Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? 17:29 - Oct 13 with 4087 viewsIllinoisblue

Extended highlights here with the soothing tones of Gerry Harrison. Easy to forget what a good side Cambridge were back then with Claridge and Dublin. As I recall we weren’t great on the day. Let’s hope for a better result Saturday.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 17:41 - Oct 13 with 2785 viewsBobbychase

I was in my first year at Uni that season and there was a Cambridge fan in my corridor in halls. He was insufferable after they beat us at Portman Road, and after this game as well. I quite enjoyed the summer term, when we came back after Easter Town were already promoted, then Cambridge got absolutely blown away by Leicester in the play-offs. He went off football for a while.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 17:43 - Oct 13 with 2765 viewsyesjohn99

Yes, 10 years old. What a season. Went to every Saturday match that season bar millwall away!!
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 17:46 - Oct 13 with 2749 viewsChurchman

No, work got in the way. Went to the home game and we couldn’t cope with their Wimbledon-esq way of playing. Disappointing.

They were certainly a very effective team and obviously had some good players, but because of the way they played and the gamesmanship they employed (for the time), I could never describe them as a ‘good’ side.
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 18:00 - Oct 13 with 2714 viewsBrightonBlue

Yep, although I was sat in the Cambridge main stand as we were guests of Dion Dublins family. Had to sit still when we scored. As a child not easy. I remember the scrappy Heathcote goal. Messy game. Becks team were a nightmare to play against.
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 18:05 - Oct 13 with 2693 viewslongtimefan

I was there, I remember it well and can’t really believe it’s nearly 30 years ago.
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 18:35 - Oct 13 with 2644 viewsfloridablue

Yes, and this is the first time I've seen the highlights since, thanks for posting. Back then, I had friends who knew one of the Cambridge players and arranged the hospitality tickets during their cup run at Old Trafford and Highbury. Great couple of seasons for them!
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 18:38 - Oct 13 with 2640 viewsIllinoisblue

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 17:41 - Oct 13 by Bobbychase

I was in my first year at Uni that season and there was a Cambridge fan in my corridor in halls. He was insufferable after they beat us at Portman Road, and after this game as well. I quite enjoyed the summer term, when we came back after Easter Town were already promoted, then Cambridge got absolutely blown away by Leicester in the play-offs. He went off football for a while.

I was trying to recall who they lost to in the playoffs. Amazing to think how close them came to being in the premier league.

62 - 78 - 81

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 18:48 - Oct 13 with 2600 viewssohamblue

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 18:38 - Oct 13 by Illinoisblue

I was trying to recall who they lost to in the playoffs. Amazing to think how close them came to being in the premier league.

Yup I was there, great atmosphere
Login to get fewer ads

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 18:58 - Oct 13 with 2570 viewsITFC_Forever

Yep, we were in the pen to the left of the goal as you looked at the pitch, not far from the battery thrower.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 19:04 - Oct 13 with 2557 viewsrgp1

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 18:48 - Oct 13 by sohamblue

Yup I was there, great atmosphere

Yes great atmosphere, loads of people trying to buy my ticket off me before the match. Just felt slightly cheated by Heathcote barging Forrest into the net for their goal and getting away with it.
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 19:19 - Oct 13 with 2518 viewsgainsboroughblue

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 18:58 - Oct 13 by ITFC_Forever

Yep, we were in the pen to the left of the goal as you looked at the pitch, not far from the battery thrower.

The referee was Keren Barrett. Only weeks earlier, a buoyant North Stand during one of the many comfortable victories were doing their '......... give us a wave' to Lyall, Forrest among others then implored the ref to do also, to which he obliged to great cheers. A few weeks later, he was being pelted by batteries as a result of that goal given against us.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 20:26 - Oct 13 with 2371 viewsWestStanderLaLaLa

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 18:58 - Oct 13 by ITFC_Forever

Me too!

Poll: Your favourite thing about THAT goal?

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 20:29 - Oct 13 with 2369 viewsThe_Major

Here's the earlier fixture from that season at Portman Road. Yes, we lost, but that was one of the greatest atmospheres I've experienced at a match. Stockwell screaming "come on" after he scored particularly sticks in the mind.

Worth remembering that we were not a million miles away from the Premier League launching with both Cambridge AND Southend as members.

I threw a battery..... on 20:54 - Oct 13 with 2296 viewsBloots

...at Gerry Harrison that day.

I'm not proud of it.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 21:03 - Oct 13 with 2274 viewsxrayspecs

Cambridge played ugly yet effective route one football. For those who did not like MM going long, John Beck was at least three steps up in terms of how direct he was prepared to play. Throw-ins from half-way forward were launched into the box to create a scrap. Dublin and Daish were brilliant target men for them, but it really was the most extreme version of anti-football I have seen.

CUFC would water the sections between the penalty area and touchline before the game so that long balls held up. They were one of the first teams to really mess around with the away changing rooms. Small, no heating, no hot water. Real psychological warfare.

At one level, fair play. Small club bending the rules to outperform, they were Div 2, pushing on for Div 1 (now Premiership). At another level, great for football that they failed.

Was in the pen behind the goal and if memory serves me right they had greased the fence with anti-climb paint to stop us clambering up, so went home covered in paint after celebrating Milts opening goal.
Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 21:07 - Oct 13 with 2264 viewschicoazul

I definitely went to Cambridge away but I don’t think it was 92. Did we play them before that..?

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 21:08 - Oct 13 with 2256 viewsSWGF

Another assist

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 21:08 - Oct 13 with 2253 viewsIllinoisblue

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 21:07 - Oct 13 by chicoazul

I definitely went to Cambridge away but I don’t think it was 92. Did we play them before that..?

Home Nov 91, away March 92.

62 - 78 - 81

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 21:09 - Oct 13 with 2251 viewsITFC_Forever

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 21:03 - Oct 13 by xrayspecs

Cambridge played ugly yet effective route one football. For those who did not like MM going long, John Beck was at least three steps up in terms of how direct he was prepared to play. Throw-ins from half-way forward were launched into the box to create a scrap. Dublin and Daish were brilliant target men for them, but it really was the most extreme version of anti-football I have seen.

CUFC would water the sections between the penalty area and touchline before the game so that long balls held up. They were one of the first teams to really mess around with the away changing rooms. Small, no heating, no hot water. Real psychological warfare.

At one level, fair play. Small club bending the rules to outperform, they were Div 2, pushing on for Div 1 (now Premiership). At another level, great for football that they failed.

Was in the pen behind the goal and if memory serves me right they had greased the fence with anti-climb paint to stop us clambering up, so went home covered in paint after celebrating Milts opening goal.

They grew the grass longer in the corners, not watered it… watering it would make the ball skid on and out of play.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 21:11 - Oct 13 with 2243 viewsIllinoisblue

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 21:09 - Oct 13 by ITFC_Forever

They grew the grass longer in the corners, not watered it… watering it would make the ball skid on and out of play.

Didn’t Beck also turn off the heat and hot water in the away changing rooms? You have to admire that kind of petty s5ithousery

62 - 78 - 81

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 21:13 - Oct 13 with 2235 viewsxrayspecs

Who else was at Cambridge away in 1992? on 21:09 - Oct 13 by ITFC_Forever

Well remembered,
I threw a battery..... on 21:14 - Oct 13 with 2238 viewsIllinoisblue

I threw a battery..... on 20:54 - Oct 13 by Bloots

I'm not proud of it.

I once joined in with a chant of “Kevin Piper, what a w@nker” in the Blues Bar. Little harsh and he took it quite well.

62 - 78 - 81

I threw a battery..... on 21:14 - Oct 13 with 2236 viewstextbackup

I threw a battery..... on 20:54 - Oct 13 by Bloots

I'm not proud of it.

what made u take a battery to the game?! lol

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I threw a battery..... on 21:16 - Oct 13 with 2225 viewsReuser_is_God

I threw a battery..... on 21:14 - Oct 13 by textbackup

what made u take a battery to the game?! lol