Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? 13:00 - Oct 15 with 3832 viewsPhilTWTD

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies?

Your Vote:

You need to be logged in to vote on our site polls

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 11:07 - Oct 16 with 423 viewsArnieM

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 09:39 - Oct 16 by The_Flashing_Smile

How does that make Cambridge a derby then?

I’d say it’s more of a derby match than Wet Spam ever was…. Something to do with proximity

Wet spam 70 odd miles
Cambridge 50 miles
Scum 45 miles

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 11:10 - Oct 16 with 424 viewsArnieM

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 09:58 - Oct 16 by LegendofthePhoenix

I don't think you'd find 1% of West Ham fans that consider ITFC a "derby". There were 4 or 5 years, starting with the infamous 1975 FA Cup semi, in which there was a sense of rivalry, mostly from us and exacerbated by the fact that Noj were a joke at that time, so WHU were the geographically closest team that were good enough to be a rival.

No they definitely wouldn’t now, and many of them didn’t view it so at the time either. But at that time, it’s was definitely viewed as such by Town fans, as a derby game, because they were the nearest club to us.

Not sure why there’s so much bloody anger on here by some, because as a much older Town I’ve brought this to the table of conversation.

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 11:21 - Oct 16 with 414 viewsCharlie_pl_baxter

Phil you got the key wrong, ref should be "no but in a different coulour"

Poll: We recruit two strikers, one has to be Bonne or Wickham, who would you have?

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 11:44 - Oct 16 with 396 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 11:04 - Oct 16 by Dyland

That's kinda how it works though.

Football rivalries are determined by history, and the tribe, not by personal preference. It's what makes football unique, and such a rich part of the social tapestry beyond the game itself, the skills and tactics and business side, in England anyway.

Everything in life is personal preference. I prefer to just have my own mind and not get caught up in the Norwich thing.
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 11:53 - Oct 16 with 384 viewsHerbivore

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 15:01 - Oct 15 by J2BLUE

12.5% voting yes. FFS.

I'm fully expecting Phil to exercise the ban hammer on those who voted yes.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 11:59 - Oct 16 with 374 viewsHerbivore

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 11:44 - Oct 16 by BlueBlueBluex2

Everything in life is personal preference. I prefer to just have my own mind and not get caught up in the Norwich thing.

You not buying into the Norwich rivalry doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. That's not how life works. You can't decide stuff out of or into existence.

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 12:03 - Oct 16 with 365 viewsBluefish

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 10:47 - Oct 16 by Dyland

Everton are Liverpool's historical rivals you sausage. And it is a derby, of course.

The Man U thing was really just a way for Liverpool fans to wind up Evertonians :)

Is spurs v West ham a derby or Preston v Blackburn or boro v Sunderland or Chelsea v arsenal or qpr or Fulham or any other London team

These games are regional derbies to the rest of the footballing world just like norwich vs Kings Lynn would be

It is only tin pot melts that get upset about it

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 12:11 - Oct 16 with 348 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 11:59 - Oct 16 by Herbivore

You not buying into the Norwich rivalry doesn't mean it doesn't exist though. That's not how life works. You can't decide stuff out of or into existence.

Absolutely it does exist, just as a Derby between us and Cambridge exists for me.
Login to get fewer ads

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 12:16 - Oct 16 with 343 viewsHerbivore

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 12:11 - Oct 16 by BlueBlueBluex2

Absolutely it does exist, just as a Derby between us and Cambridge exists for me.

Ipswich v Cambridge isn't a derby. It being significant for you does not mean it's a derby.

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 12:24 - Oct 16 with 339 viewsbournemouthblue

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:15 - Oct 15 by BlueBlueBluex2

The ones where Norwich means very little. I live in Cambridge so Cambridge to me is a lot more relevant than another team that I have very little thought about.

Have a think about it, I never went to school where there were Norwich fans. I don't work anywhere with Norwich fans. I really don't get the hype but hey if you guys like it, fill your boots.

Given the distance between Norwich, it's quite common for people to be at their local school and not know any Norwich fans, in some ways that leads to greater dislike for one another because it doesn't humanise the supporters

I'm led to believe in our fairly easy early days, there was a Cambridge club, I'm not sure it was Cambridge United but they were considered our biggest rivals?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 12:26 - Oct 16 with 340 viewstimothyeo

Really wish PC hadn't bigged this up in the media as a big Derby game. Its just made me cringe and given them lot up the road yet another stick to beat us with. Peak Ipswich
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:46 - Oct 16 with 310 viewsBlueBlueBluex2

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 12:16 - Oct 16 by Herbivore

Ipswich v Cambridge isn't a derby. It being significant for you does not mean it's a derby.

Oh, so I can’t call it derby?
Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:55 - Oct 16 with 306 viewsHerbivore

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 13:46 - Oct 16 by BlueBlueBluex2

Oh, so I can’t call it derby?

You can if you really want to, but that doesn't make it a derby. Sunderland is the nearest club to me currently so I could say when we play Sunderland that it's a derby but I'd also be wrong.

Are Town-Cambridge matches derbies? on 14:46 - Oct 16 with 285 viewsBurns7

Well let’s be honest we’re not seeing Norwich for 5 years or more unless they drop down a couple of leagues!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024