it, there seems to be a general injunction not to take the piss both at a team and individual level.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:00 - Oct 13 with 1756 viewstractorboy1978

2 days in the office and 3 days from home for us. My job can be done, and was done perfectly well from home for 16 months with no need to go in. However, I really missed being in the office from a social perspective and was looking forward to going back.

It's not been anywhere near the same though with it being a rarity we are all in on the same day. I've had a couple of days where I've found myself commuting half an hour each way to then be the only member of the team in the office, which is pointless.
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:03 - Oct 13 with 1753 viewsDanTheMan

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:00 - Oct 13 by tractorboy1978

2 days in the office and 3 days from home for us. My job can be done, and was done perfectly well from home for 16 months with no need to go in. However, I really missed being in the office from a social perspective and was looking forward to going back.

It's not been anywhere near the same though with it being a rarity we are all in on the same day. I've had a couple of days where I've found myself commuting half an hour each way to then be the only member of the team in the office, which is pointless.

I got sent a picture from a friend from my old job of what the office looked like on the first official day back. This wasn't taken early or anything.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:06 - Oct 13 with 1744 viewsDubtractor

Our place is slowly moving back to some office working, but with really mixed messages from senior management about expectations, some suggesting we should be in much more and others more focused on the benefits of home working.

I've been in one day a week for the last 6 weeks or so. Trying to focus it on meeting free days though as no way I'm going into the office to sit on teams calls all day! I have appreciated seeing people face to face for actual real life conversations though.

I think there is a real mix of preferences in staff though, broadly that more senior staff are happier working from home (less distraction, nice home office), and more junior staff preferring the office due to poor home working conditions and wanting the support and assistance of other people in the office. Not sure how we're ever going to keep everyone completely happy tbh.
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 9:09]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:08 - Oct 13 with 1733 viewsJammyDodgerrr

We're doing two days in and three days at home, but it's largely been pointless. We sit in silence in the office(that's what our boss wants!) so not even a social aspect. We are mid audit and yesterday, three of the five people in the office were on teams calls and it was a nightmare and also you look quite silly because they haven't set us up properly so nobody has headphones. It is doing it for doing it's sake.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:13 - Oct 13 with 1719 viewshype313

My role has been home based for 5 years now, so obviously not much has changed from that perspective, although we used to have to go to HQ in Chester on occasions, which was generally a bit of a social, so that has been missed.

From speaking with peers who were office based, I think the novelty of home working and happy hour zoom calls has started to fade and people are looking forward to going back to some social interaction, certainly London has started to look like the norm from the past few weeks I've been down.

FWIW I do think there has been a bit of a sea change, but the Hybrid model is where I see things going, 5 days at home is too much, 5 days in the office is too much, we have the technology and had it for years to operate a hybrid model.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:20 - Oct 13 with 1677 viewsSomethingBlue

As of this month it's three days in office, two days remote for our office-based staff, of which I'm not one. Now that there's the option, though, I'm going to try and work from there about once a fortnight, it's nice to mix things up and good to keep in touch with people properly, it's been such a long time. That 3/2 split seems to be the norm in many places now, although my partner doesn't have to go back to her office at all til January.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:25 - Oct 13 with 1648 viewsDeano69

We have allowed staff to choose where to work as our job can (in the main) be done from anywhere. We have set up those wishing to work from home with a proper work set up.

That said, their kids are now one by one testing positive, so advising them to work from
Home.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:34 - Oct 13 with 1610 viewsElderGrizzly

“It depends on business need” is the official answer.

The reality is about 2 days a month for the rest of the year.

A lot of the Govt attacks on Civil Servants WFH is also against their own planning and policy. Our new office has 1 desk for every 3 employees. By design and pre-pandemic to save money.
Login to get fewer ads

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:35 - Oct 13 with 1604 viewsElderGrizzly

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:03 - Oct 13 by DanTheMan

I got sent a picture from a friend from my old job of what the office looked like on the first official day back. This wasn't taken early or anything.

I feel sad for the people who put the effort into the welcome back balloons!
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 10:32 - Oct 13 with 1477 viewsCotty

I'm in two days a week now that students are back and teaching is face-to-face. I am far more productive on the other three days a week. Happier too. That said I was unofficially hybrid working quite a bit before all this anyway.
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 10:39 - Oct 13 with 1445 viewsleitrimblue

I worked either on site or from home prior to covid. Was never a fan of going into the office but a few people used it. We have now let the office go, saving a fortune in rent
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 10:58 - Oct 13 with 1395 viewsSteve_M

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:13 - Oct 13 by hype313

My role has been home based for 5 years now, so obviously not much has changed from that perspective, although we used to have to go to HQ in Chester on occasions, which was generally a bit of a social, so that has been missed.

From speaking with peers who were office based, I think the novelty of home working and happy hour zoom calls has started to fade and people are looking forward to going back to some social interaction, certainly London has started to look like the norm from the past few weeks I've been down.

FWIW I do think there has been a bit of a sea change, but the Hybrid model is where I see things going, 5 days at home is too much, 5 days in the office is too much, we have the technology and had it for years to operate a hybrid model.

"5 days at home is too much, 5 days in the office is too much, we have the technology and had it for years to operate a hybrid model."

Yep, a definite consensus around that view I think.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 11:07 - Oct 13 with 1358 viewsMookamoo

Worked from home for the last 20 years. It can be a different type of challenge doing it full time and it will be interesting how people cope over the winter. You simply have to make the effort to go and see people or you do go a little crazy.

The better employers will all the choice and factor in meet-up days and social opportunities.
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 11:09 - Oct 13 with 1355 viewshype313

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 10:58 - Oct 13 by Steve_M

"5 days at home is too much, 5 days in the office is too much, we have the technology and had it for years to operate a hybrid model."

Yep, a definite consensus around that view I think.

I know Linkedin isn't a true marker, but there does seem to be poll after poll asking what would be the most popular model, and hybrid always comes out on top.

Seems the most plausible and sensible option, giving everyone the best of both worlds.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 11:12 - Oct 13 with 1346 viewsFreddies_Ears

Fascinating, evidence-based article.

From my own experience, I WFH'd on a flexible basis the last 3 years of my career (2011-14), even though the office was only 10 mins walk from home. I could pop in for f2f meetings, though most meetings could be dialled-in (If only Zoom had been a thing back then!). I was massively more productive in that major chunk of the job that required concentration, report-writing and client management. I was able to balance "being seen" in the office with "being seen to be online early morning to late night" with actually having a life. And no, the TV wasn't on at all during regular office hours!
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 11:17 - Oct 13 with 1321 viewsMookamoo

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 11:09 - Oct 13 by hype313

I know Linkedin isn't a true marker, but there does seem to be poll after poll asking what would be the most popular model, and hybrid always comes out on top.

Seems the most plausible and sensible option, giving everyone the best of both worlds.

Seems the obvious option. Most employers have found that people want to be productive when working from home to prove it works. The time that it can free up is too valuable to lose.

I have one client who is insisting everyone is back in the office and has lost 3 good senior members of staff in the last couple of months as they move to someone that offers the hybrid work option they want.
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 11:51 - Oct 13 with 1262 viewsJ2BLUE

Fully home based and don't ever want a job in an office again.

One day a week if I was forced.

Thankfully my employer could not ever ask us to start working from a central location as our staff are worldwide

The one good thing to come out of the pandemic is the rebellion against sh1t working conditions.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 11:56 - Oct 13 with 1239 viewsitfcjoe

My job is fairly flexible as it is, but I mostly go into the office (but it's a small home office where I'm often on my own). I'm not a great worker from home as just too do much of other things -and don't have enough intensive periods of work required due to job - I'm constantly flittering between tasks, and only have a couple of things that require fixed concentration for long periods.

My wife is now fully WFH and loves it, her job has changed and gone away from very strictly conditioned banking in retail sector to an IT change management team which is much more flexible anyway - but she may do one day every month at most in the office, and that will purely be for social as is in Northampton. Client meetings in London orwherever, but everything internal is done at home

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 11:57 - Oct 13 with 1233 viewsSarge

I’m WFH 100% of the time. I can go into the office if I want but why would I want to do that. Thankfully we’ve gone fully hybrid with no minimum mandated days in the office per week. The problem is becoming accustomed to this level of comfort might make it hard to find another job.
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 12:13 - Oct 13 with 1191 viewsKieran_Knows

It's fair to say, if I worked from home, I would never get anything done. Spent those first 3 months last year (April, May & June) working from home, and I was a nightmare.

So thankful to be in the office, where I get so much more done. My job is based around being in the yard, sorting our guys out with work, sorting lorry drivers when they come in. Was terrible trying to do it all over a phone last year.*

*typing this as I'm sat at my desk meant to be working, ha!
[Post edited 13 Oct 2021 12:14]

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 13:34 - Oct 13 with 1041 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 09:08 - Oct 13 by JammyDodgerrr

We're doing two days in and three days at home, but it's largely been pointless. We sit in silence in the office(that's what our boss wants!) so not even a social aspect. We are mid audit and yesterday, three of the five people in the office were on teams calls and it was a nightmare and also you look quite silly because they haven't set us up properly so nobody has headphones. It is doing it for doing it's sake.

Why not just install teams on your phone and use your own headphones?
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 13:35 - Oct 13 with 1040 viewsRobTheMonk

3 days on site, 2 at home for me.

I find I work more solidly in the office on those 3 days and save my admin stuff for the days at home.
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 13:36 - Oct 13 with 1040 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

I have been told I can do whatever suits me, so I tend to work from home so I can take the kids to school and go get my haircut and whatever in the day with no trouble.

I tend to start an hour earlier, take a couple of hours for lunch and pop out here and there before doing another hour at about 8.
Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 13:38 - Oct 13 with 1021 viewsReuser_is_God

Still at home but have the ability to go in whenever I want/need to.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

Thoughtful piece on WFH, productivity and hours worked on 13:42 - Oct 13 with 1002 viewslowhouseblue

what about people who don't work in an office and whose productivity is zero if they aren't present? wfh is great for those who have the option but it will lead to ever greater segmentation of working conditions and working lives - with the predominantly low paid manual workers getting the brown end of the stick yet again.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024