Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? 17:29 - Oct 13 with 4096 viewsIllinoisblue

Extended highlights here with the soothing tones of Gerry Harrison. Easy to forget what a good side Cambridge were back then with Claridge and Dublin. As I recall we weren’t great on the day. Let’s hope for a better result Saturday.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

I threw a battery..... on 21:45 - Oct 13 with 1255 viewstextbackup

I threw a battery..... on 21:16 - Oct 13 by Reuser_is_God

Just incase he got hungry.

ill take a pack of triple A's with us to pompy then

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 22:21 - Oct 13 with 1219 viewschicoazul

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 21:08 - Oct 13 by Illinoisblue

Home Nov 91, away March 92.

Well, I was there that day then!

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 23:03 - Oct 13 with 1192 viewsIllinoisblue

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 22:21 - Oct 13 by chicoazul

Well, I was there that day then!

Hey, it’s been 30 years, we’re allowed to be forgetful. Even though I was there, I spent my entire adult life convinced the Southend away game that season was played on a Sunday. It was a Saturday.

62 - 78 - 81

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 23:09 - Oct 13 with 1189 viewsgainsboroughblue

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 23:03 - Oct 13 by Illinoisblue

Hey, it’s been 30 years, we’re allowed to be forgetful. Even though I was there, I spent my entire adult life convinced the Southend away game that season was played on a Sunday. It was a Saturday.

That season was my first year of legal drinking in pubs. What a campaign to have both Southend and Cambridge away days as part of the campaign.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 02:38 - Oct 14 with 1142 viewsIllinoisblue

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 23:09 - Oct 13 by gainsboroughblue

That season was my first year of legal drinking in pubs. What a campaign to have both Southend and Cambridge away days as part of the campaign.

We were having the time of our lives back then and we didn’t even know it. Who knew that a season that started with a paltry 9k crowd at home v Port Vale would turn out so well.

62 - 78 - 81

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 12:20 - Oct 14 with 1046 viewsfarkenhell

I was in with the home supporters with a Cambridge-supporting mate (I wasn't alone judging by the number of suppressed cheers when we scored). Aside from their goal, which looks even more like a foul 30 years on, I remember we had a free-kick close to the touchline where we stood. As Warkie went to take it, one of the locals shouted out "take that mask off Wark!" Much laughter - even JW smiled.
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 12:31 - Oct 14 with 1039 viewsRadlett_blue

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 18:00 - Oct 13 by BrightonBlue

Yep, although I was sat in the Cambridge main stand as we were guests of Dion Dublins family. Had to sit still when we scored. As a child not easy. I remember the scrappy Heathcote goal. Messy game. Becks team were a nightmare to play against.

In the typical ways of the FA, who saw fit to have Stuart Pearce & Aidy Boothroyd run the England U21 team, John Beck was given a job at St George's Park, training coaches.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

I threw a battery..... on 13:28 - Oct 14 with 1004 viewsghostofescobar

I threw a battery..... on 20:54 - Oct 13 by Bloots

...at Gerry Harrison that day.

I'm not proud of it.

Assault and battery?

GhostOfEscobar

Login to get fewer ads

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 15:59 - Oct 14 with 932 viewsLetchworth_Blue

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 12:20 - Oct 14 by farkenhell

I was in with the home supporters with a Cambridge-supporting mate (I wasn't alone judging by the number of suppressed cheers when we scored). Aside from their goal, which looks even more like a foul 30 years on, I remember we had a free-kick close to the touchline where we stood. As Warkie went to take it, one of the locals shouted out "take that mask off Wark!" Much laughter - even JW smiled.

Me too. My cousin and I couldn't get tickets for the away end so we ended up going in the Habbin stand. Really hostile atmosphere so I said to him, whatever you do don't cheer if we score. Then Milton scored and I went ballistic. TWTD!
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 16:07 - Oct 14 with 926 viewsfarkenhell

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 15:59 - Oct 14 by Letchworth_Blue

Me too. My cousin and I couldn't get tickets for the away end so we ended up going in the Habbin stand. Really hostile atmosphere so I said to him, whatever you do don't cheer if we score. Then Milton scored and I went ballistic. TWTD!

The only people who seemed to take offence when I cheered our goal were two 15 year or so girls who happened to be standing next to me. They gave me dogs abuse for the rest of the match. Every time they said something, I looked straight at my mate, who was wetting himself with laughter.
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 19:50 - Oct 14 with 841 viewsFearon

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 21:03 - Oct 13 by xrayspecs

Cambridge played ugly yet effective route one football. For those who did not like MM going long, John Beck was at least three steps up in terms of how direct he was prepared to play. Throw-ins from half-way forward were launched into the box to create a scrap. Dublin and Daish were brilliant target men for them, but it really was the most extreme version of anti-football I have seen.

CUFC would water the sections between the penalty area and touchline before the game so that long balls held up. They were one of the first teams to really mess around with the away changing rooms. Small, no heating, no hot water. Real psychological warfare.

At one level, fair play. Small club bending the rules to outperform, they were Div 2, pushing on for Div 1 (now Premiership). At another level, great for football that they failed.

Was in the pen behind the goal and if memory serves me right they had greased the fence with anti-climb paint to stop us clambering up, so went home covered in paint after celebrating Milts opening goal.

I also got covered in the red anti hooligan paint whilst climbing on the fence protesting at Heathcote's foul on Craig Forrest.....my white coat was never the same again!
Was also at the cup game in 1986 , lost 1-0 and there was a bit of bother on the common afterwards if I recall correctly.
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 22:26 - Oct 14 with 780 viewsHighgateBlue

Yes I was there that day. I had totally forgotten who had scored for us, but remembered Mick Heathcote funnily enough. So strange to think we were both knocking on the door of the Premier League at that time!!!
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 23:30 - Oct 14 with 749 viewssnotbucket

Me too. Had to admire how john Beck got so much out of that ragtag bunch. Scary to think how close they got to promotion.
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 09:47 - Oct 15 with 685 viewsbrazil1982

I was there, remember it well. I'm sure also there was a ridiculous (non) off side decision for Cambridge. I also recall the battery throwing!

Was anyone else in the Hare and Hounds before our home match?!
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 11:51 - Oct 15 with 641 viewsRadlett_blue

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 23:30 - Oct 14 by snotbucket

Me too. Had to admire how john Beck got so much out of that ragtag bunch. Scary to think how close they got to promotion.

"Rag-tag bunch"?
That Cambridge side included Dion Dublin, Steve Claridge, Liam Daish, Gary Rowett & Alan Kimble, all of whom went on to play in the Premier League.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024