Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electricity shock 18:46 - Oct 13 with 1929 viewsGeoffSentence

My current contract is coming to an end and the quote for a new 1 year fixed contract is more than double what it was last time round.

Switching isn't an option, as the quotes I have looked at are even higher.

Octopus are refreshingly honest and they post this when you go to their site for swicthing

You need to know this 👇
Right now, energy prices are at record highs, and most homes will be better off staying with their current energy supplier for the winter.

If your fixed term is coming to an end, don't choose a new tariff or switch supplier.

Instead, let your supplier automatically move you to their default tariff, so your prices are protected by the Government's Energy Price Cap.

So we will be riding it out on a my current supplier's variable rate over winter and hope it all eases up over spring.

Judging by our experience this is going to be massive. A lot of people are going to suffer real hardship this winter just trying to cover their energy costs.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Electricity shock on 18:52 - Oct 13 with 1878 viewshype313

Yep, its a real problem, people are going to genuinely have to choose between heating and eating this winter.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Electricity shock on 19:13 - Oct 13 with 1809 viewsSteve_M

Yes, the problem with the cap was always that it marked a disjoint between retail and wholesale prices. Suppliers have either needed that or are absorbing the difference for now but won’t indefinitely and the cap will definitely have to increase next year.

Wholesale prices are largely a result of high gas demand in Asia exacerbated by some production outages in Russia which have reduced surplus gas there.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Electricity shock on 19:29 - Oct 13 with 1772 viewsHerbivore

Our fixed term deal also runs out soon. Another fixed term deal would have seen our bill go up by almost £100 per month. The variable rate means it'll go up by about £20-30 a month so still a hit but could be a lot worse.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Electricity shock on 21:18 - Oct 13 with 1598 viewsRyorry

Most maybe, but not all would be better staying put.

Having forcibly been moved from Green to Shell, whose daytime rates are 2.5 x higher than Green (albeit night rate is 1p cheaper/unit) and who only run to E7, not an E10 tariff as Green & now many others still do, I'll be switching to the cheapest E10 all-renewables supplier asap.

Many other retirees & WFHers will be doing same, as the early afternoon 1-4pm GMT (2-5pm BST) cheap rate is absolutely invaluable - not everyone is a night-owl!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Electricity shock on 22:05 - Oct 13 with 1517 viewsGeoffSentence

Electricity shock on 21:18 - Oct 13 by Ryorry

Most maybe, but not all would be better staying put.

Having forcibly been moved from Green to Shell, whose daytime rates are 2.5 x higher than Green (albeit night rate is 1p cheaper/unit) and who only run to E7, not an E10 tariff as Green & now many others still do, I'll be switching to the cheapest E10 all-renewables supplier asap.

Many other retirees & WFHers will be doing same, as the early afternoon 1-4pm GMT (2-5pm BST) cheap rate is absolutely invaluable - not everyone is a night-owl!

As it happens I was with Pureplanet who have just announced that they are the latest company to cease trading.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Electricity shock on 20:39 - Oct 14 with 1287 viewsOsborneOneNil

Go and check out Utility Warehouse. Only fixed tariff below price cap. Works best if you add all the other services too though, so broadband and mobile too.

I do a bit with them if anyone needs a hand.
Electricity shock on 09:52 - Oct 15 with 1103 viewsJimmyJazz

Electricity shock on 22:05 - Oct 13 by GeoffSentence

As it happens I was with Pureplanet who have just announced that they are the latest company to cease trading.

13 energy suppliers have stopped trading now - it's anticipated that number will double over the next 6 months

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Electricity shock on 09:22 - Oct 16 with 956 viewsBLUEBEAT

Am moving house soon.

Assume I can just transfer my current tariff over?

Poll: W or W

Login to get fewer ads

Electricity shock on 11:20 - Oct 16 with 879 viewsTheBlueGnu

Electricity shock on 19:13 - Oct 13 by Steve_M

Yes, the problem with the cap was always that it marked a disjoint between retail and wholesale prices. Suppliers have either needed that or are absorbing the difference for now but won’t indefinitely and the cap will definitely have to increase next year.

Wholesale prices are largely a result of high gas demand in Asia exacerbated by some production outages in Russia which have reduced surplus gas there.

...........you don't reckon that the prices increases are also due to the greed of the energy company shareholders and managers then ?

Poll: Other than "The Mean Machine", what was your favourite Wacky Races car ?

Electricity shock on 09:30 - Oct 17 with 735 viewsONENIL78

Electricity shock on 11:20 - Oct 16 by TheBlueGnu

...........you don't reckon that the prices increases are also due to the greed of the energy company shareholders and managers then ?

The North Sea is awash (no pun intended) with wind farms and gas....that worked out well then
Electricity shock on 15:59 - Oct 17 with 659 viewsRyorry

Electricity shock on 22:05 - Oct 13 by GeoffSentence

Sorry to hear that.

Had a nice surprise when just checked out my own meter tho - it's continuing to run according to E10 hours, so cheap rate (01.00-06.00; 14.00-17.00 & 21.00-23.00 BST) is currently ticking up as my kettle boils for cup of coffee :) Shell can't dispute the units actually recorded on the meter, whatever their own E7 tariff of 00.30-07.30 might be on paper.

Took me over 4 hours to extract that info re their own tariff from Shell (on hold, "chats" with bot didn't have answer, nor did FAQs, nor did 2 reps + their 2 supervisors, nor did 6 of their reps on twitter - but the 7th one did ..!).
[Post edited 17 Oct 2021 16:00]

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024