Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? 13:00 - Oct 15 with 3835 viewsPhilTWTD

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:00 - Oct 15 with 2619 viewsPhilTWTD

I'm a definite no, incidentally.
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:10 - Oct 15 with 2572 viewsJohnhoz

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:00 - Oct 15 by PhilTWTD

Of course it's 'no'

Ipswich v Norwich

Cambridge v Peterborough

That's it

I reckon we should sack the manager every time we lose a game
Poll: Right now, why do you go to games

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:13 - Oct 15 with 2547 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Sorry, who are Cambridge?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:20 - Oct 15 with 2529 viewsHarlestonblue

I say yes. the clubs are only about 50 miles apart. It's not the big East Anglian derby, of course, but in my book it is a derby.
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:24 - Oct 15 with 2505 viewsBlueBadger

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:20 - Oct 15 by Harlestonblue

I say yes. the clubs are only about 50 miles apart. It's not the big East Anglian derby, of course, but in my book it is a derby.

It's a second tier derby, like Colchester or, at a massive push, Southend.
A bit like any Madrid derby that doesn't involve Real or Athletico.
[Post edited 15 Oct 2021 13:28]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:27 - Oct 15 with 2501 viewsSuperblue95

I agree. I think a lot of people mistake a local derby as having to be a rivalry, which obviously us vs Cambridge isn’t. In fact they’re a club I have a soft spot for.

We seem to play them away most years in pre season and often bring a decent following as it’s local so qualifies as a derby in my book.

Anyone hyping this game up though is an embarrassment.

My hobbies include being quiet during trips, clapping with songs, and diabetes.
Poll: Englands player of the tournament

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:31 - Oct 15 with 2443 viewsBluefish

If a London team plays a London team doe it get called a London derby?

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:31 - Oct 15 with 2484 viewsEastTownBlue

That is about the distance between Tranmere and Accrington. How many people would describe that as a derby ? In other parts of the country (London, Yorkshire & Lancashire) how many would call a match a derby between Ipswich and Norwich with a distance of 45 miles ?

East Anglia has so few professional teams that geographically matches between those teams are called derbies.
Login to get fewer ads

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:47 - Oct 15 with 2386 viewsgalacticoblue

Ipswich v Cambridge is an East Anglian derby.
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:57 - Oct 15 with 2333 viewsDubtractor

Probably more like an el classico than a local Derby......

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:07 - Oct 15 with 2292 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

No. Derby's aren't merely about geographical distance, although that's often involved. They're about historical rivalry. Brighton and Crystal Palace is a derby, but there are loads more clubs nearer to Crystal Palace than Brighton.

There is nothing historical between Cambridge and Ipswich.

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:08 - Oct 15 with 2280 viewsN2_Blue

Absolutely not

Poll: Is it now time to sack Paul Cook?

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:10 - Oct 15 with 2260 viewsPendejo

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:31 - Oct 15 by EastTownBlue

That is about the distance between Tranmere and Accrington. How many people would describe that as a derby ? In other parts of the country (London, Yorkshire & Lancashire) how many would call a match a derby between Ipswich and Norwich with a distance of 45 miles ?

East Anglia has so few professional teams that geographically matches between those teams are called derbies.

All relative

Until Ipswich Wanderers meet the Town in anything other than Suffolk Senior Cup (?) then our local Derby will be the nearest team to us geographically so anyone of Colchester to Peterborough, I'm sure there have been occasions where the nearest opposition was Tottenham.

The likes of Accrington and Tranmere have nearer neighbours than we do...

Though Chester and Macclesfield used to be a him finger of a Derby...

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:11 - Oct 15 with 2264 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Yes. Not everyone lives in Suffolk or give two sh1ts about Norwich.

Ipswich Cambridge
Ipswich Peterborough

Much more fun.
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:13 - Oct 15 with 2248 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:11 - Oct 15 by BlueBlueBluex2

Yes. Not everyone lives in Suffolk or give two sh1ts about Norwich.

Ipswich Cambridge
Ipswich Peterborough

Much more fun.

What sort of Ipswich supporter doesn't think Ipswich-Norwich is a derby?!

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:15 - Oct 15 with 2235 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:13 - Oct 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

What sort of Ipswich supporter doesn't think Ipswich-Norwich is a derby?!

The ones where Norwich means very little. I live in Cambridge so Cambridge to me is a lot more relevant than another team that I have very little thought about.

Have a think about it, I never went to school where there were Norwich fans. I don't work anywhere with Norwich fans. I really don't get the hype but hey if you guys like it, fill your boots.
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:21 - Oct 15 with 2209 viewsEastTownBlue

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:10 - Oct 15 by Pendejo

All relative

Until Ipswich Wanderers meet the Town in anything other than Suffolk Senior Cup (?) then our local Derby will be the nearest team to us geographically so anyone of Colchester to Peterborough, I'm sure there have been occasions where the nearest opposition was Tottenham.

The likes of Accrington and Tranmere have nearer neighbours than we do...

Though Chester and Macclesfield used to be a him finger of a Derby...

Exactly, which is all relative.

There isn’t much history between Ipswich and Cambridge except for the 91-92 season. Although if that rivalry lasted beyond the one season it could have developed as the fanzines at the time referred to them as “Scumbridge”.
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:46 - Oct 15 with 2143 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:15 - Oct 15 by BlueBlueBluex2

The ones where Norwich means very little. I live in Cambridge so Cambridge to me is a lot more relevant than another team that I have very little thought about.

Have a think about it, I never went to school where there were Norwich fans. I don't work anywhere with Norwich fans. I really don't get the hype but hey if you guys like it, fill your boots.

You're very much talking about yourself. I doubt you can find another Town supporter who doesn't see the rivalry between Town and Nodge. Derby's aren't about what's pertinent (or near) to you; I recently lived near to Crystal Palace and now live near to Arsenal, but I wouldn't see either of them as Town rivals.

You don't even sound like a football supporter, frankly.

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:53 - Oct 15 with 2118 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:46 - Oct 15 by The_Flashing_Smile

You're very much talking about yourself. I doubt you can find another Town supporter who doesn't see the rivalry between Town and Nodge. Derby's aren't about what's pertinent (or near) to you; I recently lived near to Crystal Palace and now live near to Arsenal, but I wouldn't see either of them as Town rivals.

You don't even sound like a football supporter, frankly.

A Derby is only pertinent to the individual, you are not obliged to work yourself up into a furore alongside others if you don't feel it.

Norwich means nothing to me other than somewhere to have a nice day out. Nothing more, nothing less.
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:59 - Oct 15 with 2091 viewsjontysnut

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:31 - Oct 15 by Bluefish

If a London team plays a London team doe it get called a London derby?

I think I once saw Plymouth v Portsmouth billed as a naval dockyard derby
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 15:01 - Oct 15 with 2076 viewsJ2BLUE

12.5% voting yes. FFS.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 15:12 - Oct 15 with 2033 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Definitely not.
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 15:18 - Oct 15 with 2013 viewswkj

For us, probably not - for them, quite possibly. I know the same seems to be true for Colchester.

Crybaby
Poll: Who do you want to have win the playoffs then?
Blog: The Identity Crisis of Modern Football

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 15:39 - Oct 15 with 1960 viewsHullblue

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:15 - Oct 15 by BlueBlueBluex2

No gripes with your unusual take on our derbies, but I do think your reasoning is interesting.

I grew up in Ipswich and I don’t think I met a Norwich fan until I moved up North for uni! It’s not like lots of derbies where loads of the fans live and work alongside each other and get under each other’s skin. Because there’s a relatively big distance between the two you rarely meet them - that does contribute to the animosity in a weird way though because you build up this picture of them in your head as six-fingered sister botherers. Then you finally meet one, and you realise you were right.

Blog: Sleep is the Cousin of Life

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 15:59 - Oct 15 with 1914 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 15:39 - Oct 15 by Hullblue

No gripes with your unusual take on our derbies, but I do think your reasoning is interesting.

I grew up in Ipswich and I don’t think I met a Norwich fan until I moved up North for uni! It’s not like lots of derbies where loads of the fans live and work alongside each other and get under each other’s skin. Because there’s a relatively big distance between the two you rarely meet them - that does contribute to the animosity in a weird way though because you build up this picture of them in your head as six-fingered sister botherers. Then you finally meet one, and you realise you were right.

So that reads - possibly - that you dislike Norwich because everyone around you does.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024